Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accord Exterior Issues

Comments

• I have yet to see factory paint that is as bad as yours sounds.

I have a friend who is the owner of a body shop with 25yrs experience. He receives numerous referrals from local high end car dealers including Jaguar, Mercedes and Volvo. Mind you these referrals are for the dealer's customers.

He has also repaired new cars, with window sticker and all, for the dealers. Keep in mind that new vehicles, foreign and domestic, generally travel great distances before they arrive at your local dealer. The potential exists for chains, hooks, hail and other debris to cause damage during transport. Have you ever watched cars being loaded/unloaded on a hauler? Tight spaces with many opportunities for damage. Dealers do not pull off the window sticker and sell the car as used because of said damages.

I don't buy new for two reasons... depreciation and that gut wrenching feeling when your new ride gets scratched, dented, or worse yet... wrecked. It's quite hard to replicate the paint work of Mr. Roboto at the factory. It also has the advantage of painting the vehicle's disassembled shell.
  • 06accordx206accordx2 Posts: 17
    I have two 06 accords...one Saphire Blue, the other Redonda Red. BOTH cars show paint chipping around the nose and both side view mirrors. I can't figure out the mirror chips, but their evident on both 06 Accords.
  • v6driverv6driver Posts: 5
    I have 2006 Redondo Red V6 EX. 3800 miles. I can see a dozen chips on the hood, most barely visible, but three or four quarter to half millimeter in size. (I am sure the darker colors are at a disadvantage.) Nothing on side mirrors. Went to autobody shop & he said it is fairly common with this body style in all colors. He had a silver one on the lot with same issues. Expressway driving (which I do little of) worst he said. No solutions. I will talk to the dealer when I do the oil change, but I am not very hopeful. Otherwise, car has been perfect.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Posts: 172
    Which engine did you purchase?
    And something that I'll probably get: http://www.invisiblemask.com/

Kelly
    After reading this forum, it appears that Honda Accords are fairly suceptible to road debris, which causes paint chips. I'm trying to determine the best solution to protect the surface of my new car.

From what I've read online, there are basically two options:
    1. A made-to-order bra
    2. 3M Protective Film

Here are some of the products I've looked at:
    http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
    http://www.clearbra.net/
    http://www.xpel.com/
    http://www.honda-parts.net/acnosmasful.html

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
  • I have a 98 Honda Accord Coupe EX and the paint is fading away. The roof has spots of faded paint, the trunk and around the edges of the windows. Has anyone else experienced this. :cry:
    I'm getting ready to have some 3M ScotchGuard paint protction film installed on my new EX next Monday. Does nayone have any words of wisdom before I turn my car over to the installer?

BTW, I decied to go with this product: http://www.xpel.com/

Although there are similar products, I have to admit that their web site demonstration is what really sold me. Check it out here: http://www.xpel.com/video_gravel.asp

Here are a few other incredible photos: http://www.xpel.com/relations/viewrelease.asp?id=24

Kelly
  • I had same problem with 94 Black Accord - roof has serious fading that looks horrible. For those in this forum who like to respond with "what do you expect after 10 years".

I drove a Civic 234,000 miles with few chips and no fading.
    I have a 98 Ford Taurus with 120,000 miles, no chips , no fading.

I have a 2005 Accord with 3 or for chips and one the size of a small fingernail.

Honda paint sucks and I hope Consumer Report eventually reflects this instead of giving them full "red dots" for everything. :mad:
  • I'm happy to report that this past Wednesday I had an X-pel kit installed on my 2006 Accord and it looks great!

Plus, as luck would have it, I was driving to an appointment the following morning and heard a big bang on the hood of my car. I looked up and there was a large dump truck about 5 car lengths in front of me.

When I got out of the car and surveyed the strike all I found was a large clump of dirt which was embedded in the surface of the X-pel material. I thought for sure that it had torn the vinyl, but it didn't. I wiped it away with a wet cloth and it looks like new.

If I didn't have this product on my car I can almost guarantee that there would have been a major chip on the hood of my new baby. The bottom line is that I highly recommend this product, especially for those of you considering a bra. Just make sure that whomever you get to install the X-pel knows what he or she is doing. It's tricky stuff to work with, but if done properly it's almost invisible.
  • I have an '06 Accord (graphite pearl) and the paint chips if you look at it funny.

I've also noticed that the windshield gets scratched if a speck of dust brushes against it. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Plus I'm dealing with anoying rattles from the dash and driver's side door.

I know these are all minor issues, but I really doubt my next car will be a Honda. I think the quality has just slipped too much.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I have a 2006 Accord EX in Graphite as well and have not noticed the paint being sub-par at all. No rattles to speak of, although I just had a squeaky console door lubricated.

No windshield chips for me either, although I'm not a tailgater (I leave at least 2 seconds between me and the lead car, if possible).

27,900 miles.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Yup -- I just traded in my 98 LX for an 08 Accord. Within the past month of owning my 98, I noticed a very faint "blotch" appearing on my back trunk lid. I had the VERY light brown color (almost looked silver) - and so the paint fading likely would have turned up much sooner on a darker colored car. I was very surprised! My car did spend time in the sun and I live in Wyoming where it was also subject to significant ice and snow. However, the car also spent about 1/4 of its time either in a garage or a covered structure. I was very surprised that it was starting to fade!
  • Maybe I got a bad paint job on mine? I've had to use the touch up paint quite frequently. I didn't have this problem with my old 1990 Accord.

I don't tailgate but NJ traffic means a lot of stop and go driving and not much in the way of safe-following distance.

I hope your Accord stays trouble free!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I don't even own the touch-up paint because I've only got one main rock chip at the moment.

Other than a faulty rear-view mirror (interior) and a sticky gas flap that were that way when I got the car, I've had no issues at all arise.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Maybe I got a bad paint job on mine? I've had to use the touch up paint quite frequently. I didn't have this problem with my old 1990 Accord.

Unfortunately paint is not what it was then. From what I hear environmental concerns have cause a change in either the paint or the painting processes, and the paint is not as tough as it used to be. Maybe you could do some research on it. I have the nose mask for my 03, but I only use it when I plan to take the car on an extended highway trip. It's not really needed around town, and don't want to constantly have to remove it, clean it and the car, and put it back on. Something you may want to think about.
  • I've also heard this about the paint. I wonder if this is true for all cars? This is definitely something to research. If I find anything really interesting I'll post it here. Or if anyone already knows the answer to this question feel free to post! :D

I'll probably invest in a nose mask of some sort before the next long road trip to visit family (about 600 miles round trip). It breaks my heart to see all the chips in hood.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I wonder if this is true for all cars?

Yes, I think it affects all the automotive paints, and some if not all other types of paint too.
  • dlitedlite Posts: 12
    I have a month-old 2010 accord Alabaster Silver and I have similar problem. I can see some pattern all over the hood, especially at night under the parking lot light. The pattern looks like tiger's back or zebra. The quality of 2010 accord is horrible.
  • dlflyboydlflyboy Posts: 24
    I have a 2009 accord in white diamond. I'll have it 2 yrs this coming August and my paint looks as good as the day I purchased it. I love it!
This discussion has been closed.