Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accord Exterior Issues

2»

Comments

• I have an '06 Accord (graphite pearl) and the paint chips if you look at it funny.

I've also noticed that the windshield gets scratched if a speck of dust brushes against it. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Plus I'm dealing with anoying rattles from the dash and driver's side door.

I know these are all minor issues, but I really doubt my next car will be a Honda. I think the quality has just slipped too much.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I have a 2006 Accord EX in Graphite as well and have not noticed the paint being sub-par at all. No rattles to speak of, although I just had a squeaky console door lubricated.

No windshield chips for me either, although I'm not a tailgater (I leave at least 2 seconds between me and the lead car, if possible).

27,900 miles.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Yup -- I just traded in my 98 LX for an 08 Accord. Within the past month of owning my 98, I noticed a very faint "blotch" appearing on my back trunk lid. I had the VERY light brown color (almost looked silver) - and so the paint fading likely would have turned up much sooner on a darker colored car. I was very surprised! My car did spend time in the sun and I live in Wyoming where it was also subject to significant ice and snow. However, the car also spent about 1/4 of its time either in a garage or a covered structure. I was very surprised that it was starting to fade!
  • Maybe I got a bad paint job on mine? I've had to use the touch up paint quite frequently. I didn't have this problem with my old 1990 Accord.

I don't tailgate but NJ traffic means a lot of stop and go driving and not much in the way of safe-following distance.

I hope your Accord stays trouble free!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I don't even own the touch-up paint because I've only got one main rock chip at the moment.

Other than a faulty rear-view mirror (interior) and a sticky gas flap that were that way when I got the car, I've had no issues at all arise.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Maybe I got a bad paint job on mine? I've had to use the touch up paint quite frequently. I didn't have this problem with my old 1990 Accord.

Unfortunately paint is not what it was then. From what I hear environmental concerns have cause a change in either the paint or the painting processes, and the paint is not as tough as it used to be. Maybe you could do some research on it. I have the nose mask for my 03, but I only use it when I plan to take the car on an extended highway trip. It's not really needed around town, and don't want to constantly have to remove it, clean it and the car, and put it back on. Something you may want to think about.
  • I've also heard this about the paint. I wonder if this is true for all cars? This is definitely something to research. If I find anything really interesting I'll post it here. Or if anyone already knows the answer to this question feel free to post! :D

I'll probably invest in a nose mask of some sort before the next long road trip to visit family (about 600 miles round trip). It breaks my heart to see all the chips in hood.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I wonder if this is true for all cars?

Yes, I think it affects all the automotive paints, and some if not all other types of paint too.
  • dlitedlite Posts: 12
    I have a month-old 2010 accord Alabaster Silver and I have similar problem. I can see some pattern all over the hood, especially at night under the parking lot light. The pattern looks like tiger's back or zebra. The quality of 2010 accord is horrible.
  • dlflyboydlflyboy Posts: 24
    I have a 2009 accord in white diamond. I'll have it 2 yrs this coming August and my paint looks as good as the day I purchased it. I love it!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    The White Diamond has a Pearl finish that is more durable than the Metallic paint colors. I have a friend who has an '02 Acura 3.2TL in the same exact color- White Diamond Pearl and it still looks new! And it has been exposed to the heat and humidity (Atlanta) every day for the last eight years (never garaged).
    edited April 2010
    Mine is a new car. So, it is not about durability but about quality control issue I guess. From what I can find Acura people seem to have similar problem http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579743, but not as bad as mine.
    You can take a look at what I am talking about.
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/7c523ab7be.jpg
    http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/s/trouble/PDSG_Mottling.html
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 184
    Metallic paints have gotten VERY expensive and all car manufacturers are trying to get by using the absolute minimum amount of paint to save money. If you open your hood, or the fuel cap flap, you will notice that there is no silver paint inside these areas, but you will see a light grey, which is the non-metallic base coat sprayed on the entire car before the final color coat is applied. The base coat is almost the same color (light grey) as the metallic coat (silver). Then when the silver is applied, a much smaller amount of the metallic paint is required to cover the base coat. After the metallic coat is applied , a final clear coat is sprayed on to protect the color coat.

Your hood looks like the painting robot was programmed to the point where almost enough color coat was applied. Almost, but not enough.

Or, your hood was buffed prior to delivery for some reason, and what I'm seeing are buffer swirl marks. I just can't tell for sure from the photo.

Either way, I concur that it's sure ugly. :confuse:
    edited April 2010
    I went to a local body shop, and asked if this was repainted. He said that he has been doing painting for 15 yrs and he is sure that it was not repainted because the surface was so smooth. So, I guess it was not buffed either. When I got this car, it was just washed dripping water and parked under shade. I couldn't see this until a couple of weeks later at night. I though it was glaring under the sun. Now, I know that it is not glaring. So, make sure to carefully inspect the vehicle under various lighting and different angle before you sign the contract. BTW, its not just the hood. Its on fenders, roof and trunk too.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 184
    Our Accord is Mystic Green and thank goodness it doesn't have that paint defect at all. No lines whatsoever. I feel your pain.

BTW- In an effort to save even more money, some manufacturers do not bother painting the roofs of bigger trucks & vans. If it can't be seen from the ground, it may not be painted with the color coat. Base coat & clear coat is all they have. Weird, huh?
2»
This discussion has been closed.