Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accord Exterior Issues

13»

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    The White Diamond has a Pearl finish that is more durable than the Metallic paint colors. I have a friend who has an '02 Acura 3.2TL in the same exact color- White Diamond Pearl and it still looks new! And it has been exposed to the heat and humidity (Atlanta) every day for the last eight years (never garaged).
  • dlitedlite Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    Mine is a new car. So, it is not about durability but about quality control issue I guess. From what I can find Acura people seem to have similar problem http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579743, but not as bad as mine.
    You can take a look at what I am talking about.
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/7c523ab7be.jpg
    http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/s/trouble/PDSG_Mottling.html
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 178
    Metallic paints have gotten VERY expensive and all car manufacturers are trying to get by using the absolute minimum amount of paint to save money. If you open your hood, or the fuel cap flap, you will notice that there is no silver paint inside these areas, but you will see a light grey, which is the non-metallic base coat sprayed on the entire car before the final color coat is applied. The base coat is almost the same color (light grey) as the metallic coat (silver). Then when the silver is applied, a much smaller amount of the metallic paint is required to cover the base coat. After the metallic coat is applied , a final clear coat is sprayed on to protect the color coat.

Your hood looks like the painting robot was programmed to the point where almost enough color coat was applied. Almost, but not enough.

Or, your hood was buffed prior to delivery for some reason, and what I'm seeing are buffer swirl marks. I just can't tell for sure from the photo.

Either way, I concur that it's sure ugly. :confuse:
  • dlitedlite Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    I went to a local body shop, and asked if this was repainted. He said that he has been doing painting for 15 yrs and he is sure that it was not repainted because the surface was so smooth. So, I guess it was not buffed either. When I got this car, it was just washed dripping water and parked under shade. I couldn't see this until a couple of weeks later at night. I though it was glaring under the sun. Now, I know that it is not glaring. So, make sure to carefully inspect the vehicle under various lighting and different angle before you sign the contract. BTW, its not just the hood. Its on fenders, roof and trunk too.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 178
    Our Accord is Mystic Green and thank goodness it doesn't have that paint defect at all. No lines whatsoever. I feel your pain.

BTW- In an effort to save even more money, some manufacturers do not bother painting the roofs of bigger trucks & vans. If it can't be seen from the ground, it may not be painted with the color coat. Base coat & clear coat is all they have. Weird, huh?
13»
This discussion has been closed.