Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,400
    I'll bet in 3 years we see a hybrid 3'er. That should be good for 35 -40 mpg and 0-60 in 5 seconds.

It's really exciting to see a separate electric motor for each axle also. I saw a Japanese prototype of a super luxo wheel limousine with 100 HP at each wheel and steering as well. Cool stuff.

There is also a T-0 prototype electric sports car that blows away a Porsche Carrera in the 1/4!

Regards,
    OW
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "I'll bet in 3 years we see a hybrid 3'er. That should be good for 35 -40 mpg and 0-60 in 5 seconds. "

Maybe. I think it's more likely that we'll first see a diesel three with the same numbers... I'm in favor of diesel currently, but hybrid technology may blow away what we've got sooner than we think.

I'm not into the whole bragging about power thing, at least not for my car. If i want to puff, i'll point out my 312# bench press. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,103
    You sure that isn't 3 X 12# bench press.. because, even I can do that... ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    I agree. For comparable performance my nod will go to the more efficient vehicle.

I do like the rags real world mileage. The EPA MPG doesn't always jive with me. Some vehicles I get better, some worse. Way back...I had a civic...but could only get 26 mpg...taking it to red line all day does that; but that's where the power is...and my driving style demands most of the power :)
    I'm not into the whole bragging about power thing, at least not for my car. If i want to puff, i'll point out my 312# bench press.

The power reference was comparing electric motors to the old tech oil burners. It's really cool when all you that hear is wind as you are pinned back into the seat not the grunt and puff of the engine. Nostalgic but not really good for the environment in terms of noise and air pollution.

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "I'm not into the whole bragging about power thing, at least not for my car. If i want to puff, i'll point out my 312# bench press."

312?? Come on, any one who has hit the weight room knows the "triple doughnut" is 315 pounds. I don't even think you can load a standard barbell to exactly 312 pounds, given the smallest plates are 2.5 lbs in my gym. So what gives? Please don't tell me you aren't using one of those girlish Bowflex rubber band machines. :cry:

You've got me beat on the bench, but how's 30 dips with a 35 pound dumbell between your ankles? That's my pre-rotator cuff surgery record that I'm shooting to beat by mid summer ;)
    "It's really cool when all you that hear is wind as you are pinned back into the seat not the grunt and puff of the engine."

I'm not sure how i feel about this. Do you personally have an electric car so that you know how cool it is? Personally, i like a good engine note, and frankly, in normal driving i never notice it. Of course, under WOT is different.

My main problem with hybrids now is that i'm not convinced that they are currently good for the enviroment. They burn less gas, but does that offset the extra construction, disposal, and operating costs, in both energy and pollution, and possibly shorter lifetime? I dunno.

And, yes, habi, i meant to type 315. Good catch. I was racing a friend once, and that was the goal. Much more fun that cardio training--lift, stuff face, rest. :)

Not sure about the dips, i always do 'em at the end, no weight, 10-20 reps depending on how much i've burned myself out. But i'll give ya that one in any case. :)
    DH, never drove one, but here is info on the CA company who built the T-Zero which toasts some of the best sports cars of today. "Look Ma, No More Foreign Oil!"

AC Propulsion is a California corporation founded by Alan Cocconi in 1992 to develop, manufacture, and license technology for electric propulsion. Cocconi envisioned a new type of vehicle that is efficient but powerful, zero-emission but fun to drive, petroleum-free but convenient to use, all because it is electric. That vision continues to guide the company. We are dedicated to making electric vehicles that people want to drive.

AC Propulsion designs and engineers motors, inverters, chargers, battery systems and complete vehicles, and conducts R&D programs for automotive OEMs and other clients in areas such as electric and hybrid vehicle development, battery testing, and hybrid power unit development. Our R&D and manufacturing facilities in San Dimas, California include an extensive power electronics and electric motor development laboratory, electronics assembly and test equipment, an automated battery test stand, a 200-horsepower motor and transmission dynamometer with automated data acquisition, a machine shop, a fabrication shop, a composite shop, and complete vehicle service bays.
    AC Propulsion has recently introduced the eBox electric, an EV conversion equipped with the latest AC Propulsion technology, which will be available in limited numbers starting late 2006.

I hope auto companies such as BMW decide to go electric sooner rather than later. It is a major step to remove the basis for most contemporary wars. (They used to wage wars predominantly over trade.) It's past time we begin eliminateing this current "reason" for conflict.

Regards,
    OW
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Thank you OW. That'a terrific value, IMO. (the Vishnu mod)

Just a couple of questions for you. Is it a factory authorized modification? Added by the dealer? What happens to the factory warranty?

TagMan
    TM,
    This is NOT authorized by the factory. Apparently, it is supposed to be non-detectable.

Here are some FAQ's.

link title

Regards,
    OW
  • kamdogkamdog Posts: 28
    I also care about fuel efficiency, just because I dont like having bad fuel economy in my face. I charge all my gas anyway, but I always keep track of my mpgs. So, please answer the question, what kind of mileage are people getting?
  • Hey everyone, quick question, probably a dumb one but kinda new to this thing,

what's the process of ordering a custom 335i? how long does it take, etc.? i'm not interested in the euro delivery option, but wanted to customize the car...

thanks!
    The vishnu mod is most certianly non non-detectable. If you blow up the engine, and the mod is there, they *will* find it. The "chip" is easy to yank out, so if you have only that, you can noramlize your car before service/repair. But the turbo plumbing mods, and pellet in the vacuum tube? Not so easy!
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    The "chip" is easy to yank out, so if you have only that, you can noramlize your car before service/repair. But the turbo plumbing mods, and pellet in the vacuum tube? Not so easy!

That's my take on it. I do like the "plug & play" piggy back circuit... makes it relatively easy... but the rest is a different story.

With 91 octane (seasonal here in California), the Vishnu mod adds a maximum of only 20 hp to the 300 stock hp.

Still... for anyone wanting the nominal increase, the system is an obvious bargain, IMO.

TagMan
  • Who is you dealer so that I can get the same price?
  • While in college I did 150 in a stock 1994 RX-7 on I-10 coming from New Orleans you can hit 155 or more in this Bimmer.
  • glhglh Posts: 3
    Go to the dealer, select the options/color you want, pay a deposit and wait for your car!! Once ordered you can actually get a production date.

Originally my car was scheduled to be produced in May, it has now moved up to the last week of March. Then another several weeks for it to get here.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "While in college I did 150 in a stock 1994 RX-7 on I-10 coming from New Orleans you can hit 155 or more in this Bimmer."

First, glad you are still around to talk about it.

Second, the 2,800lb 255hp 1994 RX7 was one of the best handling sports cars of its day and would be more stable under high speed than an M coupe, let alone a 3 series sedan. So, while I still think it's somewhere between stupid and idiotic on the intelligence scale to drive a car 150 mph on public highways, at least you picked a pretty good one to do it in.

Third, I'm reminded of a college friend whose rich girlfriend's dad had a Ferrari. He was allowed to use it one day, so long as he was "careful". As he drove the car by himself a mere 135 mph at dawn on I79, a deer ran out onto the road. He almost missed it, but clipped a hind leg. Which went through the windshield and embedded itself halfway through the passenger seat. He didn't have much success convincing his never to be future father in law that he was only going 75 or 80. :cry:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    I too have hit high speed on “public” roads (rural...not really public). But you have a point; watching out for grandma doing 45 in her Buick is one thing...animals are another. You don't even need a deer...a squirrel or skunk could put an end to your day just as quick at those speeds.
  • just picked up my 335i sedan, sparkling saphire/dakota black interior at murray imports, denver - outstaning! when i sold my 2002 M5 in 2005 and bought an audi a3auto, after moving to colorado from the east coast, i regretted that decision tremendously. the 335i sedan with 6 spd is truly reminiscent of my M5. my 4 teens applauded my move back to a car that has "soul" like the 335i. great tech solutions like bluetooth, sirius and gps clearly more advanced than my excellent (and raucus) but negatively affected by altitude, M5. those long commutes into denver will be a real pleasure now. highly recommend this outstanding car. important to install snow wheels/tires (blizzak) if you choose rwd over awd, like i did. my 335i twin turbo is clearly quicker than my almighty 400 hp m5 at 7000+ foot altitudes seen in foothills of rockies. a serious but literal altitude leveler ...

Question: what is your experience??
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    Well, it has been about 2 weeks since I received my 2007 335i Sedan. It now has exactly 842 miles (4 miles when I took it off the dealer lot). I had to drive it back from so. cali so had to put on some miles rather quickly. No complaint there!

Impression so far is, wow this car is fast! Now I know what the e46 M3 probably have felt like. Having 300lb of torque is amazing. I haven't pass my break in, so no readline yet. But at 4600 to 5000 rpm (I know, the manual says 4600 during break in but I was a bad boy after 750 miles); wow, I can feel the rear tires losing contact with the pavement right before DTC kicks in. It's amazing, I been a bimmer owner since 2001 (a e46 sedan and will be for life if they keep adding horses to the engine and drives the way bimmer are) and I sure hope this engine makes it into the x5 line soon since my other x5 3.0i feels a bit under power.

In any case, I got the 6 speed steptronics (reason being wife) and with the new engine; I think a firmware update for the transmission is needed sometime in the near future. Once in awhile slowing down to 5 miles and then taking off (in D mode), the engine and transmission feels like it doesn't know what to do. So it jerks harshly; enough to nearly knock my morning coffee out from under me. It doesn't happen often enough to raise concern, but twice in 842 miles was noted.

Comfort access is a must for folks who's debating whether or not. Didn't know how I lived without it before. I also got premium package, auto visors and heated seat on this car. My infant son loves the auto visors and is a must if anyone have kids. So far I only have good things to say about this car. The gas mileage average was 28 since it was all freeway. Now having it a few weeks in the city, it averages 26 so far. I will do another review after my break in period. I also plan to take this car onto the track this spring/summer and see what it can really do. Stay tune and drive on bimmer lovers, drive on....
    I got .00175 and is bmw lease.
    Has anyone here get their leather bond and car manuals etc. to fit in the glove compartment? Mine won't fit. BMW shrunk the glove compartment but seems to forgotten to shrunk there leather bond and car manuals. I finally put them in the trunk on top of the bmw tool box compartment. I hope all the cornering I will do won't have them flying around back there. Anyone here have a good place beside the coffee table inside the house?
  • were are the performance sites for this 07 335i? like exhaust and chips etc...

UncleJesse
    My manual is in the trunk as well...go figure. I haven't tried in the side door pocket yet.

Regards,
    OW
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Thanks for the info and congrats on your new 335. This car may be in my future too, so I am anxious to hear some 'real world' stories on what owners think. Did you get the Nav? If so, what do you think?
    I didn't get the Nav since I don't use it enough to really pay for it. But if I live in a bigger city; I would definitely get it.
  • rel1rel1 Posts: 1
    I am planning on getting my first BMW and prefer performance - so will most likely choose the 335i - manual.

However, I live in Chicago and would also like the awd which isn't an option on the 335i sedan - at least I don't think so.

So how does the BMW rear wheel drive handle in snow/ice?
    I have driven rear wheel most of my life and with bmw, I never have a problem. But I do not have performance tires on them; I only have H rated all season tires (premium package) which performs just fine. If you do get performance (sports package); you'll definitely need to get snow tires for them.

BMW and their DSC/DTC are great in controling the car.
  • A few months ago, an article in the "Automobiles" section of the New York Times stated that the turbo chargers in the 335i are sourced from Mitsubishi. I'm curious whether that's true. Does anybody have any insights into this question?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.