Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• dougsilverdougsilver Posts: 62
    Ditto if I was back in my younger days and just wanted to spur-of-the-moment visit Germany to pick up a car. Being older and in my own business, vacations are too precious to try and shoehorn in a destination that I am not particularly interested in.

I really don't know what the difference will be in $ between the G37 and the 335i when I finally will be ready to make the move. My greater concern is not so much the splurge to get the BMW (since I tend to keep cars so many years that the end result over time is lessened) but I recall the frustration of my 86 BMW in terms of servicing and maintenance (but it was sure a fun car to drive).
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "but I recall the frustration of my 86 BMW in terms of servicing and maintenance (but it was sure a fun car to drive)."

Fear of maintenance and repair headaches kept me away from German cars throughout the 80's, 90's and early 00's. But, in fairness, I owned a 1987 Acura Integra that, after 70,000 miles, turned into a major headache. So, I'm not sure comparing anything to the 1980's version/experience is fair.

My impression from friends and associates who own later model BMW's is that they are vastly improved over their 1980's ancestors. BUT, if you want to go beyond a 7 year/100k extended warranty, you will likely be taking more of a risk than with a Lexus or Acura. Whether that risk is worth it is highly subjective, but I must admit, after having a 911 for 18 months, the German driving dynamics and "feel" are pretty addictive.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    The Germans need to work on the quality control of their electrical component subcontractors, if you want my two cents about "the problem".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,401
    I agree. My E90 had a repair for the entire wiring harness in the steering wheel because the "Air Bag/Seat Belt" sensor could not be reset after 2 attempts to reset it.

I am sure this repair "out-of-warranty" would have been rather irritating to the financial condition. Good strategy to include a "bumber-to-bumper" to keep sales coming in.

Regards,
    OW
  • kamdogkamdog Posts: 28
    Anothre downside to ED is the process itself. First you have to order it, then they pick a date like 3 months later for you to go get it. You go get it and take it back to a shipping agent. Then it takes another 4 or 6 weeks to get it back. The whole process takes about 5 or so months from the time you order it until you can drive it home. For some, that is not a problem, and the real savings of ED make it worthwhile. For others, it is more of a hassle than the money saved.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    ..going to the BMW dealer for the "Drive for the Cure". It is a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

I'm driving a 335 coupe, and if I have time.. a 5-series wagon...

Woo Hooooo...!!!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,697
    very cool I do that event every year and enjoy it, plus its great way to test drive the cars without having a salemen in the car talking your ears off..

Tony
    Please let us know feedback from your most worthy drive. Have Fun!

Regards,
    OW
    Attended the "Drive for the Cure" event at my local BMW dealer.. They had a really nice set-up. It was catered (free lunch!) and a beautiful 80 degree day..

I had reservations to drive two specific cars, but once I signed in, it wasn't quite organized that way.. They asked me what I wanted to drive, and if it was available right then, I just hopped in and took off.. It was a 10 mile loop.. basically just down the freeway and back up.

There were a couple of entertaining spots... At the turn-around point, if you really busted it off the ramp when the light turned, you could make the left-turn signal to get back on the other ramp.. As long as you didn't mind making a 90-degree left turn at 40 MPH, it worked out just fine.. :) Traffic was fairly heavy, but moving... When you get back up to the dealership exit, there is half-mile long turn lane that is usually empty, and you can do a little high-speed acceleration testing there.. and then it ends in a 240 degree off-ramp, so you can test out the brakes.. ;)

I was scheduled to drive a 335i coupe, but there was only one, so I took the 335i Sport sedan, instead. My first observation is that I really, really miss having the sport package seats. I've had 328Xi loaners.. and never felt that comfortable, but the 335i Sport was just like being back in the old E46 Sport. Unfortunately, all of the cars were automatics, but they did have the cool shifter paddles on the wheel.

The 335i has gobs of power.. I didn't really notice it that much in accelerating from a slower speed, but once underway, if you punch it, you gather speed at an exhilirating rate. The car had great road feel.. no issues with the run-flat tires.. I guess with the higher entry speeds, you could really tell you were in a sedan, and not a sports car... a little bobbing around the turns.. but, complete control. There was a Z4 coupe that was in front of me, and driving a little too fast for conditions... cutting, weaving, etc.. I did my best to catch up to him (to signal that he should slow down, of course). He did manage to stay slightly ahead of me, and really showed off on that off-ramp.

When I got back, I put my name on the list for the Z4 coupe, and in the meantime, drove a 530XiT.. A very nice wagon, with a monstrous sunroof.. 260 HP in a wagon felt pretty poky after the 335i, but it was a very nice ride. Nice seats, but not Sport.

After that trip, my turn still wasn't up, so I asked what else was available.. Turned out to be a 650i coupe.. darn!! I thought the big coupe would feel ponderous, but it also had sport seats and didn't feel nearly that big from behind the wheel. It had a really cool heads-up display (that you can't see with polarized sunglasses). Also, a huge sunroof that had a lot of wind noise. That V-8 burble is completely different from the twin-turbo, though... and feels different, even though I'm sure that acceleration is comparable to the 335i. It was a very nice ride, and other than some visibility issues when changing lanes, it would be a great daily driver.

After the 650i ride, my turn still wasn't up for the Z4 coupe, so I partook of the free lunch and headed back to work...

A fine time was had by all.. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, all day!!

regards,
    kyfdx

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Nice writeup. Thanks. 650 coupe. Nice.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    Was that at Daniel's BMW in/near Allentown? A coworker (ex-BMW guy, currently Audi fan) went and drove the 335 Sedan. He said "fast!". The route sounds about right from what he was explaining.
    Nope.... it was in Cincinnati.. (unless you are a law enforcement professional... in that case, it was Sioux City, Iowa).

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,731
    Just the fact that BMW has such a program related to breast cancer research elevates the marque in my eyes... Thanks, BMW.

Gotta get me an invite...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I just registered for an ultimate drive next week, found a dealer near me where registration was open...we'll see what happens. :)
  • donnabgood1donnabgood1 Posts: 39
    KYFDX,

I LOVED your post about The Ultimate Drive! Your enthusiasm really came through..and I can just imagine what a fun time you had dechiering each car's qualties. Now all things being equal, if BMW said to you you could have any of those cars you drove, the 650 coupe, 335i sedan, or 530xi wagen for 99 a month, which would you choose and why? Take all the money factor, residual value, msrp cost, etc., all that stuff that usually goes into decision making, just throw all that out the window, and just pick a car for two years based on pure driving joy -- which one would you choose? Me? I think I'd pick the 650 simply for all that style...hands down that would me my pick..color would be unimportant..but ok if you insist I'll take it in Jet Black and I'd drive it like it's stolen! :blush:

Regards,
    Donna
    It's hard to ignore the actual expense of the cars, when making choices like that... So, if it didn't matter what they cost, you'd lose a little of the WOW factor of the 6-series..

Assuming that the $99/mo. deal doesn't come with a monthly stipend that lets me quit my job, I'd probably go with the 335i.. I generally lean towards smaller and lighter... and, having a 4-door is a lot easier with a family of three.

The wagon would be great, but it would have to be RWD and with the sport package..

The 6-series? If I got that, I'd never get to drive it.. ;)

Great stuff! Thank you for the feedback. I agree the sports seats are worth every penny. It is incomprehensible not to have this if you spend long hours on the road...what a difference they make.

The 335 sounds like it did well with you. I was keen to hear about your take on the 650. I know you gravitate to the smaller car but it sounds like the 650 ain't that bad. I never drove one but was always interested in the comparison of the more proficient drivers on this forum. The M version must be really over the top.

Now you have me thinking...

Regards,
    OW
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    The 6 Series has a Driving Experience all its own. If you buy a 6, you go to Spartanburg to flog their 6's for a day on their track. Here are some pictures I've found of the 6 driving event...

So it's kinda like the Ultimate drive, but all day long. :D

-Paul
    This track looks very inviting! I do like the looks of the 6'er. Should I be sensible in '08 and stay with a 3'er? Or...you guys are really going to have to help me here!

Regards,
    OW
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,731
    Thanks for the link, Walt. I've thrown my name in the hat...

I purchased Komen Foundation Golf Shirts for my wife and sister-in-law last Xmas. This scourge, unfortunately, hits close to home...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• stephendstephend Posts: 19
    Read the road test between infiniti G37 and BMW 335. Don't recall the exact words "335 limped of the track", and now I just read in Bimmer magazine that their BMW 335 test drive with speeds 70 to 80mph in 60 degree weather that the oil gauge was showing 230 when they expected 200. The magazine than indicated that it wouldn't take much more to hit the max 300. Even though I read great things about the car, I just concern about these little red flags that I am reading about. Anybody have any comments?
    I wouldn't expect the engine oil temperature to be affected all that much by outside ambient temperatures---it's not like coolant temps, which are a lot more volatile. If their logic is that 40 degrees higher outside air temp will result in 40 degrees higher oil temps, or even higher than one to one ratio, I'd like to see that proven. Sounds like an illogical conclusion to me.

Having driven cars with water temp and oil temp gauges, I never saw them rising at anything like an equal ratio.

Any engineers around to comment? This is an interesting question!

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,899
    Every 335i that I have driven(three and counting) tending to show elevated(over 280F) oil temperatures when being driven in, shall we say, a "spirited" fashion. This tells me that the car is already tuned to the bleeding edge; I would be very reluctant to drive the car on the track and/or attempt to squeeze any more power out of it. I was seriously considering buying one, but now I've about decided to pick up a one or two year old CPO M3 for similar $$$.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

Early models were missing an oil cooler... which has now been made standard equipment..

I think there is a recall to install the oil cooler on early build models.

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Yup, that would explain the high temps...
    Well 280 is high, no arguing that. My Porsche 911s ran in the 210 area and I never had any engine issues. I think if a powerplant is running consistently above 210--220, you have to expect lower engine life. But whether a peak temp is okay or not in racing, I don't know.

An external oil cooler would make a world of difference of course...night and day.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,316
    "Any engineers around to comment?

Yessir, present & accounted for.

I put an oil temperature gauge in my beloved '65 MGB & learned much up in Edmonton -- it takes forever (as in half-way to Red Deer) to warm up the oil. On the other hand, an oil cooler that uses engine coolant to "cool" the oil can actually accelerate the warmup. OTOH, if you're sporting an air-driven oil cooler or none at all, it'll take most of an hour to get the oil to anything approaching steady-state operating temperature, particularly (sorry) if it's really cold out.

Either way, I work in the gas turbine engine business these days, and synthetic oil has been the rule for decades. All our HOT (high oil temperature) sensors are set for 290 deg F +/- 10 deg. Anyone who thinks that an engine filled with synthetic oil is having anything other than a slow day at 220 deg F is, let's just say, uninformed.

Oil warms up really slowly, which is much of why (actual) MPG numbers hurt for around-town driving. . .and why the OEM's recommend 5W & 0W oil -- it'll help them get through the EPA crap that needs to be gotten through. I can guarantee you that when the EPA test is run, the oil is at the absolute highest temperature allowed by the spec.

Have a nice day.

Don't you just love those "unintended consequences?"

Ain't government wonderful?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,899
    Early models were missing an oil cooler... which has now been made standard equipment..

My last 335i drive(no pun intended) was a fairly new convertible. At what build date did they begin to fit the oil coolers?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

So you are saying 280 temp for a 3.0 TT 335 is not a big deal since it use synthetic oil, correct?

Regards,
    OW
This discussion has been closed.