Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• I bought my 335i. Well I did it on the freeway at about 10 at night so yea...so is it actually bad for the car? Cause I love my car, and dont really want to damage it when its like brand new... >< So what exactly does break in do? What if you didnt break the car in yet?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,384
    so is it actually bad for the car?

Yes.

Cause I love my car, and dont really want to damage it when its like brand new...

Well, you should have read your owners manual BEFORE you put the pedal to the metal. The manual describes the correct break-in procedure.

So what exactly does break in do?

The purpose of the break-in procedure is to ensure that the bearings and the piston rings/cylinder bores wear in properly. This is particularly important for the N52 engine because the direct fuel injection and turbocharging put extra loads on the rings and cylinder bores. Proper break-in procedures also assists the gearbox and final drive(s) internals to establish proper wear patterns.

Finally, if you want to drive 135, start attending BMW CCA Drivers Schools and learn the proper way to drive fast- in a safe and controlled environment.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• When I turn on the car and not start up the engin (which is when i press the start buttom twice) the "service engin soon" light shows up. It doesnt show when Im driving the car...is this normal?
    is this normal?

Yes.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    When did BMW stop providing owner's manuals?!?! :surprise:
    When did BMW stop providing owner's manuals?!?!

LOL!!!

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,369
    When they started leasing!

Now, the engine is cooked!

Regards,
    OW
    I was on another board when a guy asked a question; I told him that the answer was in the owners manual. He replied that he didn't have time to look it up.
    I informed him that I didn't have time to respond to people who had the answers literally at their fingertips.

Now, the engine is cooked!

Probably not, but who knows? Harsh treatment early on can never help. I remember that when I picked up my Club Sport the salesperson told me that the car will want to play, but that it was my duty to resist temptation until the break-in period was over...

That is a knowledgeable salesperson. I resisted the same in this BMW for the break in period despite the lease. I intend to give it back in outstanding shape so the next owner can enjoy it for many, many miles. That is as satisfying to me as getting into the next experience.

RTFM is what everyone should aspire to.

Regards,
    OW
    I intend to give it back in outstanding shape so the next owner can enjoy it for many, many miles. That is as satisfying to me as getting into the next experience.

I have a reputation for being obsessive about proper vehicle maintenance, and it has paid off. In late 2005 I was looking to sell my my wife's 130K 1997 528iA. Carmax offered $5000. I wound up selling the car to another customer of my BMW indie shop for $10,000. When I had my M6 for sale, a fellow CCA member gave me a $5,000 deposit without even driving it. He came back the next day with the balance and drove away.

That is what I would refer to as pride of ownership. It pays off in more than monetary terms. Good on you!

Regards,
    OW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    As far as owning a car, breaking in the engine, transmission, brakes... is one of the most important things as far as I'm concerned. A little over 5 and a half years ago when I bought my '01 Prelude, I kept the revs below 4K, didn't use the cruise control, and avoided mashing the gas pedal. I'm sure that has a little to do with how well the car is holding up today.

In contrast, before I bought my Prelude, I leased a 2000 Saab 9-3. After delivery, the dealer told me to take it easy on the car for the first 500 miles (keep it around 55-60 max). I pulled out of the dealership and crept along the side of the road (Rte 17 in NJ, a very busy highway) for about 50 feet, hit the sport button (it was a slushbox), waited for my slot to open up, and dropped the hammer. I looked down and realized I was going 90+ before I let up (this began my love affair with the turbocharger). I wonder how that car's holding up now?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,054
    ... yet, I'd bet that running a 335i up to 135 mph is unlikely to cause any future problems, even with only 500 miles..

Assuming that it wasn't red-lined to get up to that speed of course.. How high do you think a 335i is taching at 135 mph? 5000 RPM? I wouldn't worry about it.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Exactly what I was thinking. Whether you're going 135 MPH in 6th gear or 40 MPH in 2nd gear, the engine doesn't know the difference.

It's not the speed that's bad, it's how you got up there...
    It's not the speed that's bad, it's how you got up there...

True enough, but I also suspect that anyone who drives a new car 135 on the street has likewise become "up close, and personal" with the redline as well... ;)

• Well what exactly is red lined? And here is the story... One night I was driving home on the freeway. I went to about 130 mph+ 2 times. The first time i wasnt aware of it, I was just trying to pass someone and all of a sudden I realized Im going 130 mph! I was surprised on how fast the car accelerates... After that I wanted to try how fast the car can go...cause I heard by the law cars can go up to like 120 mph - 140 mph and it will be stopped even if the car can go faster. I let the cars in front of me to clear up then I stepped on the gas till the car cant go any faster...which is 135 mph. I drive automatic btw...
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    "Oh, and although RPM's in getting up to 135 are certainly important, the suggestion that 135 in top gear is really the same as 40 in 2nd or 3rd is just a little off base. Just based upon wind resistence alone, the engine power required to maintain 135 is roughly 11.4 times what is required to maintain 40. That's a poopload of demand on an engine that is far from broken in. Period."

Yep. A buttload more cylinder pressure at the same rpm. RPM is not the only factor.

Regards,
    Tom
    Sorry to sound sarcastic, but I too have heard from enough different and highly qualified experts to appreciate that proper break in for a brand new high performance engine is about the most important thing an owner can do (or, conversely, royally screw up) for the longevity of the car. Add twin turbos to the mix and you also double the importance of proper break in.

I agree completely. Frankly, I'm still not convinced that Munich has the N54 turbo motor fully sorted yet. I'm primarily concerned about the reports that some cars are wearing out their oil in under 2000 miles. With the 15,000 mile oil change interval, I'm not too enthusiastic about picking up a car just off lease.

Well what exactly is red lined?

It's the line on your tachometer that tells you "Please keep the needle under this line" or you'll do something to the motor you might regret!

Think of it as a dead line.

Regards,
    OW
    I didn't catch the automatic part of it before... I'd guess the car was near red-line on the way up, as the transmission would downshift, given any substantial throttle input....

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    I'd like to see manufacturers put little $$$$ just over the redline on the tach dial.

In 1996 I made a "money shift" (3rd to 2nd) in my ti during a track session. I saw the needle go past 8500 before I stabbed the clutch(the redline is 7500). I pulled into the pits and everything seemed fine. I later talked to a guy who club raced a ti and he told me that he once saw 9000 on a missed shift and yet the engine lasted well past the end of the season. In my case, the M42 four-banger has since passed 112K miles and it's still going strong. This was one time that I was glad I hadn't bought an E36 M3; hit 8000 rpm on an S52 engine and you are guaranteed to receive a bunch of bent valves... :cry:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    I think a redline in neutral and under power would have different effects though.

Fact is, you never know. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it bends, and sometimes the grief comes later on in the engine's life.

Depends a lot on internal engine design, and metallurgy, too.

you could rev old 60s Alfas up that high, too.

Yeah, I'm used to the US 5,500 red line....when I got into this 3'er, it scared me at 6G's. I am always religious in the red line limit but I'm sure in competition it's bound to break over the line at some point, specifically to the neophytes.

I believe most modern automatics limit the shifts below red line at full throttle but correct me if I'm wrong. The point of this tread was adherence break-in procedure. You shouldn't be floor-boarding the gas before the end of the recommended session!

Even a CPO inspection will not hint at previous over-revving conditions. Unless they test internal clearances and metal strength, it's a crap shoot. I assume in the future a computer can track those events to tip off the unsuspecting customer.

Regards,
    OW
    Back when Erik Wensberg was NA's M Brand manager he told me about a guy who had his new E36 M3 towed to his dealer- with a seriously blown engine. The guy claimed his new Bimmer "just died" while he was cruising down the interstate(his prior car was an Oldsmobile, BTW). It turns out that the E36 M3's ECU records the highest rpm reached by the engine. When they interrogated the ECU it showed 9000 rpm. Guess who's warranty claim was denied?

Great story. I knew they kept tabs on you somehow. The guy should have gotten a rev limiter. Better luck next time. I fail to see the need to go to red line in the first place. I had a Honda V45 that could do 9500rips but I never even got close. I love the guys that used to brag on how far past red line they took their engines! What a shame!

Regards,
    OW
    The guy should have gotten a rev limiter.

That car had a fuel cutoff, but this guy shifted from 3rd to 2nd and caused a mechanical over-rev.

• So will an automatic car pass the red line or it will switch gear automatically before that?
    It will upshift... You can't really exceed red-line in an automatic..

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,508
    "It will upshift... You can't really exceed red-line in an automatic.."

Or bounce off the rev limiter...