Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,925
    FYI - in case anyone was wondering. I got a 328i Cabriolet and my wife got a 3351x sedan. We love both cars and use them interchangeably depending on the weather.
    If I was to do it again I would get a 335. It is so superior for pick up and there is nothing like that turbo-boost.
    Both cars are 6 manuals. The one advantage of the 328 is gas mileage 24 to 28 for the 328 and 21 to 24 sedan. Guess when gas reaches $200 a barrel I might go with another 328, or a Tata air car!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• As most of you may be aware, it is now illegal to use a handheld while driving in California. I know my 335 has bluetooth wirless connectivity but I can't find the manual and don't have time to stop by the dealership. Do any of you guys know how to set it up? If so, can you give me a quick rundown if it's not too much to ask for.
    :confuse:
    Thanks a bunch.

Eric
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    BMWUSA.com has the procedure as well as an owners\'s manual that you can download.

Regards,
    OW
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,515
    Although Edmunds states that the DCT will be available in all 3 series,

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=128946

I have read BMW announcements saying ( at least initially ) only the Coupe & 'Vert...
    - Ray
    Thinking this a rather odd marketing strategy...
  • frankwfrankw Posts: 22
    Last spring I bought a new 2007 335i sedan (red, SP, PP, auto). Yesterday I happened to notice that the ratings on the Potenza RF tires include "Treadware 140". Does that mean 14,000 miles? My Subaru Outback had Bridgestone Turanzas with "Treadware 400".
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    Here's the info. 140 is real low so I assume 10K miles and they will be well worn!

link title

Regards,
    OW
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    That sounds about right... my last 3 sets of tires were all rated around 300 and the rears are usually to the wear-bars by 20K miles.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,443
    Yesterday I happened to notice that the ratings on the Potenza RF tires include "Treadwear 140". Does that mean 14,000 miles?

In a word, no. Read circlew's link. FWIW, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires fitted to my Mazdaspeed3 also have a 140 treadwear rating and it looks like I'll get @25000 miles out of them- and that includes three track days spent driving it as it was intended to be driven.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but thought I'd post an update on my 335i sedan just in case someone's watching. It's a 2008 (purchased in October 2007), with major options being the premium package, sports package, and automatic transmission. I now have 25,000 miles on it, and all in all, it's been a very satisfying vehicle. No major problems at all, such as fuel pump or overheating issues. It came with the Bridgestone Potenza runflats, and they were fine for about the first 15,000 miles. After that, they started getting a little noisy, at 20,000 miles, they were progressively worse, and at 25,000, I couldn't take it any more, so I switched them out for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. They still had plenty of tread left, but they were cupped so bad, I couldn't stand the noise. It's still early with the Michelins, but it sounds and feels like a new car again now.

I've had a couple of minor annoyances that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. First, on cool or cold days, after the first couple of stops, when I take my foot off the brake to start again, the car will hesitate, then jerk like someone hit me in the rear end. After the car is warmed up (driven 2 or 3 miles) this goes away, and it doesn't happen at all on warm days. Second, I have the HD radio with the ipod adapter, and with the radio, often when I'm listening to an HD1 station, when I turn the car off and come back to it later, the station has changed to HD2. Also, I like to listen to the ipod on random, but whenever I turn the car off, then back on, I have to reselect random. If anyone has experience either of these problems and found a resolution to them, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Otherwise, as I said, it's been a very reliable and satisfying vehicle.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Posts: 202
    Hey CF,

I too have an 08 335i and experience the same hesitation off idle when the car is not fully warm. I have read about a flash update from BMW about this but the fix may be worse than the problem as well. google around and you will find it on the bmw dedicated sites.

I only have about 20k miles but have been trouble free essentially. thinking about adding thateasy to install electronic turbo booster for $600 to gain an easy 60hp...
  • qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 60
    Hi all,

I just assumed a lease on a 2007 335i with Comfort access. As I was going through the manual, there is a section on configuring the sound/outside lights on lock/unlock via the key fob. However, as I was configuring this option on the car, I noticed that only the lights icon was available but the sound option was not. Is this is discrepency in the manual or am I missing something simple here?

Many thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    I'm not positive about E90s models, but on previous models, the sound option uses the alarm siren, not the horn. So, if your car comes without the optional alarm, there is no provision for sound.

Pretty sure that is still the case.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,349
    Not all of the time, but when I shut it down after a run. The smell is in the hot plastic/hot wax vein. It presently has 2500 miles on it and has done this from the beginning. At first I thought it was just packing or preparation stuff burning off, but now I am starting to wonder. The car runs like a top, and I get no warning messages. Has anyone else noticed this in their new car? If so, when does it stop?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Most brand new cars will have that smell. It'll burn/wear off between now and maybe 7K at the most, depending on how you drive it.
  • I agree about new car smells but after running the engine and 2500 miles broken in there should NOT be a smell of hot plastic. Something is likely amiss and I'd check with your BMW service department.
    Thanks go both you and tayl0rd. I believe that I will take my little black beauty in to the dealer and have them explore.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Thanks go both you and tayl0rd. I believe that I will take my little black beauty in to the dealer and have them explore.

OK, now I really thank you. I took the car in, and it turns out that the oil line to one of the turbos was leaking. It is now being repaired, and will, unless finished, not go on the 200+ mile trip (gulp) that it would otherwise have done this weekend. I have this "dodged a bullet" feeling.

Out of interest, have others had this problem occur?

• Glad to help. Never had nor heard of problem before this.

While I really, really doubt that any damage was done to the turbo from oil starvation, perhaps you should insist on an extension to your warranty....
    perhaps you should insist on an extension to your warranty....

Hmmm, good point. The car has the 4 yr / 40K bumper to bumper warranty, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about a further extension. Thanks again.

• pdude1pdude1 Posts: 47
    That is an interesting idea. Didn't think BMW would do that, especially if the car is still so early in the warranty...
    I don't know if they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask since there is a possibility that the turbo was already damaged before they discovered the problem.

I thought I would pass on the final resolution of the problem. Turned out it was the connector from an oil line to the engine. The service manager stated that there was no indication of oil starvation; the oil level was not significantly down. He said that we would have gotten a message if either the engine or the turbo was experiencing oil starvation, so I am back to enjoying my little hot rod. If anything else comes up, I will pass it on.

• I bought a BMW 335I in Ralley BMW last year in August. It was a display model. Only 6000 miles.
    Last Sunday, i parked my car in front of my friend's house in the center of the road. After i returned to the car and put the key in the inginition, the car was not able to start. Even though we jump start the car, it was still not working.

I contacted with BMW 24 hour road service, it took them 3 hours and 22 minutes without sending the tow truck. I cancelled the tow truck because it was 2: 22 Am and i couldn't wait any longer. I called them every 30 minutes, each time the representative said, "the truck driver is on the way." for 6 times.

In the end, i reschedule the appointment for 8:40 in the morning and they towed my car to BMW in Bayside, NY on Monday morning.

Today, Tuesday, 10/26/2009, the mechanic still can't figure out what's wrong with my car. He said, he is charging with the battery right now, see if it works.

Then I called RAlley BMW located in Long Isand, NY and explained to them my concerns, the guy on the phone was like, "oh, let them figure out the problem first. they are trained. They should know the problem."

Then I said, I want to sell back the car because it is defective. He said, "we can't take it back." I was like, "what?! you can't take it back because you know it is defective, right?!" He remined silent.

I recommend to everyone, don't trust these salespeople especially in that location.
    And, I am going to contact with BMW see what kind of answer I will receive from them.

See you later, wish me Good Luck
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,780
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

Actually the only way BMW would buy the car back is if you go through the entire Lemon Law procedures; otherwise, they have a right to fix the car and make it right---which, given that there's a big BMW sign on their front door, they should be able to do (let us hope).

• 1. My car is still under warranty....blessed by God.
    2. The way he sounded on the phone was like.......don't take it back to my shop...take it to somewhere else...

It is really dispointing...especially I was recommded to their shop for their great service. If I knew I would encounter this kind of service, why would I buy car from them ? They are located in Long Island and I live in Flushing. I could buy car from Bayside BMW.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... i parked my car in front of my friend's house in the center of the road. ...

Your car is pouting and throwing a tantrum because you left it in the middle of the street! :P

Your first mistake was buying a demo car w/ 6000 miles on it. BMWs are not Hondas/Toyotas. And w/ it being a 335i, you know it was "rode hard and put away wet" after test drives. At any rate, good luck w/ your resolution.
  • Thank you fo your suggestion.
    that;s why i am going to trade in this car for a new lexus.
    And, I will let my friens know.......especially the one who recommended me to that location.
  • Just had the same thing happening to me, wax smell, and yes it did fail at then end, was towed to the dealer and cylinder head 2nd cylinder plus injectors have been replaced. Guess what, came back home just today and the smell is still there. Scary, any advice, anybody, the car just has 3400 miles it never smelled but now it does not stop...
    The smell in mine was gone as soon as I got it back. The problem, as it was explained to me, was in the connection between the oil line and the engine, so it's possible that your shop corrected one problem but overlooked that one. I would take it back and ask them to put it on the hoist and inspect it for residual leaking.

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,515
    http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/12/2011-bmw-z4-sdrive35is-coming-t- o-the-2010-detroit-auto-show.html#comments

I wonder if this drivetrain
    will be coming to the 335i -
    335is?
    - Ray
    Liking the sound of:
    "And on the overboost, torque rises to 369 lb-ft, according to BMW. "