Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Engine and Underhood Problems

Comments

• fws4fws4 Posts: 5
    My 98 S10 2.2 2WD lost its drive belt with resultant loss of power steering. My son was driving and was only 3 miles or so from home, so drove it home. In the driveway, it was overheating but not horribly (220-230 on gauge). I did not hear it running, so unsure of taps, clanks, etc. Got new belt and it cranks but it will not start even with starter fluid. Good spark on all 4 plugs. Have fuel pressure of 44-45 psi on the fuel rail. Compression is only 30-40 in front 3 cylinders, 90 in rear cylinder. Comp. improves to about 60 in front 3 after I add a few squirts of oil in the spark plug holes, rear cylinder stays 90-100. All valves & lifters working when I took off the valve cover. Can my timing be thrown by the belt loss, resulting in valve bend/damage? Ran well prior to this, no speedster but dependable. Just rebuilt my wifes jetta after bad timing belt caused valve damage and don't want to do it again on this one. I'm not great at evaluating compression readings, how do you tell if it's valves or rings leaking? Thanks for your help, this site is incredible!

FWS4
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    From reading your message it got a lot hotter than 230 F, most likely got hot enough to take the temper out of the piston rings.
    The belt runs the water pump, a tow would have been cheaper, sorry.
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Posts: 161
    Sounds like it got too hot and blew a head gasket. Quick check is to fill cooling system so it is full. With radiator cap off and water to the very top crank the engine over. If water comes flowing out you have combustion gas in your coolong system and either a cracked block or blown head gasket. OOOps!
    Addition to my other post, ever since car manufactures came out with aluminum heads they have installed temp gauges, no idiot light. The reason being, overheat a aluminum head and it will crack, just about guarantied.
  • surfnturfsurfnturf Posts: 1
    There is a service bulletin about loose hood hinge bolts causing a clunk.
  • hopkins7hopkins7 Posts: 9
    mickeymouse, thanks for your help. I finally got around to checking out Technical Bulletin 01-08-63-001B through a friend. The cause of my noise was the Hood Hinge on the right side - excessive clearance. Had to install a spring washer. Problem solved.
  • hopkins7hopkins7 Posts: 9
    surfnturf, Thanks for your assistance. I got to the Techincal Bulletin through a friend - Excessive clearance in the Hood Hinge attaching bolt. Inserted spring washer, problem solved.
  • giakamogiakamo Posts: 4
    I am new here ad will try to get to the point. i bought my truck new in 02 and it has only 40k miles on it. my battery died, replaced it with a new one, i am now getting P0304 cylinder 4 misfire ses light is on and idles rough over 30MPH and it flashes. I have replaced spark plugs, to no avail. I then looked at the cap and rotor and they were corroded so I replaced them. ( i thought that would fix it honestly)and I still have the misfire in cylinder 4. very rough idle, stuttering when driving from a stop. once at 50MPH it's smooth as silk. I have put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank as a preventive measure after this prob started just in case. I am going to try changing out the wires next. anyone have any ideas on this? After the wires, I will have spent 260 dollars on this problem. Thank you for your help
    Can't help you with a 4.3, don't know much about them. I do know if you keep driving with the check engine flashing, it will ruin the cat converter.
    No worries there.. i am not driving it at all.. i baby this thing and don't drive a whole lot... ( i have agoraphobia and require meds to just leave the house) warranty ran out in april.. and just want this fix as cheaply as possible. if it's not the wires, then i can't imagine anything else but the fuel system... I am still open to ideas as i haven't had the chance to get to autozone for the wires
    ok update.. wires did not fix problem. should I be expecting to replace the injector, or the spider? and does anyone know where the poppet valve is ?
  • i have a 2003 chevys10 4.3l vin x . on a hard up hill pull kicked down into 2nd gear the check engine begins to flash and it feels like its holding back, if you let off the throttle a little bit it seems to be ok but the light flashes for a little bit when i check the codes its usually misfire 5 or 6..all the tune up stuff has been done. at idle it seems to have alittle bounced to it. going to check fuel pressure tomorrow at work.thanks in advance for any help
  • Hello. I have a 2001 Sonoma :lemon: that will not start. It seems to have problems when its damp outside or if i dont drive it for the weekend. Come monday it will not start. So today..monday.. i go to start it and all it does is turn over and thats it...or it tries to start backwards...ive got it to start every time it has done this but this is the worst its ever been. Ive tried jumping it... it has a brand new battery, not even a month old! my dad recently put new plugs and wires in it also. this truck hasnt even seen 98,000 miles yet! its also has a new cat that probably a little over a year old now.. no one can really seem to figure out whats wrong! HELP! thanks for your time... :) P.S. its a V6 automatic if that helps at all.
  • butch31butch31 Posts: 1
    i have a 1997 gmc sonoma 4.3 vin x it only misses on #1&2 cyl only . i thought it was the engibe, so i put a good one in and stll misses on 1&2 cyl, changed computer plugs, wires . injecters and pretty much everything under the hood and STILL misses on 1&2 cyl.....HELP!!!!!!

Intake leak, head gasket leak.
  • 1996 GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 5sp manual trans.
    At 3/4 to WOT throttle the vehicle surges/bucks and is not making the power it should.
    No codes, runs fine other wise.
    Also yesterday while stuck in traffic it appeard to become stuck on high idle at 1900rpm, pushing the vehicle along and idleing at 1900 at stop lights.
    After sitting 2 hours was back to normal.
    Again no codes.
  • Hi Guys...I have a 2000 GMC sonoma 4cyl.auto flex fuel truck and i keep getting 2 codes Po179 and one for transmission slippage but after reading it all points to the flex fuel sensor located on the chassis under the ac unit on the passenger side ......my question is can i change some stuff to get this back to just a regular gas vehicle and what would it take to do this ..........same chocolate truck on learnmore page

regards
    plexico48
    If you google around I think you will find a unit a lot cheaper then the factory one, it will let you run just gasoline.
  • wmwinkwmwink Posts: 1
    Can a bad MAF sensor give me the P0300 Code? The Service engine light comes on and stays on for a few days then goes off for a few days. The truck memory shows the misfire code. When light is on I get a MAF code as well. Where is this part located at on the truck? Thanks for any input as I am wanting to sell this truck but want it fixed first
  • I have a 95 4.3 vortec vin code Z and when I accelerate my motor bogs down to the point it almost shuts off. My fuel gauge and battery gauge go haywire unless i barely touch the gas then it goes fine. I cannot find a posting that specifies this particular motor....any ideas? I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator because an old guy at the parts store recommended that may be the problem.
  • pepppepp Posts: 1
    It is most likely the heater core ,i would almost bet. :D
  • I'm looking for a diagram that will show me that I have all the fuel injection lines in there right ports, there are 2 that possably could be crossed. I have a slight vibration to the car....hard to tell if its drive train or what but my therory is crossed line could cause a minor missfire.
  • Passenger side... middle tube goes to the far back port, tube farthest back on your injector goes to the middle port, and tube the closest to the front of the vehicle on the injector goes to the port at the front. Drivers side... back tube to back port, middle tube to middle port, and front tube to front port.
  • Thx...hopefully I got it wrong and this will make it better.
  • does anybody know where i can find a heater vacuum line diagram for my 95 gmc sonoma,