Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Hornet Concept

qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,664
edited July 12 in Dodge
I think this is the nicest looking compact Dodge has ever come up with.

The video review says it will be about the size of a Mini and, like the Mini S, come with a supercharged 1.6.

Personally, I'd like it to be just a hair bigger than the Mini. As it is, in the video, it looks like the rear seat has much more legroom than the Mini, so maybe it is a big bigger in reality. The nonexistant legroom in the rear seat of the Mini is my biggest complaint.

I'd also like to see the turbo 2.4 find its way into this vehicle.

My biggest fear is that it will have the interior quality of a Neon or PT Cruiser (which, obviously, I find horrible in both cases).

What does everyone else think about this concept?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,664
    here it has spent quite a bit of time as edmunds "featured video" and its generating zero chat. That doesn't bode well for its incarnation.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• twaintwain Posts: 185
    What does everyone else think about this concept?
    -------------------------------

I like it a lot. I like the RADs (Rear Access Doors). That gives it an advantage over the Mini and the ZX3.

I might prefer a larger base engine (maybe 2.0) with a turbo option. 140hp base and 200 in the turbo.
  • netdudenetdude Posts: 4
    I've been wanting a Mini Cooper for years, but I needed more space. This is the exact vehicle I've been looking for! Why hadn't anyone else done a Mini Cooper with 4 doors and a usable backseat before now??

They could produce it as-is and I would be buying one today! As qbrozen said, those rear access doors are great. I hope this makes it to production and they don't keep this in Europe.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Posts: 405
    I like it, but concur about size.They should maybve try to make this thing around 165 inches total length(maybe 10-12 inches shorter than the Caliber, but larger than this concept by 10-12 inches).

I would probably, at the very least, in any configuration, check one out.

I feel the same about the Ford Reflex(it is 155 or so inches? It is small, smaller than the Focus).
  • thefafthefaf Posts: 12
    "Why hadn't anyone else done a Mini Cooper with 4 doors and a usable backseat before now?? "

That one is called the Scion xA.

Mark
    The Scion XA is too slow and looks more like a miniature station wagon then a small hot hatch. The proportions on both the XA and XB look off imho.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    Dodge Hornet and I am finding that no one has too much to say about it up to now. I like it's overall shape and I am one who has shown a little interest in the Scion xA, so I'm not scared off by the Hornet's small size.

Toyota not only has the Scion xA as a small 4-door but their 5-door liftback Yaris and their tall, Ractis wagon is another example of a small, 4-door (maybe not along Mini-Cooper lines completely, but small and still trying to utilize a back seat). This new Hornet might produce some interest here in the States if gas prices stay high as a city car to fit into tight places and get great gas mileage. DCX should stress getting maximum gas mileage out of it and sales would be brisker for the Hornet. That is if they decide to produce it.

IIRC the thing has 19-inch wheels! :surprise:

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Or about the same size? I was told by a the Toyota/Scion dealership that we get our tC tuned up at, that they had heard(on the net?) that the t2B(xB replacement) Might become larger, and talk of RWD?

Hmmm... enter Hornet(FWD?) to take the xB's place? xB sells over 50K units per year, or around there.

Who knows? Chrysler had a PT Coupe, that looked good at the autoshow, but I doubt that they'll make that, either(but, ya never know?).

TCNO:(take-care/not offense).
    it would be interesting to see how the Dodge Hornet concept stacks up against the established Scion xB in overall size and dimensions, length by height by width, etc.

I like small cars and I like this one's initial styling. That passenger door is kind of funky, huh? I'd like to see how that one works, open up from the inside only? That's what it looks like it has to work. Anyway, there's much to still learn about this new Dodge Hornet. I would welcome it to the car market. :D

harry, BTW, I test drove the new Scion tC RS 1.0 a month or two ago. It really had a nice driving "feel" to it, plenty of available power for me. It's just not what I want, I want 4 doors, for one thing. Earlier that day I drove the 2006 Scion xA in Polar White color and 5-speed tranny. That little car was fun to drive but the other half wanted to keep the '01 Sportage 4x4. I still love our Sportage 4x4 and we're a one-car at a time couple, so we'll just drive it and maximize our purchase price out of the small Korean SUV. Might as well.

I do love to look at all the new cars, though, and this new Hornet concept has caught my eye.

yeah.... these newer concepts are sharp. Just hope they eventually follow through, on them, to some degree.

That Hornet is a sharp little vehicle.

Yeah, the spouse has the tC for work, and it is not a bad vehicle.
    Last car that was sort of similar to the tC, that we drove, was the 93 Sentra SE-R.

Have been wondering about that upcoming(revised Golf...) Rabbit. 5 cylinder, 2.5 liter.... well(?) over 30+ mpg,
    It looks good, but the interior photos , well, the new Elantra looks better.

See ya.
    but my own personal jury is still out on that rig. Tonight at Mega-Low-Mart I was reading a car mag and saw a picture of the Elantra from the front view. Something disturbed me that has disturbed me before about the new Elantra body design.

If you look at it from the front view you will see that the headlight cluster flows up and out towards the sides but the turn signal lights underneath turn in a disturbingly non-aesthetically pleasing manner. They go the opposite direction-they turn out and down. The front hardware doesn't flow properly, man! It may sound goofy but I love good flow in design and I'm afraid this new '07 Hyundai Elantra doesn't flow with authority and beauty from up front. In contrast the cousin car, the Kia Spectra does have a nice up-front design flow to it.

Since pictures don't give the whole story and a look in person does, I will withhold further judgement on the car until it actually comes out, which I heard is fairly soon.

OTOH-the new Dodge Hornet for Europe(and hopefully the U.S.A. as well)does have a nice, quirky design that has a good funky flow to it, and Dodge has pulled off making a small, funky econobox to compete with the Scion xA and xB. The tC blows the Hornet away with it's beautiful lines, it really is a beautiful car IMO. Scion has done well with it. Nice that you have one, huh?

Let's hope Dodge decides to bring the Hornet here-I may actually want one if they do I think. Need more info., though, before I will say I actually would want one.

yeah, the tC is a very nice small car. The FUSE (next tC?) is really wild looking.

Dodge needs a "Scion" fighter. The Caliber is selling well, but after a test drive, and few months of getting used to seeing a few, and then sitting in them at autoshows, just not for me/us.

Just like Ford's Reflex sporty show car. Nice, and could (with the right equiptment) be 14-18K, Scion fighter.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Seems people overseas sometimes get the better cars, or at least the largest selection.

TCNO
    cars overseas. But I think that's changing, with the higher price of gas and everything. The other nations will still get all of their small cars but finally the U.S. is starting to catch up. There's nicer new smaller cars coming out all the time.

The Obvio! cars from Brazil will be here in another year. They are really wild looking! :D

This Hornet from Dodge has the capability to fold down the passenger seat in front and also the back seats so you can stow bigger items in from the hatch in back. It also carries the functionality of being able to turn the back seats around and stow them down flat so you can have nice vertical storage space right behind the front seats if you want, too. Very nice feature!

It weighs 3,100 lbs., not exactly svelte, but it's powered by a 1.6L, 170hp "Tritec" 4 cyl., the same engine that powers the Mini-Cooper from BMW. 163 lbs. of ft.torque enables this little dynamo to achieve 0-60mph times of only 6.7 seconds. BTW-it is only being advertised in concept form as being equipped with a 6-speed, manual transmission. Whoo-hoo! What's not to like, here! :shades:

The more I look and read about this little car the more I like it. Build it, Dodge! Read more here:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/hornet.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_May_30_200- - - 6.S173.A10476.html
    I posted this link on auto news forum(cars you like/dislike?)....thread... posted here just in case no on traverses that thread, butlooks at this one. Anyhow....

Seems the Hornet is a go, just depends on who will get to build it.

I had heard that Chery Automotive is also in talks with Chrysler to build this Hornet, and supposedly a 3rd, yet un-named company is bidding.

Why don't they just have Hyundai build it on their Accent Sedan platform?
    Throw that 170HP engine in it....(or maybe the new GEMA 172HP turboed I-4, like they use in the Caliber R/T? ).

Hmmmmmm. Hope it is not too short(total length).
    If this thing is at least around the upcoming SX-4(Suzuki) suv(alittle over 13.5 feet total length).... I will look, if/when it comes out.

If it is say Rio5,(under 13 feet total length) or smaller... no.
    Not enough length to feel safe on the road.
    Too many large vehicles out there these days.
    engine sounds louder than the Dodge Viper's? What up?

170 horses in a small package and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, with a 6-speed tranny to boot. What's not to like so far here? Supposedly going to sell for $4,000 less than a Mini, with an exact engine as a Mini inside, too.

• Three words sum up this little bugger! Butt [non-permissible content removed] Ugly! I have zero interest in these little door stop cars. It has a 1.6L supercharged lawn mower motor?? LOL! Are they kidding?? What is the point? I'd rather get a scooter or hop on a bus than buy one of these things. The Pontiac Solstice is about as small as I would go and it's underpowered. How is it they can consider something like this and build the Crapliber yet cancel the Razor is beyond me.
    The razor was a nice looking concept. But, the people like myself who are looking at the Hornet like it because it actually has a usable back seat, and should hopefully be a pretty fuel efficient vehicle with go-cart like handling. With gas prices the way they are and especially the traffic I face everyday, I don't need a gas guzzling sports car or SUV. I just need something that handles better than a Camry is pretty roomy, fuel efficient and quick enough for all practical needs. I also would like the car to have some good styling to it. This is where personal preference comes into play. You may not like its size or styling, but those are exactly what appeals to many on this particular forum. That's why the automakers have so many different makes and models of vehicles.

That's my 2 cents..
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Posts: 67
    This car has the design that I think can work here. Perfect for the day to day commute when people mostly travel alone anyways. When it comes time to haul stuff, just fold down the seats and push the cargo thru the big back and side doors.

I'd love to drive one of those popular mini cars like xA, Versa, etc. to save money on gas. It's just that they are not that practical for those once in awhile instances when you need to carry something big. I think the Hornet is a dream come true. Just hope that Dodge learned its lesson from the Caliber and know better to make a car with cheap looking interior and expect customers to not notice.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    until just the other day that the Hornet is no longer a concept - it is scheduled for production in Europe as an '07 model! Wow! That was quick.

This is exactly the sort of car the American companies need more of, and I hope they bring it here even THOUGH the Caliber is selling well. But I fear the same thing mmyk fears: they will put in a dirt-cheap, hard-plastic Dodge interior for the U.S. market.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• cjshowcjshow Posts: 16
    I totally agree. I love the techno styling on the Hornet way better than the toy-look of the Honda Fit, or the mini-minivan look of the xB. I agree that the flexible seats are a real selling point. I think Dodge missed the boat in bringing the Caliber here first instead of this cool true subcompact. The caliber is definately closer to mid-sized especially when you see it in person. I'll keep my ears and eyes open to see when they finally bring the Hornet here. ;)
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Posts: 67
    Agree...the Caliber is not that small in size or in gas consumption. Now that gas price is going to stay close to $3, more people will look for cars with greater than 30 mpg.

One more thing, I hope there's an option for auto transmission.
    but the Dodge Hornet is a keeper. It is a welcome addition to the American family of cars.

you have all seen the news - Dodge is "shopping around" for someone to partner with to build and sell the Hornet for U.S. sale - it is not cost-effective for them to go it alone, I guess. The front-runner is VW apparently - they would build it in Mexico on the Polo chassis, or something?

and as far as the Polo chassis goes you're talking Greek to me there. I don't know what rig the Polo even is.

I just think that the Hornet body design will be a hit and I think that the ghastly mileage will be welcome in the current state of ghastly we're observing.

The thing is is there can always be another refinery fire or another ship full of widgets sink or somebody's second cousin decide to root for the Steelers instead of the Seahawks and the "fuel traders" will artificially drive up the cost of ghastly being traded in order for them to maximize their earnings and burn the average fuel consumer.

Thus the Hornet should be a welcome sight for sore automotive eyes.

VW's smallest car, sold in Mexico (and Canada?) and all aroudn the world, but never federalized for U.S. sales as VW did not consider it profitable in this market. Many VW fans have been calling for it to come now that all the other new subcompacts are entering the market here.

Actually iluv, now that you are so near the Mexican border, you should keep your eyes open and you will probably see a Polo. I have extended family in El Paso, which as you know is right on the border, and whenever I visit there I see a bunch of Polos and other Mexico-only cars.

It is a competitive chassis to hang the Hornet's looks on - I hope they bring the Hornet in, and unlike the Caliber, PT Cruiser, and now the Patriot and Compass, I hope they put some materials inside that AREN'T trash can lid plastic.

we were in Douglas, Arizona, yesterday. It's right on the border and I think I saw a VW Polo. I thought it was a Jetta, then realized it wasn't and we just drove on by. I think I read 'Polo' on it's rear end. My wife and son are not any where near the car nut I am so I just muttered to them real quickly "what kind of car is that...", then I saw the Polo name on the back of it. Not a bad looking car!

We have discovered the old mining town of Bisbee, Arizona and it has us captivated. Lots of really cool old buildings built into the weirdest places on the sides of reddish-colored hills. A town that puts you back in time with it's amazing historicity-I can't get enough of it. It is about 85 miles from Willcox, though.

I guess I'll just have to trade the Sportsman in on a 2006 Scion xA with a 5-speed right quick and start getting that 36 mpg! :D Another valid reason to take the plunge!

the Polo is about to be redesigned, and it is the next-gen platform for that model that is the current front-runner for also going under the U.S.-market Hornet. I sure hope they go ahead, although having VW build them in Mexico might not be the best formula for build quality and reliability! :sick:

• I love this concept car as is. The key is will the accountants allow it's manufacture. What I most like about the car aside from it's "Mini Cooper" power is its expanded room. Being close to retirement I like value. As I travel when I read "Motel 6" rooms going for $59.95-$89.95 I think that with the Hornet I could easily "car camp" every other day while on the road and still not be any less "offensive" as camping in the dirt. I know those of you with mega bucks and weak stomachs think me crude but if I can save $60-$100 bucks every other day while getting great gas mileage then I won't have to resort to eating cat food in my retirement, lol. For now my only mode of transpo is a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture which is hardly the platform to lay on lengthways without falling in the dirt anyway. Therefore, bring on the Dodge Hornet Concept.
    the best-looking Dodge in years, and yes, I'm including the Charger in that remark.

This discussion has been closed.