Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• I don't understand the backorder stuff. When I got my throttlebody replaced for the second time last month, I got it back in 1 day. How in the world did they get that throttle body? The car runs great, but now I am worried about the fire scenario.
  • I never heard of a fire issue with the Freestyle. The writer is probably confused with the cruise control issue on some older Fords. A little bit of information can be a dangerous thing. A little bit of incorrect information is really bad. Our throttle body was replaced under warranty, and no problems since. I wonder how many transmissions have been incorrectly diagnosed because of the throttle body issue.
  • On a trip from Michigan to Florida on 8/18/2010 my 2006 Freestyle
    (odometer 60,000) lurched while slowly reversing from a parking space at a Georgia gas station. I thought I must have been parked on a hill so I continued to back up, and the problem happened again. The wrench indicator light came on, which according to my manual, meant we may have had some "bad gasoline" and the light should go off after 3 driving cyles. The light did turn off after a few days, but the problem happened again last week while in reverse at a grocery store back in Michigan. the wrench indicator came on, and after turning the ignition off and parking for a few minutes, the light was off again. Both occurences happened while running the A/C in 90 degree heat. I have yet to take the car to a repair shop, but will be trying the recommended use of Gumout to clean the fuel system this afternoon! After reading the other posts on this site, I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will also do the same with Ford at www.fordowner.com
    Thank you to all who have posted similar issues/complaints about the Freestyle--hopefully we can get some answers/accountability from Ford!
  • Please let us know how it works out for you! Good luck and safe driving!!
  • Everyone: I tried every short cut recommendation, but unfortunately, it came down to replacing the throttle body, TSP sensor and a new top engine motor mount. Service tech believes the engine mount was compromised with the lurching and engine revving that was a direct result from a throttle body issue. Service Tech stated, his dealership has seen this problem countless times and with no sympathy from Michigan.
    I must note that this is the 2nd throttle body replaced during our ownership and from the first to the second replacement it occurred within 30,000 miles. There are presently, 66,000 miles on this vehicle.
    It is a back ordered part taking months to receive, my former neighbor who works for the 3rd largest FORD dealer said parts received are a direct result in sales and customer service ranking. So, if you are lucky to live in metro of a major dealer.. good news for you. My throttle body part was forfeited by a family transferred overseas last month and lucky me, I was next in request. Cost to me: roughly, over $1300. First time under warranty.
    Second issue: My AC failed compressor must be replaced. The compressor is available, however, the dryer recirculator part is back ordered 6 weeks!
    My neighbor is stepping up. He is selling me the part and shipping this part from his dealer to my door. Granted, it isn't my local small town dealer, but we live in a humid southern state and it's my money. Cost to me $1560.

Several complaints to NHTSA and no word. SAVE your receipts FORD must reimburse you, even if replaced prior to recall. Number of time replaced is endless, they must refund your prior fixes in entirety. God speed.
  • Sorry to hear the news...and thanks for keeping us posted. I'm thinking it might be time to sell my Freestyle.
  • We purchased our 2007 Freestyle Aug3 and went on a three week extended 3K mile trip. I noticed a few time when I moved the car at idle speed it lurched. The last day when we stopped for lunch while pulling out of the parking space, it lurched and the engine died. It started right up but the cruise control didn't work and I noticed when pulling out from a stop the engine just didn't seem to have much power. After stopping at a rest stop my wife drove and everything worked fine. Today when she was backing out of the garage it did a lurch. I got on this site and found many with this problem. I called the Nat Hwy Trans & Safety Bd and filed a complaint. Think I'll try the Gumout and see what happens.
  • We purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle earlier this year. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle, I noticed that it would occasionally lunge forward while I was holding the brake. This occured when the car was in drive and also in reverse. Over the next couple of months the lunging continued to get worse. A couple of times the car lunged forward, stalled and the wrench light came on. After a few minutes, the car would start and the wrench light went out. We took the car to a Ford dealership, and they didn't find any codes and said that there was nothing wrong with the car. We told them about the lunging, but they didn't notice it. Immediately after picking up the car it started the lunging. I read on this forum that some other owners had taken their cars for fuel induction service. So, I took the car to a different Ford dealership and had the fuel induction service done. It's been about a week since having the service done, and there has not been any lunging and the car is running better than it did. We are hoping that this will continue and are going to start putting injection cleaners in with after every couple of fillups. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSB.
  • lcjesselcjesse Posts: 30
    glad to see that you went with the fuel induction service. I had mine done 3 months (~3500 miles) ago and have not had 1 problem since. I also was regularly using BP gas but now I am switching between Shell and BP. Now i am at 61K and having to consider the recommended 60K CVT transmission service. Hope I can find a dealership that has CVT trained tech to do the work. Only 12 more payments to go, so i get it paid off before it dies.
  • We are now a couple of weeks out from the fuel induction service and the freestyle is still running great. There has not been any lunging/surging. I have also stopped purchasing gas at Krogers, and have been purchasing it from Shell.
  • I had the same problems with my 2006 Freestyle. I live in Southern Alabama and feel the heat had alot to do with the problems. I ordered an electronic throttle body through my local Ford dealer ($455), received it the next day along with an information sheet on how to replace it, and replaced it in about 15 - 20 minutes. The car has been running great since then. We started noticing the problem when we had just under 100,000 miles. We now have approximately 107,000 miles on this vehicle.
  • pml13pml13 Posts: 1
    2007 model has been refusing to change from low to drive upon acceleration. RPMs rise above 4000-5000. To force the car into drive, I have to either punch the accelerator or stop, manually shift the automatic transmission into Low, accelerate to around 20 MPH, then manually shift to Drive. PCM and TCM have been reprogrammed, but it didn't help. Subsequent to the reprogram, the car appeared to go into neutral. The engine was running, but the wheels weren't rolling. Also, I've noticed that the RPMs would sometimes fluctuate up and down without any apparent reason. Any ideas as to what this might be. My dealer seems to be stumped. Surely, this isn't the only Freestyle exhibiting these symptoms. (52,000 miles)
  • I HAVE A 2007, NEW TRANSMISSION ALSO! AND FORD AGREED TO PAY 1/2! WASN'T THAT NICE OF THEM! I WAS 19 MILES OVER MY ESP!!! AND OF COURSE I HAVE REPLACE THE THROTTLE BODY TWICE NOW! 82,000 WONDERFUL MILES!
  • After doing some research into the Freestyle I was impressed with its features, AWD, 7 passenger seating, doors that allow you to fit a car seat into it. I was able to find one locally, but after reading about the Throttle Body Issue and how it is more of a fly by wire communication between the gas pedal and the throttle causes me some concern especially if I am going to pay over 9K for a 2007 with over 141K on it.

I am wondering if the Taurus X has similar issues to the Freestyle?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "I am wondering if the Taurus X has similar issues to the Freestyle? "

No. The Taurus X has a conventional 6 speed transmission.
  • I have an '06 Freestyle with 35K miles on it. I've also noticed the "lurching" described in this forum but it hasn't been bad enough to take it in; however, yesterday the car didn't even start. Apparently, a control arm was loose so the fuel line came off causing fuel to be leaked on my driveway. I was able to reconnect the fuel line and restart it, but do you think the lurching, control arm, fuel line issues are interrelated? If so, what are the possible solution(s)? Thank you.
  • i have a 2008 taurus x. i was driving 70 on the interstate with the cruise control on. when i hit the gas pedal to accelerate to manuever a right lane pass, the engine revved, but my speed did not go up. since i couldn't negotiate the pass, i needed to slow to the speed of the car in front of me..and the brakes didn't work! i hit them 2x, and manually turned the cruise off. it wasn't until i stood on the brakes that they engaged, the revving stopped, and i heard a snapping noise. i continued my trip without the cruise activated with no problems...but that was too close of a call. i was looking to see where i was going to be flying off the road!
    "i have a 2008 taurus x. i was driving 70 on the interstate with the cruise control on. when i hit the gas pedal to accelerate to manuever a right lane pass, the engine revved, but my speed did not go up. since i couldn't negotiate the pass, i needed to slow to the speed of the car in front of me..and the brakes didn't work! i hit them 2x, and manually turned the cruise off. it wasn't until i stood on the brakes that they engaged, the revving stopped, and i heard a snapping noise. i continued my trip without the cruise activated with no problems...but that was too close of a call. i was looking to see where i was going to be flying off the road!"

You are on the wrong forum; the Taurus X is a different vehicle than a Freestyle. Although the main difference is the transmission, 6 speed vice CVT.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    edited January 2011
    It gets confusing but the 2008 Ford Taurus X is essentially a relabeled version of the previous year's Freestyle. So we get a lot of overlap.

We even have discussions like Ford Freestyle - Taurus X.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited January 2011
    "It gets confusing but the 2008 Ford Taurus X is essentially a relabeled version of the previous year's Freestyle. So we get a lot of overlap. "

Yes, but it had a completely different transmission, and from what I have read it seems that the "throttle body" is part of the CVT transmission, which the Taurus X does not use. I'm not certain, but I think the engine may be a bit more powerful.

The other parts of the design, like the interior and exterior, are the same.