Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• hack4hack4 Posts: 4
    We just got 07 SEL FWD 74k my wife on a trip called me and said engine shuts down clock reset to 12:00 can someone help is it elec or mech ?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    We just got 07 SEL FWD 74k my wife on a trip called me and said engine shuts down clock reset to 12:00 can someone help is it elec or mech ?

Sounds electronic to me.
    Thanks that is what i was thinking too. I read about a loose wire a the instrument panel hope that is all !!!!
  • I'd check alternator.......
    Just have to hope she gets back ok. Then i take it in
    I found the problem, the seconary battery cable on the + side was loose and corroded. started car moved wire, engine shut down same way as it was doing before. clean and all is well. Hope this might help someone else. :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • godsmytgodsmyt Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 freestyle. It has recently been surging when I start the car. Someone mentioned that they were having alot of problems with the EGR and some dealerships are saying it could take 6 months to get the replacement part. Has anyone else heard of this or is there a technical service bulletin out for the problem??
    Thanks
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I don't have my Freestyle any more but occasionally check the board to see what's up. Myself, like many other Freestyle owners had nothing bus praise for the car and Ford. I sold mine because I really liked the new 2010 Fusion. Now to your gripe.
    A simple Google search would have answered your first question. All new vehicles have EGR or exhaust gas recirculation valves, the potential for failure is equal for all makes and models. Maybe the reason the part is on back order is, like many auto parts manufacturers, the company that makes them may have gone out of business, be in financial trouble or restructuring and Ford had to find a new supplier.
    The smallest Ford truck is the Ranger. I owned a Ranger a few years back and yes it sits fairly high off the ground but there's plenty of room for two and my 85 year old mother had no problem with a little assistance.
    So what if Enterprise is inside the Ford dealer. Many companies have partnerships with others to provide convenient service.
    You have a right to be "POed" if the dealership isn't being honest with you. I'd go somewhere else if that's the case.
    Ford is not going to go out of business if you choose to by another brand. Ford has the best American cars on the road today.
    Ford HAS gotten their act together. Do some research on the current line up, future cars and Ford's business plan so before you abandon Ford it's for the right reasons.
  • My 2007 Freestyle has been at the ford dealership for 4 weeks. I bought it in May & that is when it started the surge issue. It is a throttle body. I actually bought it through carmax. They are keeping me in a loaner while we are waiting for the part to come in.
  • back on the airwaves again.... The same stalling issues continued to plague the Freestyle in December and once the weather warmed in 2009. Took back to the dealership in July and got it back Sept 4. The mechanic at the dealership has 2 years invested in this and we think it's been solved. During early 2009, we disabled the evap system and I drove the car for 3 months with no problems. So, from there, they tore it down and starting investigating the issue. An evap hose with a sensor that leads to a canister for gas vapors to escape was full of gasoline. That was replaced. I drove less than 70 miles and problem was still occuring, so it went back. Working with the Ford techs, they determined there was something wrong in the gas tank that would malfunction and send a signal to the evap system, flood it with gas and it would shut down. The mechanic was able to duplicate this issue in shop, which they had not been able to do before. A gas tank assembly and new hoses were put in. We hope this is it!!!!!
  • Took the Freestyle to Washington DC on 9/5 after picking it up on 9/4 and it's not as if DC traffic on a holiday weekend isn't stressful enough, but the car started cutting off again downtown DC while viewing the National Monument. Didn't let it keep us, 4 adults, 5 kids and 2 vehicles from enjoying the National Zoo for the day. The ride home was very stressful, kept acting up until the outside temp dropped to about 75 degrees. Last 100 miles home were a breeze. Just have no idea what to try next. We thought the chaning of the gas tank and evap sensor would have fixed issue. Guess not. Any help would be appreciated as the saga continues now for 2 1/2 years.
  • I amhaving the same problem and i was told today that the part is not even going to start production until oct 31st 2009. Which means the part will not be unavail for install till next year..This is a major problem
  • The EGR valve has been changed on my Freestyle. That did not correct the issue. Is that the part you are referrring to?
  • I believe so .... the throttle valve. My car is just beginning to show symptoms such as surging but the check engine light has not been on. I'm told this valve is probably going to become a problem.
  • The problem my car is having is from the Throttle Body. And Ford can not do anything because they don't have this part manufactured. My check engine light never came on. It just revs up and stalls. I am looking at the car not being ready till next year Jan 2010. :lemon:
  • I had a cracked throttle body last year and was able to get it fixed relatively quickly (like 4 or 5 days, I think). They (the dealership in Arlington, TX) told me that it was a known issue with the vehicle. I am sorry to hear you have this problem.

The thing that gets me is that they are manufacturing the Taurus X, which I would imagine has the same part - so they're making the thing somewhere!

Good thing though, once it was replaced on my vehicle, the problem was cured. So, at least you have that to look forward to!

Good luck, keep leaning on them about this!
  • What with Ford. I have a 2006 Ford freestyle in the shop now for 35 days. It started to stall and the engine light came on. Took it in and now they are giving me the run around they part is in back order may not be ready until mid to late Oct. I can say why this will be my last Ford I buy. between my husband and I we've had 7 fords. THATS it!! And why isn't this part a recall? They quoted me $650.00 dollars I don't think I should have to pay that. I'm making a car payment for a car I don't even have. Then they are giving me the run around just to get a loaner.
  • yes, Its sounds like what my car was doing. Ford said it was the throttle body and it has been in the shop for 35 days and still no part Ford said "its on back order" That just makes no sence to me.
  • My car is still under warranty so i won't have to pay for it. Thats the good news..now if it will ever get fixed.. It has been in the shop for 81 days now. I contacted the states attonery office and they looked into it for me and I was told that they still need to find someone to manfacture this part. So it looks like after testing the part will not be available till Jan 2010. What state do you live in. You need to contact as many people as possible to put some kind of pressure on Ford to make this a recall. I have the local news station looking into it. keep me updated