Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• Just to let everyone know I got a call from ford yesterday. The throttle body part is being tested and should have the part mid Dec. (so they say) BUT I do have a rental from ford since Sep 9 and FORD is PAYING for it which is going to be around $3,000. YES Ford is paying the bill. Any questions please e-mail me. Morgan2665@aol.com
  • HELLO I FEEL YOUR PAIN I WENT THROUGH THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1993 VW GOLF. FROM 1994 TO 1997 AFTER TRADING THE CAR IN IS WHEN I RECEIVED A LETTER TELLING ME WHAT CAUSE THE PROBLEM AND HOW TO FIX IT.
    THE CAUSE WAS GREEN ENGEN COOLANT THAT I PUT IN AFTER 50K MILES.
    THE FIX IS A $5 DOLLAR TEMP/SAFTY SENSOR.
    THIS SENSOR HAD 4 WIRES COMING FROM IT. 2 OF THE WIRE WENT TO DASH GAGE AND THE OTHER 2 WENT TO THE FUEL PUMP.
    WHEN THE SENSOR READS A HIGH TEMP IT TURNS OFF THE FUEL PUMP.

SO WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING 65MPH OR HIGHER THE PUMP TURNS OFF AND THE CAR JUST SUCK AIR WITH NO WARNING LIGHT ON IN DASH UNTILL THE CAR COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP.
  • GOOD NEW!!! i PICKED UP MY CAR TODAY AND HE SAID THE THROTTLE BODY IS BE DISTRIBUTED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. MY CAR IS RUNNING GREAT.. I WAS LUCKY THE FORD PICKED UP MY TAB FOR MY RENTAL, IT WAS CLOSE TO $3,200.00 DOLLARS. OF COURSE THE DEALER MADE ME PAY $702.00 DOLLARS BUT BETTER THEN PAYING THE RENTAL BILL. GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU THAT ARE WAITING FOR THE PART.

IM THANKFUL JUST TO HAVE MY CAR BACK.......
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Posting messages in ALL CAPS is hard for some people to read and many people just skip over messages written in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • we have a 2007 freestyle with the exact same problems yours has. what have you ended up doing?
  • History:
    acquired a used 2005 Freestyle with 98k miles on it, and the family loves it.

June 2009: the engine began shutting off while driving... no warning, no "check engine" light, nothing. Took it to Ford, "no fault found", and no advice to do anything except keep driving.

It began to happen more frequently over the next month, finally (of course, on a long trip, away from home) took it to Ford #2, who reprogrammed the Engine Control Module... did not solve the problem. On the way home, the shutoff problem continued, so took it to Ford #3, who saw the "check Engine" light and diagnosed the defective throttle body. Of course, no spare available, so the only option was to limp it home.

Limped the car most of the way home, required a tow the final 30 miles.

January 2010: We have waited 6 months for the new throttle body to make it into distribution. It's installed, but the dealer now claims that the "limp" mode damaged the catalytic converter and needs replacement.

I'm highly aggravated that Ford could not diagnose this problem when first reported. That is a failure of their diagnostic design that unexpected shutdowns are apparently NOT stored in the on-board computer.

The unexpected shutdown is a safety hazard. So is, from what I read on this forum and other places, a lot of the other unexpected behaviors related to the TBA.

I encourage folks to contact not only Ford but NHTSA and complain about your documented throttle body problems. The web link is www dot NHTSA dot gov, click on the complaints button.
  • vernbassvernbass Posts: 2
    sorry to be so delayed in responding to your post. i nolonger check this board as i traded my freestyle (unable to be driven safely) back into the dealer toward a new ford edge. this seemed like the only possible way to recoup some of the repair money that didn't solve the problem. i like the dealer and salesman i've bought from for several years. the service department had been excellent in the past but major personel changes unfortunately brought with them an extreme decline of integrity. so far, i'm very happy with the ford edge but time will reveal the truth on this vehicle also.
  • loyds77loyds77 Posts: 2
    Once again more ford problems. My 2005 ford freestyle just quit today no warning. After having the car scanned by dealer no codes were present. after sitting all night it started. they called to pick it up. NO Start again does anyone have any idea why ...
  • abessengerabessenger Posts: 10
    What is the number? My throttle body on my used 2005 Ford Freestyle that I bought in Nov, needs to be replaced and even though I bought the extended warranty they said it was not covered. What's the point in buying an extended warranty if problems of their doings, not mine, has erupted? Sounds a little fishy to me. Who do I fuss with about the problem? With all of these people complaining about the problem, it looks like a recall ought to be put in place. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • madden322madden322 Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2006 - and my throttle body WAS ABSOLUTELY COVERED by my extended warranty. I will find my receipt or get a copy from the dealership if you need it. That is complete baloney - but I have heard that they have, in the past, been on backorder (so be prepared for that).

Talk to the service manager, ask to see your complete extended warranty contract if you cannot get your hands on it.

Good luck -
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    There are always different levels of extended warranties, so just because it was covered for one person doesn't mean that it's covered under every extended warranty.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "There are always different levels of extended warranties, so just because it was covered for one person doesn't mean that it's covered under every extended warranty."

Correct in general, but I think most people are speaking of the Ford extended warranties, NOT aftermarket. I believe all those warranties cover the engine and transmission at the minimum. The more expensive ones will cover more items, but those two are in all of them. After that it is a matter of what deductible the owner pays.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Even under the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) there are different levels, and while some components of the transmission are covered under one level, a more extensive list of components are covered under the more expensive level. And if it's determined that a particular module is a maintenance item, than it's not covered at all.

I had an experience with one of the sensors going bad in the transmission. It wasn't covered by my ESP, but ended up being one of the components covered by the 80,000 mile standard emissions warranty.

It's all way too complicated.
    "Even under the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) there are different levels, and while some components of the transmission are covered under one level, a more extensive list of components are covered under the more expensive level. And if it's determined that a particular module is a maintenance item, than it's not covered at all.

I had an experience with one of the sensors going bad in the transmission. It wasn't covered by my ESP, but ended up being one of the components covered by the 80,000 mile standard emissions warranty. "

I did some checking and you are correct, the more expensive plans DO cover more. The URL below lists ESP coverages. I'm using PremiumCare for my 2008 FEH, so it doesn't really matter to me, but people should check the coverages they want before purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

ESP Transmission Coverage
  • alexapfalexapf Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle with a throttle body that needs to be replaced. The 3/36 warranty expired in March 2010. My vehicle has had many issues in the past that were covered by the 3/36 warranty. I bought the ESP Elite Plus, paid $1998 and now I am being told that because the throttle body is part of the emissions it is not covered.

To make matter worse I am being told that the item is in National back order. Now, in order to order the part I had to pay for it up front but they don't have it!!! and they had to know they did not have but now they have my money.

I bought this car in part because one of my best friends who has young children like me bought a 2006 Freestyle and I drove it and liked it. My friend relocated I called him today and guess what? he had the same acceleration issue that required a throttle body replacement. He had to wait four months to get the part!!!!!
    because the item was in National back order in 2009 s well!!!

PLEASE HELP how did you get them to cover the throttle body and how do I make them pay for a rental or give me a loaner I am afraid to drive the car the acceleration is getting worse
    I wonder with the amount of complaints with this part, this vehicle, and with the scams with the ESP if any legal agency or attorney would be interested in collecting the data and file lawsuit on behalf of all of us!!!!!! for deceitful practices :mad:
    edited July 2010
    "have a 2007 Ford Freestyle with a throttle body that needs to be replaced. The 3/36 warranty expired in March 2010. My vehicle has had many issues in the past that were covered by the 3/36 warranty. I bought the ESP Elite Plus, paid $1998 and now I am being told that because the throttle body is part of the emissions it is not covered.

To make matter worse I am being told that the item is in National back order. Now, in order to order the part I had to pay for it up front but they don't have it!!! and they had to know they did not have but now they have my money."

ESP Elite Plus? When I bought the ESP warranty for my FEH last year, they only had 4 types
    * PremiumCARE
    * ExtraCARE
    * BaseCARE
    * PowertrainCARE

But maybe they are different for the Freestyle or have changed since 2007. I don't see "Throttle Body" in the current PremiumCare list, but maybe it is exclusive to the CVT.
  • mrachedimrachedi Posts: 6
    We had wrench dash light come on three times couple of weeks ago. We had extended ESP with ford. Mileage + 73198.Throttle body replaced and covered under extended warranty. Cost was our $50 deductible with total cost over $600 to ford warranty coverage.

We were told part was on back order but KC MO suburban dealer found part and after four hour wait drove off same day we took it in for problem.

9926A E29 42 throttle body air intake replace 9E926
    12650D Quick test diagnosis
    12650DX1 Quick test diagnosis
    6F9Z 9E926 A Kit throttle control

TEST AND REPLACE THROTTLE BODY
  • lady_mimlady_mim Posts: 1
    I own at the moment a 2004 Freestar, that I thought I would keep for another year or so, but in May I had a complete transmission failure which has been fixed twice and now I am told that my actual transmission problem stems from a failing computer, which would add another $1000 or so to my list. :cry:

Now my dealer has offered me to trade my 2004 Freestar for a 2007 Freestyle, since I need a versatile vehicle for my kids and my business.

After reading some of the posts here I am becoming scared, but this IS the problem section, so what to expect....

Can anyone give me a list of questions I should ask my dealer about the Freestyle, deatails that I need to check? They are offering me $8000 as a trade-in value for my Freestar and the Freestyle has about 63000 km. With a price tag of 17,988.00 plus tax and fees. We are talking Canadian Dollars here, but that is beside the point.

I like the car, but am not sure what to do. My car is at the dealership, I am unwilling to drive it at the moment. I need a reliable car asap. Anyone who has some suggestions? :confuse:

Thanks, Mim
    " like the car, but am not sure what to do. My car is at the dealership, I am unwilling to drive it at the moment. I need a reliable car asap. Anyone who has some suggestions?"

See if they can get you a 2008 Taurus X. It is the same body style, but has the 6 speed transmission.
  • kieracmkieracm Posts: 5
    I purchased a brand new 2007 ford freestyle and now after 72,000 miles and many other problems that I had to fix on my own because I didn't purchase the warranty, I had to take it today to the dealership because of the Throttle Body that needs to be replaced. This will cost me about $1,000.00. My car is accelerating on it's own, the wrench light comes on after the acceleration, and I loose power all together. I am forced to shut off the vehicle, wait a couple of minutes and start the car back on. Just imagine this situation on a busy highway...

The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life...