Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• abessengerabessenger Posts: 10
    edited August 2010
    Never really resolved. I took it to a Ford Dealership and they cleaned whatever was making my throttle control stick and so far I have not had any more extensive problems. It accelerates sometime, but not like before. It does scare me a little though. It may get worse and cause an accident. Who knows?
    Another person wrote how to clean your throttle control himself on this site. I do not remember the name right off. It was posting 176.
    The dealership I had trouble with was not a Ford dealership and I had a Ford Explorer Sport Trac and loved it. I only got rid of it since I had been driving it for 10 years.
    One more thing is to call the NHSTA 1-88-327-4236 and Ford CRC 1-800-392-3673 and make a complaint. Have your VIN # handy. I along with others are trying to get a recall and they said it matters with how many complaints they get.
  • I got an email from an investigator with the NHTSA. He inquired about my problem and said that he needed me to answer some questions for him since they are conducting an "in-depth study" of the problem. If you would like to or like to receive a sign of reliefp call NHTSA 1-888-327-4236 and help influence a recall. Not having the Freestyle even a year, I can not afford to fix a problem that is a result of FORD!
  • Hello, happy but sad owners of the ford freestyle, i love our new to us car we really do. Sitting in the french quater of new orelans is not a place to have your car suddenly surge forward and almost hit predestrians. we also have had the same issues as most of the people on this site, we bought the car knowing it had defects such as the steering wheel radio buttons were not working the air would not work untill you got up to 4000 rmp's, but our biggest issue was the throttle body sensor. the mechanic that looked at it at the ford place said it would cost 700 something dollars to fix, i am a mechanic unless that part cost 5 to 600 dollars i dont see the labor in 700 dollars. back to the issue we started to surge also there really needs to be a recall!!!!!!!!!!! on this part the mechanic said there was water running through the throttle body sensor unless vechiles have changed soooooo much in my life i dont see the point in cooling a throttle body sensor with antifreeze. we had it fixed and it costed us 370 dollars. we told them to put the money from fixing the sterring wheel button torward the sensor... ford must do something of this issue we almost hit a mother and her baby crossing the road in new orelans due to the lurching forward at a stop, city driving with the air on high auto with the climite control on. :confuse: :lemon: :mad: if they were a little closer we would have hit that child.........
  • Read my post (190). An investigator from NHTSA emailed me about the complaint that I had and reported it to them after mine had done the surging. They told me that they were doing an in depth study and wanted to know all of the details. I suggest you call NHTSA and make the complaint about what happened to you and this may help get a recall. There is no sense in the consumer having to pay for a problem that they need to fix. The number is on the post. I do not have that particular one pulled up right now so I can not give it to you. Let's bond together and make this problem become a problem of theirs, but at the same time working in our favor.
  • ">I have a 2006 Freestyle that I had the throttle body replaced in in 2008(?) and today, it finally died after it, too, had been lurching for weeks...and guess the diagnosis - throttle body - it has failed again!

I have now had my car in the shop for work covered by my extended warranty 16 times!!!!! Three times for the A/C and now twice for the throttle body. As far as I have read, they are on backorder (not sure of my current wait time). Luckily, I have a rental car in my warranty agreement...now if only the Enterprise lot they have a contract with actually HAD any vehicles....that would be nice!

By the way, I am right outside Dallas, TX.
  • alexapfalexapf Posts: 6
    1. My dealership is in NY, I called Ford Corp and emailed them everyday documenting the safety issues.
    2.I also called the NHTSA to report the issue. You must do this as Ford allegedly does not have to report these safety issues to them.
    3.My auto insurance company covered most of the cost under a mechanical breakdown clause.
    I also intent to get a refund for the Extended Warranty .
  • alexapfalexapf Posts: 6
    Please report it to the NHTSA this issue is under current investigation. It only takes 10 mins online or on the phone.
  • lcjesselcjesse Posts: 30
    i have filed an online report with NHTSA and communicated via emails with Ford Customer relations. I was hot on this about 2 weeks ago. It has been 2 weeks since i had Fuel Induction service done INSTEAD of replacing the throttle body and i have had NO problems.
    I will be calling the NHTSA this week as maybe a phone call will allow me to express the urgency in getting a safe diagnosis and fix to the problem. I really am not sure the the TB is the problem, but the diagnostic computer thinks so because of the gunked up fuel system.
  • Here is a link to my story.

The key is to apply public pressure to Ford, and keep the complaints coming into the NHTSA.

I have started a facebook page for people to participate in sharing their story. When enough people join, we can get some buzz in the news.

One person said that only 419 people have filed complaints with the NHTSA. But backorder numbers indicate the problem has affected thousands of cars. FILE A REPORT! Do it.

Aside from the financial burden, this is a dangerous issue. stalls at highway speeds, or sudden lunges forward at an intersection will eventually cause a death.
  • herfreestyleherfreestyle Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Our family owns a 2005 Freestyle that we bought new at the Employee Pricing sale in the summer of 2005. It now has (only) 40,000 miles. It's Mom's Taxi to school, soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse, and the Grocery store. We haven't experienced any of the surging /stalling problems yet, but I like to be aware of them.
    I know that Ford made the Freestyle and the later renamed Taurus X with different engines and transmissions. I have the 3.0 liter engine with the CVT and FWD. Ford later used the 3.5 liter engine and some cars have a conventional 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission, and some are FWD and others AWD.
    Does anyone know if the 3.0 and 3.5 liter engines share the same Throttle Body?
    Anyway, if you would just take a moment and list your engine size and transmission it would be helpful. The engine size is printed on a white Ford emissions decal located just above the radiator. If your Freestyle accelerates from zero to sixty without shifting, you have the Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT), and if your savvy enough to be on this forum, you must know whether you have front or all wheel drive.
    Thanks for you input, I'll be following this forum closely.
    Mine is a 2007 SEL FWD 3.0L CVT.
    Like you i loved the size and the "idea" of the car. My "lurching" started at about 37K but was not happening all of the time, mostly i noticed it when i was pulling into my carport. This summer it became more frequent and made me more nervous as my 15 year old son was beginning to drive. It really got bad this summer as we began to have use the A/C. I also had to have the A/C compressor replaced thisi summer and an engine mount replaced for $1300. Once the A/C got fixed, the "lurching" became a real issue. Ford wanted to replace the throttle body but we opted for the Fuel Induction cleaning for $125 as our 1st option. Car has been running great for the lat 2 weeks and am praying that this is all that it needed.
  • beachitbeachit Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Freestyle that requires a new transmission. Surged/lunged while stopped at a light in July. I almost hit the car in front of me. Took it immediately to my mechanic. He couldn't get a "error message" nor could he get the car to repeat the surge/lunge.
    During a trip from Michigan to Virginia on August 12th, after about 8 hours into my trip, the car went haywire (surged - all lights came on) while on cruise control. Turned the car off and sat on the side of the road. Turned it back on and everything was fine. About 2 hours later, the car went haywire again. Found a mechanic (after 7pm - how lucky was that???) who was able to pull up a code "Trans Control Failure". Told me I would be able to make it to Virginia Beach but I should not use the cruise control. Made it to Virginia Beach and took it to the dealership where I bought the car. Was told I need a new transmission. Car has only 40,000 miles on it. Contacted Ford Customer Care. The new transmission cost is $7,000. Ford agreed to pay 1/2 and I have to pay $3,500. I should not have to pay anything.This is NOT acceptable.
    The transmission should have been recalled. I have contacted NHTSA.
    PLEASE - EVERYBODY OUT THERE WHO IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO CONTACT THE NHTSA. Their telephone number is 1-888-327-4236.
    Ford needs to stand behind their products. No way should a transmission fail at 40,000 miles.
  • ??? Did you have an extended warranty??? Second question why didn't you replace the throttle body? The throttle body has been known to cause a fire while the vehilce is not moving.... My understanding is the the MAF and throttle body are connected together in which they control the gas mixture etc. I had an extended warranty however, my coverage indicated that it was not covered, however, when the extended warranty company asked for codes, and the additional codes, the $1500 that it cost was completely covered. Now because of this issue, they recommended that I have the fuel injection cleaned at the same time to reduce and remove any build up that maybe there to prevent it from causing a problem again with the throttle body etc. The problem is that the company that is making the throttle bodies for this vehicle are on back order and it took almost 1 month to get my part, and my insurance only covered 4 days of rental coverage. So, I called Ford Motor in Detroit at the customer service number and spoke to a customer service rep. She took the information down, opened a ticket, contacted the dealership found out the same information on the back order that I was told, and I had asked for them to pay for a rental car since it was their delay. FORD covered my vehicle completely and actually gave me a bigger car than I would have gotten on a regular rental. The other issue is that I had the same problem where it was intermittant and they could never find anything wrong with it or even a code. They did the same thing that you did on fuel injection cleaning and it did not do anything and eventually ended up several monthly later with my vehicle going into fail safe mode and having a wrench on the dash, and eventually dying. I was told many times over and over by FORD directly that if it happens again, bring the vehicle in while the lunging is happening and do not shut it off so that they can hook it up immediately to the machine to get the reading of the codes and that is what I did this time and they got the codes that they needed..... And I told them what it was when I brought it in, and they confirmed it..... So, please be aware of this problem..........Also, I also thougt it was the A/C and had it replaced as well............
  • WAS IT A FORD MECHANIC THAT YOU TOOK IT TO AT 7 PM ????? The reason why I asked is because a majority of mechanic's out there are not familar with a lot of the newer vehicles and their codes, and I had a similar problem with another vehicle that was not a FORD, and was informed of this information from the Automotive Repair Bureau. Even the mechanic that I have that comes to my home to do work on my 1998 vehicle had indicated the same thing about mechanics doing work on vehicles when they really don't know what they are doing or have any knowledge of that vehicle...... Because you had the Trans Control Failure you should not have driven it at all. It should have been taken directly to the nearest FORD by tow truck. Because you drove it with a failure you placed your transmission at risk. This is why FORD made you pay 1/2. Yes, it is not fair that you had to pay for it. If I were you, I would SUE the mechanic that told you it was safe to drive it especially if he had stated to you that you would not cause any damage if that was the case, but you did not indicate that here. So, I will keep you in prayer in this matter......
  • I am new to this forum. I have a 2005 LE Freestyle (front wheel drive) that we purchased new. I have experienced the sudden surging/lurching over the past year or so, but it was so occasional and subtle that I thought I was imagining it. Then this week I almost hit a car in the school car rider line and it was definitely NOT my imagination. The car suddenly lurched forward (not subtly!) when I was STOPPED with my foot on the brake. It was a hot day & I'd just turned on the AC so my son would be comfortable (I usually don't use the AC that much). Also last week I almost hit a car when my car surged while I was backing out of a parking space (again, I'd just turned on the AC because I had other people w/ me). I only mention the AC because other posts have mentioned that variable. And because my incidents have increased this summer during the hot weather.

Most of my car's surges have happened when I was backing out of a parking space. But the accelerations were not quick/fast - I remember thinking "why am I having to brake so hard to stop when I'm barely moving??" I dismissed the thought that the car was accelerating (must be my imagination, because a car doesn't drive itself, right?). Anyway what happened this week (car suddenly lurching FORWARD from a complete stop!), and reading the MANY accounts of people having the same problem, has put it all in perspective for me. I agree that someone could be seriously hurt or killed and I shudder to think what might've happened if I'd been stopped at the front of the line where the kids were crossing in front of the cars. And now I'm twiggin' about driving, since it's happening more often and will most likely only get worse. I can't believe there's been so many incidents but no action by Ford or the NHTSA or whoever else could help. What's even scarier is having to wait months on the supposed fix (new throttle control - assuming you can afford it), with maybe no reimbursement for the rental car, and then it happening again AFTER the new throttle control. Seems like we're just screwed.

Anyway back to the facts. Most of my surges happened when the car was moving slowly in reverse. Fortunately it's always responded to hard braking. I have not experienced any "stall outs" during highway driving. However several times this summer the engine has unexpectedly "revved" while driving at higher speeds (45-55 mph). Again, it was subtle and only for a minute, so I overlooked it. Just kept telling my husband the car had a lot of "quirks" and I didn't feel so safe in it anymore.

FYI I will follow through by calling Ford CRC and filing an online complaint w/ the NHTSA. Thanks for all the info, phone numbers & website links. I guess I'll have to run it by the Ford dealer as well. Good luck everyone and maybe some good will come out of this before someone is killed or seriously injured. Think of all the unsafe Freestyles on the roads right now because their owners can't afford to fix the problem (or because they think their "little" problem isn't that big of a deal). I'm definitely going to enlighten the one other Freestyle owner I know in case she's been experiencing similar issues.
  • 06freestylemar06freestylemar Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    We are also experiencing these problems. We have been approached by 3 separate FREESTYLE vehicle owners in our town asking if share these commonalties. These details are the same: surging and lurching with foot on brake and the AC is on. Stalling and wrench light with codes indicating Throttle failure. Our HVAC (AC compressor) has failed and is on back order. FORD customer service states these are not common issues.... well someone needs to read these forums here and on FACE BOOK.
    I am cutting and pasting another poster's information for everyone to read:
    "The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life... " Kiecr poster on another FORD forum thread @ EDMUNDS.
    After reading post 198: I called the NH TSB and filed a complaint. I figure twenty minutes of my time my save my life and someone else. Additionally, it may prompt FORD to recall and save me money. PLEASE take a moment and call, they are very friendly and patient @ the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION AND SAFETY BOARD, aka...NH TSB.
  • I was having this problem for months. And like yours, running the AC in the summertime made it worse. I read on numerous sites that I needed to get the throttle body replaced and it would cost between $600-$800. Before trying that, I decided to try a bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner. It cost about $12. I also upgraded to 89 octane. Believe it or not, it worked! My Freestyle hasn't lunged since. If your problem returns, rather than paying the $125 to have the dealership clean the system, try this first! Best of luck.
  • it has been almost 5 weeks since i had the fuel induction service done and not ONE problem. I have yet to hear from Ford or the NHTSA since filing my report.
    It really bothers me that so many people are having problems and having to suffer with worrying about the cause, fix, cost to fix etc. I was recently visiting a local Retirement home delivery flowers to a chruch member when i had the opportunity to park next to a Ford Freestyle. Before i left i jotted out a quick note (and stuck it on the door) about the problem I was having and referring the owner to this website and leaving my contact information in case they wanted to chat. I am sure they thought some insane person left it. At least i tried.
  • i did not get the new throttle body because i wanted to try something cheaper since i had just spent $1300 getting the A/C replaced and the engine mount replaced. I had not read/heard about the "fire"issue. Now more things to worry about. I did not buy an extended warranty because i "foolishly" believed that a $27K car would "hold" up and that Ford built a quality product. From most posts i have read you really have to work to convince them to apply the warranty. Not sure if it was before or after i had the Fuel Induction service done where at least 2 owners had the TB replaced and w/in 3 weeks had the same problems recurr. Hope i can get another couple of years out of this vehicle.
  • Ok - I just saw the words "fire issue"...can someone explain? This IS a new one!
  • I don't understand the backorder stuff. When I got my throttlebody replaced for the second time last month, I got it back in 1 day. How in the world did they get that throttle body? The car runs great, but now I am worried about the fire scenario.
  • I never heard of a fire issue with the Freestyle. The writer is probably confused with the cruise control issue on some older Fords. A little bit of information can be a dangerous thing. A little bit of incorrect information is really bad. Our throttle body was replaced under warranty, and no problems since. I wonder how many transmissions have been incorrectly diagnosed because of the throttle body issue.
  • On a trip from Michigan to Florida on 8/18/2010 my 2006 Freestyle
    (odometer 60,000) lurched while slowly reversing from a parking space at a Georgia gas station. I thought I must have been parked on a hill so I continued to back up, and the problem happened again. The wrench indicator light came on, which according to my manual, meant we may have had some "bad gasoline" and the light should go off after 3 driving cyles. The light did turn off after a few days, but the problem happened again last week while in reverse at a grocery store back in Michigan. the wrench indicator came on, and after turning the ignition off and parking for a few minutes, the light was off again. Both occurences happened while running the A/C in 90 degree heat. I have yet to take the car to a repair shop, but will be trying the recommended use of Gumout to clean the fuel system this afternoon! After reading the other posts on this site, I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and will also do the same with Ford at www.fordowner.com
    Thank you to all who have posted similar issues/complaints about the Freestyle--hopefully we can get some answers/accountability from Ford!
  • Please let us know how it works out for you! Good luck and safe driving!!
  • Everyone: I tried every short cut recommendation, but unfortunately, it came down to replacing the throttle body, TSP sensor and a new top engine motor mount. Service tech believes the engine mount was compromised with the lurching and engine revving that was a direct result from a throttle body issue. Service Tech stated, his dealership has seen this problem countless times and with no sympathy from Michigan.
    I must note that this is the 2nd throttle body replaced during our ownership and from the first to the second replacement it occurred within 30,000 miles. There are presently, 66,000 miles on this vehicle.
    It is a back ordered part taking months to receive, my former neighbor who works for the 3rd largest FORD dealer said parts received are a direct result in sales and customer service ranking. So, if you are lucky to live in metro of a major dealer.. good news for you. My throttle body part was forfeited by a family transferred overseas last month and lucky me, I was next in request. Cost to me: roughly, over $1300. First time under warranty.
    Second issue: My AC failed compressor must be replaced. The compressor is available, however, the dryer recirculator part is back ordered 6 weeks!
    My neighbor is stepping up. He is selling me the part and shipping this part from his dealer to my door. Granted, it isn't my local small town dealer, but we live in a humid southern state and it's my money. Cost to me $1560.

Several complaints to NHTSA and no word. SAVE your receipts FORD must reimburse you, even if replaced prior to recall. Number of time replaced is endless, they must refund your prior fixes in entirety. God speed.
  • Sorry to hear the news...and thanks for keeping us posted. I'm thinking it might be time to sell my Freestyle.
  • We purchased our 2007 Freestyle Aug3 and went on a three week extended 3K mile trip. I noticed a few time when I moved the car at idle speed it lurched. The last day when we stopped for lunch while pulling out of the parking space, it lurched and the engine died. It started right up but the cruise control didn't work and I noticed when pulling out from a stop the engine just didn't seem to have much power. After stopping at a rest stop my wife drove and everything worked fine. Today when she was backing out of the garage it did a lurch. I got on this site and found many with this problem. I called the Nat Hwy Trans & Safety Bd and filed a complaint. Think I'll try the Gumout and see what happens.
  • We purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle earlier this year. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle, I noticed that it would occasionally lunge forward while I was holding the brake. This occured when the car was in drive and also in reverse. Over the next couple of months the lunging continued to get worse. A couple of times the car lunged forward, stalled and the wrench light came on. After a few minutes, the car would start and the wrench light went out. We took the car to a Ford dealership, and they didn't find any codes and said that there was nothing wrong with the car. We told them about the lunging, but they didn't notice it. Immediately after picking up the car it started the lunging. I read on this forum that some other owners had taken their cars for fuel induction service. So, I took the car to a different Ford dealership and had the fuel induction service done. It's been about a week since having the service done, and there has not been any lunging and the car is running better than it did. We are hoping that this will continue and are going to start putting injection cleaners in with after every couple of fillups. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSB.
    glad to see that you went with the fuel induction service. I had mine done 3 months (~3500 miles) ago and have not had 1 problem since. I also was regularly using BP gas but now I am switching between Shell and BP. Now i am at 61K and having to consider the recommended 60K CVT transmission service. Hope I can find a dealership that has CVT trained tech to do the work. Only 12 more payments to go, so i get it paid off before it dies.
  • We are now a couple of weeks out from the fuel induction service and the freestyle is still running great. There has not been any lunging/surging. I have also stopped purchasing gas at Krogers, and have been purchasing it from Shell.