Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    The emissions warranty is 80,000 miles and comes standard on the car, so look in your emissions warranty book that came with the car to see if the part is located there.

I had a problem with a Transmission Control Module that wasn't covered by my ESP but was covered under the emissions warranty, so it was fixed without any cost to me.
  • abessengerabessenger Posts: 10
    My Ford Freestyle is a 2006 and I bought it used form a Toyota place last October. It had 72,000 miles on it.I bought a warranty but the one offered to me does not cover the throttle body unlike the one offered if the vehicle is used but has less than 70,000 miles on it. I was told by Ford that I ought to get the number and call and complain and maybe they would do a recall or something.
    I got screwed buying the only extended warranty they offered to me, but they also told me that they had someone come in complaining about the same issue with another Ford two weeks before I did.
    It is time something be done before someone is killed in an accident caused by the throttle sticking.
    Thanks so much for the number and you can be sure I am going to call!
  • kieracmkieracm Posts: 5
    They never give you the full details...before this freestyle, i used to own a ford expedition. I purchase the most expensive and more comprehensive plan they offered (about $4,900.00) thinking that I would be covered for pretty much everything...however, when things started to happen and needed to be repaired, they found a way to go around it and not pay for the work and parts..for instance: my driver side glass was off track and was not going up or down. Well, the problem is that the little metal bracket that holds the glass together in place was broke and needed to be replaced. The glass was covered under the warranty, however the little bracket was not. In order to get my window fixed, I had to purchase the entire unit (glass and bracket which came up to about $970.00) as they don't fix or sell the bracket by itself... they are a major rip-off. that's the reason why I didn't purchase extended warranty for my new car.
    link">
    Everybody in this site should complain to DOT and we can definately make a difference and stop them from continuing to rip-us off over and over again.
    If you choose to pursue the Freestyle ask the dealer about the warranty, of what it does and doesn't cover and try to get the highest level of warranty they have. By that I mean they had to sell me the warranty based on the mileage of the used Freestyle. They sold me a level 3, which does not cover the throttle body being replaced. The next level does, but it is offered to customers at this dealership if the vehicle has not gone over 72,000 miles. My truck was 72,846 so they sold me the level 3 and I am now screwed, but I will say thanks for the phone number to the NHTSA (1--888-327-4236). I called and complained so maybe Ford will do a recall.
    I had a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and never had any problems! That is why I chose another Ford.
  • r_42r_42 Posts: 4
    I just called the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and filed a complaint. We all need to do this to get this problem resolved. Whether or not you have an extended warranty or not.There needs to be a recall on this issue. This is as bad as the Toyota problem and peoples lives are at stake. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "I just called the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and filed a complaint. We all need to do this to get this problem resolved. Whether or not you have an extended warranty or not.There needs to be a recall on this issue. This is as bad as the Toyota problem and peoples lives are at stake. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. "

You missed a step. "After they review the complaint and determine it is a valid design problem that affects many vehicles ..."

On this forum we tend to see the problems, but they sold a lot of Freestyles and most have not had the issues. The Toyota problems were also on vehicles that were pretty new. The FS hasn't been produced since 2007.
  • kberly531kberly531 Posts: 6
    I too have the same issue, I see that yours was in Oct of 2009, how long did it take to fix? They are telling me they dont have the part either and dont know when they will be getting one, maybe be a couple of weeks, WFT! I need my car, why isnt Ford making parts for their cars, doent make since. Of course my car is out of warranty too, so its going to cost $800 to fix it.
  • catcountycatcounty Posts: 3
    My 07 FS was diagnosed w/ the proverbial throttle body issue this week. Part will cost approx. $525, is on back order w/ no ETA listed. AND it requires pre-payment. This is ridiculous! $500+ pre-payment for a part they can't tell you when will arrive??? I called Ford customer care this afternoon, the lady was very nice but confirmed this information was correct but even she agreed it didn't seem right. She escalated it up the ladder and I am to receive a call w/in 2 business days. I will post what I find.
    I dont have to prepay anything but I am being told that the part may be in on their shipments over the next few days, they never know what they are getting on the truck. It wasnt on the friday truck, grrr...
  • Who is your extended warranty through?
    I have no extended warranty
    Toyota of Florence since that is who I purchased the used truck from and I bought the extended warranty at the same time.
  • l8againl8again Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Freestyle that died on I-95 in New York, bumper to bumper traffic Friday afternoon. I'm told it's a throttle body problem, the part is on back order all over the US, and it may be over a month until one is available. My car was towed to a dealership in CT and we took the train home to PA. I do have the Ford Extended Warranty but it won't cover a car rental for a couple of months. I have also called Ford customer service and should hear from Ford in two days. Perhaps a call to the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is in order. This is too common of an occurrence and breaking down on the highway is dangerous.
    Had to go without car for four days but luckily my ford dealer gave me a loaner today, I have friends coming from out of the country tomorrow for three weeks, great time to be without car.
    Ford Coustomer Care just called. I credit them for promptness. Lady said the pre-payment was a dealership policy. I did take the opportunity to voice the issue about throttle body assembley problems, for what it's worth.
  • alexapfalexapf Posts: 6
    EVERYONE please report this issue to the NHTSA .
    at 1-888-327-4236
    I dealer shopped and will get the part for $525, without pre-pay. Parts guy thinks it "may" be available early to mid August. Hope mine holds up that long.....
  • r_42r_42 Posts: 4
    When I called Ford CRC to complain about the issue and that they should pay for my rental they said there was nothing they could do because my car was out of warranty. I told the person that was unacceptable and asked to speak to her manager. Her manager called me back after a day and gave me the same story. I told him my car was being held hostage and was unsafe to drive and I'm being forced to pay for a rental because they won't have the part for at least three weeks. He said there was nothing he could do so I asked to speak to his manager. I day later I received a call saying that they will pay for my rental.

I think they're starting to feel the pressure. Keep it up everyone. Don't let them off the hook. There should be a National Recall and we shouldn't have to pay for this repair.
  • jeanie4jeanie4 Posts: 3
    I've been on this thread before but had to give it up--was bad for my blood pressure, if you know what I mean. My Ford Freestyle was traded in for a Hundyai (sp?) last September because of the utter futility of trying to deal with Ford. I will never, ever, ever buy another Ford again because of their inferior products--no wonder they don't stand by them. They're too interested in selling and not concerned about quality or follow--through. I,too, was told it would be months-long wait for the part and was offered a rental for a few days at best. My husband and I decided it would be best to cut our losses and go in another direction. This move is especially hard for a lot of people because financially they may not be able to do this. I would not count on the availability of the requested part. The least Ford could do is let the customer know where a part is in the process of getting it to the dealership--just like UPS does with a package--how about it Ford??? Stringing the customer along is a cruelty!!
    I'm sorry I do not know what CRC is. I would like to know and I would like the number. I called NHSTA the other day and complained. They said that they had recorded everything I said and read it back to me. I did suggest a recall, but have heard nothing!