Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

Comments

• Have a 2005 Silverado 1500 V6. Keep getting a steady chirping noise, seems to go away if vehicle is warm and idle. Once I accelerate the chirping noise comes back. I have changed out the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idle pulley. Got no clue, no engine lights are on, fluids all seem steady and no leaks that I’m aware of.
  • I have a 2005 Silverado dually with the 8.1 engine. It presently has 5400 miles on it. At 4600 miles it developed a drive train vibration that comes at 1200 rpm for a few seconds, back at 1800 rpm and back super bad at 2600 rpm. When I tow my camper it seems to hover at 2600 rpm just before shifting and at that point you can not see out of the mirrors. It tickles your ears and is very uncomfortable until it shifts, which at times is a few minutes. The dealer disconnected everything on the front of the engine as well as the torque convertor. The vibration was still present, so they replaced the harmonic balancer. When I got it back, it now is worse. Has anybody else ever had the same problem? GM now claims since nothing is broken, they can't fix it and it is "probably" a design flaw.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Was it GM that claimed that it is a design flaw or the dealer?

Personally, I'd go to another dealer.
  • It was the dealer that claimed it could be a design flaw. The closest dealer not associated with the local one is 65 miles away. Not convienent, and they want me to drop it off for a few days. When I called GM customer service, the person was nice and asked me what I wanted from GM. I said just to fix the vibration. Then she asked for me to hold on while she contacted the dealer that worked on it and when she returned to the phone, she transformed into a less than nice person, and ended it with words like, "I'll close this case and mark it that you aren't satisfied with the results." She is right, and my next call will be to BBB in Washington DC. Here we go!!! :mad:
    Once you file with the BBB and a buyback is initiated there will be another phone call from a GM rep. One that handles buyback and lemon law cases. They will offer you a free extended warranty to drop your claim. Course how you proceed after that is up to you. That warranty that they offer is the Major Guard bumper to bumper 100K/ 5 year no deductible worth around 2.5-3K.

good luck on whichever you decide.
  • I also had an 04 gmc sierra 4x4 z71 5.3 that vibrated at 900 rpm. i tried to get the dealer to fix it for 2 yrs and they replaced a heat shield on the muffler once which didn't fix it and couldn't diagnose it the other two times. (i also had steering problems which they've finally fixed) finally i took it in this month again and they said the transmission dipstick tube was vibrating against the firewall. charged me 45 bucks to redirect it and its quiet now. I thought the noise was coming from the dash and it sounded metallic and would be louder when colder outside and upon first starting the vehicle at that rpm. can't believe that was all it was. now i have to try and get GM to pay for it because it should have been fixed under warranty. although i'm just so happy it went away that its worth the 45 bucks...
  • Hello, New to the forum, I just recently had step bars installed and now i am getting a creaking noise from what i believe is the frame body mounts could these step bars be causing the noise? Would appreciate any help advice.
  • I took my GMC (2001 extended 4x4) to the dealership about the clunking issue and it cost me $400 to get it fixed. I let it go for quite a while and it started sounding worse and the "bump" you feel started getting worse as well.

Seems to me that GMC would have a recall about this problem as the last 2001 truck I had did this as well except I did not get it fixed then. Back then I don't think they really knew a lot about this issue but they sure did this time. Just as soon as I said what it was doing they knew exactly what it was doing. I did not even get out of the parking lot with the mechanic before he said for me to head back to the doors.

Does anyone know if there was a recall and now it has expired or anything relating to this?

Thanks
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    darkston, I have an '07 Classic Ext Cab W/T. I installed a pair of Westin tubes and noticed a vibration at 35MPH. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they said it was the tubes causing it. I have to keep the step tubes so the wife can get in the thing. BTW.....no creaking noise.
  • New to the forum and have a problem that I thought other may have experienced. I have a severe exhaust vibration that occurs when idling at a stop light (not during exceleration) and while maintaining a constant speed. Just finished my second visit to the dealer and still no improvements. Dealer is saying that GM is aware of the problem but are just considering this the "nature of the beast" with the V6 it comes equipped with. Dealer also stated that they are aware of this problem and have tried several different things (including flex hose) but have nothing. Any ideas??
  • I have a 2002 Sierra K1500 4x4. High mileage, but very clean and well taken care of.

I just recently noticed a low speed (30 or less mph) noise when coasting or braking to a stop.

The noise is coming from the right rear (Had a brave passenger lean out and listen).

I replaced the brakes and rotors nearly 1 year ago. I also completely removed the parking brake shoes and adjusters from both sides to see if that was the source of the noise. Since that didn't do it, I took both rear rotors off and inspected the backing plates to make sure they were not making contact with the rotor. Then I swapped the rear rotors and the noise was still on the right side.

I put the vehicle on a 2 post lift, placed it in gear, and with a rag in hand, applied drag to the right rear by pressing on the inside sidewall. I was able to recreate the noise. So, I replaced the right rear wheel bearing and seal. I noticed the C-Clip was wearing more toward the outer diameter on the side that faced the side gear, so I put it back in facing the other way to start fresh and reduce lateral movement of the axle.

The noise is still there and I am getting desperate.

Has anybody else had experience with this elusive noise?

Thanks in advance.
  • I checked the westin website they reccomend 74 foot lbs torque for the tubes not sure if the installer did this, seems to me they just used a impact wrench, never did see them torque anything, BTW my wife needs those steps too.......
  • Look at your exhaust manifold bolts and make sure they're not broke. I have a 2000 chevy that sounds like i lifter noise but its actually the rear manifold bolt is broke.
  • Try talking to the dealer about the GM mobility program, if you or any of your family members have a problem getting in or out of the truck, and you can get a doctor's slip stating this , they will pay up to $1000.00 to install steps or a lift. I had running boards installed on my silverado when I bought it, and GM paid for everything. I am looking for a new truck now, and I asked the dealer if they still have the program,and he said they did. my wife has implants in both knees,and she has trouble lifting her leg high enough to get in I hope this helps. maybe they can install anew set of bars.
  • i recently purchsed a brand new body style silverado 4/28/07. i then waited about 2 months and noticed that when ever I hit a bump going like 5-15 miles per hour there is a VERY noticeable clunking noise coming from the rear end... didnt think much of it till it started getting worse... i now have a 6" lift and 35s on the truck, the clunking is the same it was after 3 months... im gonna be taking my truck into the dealer on monday for my hindges that are rough when closing the driver door, and the same as some other people the side steps. i ordered OEM running boards and put them on and now theres a creaking noise coming from the door... only when the doors are closed though... im not happy with the vehicle that i decided to purchase... im a big chevrolet fan but the last thing i need is for GM to tell me to wait and then have my whole rear end fall out going down route 28, or to have my driver door to fall of, or even have my running boards snap on me... as far as the rear end goes i thought it was a chevrolet thing.. then i see al these other posts about it and how they had to pay $400 to get it fixed... my truck only has 6,500 miles on her. i dont feel i should have to pay anything... :mad:
  • Hey, After looking at westins website, I found that there is a one eight inch minimum clearance on the front body pocket mounts for the steps bracket, sure enough the installer did not follow this in the instructions for installing the tubes, I crawled under the truck the other day and loosend the steps and adjusted to specs, Then torqued to 74 foot pounds, and Voila no more creeks or noise.........Why did i pay someone to install these..........Damn
  • I have a 05 silverado 4X4 5.3 it has a vibration at 45mph-55mph after it shifts in over drive,if i give gas it stops vibrating if i let off the gas it stops vibrating. This happens around 1400 rpms
    I have an '07 Classic Ext. Cab 2WD 6cyl with 6500 miles. I am taking it in for warranty work today. I have a vibration in the gas pedal that begins at 35mph. There is also a slight vibraton in the steering wheel at the same time. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.
  • jhawkes2jhawkes2 Posts: 1
    i have the same truck and the same problem. been in shop twice and changed a heat shield and the exaust. truck is still doing it, please if you know anything different let me know! gets so bad sometimes front end shakes!
  • alc8alc8 Posts: 4
    new to the board. o4 silverado 4.8 extended cab. getting a vibration at 45 mph. dealer has checked and rechecked everything from tire balance to replacing the driveshaft. final determination was there isn't a cure except to run with 200-300 lbs of weight in the bed. any thoughts or suggestions?
    Take it to a tire shop that has a hunter 9700 or better. Lots of these dealerships will send the tires out to rebalance and others will balance with older equipement. Do yourself a favor and have those tires checked out with a hunter machine.

Use this link to find a hunter near you.

Hunter balancer
  • openend22openend22 Posts: 12
    How long ago did the vibration start? I had one that was doing the same and went thru the dealership 3 times.. they rebalanced the tires and even balanced them on a machine they called a road force balancer.. it moved the vibration up to start at 55mph then.. anyways took it to a old timer front end shop.. we took it for a ride and he came back to the shop put it up in the air then ran the truck with the wheels off the ground.. He pointed to my right rear tire.. It was slightly out of round and thats what the problem was. I had the tire replaced and its fine now.. hope that helps..
    The vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal are nearly 95% gone. I got the same run a round from the dealers, "not abnormal, they all do it, it's the step tubes causing it". I'm retired and have plenty of time to make myself a pain in the a** at the dealers. Finally they put a short piece of flex pipe on the exhaust.....no difference. Then they "just discovered" a fix for the vibration from GM. They installed two vibration dampeners on the exhaust system. (part no. 10199232)
    Getting Chevrolet to honor the new vehicle warranty that I paid for in the price of the truck is like pulling teeth.
  • Hey all
    I have a problem that I cannot get fixed. I have had the vehicle to the dealer 3 times and they cannot find the problem. Here are the symptoms.
    When I apply the brakes, the truck starts bouncing in the front end. I have replaced the rotors and brake pads and the ball joints are supposedly good. Had them checked out the last time in, and I was told they are ok. I have bought new upper and lower to replace the old ones, but was told it would be a waste of money.

So I guess my question is, should I go ahead and have them replaced anyways, and also have the steering link replaced along with the front end bushings?? Anyone ever come across this problem??? The truck has 190K miles on it and the ball joints are the originals, but I do grease them, along with the rest of the lube points, with every oil change.
    When was the last time you changed your shocks?
  • I forgot to add that I changed shocks last year when this problem started. That was one of the first things I thought of. I put on some good biltstein shocks, and my old shocks were really not in bad shape.
  • HI--I purchased a lightly used 2004 Sierra off of a GMC dealer about 6 weeks ago. It has the big block 496 and the Allison 5 speed and is very fun to drive and I assume that come camping season it will pull my camper effortlessly. In the last couple of days though I have noticed that if I lightly apply the throttle from a dead stop I get this minor thump or thunk. I have asked people riding if they have felt or heard it and nobody notices it. It is there and I certainly notice it---so my question is whether anybody else has this combo and notices it or whether it is "normal" with these Allisons. It almost feels like what a bad u joint would do...... I have also read alot about the torque converter bolts loosening on these trucks. Hellllllllllllllllllllppppppp I love the truck but don't want any trouble on a 4 year old rig with 40,000 miles.
  • brian04brian04 Posts: 3
    What was the problem?
  • gavinhgavinh Posts: 3
    i have a 94 serria 4x4 with overdrive auto trans,at approx 105 kph and 2000 rpm the front end shakes so violently i think its going to come apart,if i let off or step on the gas it quits as long as i stay out of the "sour spot",just put new tires on it and the shop didnt say anything about bent rims,im lost
  • gavinhgavinh Posts: 3
    it sounds like we have the exact same problem,did you have any luck sourcing out the promlem?