Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

Comments

• kbexkbex Posts: 3
    I finally got around to looking for the problem, and re-tightened the crossmember bolts, but it still does the "popping" thing when going in reverse. I'll keep looking, thanks for the info!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    When I had a friend's shop tighten the crossmember with an impact gun, I still had the popping. The correct procedure is to loosen all the crossmember bolts then tighten. Can't remember the torque settings.
  • My 2002 Sierra SLE with the 4.8L V8 has an engine noise that has been going on for a few years. Sounds like lifters to me. Was told by the dealership that it is normal and will not harm the engine. It only rattles for a moment when accelerating a little on the fast side. Does anyone have the same problem or know of a fix? Thanks
  • sd11181sd11181 Posts: 1
    Gumpp08. I have an 03 gmc 1500 crew cab with a 6.0 engine. It makes a noise like the lifter pecking really bad when you start it and you can still hear all day long when its under a load. I have had it to two shops and they say its normal. if it is I will not buy another one as its driving me up the wall. Does anyone know if it is normal for these engines to do that even after they are warm. I dont trust either shop as the dealer has connections with both of them. thanks
  • We have a 2000 Sierra 1500 that also "shakes violently", similar to the Silverado description. The shaking occurs immediatley upon driving over an overpass expansion joint or similar ridge on the road and results in a violent shake/bounce in the front-end and steering wheel. The shaking doesn't stop until we bring the truck to a complete stop on the side of the road (slowing down doesn't help once the violent shaking starts - a complete stop is required). We have taken the truck for "repair work" several times but nothing has fixed this problem - we have replaced shocks, wheel bearings, tire rods and rotated tires without any improvement. We no longer trust our truck on the highway and currently use it for short, side-road trips at low speeds only. Any suggestions??
    Has it gotten worse or remained the same over the last 8 years?
  • I have an '07 Silverado Classic ext cab W/T. When the transmission shifts at 40-45 mph there is a brief vibration or shudder that can be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal. When I took the truck in for it's first oil change I mentioned the problem to the dealer's greeter. When I picked the truck up I was told that the transmission was operating as designed. They did not road test the truck, just plugged it into a computer. Could this shudder be caused be the two piece drive shaft?
  • kbexkbex Posts: 3
    Finally found the problem. The upper control arm forward bolt is sheared. Don't know how that happened, and I'm looking to see if this is a recall/tech bulletin item.
  • My 2002 Sierra 2500HD 2WD Crew cab with short box has vibrations in the rear @ 45 mph regardless of road conditions. This condition has existed since new. (Dealer said it was normal) Ha. It is now worse than ever, the truck has 123K on it. All the normal things that would cause vibrations are in perfect working order. GMC has a PI on it # PIT3009E.
    It says put 200-500 lbs in bed. Guess I could just tote my 5th wheel every where. Does any one have information on a fix for this problem? GMC has been aware for 8 years now and plans no fix for HD series, The Fords are looking better all the time. To bad I can't afford a new truck or I'd have one.
  • I have a 2007 Sierra 1500 Crew VortecMax with a bug shield. I am experiencing a popping noise in the bottom right corner of the windshield. I only hear it when it is really windy or when I am going +65 mph. Someone had told me that GM didn't wind tunnel test their trucks with bug shields on them, that is why I am hearing the noise. Has anyone ever heard of this???? THANK YOU.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    Sounds like the same thing I have on my '07 Classic. What's a #PIT3009E
    you are right about the Fords. I rode in a friends new ext. cab and it rode smooth as a car.
  • try using full senthic oil 5w-30. I had a 2500hd with the same moter and thats all i used and never had a problem with the tapping. you might need to change the oil a few times to get it worked throw the moter. dad had the same problem with his truck. after he worked the oil throw the moter it sounds great
  • HEY I'M NEW TO THIS, JUST TRYIN' TO GET SOME FEED BACK. IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM. I'VE GOT A 2004 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 CREW CAB Z71, SOUNDS LIKE A GRUNT WHEN REAR END UNLOADS AFTER BRAKING OR WHEN TAKING OFF FROM A DEAD STOP. SEEMS TO ME IT'S COMING FROM THE LEAF SPRINGS BUT I'M NOT SURE. ANY INFO WOULD HELP, THANKS
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Research the archives.
    This "feature" was addressed a couple years (or more) ago on trucks with bug shields.
    Seems that they applied tape or glue to the edge of the windshield to stop the turbulence induced noise.
    Anyone else?
  • My 2000 GMC Sierra makes that same noise under same circumstances and I have no bug shield. It REALLY irritates me when i'm driving. Can somebody look into the "putting tape or glue on corner of the winshield" a little deeper?
    I don't have a subscription so I can't post the TSB but the TSB number is as follows:

GM TSB#04-08-48-003 Windsheild Reseal

You can find more info on it at www.alldatadiy.com if you want to pay for a subscription. Being that you're out of warranty by far it may or may not be worth your while. What is says is for the dealer to reseal both sides of the windshield with a GM approved adhesive.

At this point I'd buy windshield adhesive at checkers for $5 and go from there. Lift up the rubber flap, add the adhesive and tape it down till the adhesive cures. Good luck.
  • mule2mule2 Posts: 11
    heartmaker. I had a 2004 z71 the noise your hearing is the front yoke on drive shaft.some of the yokes were made out of a different materal. some of the yokes were put on 2002 & up. There was some bullintens put out on them.stating the problem.there was some replaced in early years.The dealer may want to tell you he doesn't know any thing about it.I had all kinds of problems with that chev.there is also a noise when the tran. shifts from 2nd. to 3rd. & from 3 rd. to 2 nd.They won't fix that.I sold the z71 & bought a new tundra good truck hope i don't have any trouble with it.
    Since this is a chevy/gmc topic I won't bore you with details on your Tundra. However, I will give you this link:

Toyota Tundra

Good luck on this one now.
  • I've got a '99 Trooper and installed a bug shield on the hood when it was new. The popping started. I removed the bug shield, and voila, the noise stopped except very rarely, when I am driving in a very strong cross wind that hits the windshield at an oblique angle.

I have read elsewhere that the wind turbulence lifts the trim that holds the windshield in place. If you secure the trim with adhesive, it goes away.

A friend with a F-350 had the same thing happen at any speed over 45 mph. We finally found that the rubber molding around the windshield was loose along the top of the windshield. The wind created a vacuum as it travels over the roof, lifting the rubber strip and making it vibrate. When stopped, you couldn't see anything was wrong. He glued it down, the noise completely disappeared.

Hope this helps.

1offroader
  • It's a buzzing sound. I thought it was the fuel pump and replaced it yesterday but while driving it that night the same noise is still there. I realize that it could be the new fuel pump making the same sounds but with my luck that's probably not it.

What else is back there that could be making the noise. It does it while moving or standing still so it's not the rear end. It doesn't do it all the time either.

Thoughts?