Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

Comments

• I have a 04 chevy silverado and when you turn the steering wheel left or right going forward or backwards at low speed there is a clunking sound in the colum and brake pedal. I have changed the front left wheel berring and it is still there. All the bushings look good up front im lost help. Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Have you replaced the intermediate steering shaft with the new one GM replaced on all Silverados?
  • Not yet but I will thanks for the info. I didn't know that was an issue with these trucks you just saved me alot of time, Thanks again.
  • I have an 03 GMC Sierra extended cab 2WD 5.3L that I cannot locate or repair a very annoying grinding noise. I have replaced both front wheel bearings, all brake pads and rotors all the way around including park prake shoes. I even cranked park brake shoes all the way in to make sure they weren't rubbing. Checked back plates on both rear brakes. $1500 bucks and still have the noise? Help?! I love this truck but enough is enough. Very seriously considering trading it off.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    Could it be an aggressive tire tread or wear pattern noise that transmits through the truck to sound like a grinding vibration?
  • I have a 2004 GMC sierra ext. cab with a 4.8 eng. 102k miles. Recently i have began to hear some sort of a dry rubbing noise coming from the bottom rear of the truck. this only happens when i brake and when I coast under 40 mph. I thinks its the bearing between the two driveshafts but i dont know the name of it and the part store guys around hear don't know either. I wanna fix it before i have to let the dealer take a look at it or before something else fails.
  • sp128sp128 Posts: 2
    The truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 1500 P/U (AWD)

When I first put the truck into "drive" or "reverse" from park, begin to move and turn the wheel to the left or right, I hear and feel a single "knock" from my drivers side front wheel.

As I drive, there are no more noises, just the one single knock upon putting the vehicle into motion and turning the wheel.

I recently replaced the transfer case, any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • I have a 2001 2500hd with the 6.0 the issue with the engine is it is a net built engine that is not built to exact specs, there are many law suits out on it . My truck has the cold knock, it knocks until it warms up"1-3 min" then quietnes down to where you can not hear it. i just hit 300k today, changed the oil and there are still no shavings or chunks in oil. the knock is annoying but has not affected the engine at all.

With your engine you should have the preset rockers on the engine, after about 60k they loose their setting and become week or loose, change them out or try to tighten them down "check torque do not over torque" that should fix the tick for a few more thousand miles.
  • 2000 silverado 2500. 187,000 miles. few days ago i noticed a low rumble or growl that causes a vibration only when at a stop. when at 0mph in drive the vibration is constant but as soon as the rpms get past 1000 it goes away. when in neutral or park vibration is loapy. im thinking maybe something with the transmission. the truck itself runs and drives just fine. trans fluid is at the correct level, and red. truck is not abused
    If it only happens at idle you can replace your Idle Air Controller if you haven't done so in the 187,000 miles.
  • could be the baffles in your muffler might want to check that out.
  • hvychev77hvychev77 Posts: 3
    Hey guys, new to the board here....i read some other posts on the squeaky leaf springs that so many silverado owners have, what is the deal with the update? Anybody know the part numbers and the cost of it? i don't know of a way around taking it to a shop, i'm open for suggestions if someone would share it with me...I'm to the point that i'll try anything!! Thanks, bj
  • I have a Sierra 2009 with 24,000 miles. The engine has been making a tapping sound for the last few thousand miles. I took it in today and was told since I wasn't using a GM oil filter it is the reason for the sound.
    So all they did was change the oil filter (and charge me $17 for it) and the engine still taps.
    First, I would like for them to tell me specifically how the oil filter caused the tap. What's actually happening.
    Second, I was given a printout regarding problems using a non gmc filter and it was dated Jun 2009. I bought my vehicle in Jan 09, so they are not accepting any responsibility at all.
    I have become very disgruntled, especially after I've been purchasing chevy/gmc products for over 15 years.
    What brand of oil filter are they making an issue over?
  • I don't know what brand was on there but to me it seems like they just searched for a convenient excuse to not go inside my engine.
    Here's part of the letter I received verbatim: Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco oil filters directly from GMSPO.
    You have protection under the Magnuson Moss Act.

Magnuson Moss Act

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    Hello SpringKing,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did you ever call the dealership back and tell them the concern is still there? Have you taken the vehicle to a different dealership for a second opinion? Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • brettdawgbrettdawg Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    IN NEED OF SOME HELP.. bought a 06 sierra about a month ago. only has 65k on it, i did not notice this on test drive.. and seemed fine plus came with gm warranty 12k, which i am findin out they dont like to pay for things..

main issue at 65-75 mph i get a vibration from front left end, sounds alot like a bad tire or out of balance, had dealer balance and rotate... still same, then they said rotors were rusted on back side and can cause vibration-240.00 later, still same sound.. so my guess now is bearing or is something from cv shafts?? the thing is the dealer is stumped now, they told me everything in front end looks good, with normal wear for 65k on it

add to this is i believe the truck is been in accident after owning it 2 months,even though clean carfax, but i got a spot that has been repainted on fender -[paint starting to peel].. so could accident cause any of this?? or just typical front end issues
  • tryitoktryitok Posts: 1
    2003 silverado 5.3 v8 - At about 1800 to 2100 rpm, a high pitched chirp sound is heard. Sounds like a muffled telephone ringing. Goes away over 2000 rpm. 97000 miles. not heard below 1800rpm.
  • in front end of my 1998 gmc 2500 4x4 have a bad roar in front end i have already replace pittman arm, both hubs what is the problem please some one help been to two diffrent places no mechanic can find the problem
  • i had same problem on my 2008 Gmc Sierra. Ended up being cv shaft was snapped. I started to noticed it when backing up and turning either way i'd get a knock. and then it eventually got to the point when i would be pulling into a parking spot.
  • Hi, I have a Silverado 2500HD Truck. I recently encountered a problem with my truck. I will be driving down the highway and as soon as I reach 50 mph my truck begins to shake. I took it to get the tires checked but they said tires good. Then i took it to get it check by mechanic he said I had error codes saying their was a misfire on cylinder 6, 7, 8. I replaced all the spark plugs and wires but continue to have the same problems. Now the mechanic says It can be several things but we wont know until he replaces each thing. I read several people with the same issue. Has anyone solved it?? I would appreciate any advise.
  • dan20111dan20111 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2003 chevy silverado1500 ,

I have a pop/ kock noise in the dr side weel when i come to a stop. i jacked up the frount of the truck and found out that my inter tie rods had some play in them so i replaced my inter and outer one on the left and right side, figerd that would fix it , it fixed the noise that i had when i turnd, but not when i brake, i can make it do it when i stop hard or if i hold the brake all the way down and put it in drive or to back up and give it a lot of gas it will do it one time, then if i swich gears and do the same it will do it then , but it dose it every time i stop hard, i can feel it in the floor or brake when it dose it and i can hear it over the radio as well. i checked to see if i had play up and down on the weel and it did not feel that it did. as if a ball jont would be bad, dose any one have a clue as to what it mite be?
    Thanks Dan
  • i have the same problem with my 2001 gmc sierra z71 it makes a high pitch squeeking noise constantley when in motion i have replaced the pads the rotors brake hardware kit and the noise is still there i jacked up the back of the truck on jack stands and put the truck in drive and the wheels seem to have a slight wobble un balanced look to them in so i went and had brand new tires mounted and balanced at sears nothing has changed seems like the brake callipar slides are sliding back and forth and causing the grinding noise lubed them up really good and the noise stoped for 3 days and is now back please help i am so sick of this noise any ideas the truck has 260,000 on it now and is good as new and the whole rearend was replaced at 150,000 could it be the axles are off or bent?? i would do anything to make her quite again
  • kahulukahulu Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 LS. I was driving uphill one day and my truck was losing power and was not shifting to 3rd gear. At that time, a loud and schreeching noise came from the undercarriage. Thats when the truck stalled on the hill and died out. I restarted the truck again, it starts up and idles for a bit but then dies out. My truck was towed back to the house for further review. I used a GM scantool to scan for error codes. The codes that pulled up were p0300, P0101, and P0135. I know the meaning for all of these codes and replace everything except p0300. The scantool also showed 1, 3, 5, 7 of the enigine side was not responding. I was told it could be the catalytic converter. Where do I begin with this? I am not looking for the "quick" fix, but just the right fix. Any help would be appreciated!
  • juleofbcjuleofbc Posts: 2
    Hi We have almost the same problem, except we are eating mid-grade life time brakes within 9 months to a year,we changed rotors and brakes and now the noise is worse then ever, My brother said he had the same problem and it was the hub,and that the axle can slip right out, we are going to the chev dealer Wednesday, and will now then, wish me luck, If you have found out anything differnt please let me know/ thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    juleofbc,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • had similar noise, turned out to be wheel bearing