Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Can you answer some questions about Honda Accords too? "

In a general sense, yes, however, I don't spend much time with Hondas (other than a little good-will work on a few in my neighborhood), so if you have some specific questions, you might be best off asking elsewhere. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here's a good place to start: Honda Accord group. :)
  • I just bought a 2008 535xi with every available option minus night vision. The car is gorgeous, black with light tan leather interior, 29k miles, I paid 34K. I was wondering if this is a competitive price. Sport, Premium, Blue tooth, Parktronic, BMW Assist, Nav, etc, Car is beautiful, just wondering.
  • rezrez Posts: 41
    Sounds like a STEALER deal to me!!! Enjoy your car.
  • Thanks rez, I pick it up in the morning on the 16th. I will let you know.
  • Sounds like a sweet deal for sure. But check the service history and make sure you don't have a car with a fuel pump problem.
  • Planning on purchasing a 2002 530i, auto, 59,000 miles for $12,900; black on black premium sport, cold weather, xenon, new BMW car matts, new tires less then 10,000 miles ago, serviced recently, clean car fax, FL car, garaged, owned by pilot originally, now owner getting a divorce. KBB is $14k+, only repair reported is a left rear window motor.

Anything I should know about this year/model, seems like a solid year? Planning to get a BMW dealer to do a pre-purchase inspection. Also looking for any suggestions on extended warranties. Thanks for any input, I loved my 1985 528td and 1994 530i, but know that you can get a bad used BMW.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,357
    Anything I should know about this year/model, seems like a solid year?

The 1997-2003(E39) 5ers are just brilliant sport sedans. The inline sixes are very reliable and trouble free. Water pumps tend to go south in the 60K-100K mileage window, and I'd R&R the radiator and t-stat at 100k just to be on the safe side. Heck, I'd buy an E39 530i if I could find one with a stick(though I'll probably end up putting my financial well being in mortal peril by purchasing an E39 M5 :P ). If the car checks out, have the ATF and final drive oil changed immediately.
    I doubt an extended warranty is worth the money. At worst you'll be looking at replacing some suspension parts, accessory belts/pullies, and maybe a couple of power window regulators prior to 130K.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I joined Edmunds forum just to say thanks to the many folks who have informed us about used BMW's. Thanks Shipo, Roadburner, Fed Lawman...and many many others who educated me. I bought an 03 BMW 525i I think the color is Blue Water Metallic... It grows on you. Not my first choice but the longer I have it the more I like it.

It was a one owner. I bought it online...yes I know what you are thinking.. but it worked out. The guy I bought it from had all books and records. He babied it and it showed. Ran a Carfax, paid less than 10K for it... New tires, straight body, shiny paint, no rips or tears, interior looked new. It had 75k on it .. I drive hard.. It now has 86k six months later. :surprise:

Permit me to make a few observations... first I come from a background of driving Hondas for the last 15 or so years. So I thought about the earlier posts above. My Hondas were great. Reliable. Well engineered and bulletproof. Had some road noise but car performed well since I drove it and others over 35K per year.

My BMW.. wanted something totally different...but couldn't afford a new one... Love the style of the 03 525i.. a classic to me. Love the lines, the interior, the amenities. heated seats, steering, headlight washers, rear vents, tool kit (yes all my tools were there). Love the headlights at dusk, and the auto option and fog lights.Car looks new even though it is 7 years old.

It handles more stiffly than a Honda. Low end acceleration is a bit pokey. To me it is a better cruiser than a sport sedan. Conti's are ok for me.Use only premium fuel.. gave up on the idea of saving pennies and wasting dollars. Maintenance is higher, it just is...nothing you can do.. it ticks off my wife, but it is my car. That is why I bought a used one. Oil changes cost me $100 plus.. again made wife mad :mad: , but can go further btw changes. Wish I could get satellite radio.. have the right 'head' but getting the other parts has been a challenge.

I agree with Shipo's many comments about keeping up with maintenance. It may cost me more but I think it will pay off. I enjoy driving the car and I feel I made an informed purchase due to the folks on this Board...

Thanks..... Hoosier BMW
    Maintenance is higher, it just is...nothing you can do.. it ticks off my wife, but it is my car. That is why I bought a used one. Oil changes cost me $100 plus.. again made wife mad , but can go further btw changes.

Have you considered changing the oil yourself? It's dead easy on an E39. Oil and a filter will run @$60. Join BMW CCA, most dealers and shops offer CCA discounts. A good indie BMW tech will likely save you money as well.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    Any thoughts on what to look out for when looking at used 540it's and the M5? I ask b/c I'm not as familiar with these larger engines and possible issues.

I'm seeing a few out there with 75K miles, offered for $14K (540it) to $18K (M5). I'm sure maintenance will be pricey, but I'd like to go in with my eyes "wide open" for any potential major issues.

Thanks.
  • Cooling (rad, water pump) and electrical systems are well documented trouble areas. Tranny and engine issues, if/when occur, are very expensive to fix. Massively expensive if M5. Having or finding independent BMW mechanic with BMW-specific training/tools essential for happy long-term ownership. Finding well-maintained unit (in excess of factory spec. if possible) equally essential. With those two conditions, what you spend in repair and maintenance you will more than save in depreciation.
    I almost bought a 2003 540i Sport in January 2009, but I decided to be practical and keep my Mazdaspeed 3. Big mistake. Right now I have my eye on a 2000 M5 that I'm hoping to pick up for less than 16K. BMWtips.com and m5board.com are excellent places to do a little research. The S62 seems to be a fairly reliable engine; most problems you may encounter are relatively minor(if not necessarily cheap to fix)- such as thermostats, VANOS solenoids, etc. Other than that, you just have the typical E39 maladies such as suspension bushings, window regulators, and radiators.

I spoke to an independent BMW mechanic last night and he said to expect to spend $2K-$3K annually for the M5... or roughly 50% more than for the 540 (as an example, he said that the all four brakes on the M5 would run $2K). Now, I could justify this because I should only need to do the brakes every 4 years or so.

He basically said that it would make more sense to get the 540 w/manual transmission.

Is this what you guys had in mind, cost-wise?
    I spoke to an independent BMW mechanic last night and he said to expect to spend $2K-$3K annually for the M5... or roughly 50% more than for the 540 (as an example, he said that the all four brakes on the M5 would run $2K).

Aside from brakes, I can't see where he's getting those numbers. Do more parts fail on the S62? Are said parts more expensive? A combination of the two? With regards to the brakes, you can get Centric rotors and StopTech pads from Zeckhausen Racing for $608. Several M5 board members have used them with no complaints. Either do the install yourself(it's very simple) or have your indie guy do it.

From what he was saying is that all of the parts are more expensive. I'll have to call another indy to get a second opinion of what my potential out of pocket expense will be.

Funny that you mentioned the MS3-- I started my process of really wanting to get a hatch/wagon but couldn't find one that was RWD and manual transmission. Though, I did consider the MS3 and GTI (GTI seems nice, but I feel a bit old for it). The 3 and 5-series wagons are hard to come by with a stick, so I've migrated to the 5-series (and I have a preference for the E39 body style / fewer electronics).

Why are you eyeing a 2000 model year, instead of an '01-'03?
    Why are you eyeing a 2000 model year, instead of an '01-'03?

I'm looking at a specific car that has passed a thorough PPI and is priced right. I can always upgrade the Nav system to a Mk. IV- and the Celis lights and LED tails as well.

• You can save yourself lots of money by changing the oil yourself. It is so simple on this car, it takes about 15 minutes to do. The oil filter is topside with a screw on canister and the oil drain plug underneath the car. With the money I save I use lubro-moly oil, which is more pricey than your average oil but the best oil for this car.
  • dechodecho Posts: 16
    Hi all,
    currently own a 97 e39 w/160k. got clipped in the rear and ins paid me 4500.00 for repair. It;s still my daily driver, I kept the money and am considering purchasing an '03 530i steptronic, CWP and PP with 72k.
    Many friends think I'm weird buying the same car but it's been a bullet (typical radiator problems/window reg).
    New car is local at dealer, full service records; dealer recently replaced fuel pump, alternator/generator. I want to offer them 12k for the car....thoughts?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    If you get it for $12K from a dealer, that would be a steal.. That's a really nice car (as you know), and the last year for that model... I can see why you want another one..

I'm guessing your current ride won't be worth much with the $4500 in damage...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks for the reply. Although I agree with the 12k being a great deal ,the dealers first offer was 13500.00. I've been out of the car buying game for a while and the numbers for this one seem to be 20% either way. I don't expect to hold onto this one as long as I did my previous one- but u never know.
    whats a good price in your opinion?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    7 year old cars are hard to appraise without seeing them.. Since you already own one, you'll be the best judge.

If it's a good color, and optioned well, with no significant accident history, then $13,500 could be a good price. It certainly has low miles for an '03.

If you have it checked out, and you are sure that it's the car you want, then even at his current price, it can't be a bad deal... As always, when it comes to buying cars... lower price is always better.. lol..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Price $20,995
    Mileage 56,000
    Body Style Sedan
    Exterior Color Blue
    Interior Color Black
    Transmission Automatic
    Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear

I drove it and it is super nice. Car Fax is clean.
    bet u can do better..auction prices are around 18k...trends in kuxury imports are that installed options get the premium price. for the 5 series it would be NAV and sport package,xenons,...leather and heated seats are basically standard..consider that I recently looked at a 2010 5 series with MSRP of ~50k...and an ipod adapter was a 300.00 option!...standard in a toyota.!...
    but......there is no equal when it comes to driving!
  • mrmayormrmayor Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2008 535 and want some advice on the purchase. I am very fearful of maintenance issues on a BMW but love the way a BMW looks and drives. I am 35 years old and have only owned two cars since I was 16. That being said, I like to keep my cars for a long time. A few questions, is the maintenance record on a BMW as bad as some of these discussion forums sound, is the 535 a good choice compared to the 525, 528 and 530 options, should I go i or xi and what should I expect to pay for one with about 30,000 miles? Everything I see on cars.com is in the $39,900 price range which seems high compared to some other forums. Also, what advice can you give on making sure I get a good vehicle, without any previous damage and no previous maintenance issues...aside from it going through the CPO program? All in all, is the 535 a good choice and can I get 7-10 years of life out of it without paying an arm and a leg to maintain it? I am a bizarre mix of wanting the styling and performance while having a finance hot button. I don't want to waste a lot of money keeping the car on the road seeing as how I am already spending a lot of money to put it there. Thanks for any and all advice!
    If you want to keep a BMW 5er long-term with a minimum of hassle I would strongly recommend that you buy one fitted with a naturally aspirated(i.e. no turbo) inline six- such as a 528i or 530i. I'd also advise going with a rear wheel drive model. If you have to deal with severe winter driving conditions you can buy a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack and simply use that set during the winter months. A CPO car will have a warranty on the expensive bits until 100K, so that may be an important consideration. That said, I believe all the hysteria over BMW running costs is really overblown. My wife drives a 2004 X3 with over 95,000 miles on it. It's required one warranty repair- a passenger seat airbag sensor. The Inspection II(major) service cost @$400 at our local dealer. An Oil Service and brake fluid flush cost $150. Depending where you live you may be better off finding a good indie BMW tech. I'd also recommend joining the BMW Car Club as many dealers and shops offer Club discounts on parts/labor. I've owned nine BMWs since 1983(I currently have three in the garage)- and in my experience BMW ownership won't bankrupt you if you do your homework.

• slammieslammie Posts: 38
    Any idea what the approximate auction price might have been for a 2009 535i Sports Wagon with 14.9K for miles? Car has manual transmission and is essentially loaded. It stickered @ $68.5k. Car was driven by CA dealership person for a little less than a year, then auctioned off @ Pacific SW auction. Also, car has had 2 HPFP replacements already: 10-09, 12-09. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    It's not particularly likely that someone would have an auction price for you - that's not info that's available to the general public. Are you thinking of buying it? If so, there are better ways to determine a good price, and we can help you with that.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thinking of purchasing this vehicle offered at 49934 include value pac, premium pac, navigation-space gray, natural brown leather brand new: any thoughts or things to be wary of? My wife drives about 9000 a year, so not a lot of miles-how about turbo life expectancy? Thanks,
  • I am a previous female owner of (2) 32 series BMW's the last purchase was a 2005 330I well my son is in college & his car broke down that is my old 1997 328I so I will be giving him mine. My freind recently bought a 2005 528i for 24,000 drive out with only 34,000 miles. Are there any deals out there like this there were no carfax issues either.

Thanks