Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,023
    The car looks clean and well taken care of, but at 200,000 I would think something has to be waiting to happen or I may be wrong?

If the car checks out fine AND you have average or better DIY mechanic skills and tools then I would say go for it. If you will have to pay for all maintenance and repairs it could be very expensive to own. DO NOT even THINK about buying the car without having it inspected by a tech who knows BMWs. It might be a decent enough deal, but you need to have all the data in front of you before you can make an informed decision.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• rl328rl328 Posts: 3
    Any thoughts? Thanks.
    I ALWAYS prefer the smaller and lighter car(with RWD). You may not. You really can't go wrong with either car, so take each one on an extended test drive and pick the one YOU like.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• gb2008gb2008 Posts: 5
    Hi , I have a couple question that I would like your help with.

I have neevr driven a Manualdo you thinkthis would be a issue?

Also I have heard that the drive mode on the SMG is not that good is that true?

While I am driving in the Stick mode do I have to change the stick myself or does the car do it automatically?
    Would appricate your help
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    The SMG transmission is not available on any US-spec 5-Series cars other than the M5.
    You are wrong this is a 2005 530is I saw it for my self the two peddles mounted on the steering wheel comes with sport package as well
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Paddles are no indication of SMG. There are plenty of car makers that use paddles for gear changes on cars equipped with a conventional torque converter style automatic transmission (BMW and Lexus included). Like it or not, there are no 530i models sold here in the U.S. that have an SMG transmission.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ok I guess so you are telling me that both dealers are lying and the SMG on the gear stick it self is wrong and why does it have R, N , (--down) (up+) and then the D off to the right . but go check http://www.kingsautoshow.com/vehicle.asp?v=407930#1 just maybe I am wrong
  • Hello all, I want to get your opinion on a deal I am getting ready to do on a CPO BMW. Here are the details:

40k miles
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Navigation
    Bluetooth

We are at $27.5 in the negotiations. I think the dealer can do more but they insist they can't. Do you think this is a good deal?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I stand corrected.
    Ok I think you are getting a good deal I am buying mines from a used car dealer for about $2k less than yours but you are getting a CPO from a BMW dealer.. Take the deal
    I stand corrected

Don't feel too bad; I just drove a 2005 545i with SMG and it sucked every bit as hard as the SMG I had in my 645i press loaner.

Ok roadburner you should be able to help me out can you tell me how is the auto mode? and do I have to shift up and down when in Manual mode?
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Odd... the VIN plate indicates 530iS and the trunk badge indicates 545i. Have seen the Sport Auto with paddle shifters, etc. in the US, never a SMG on the 530. SMG not available in 2008! Seems fishy to me to show 2 model designations on the same car...
    Ok roadburner you should be able to help me out can you tell me how is the auto mode? and do I have to shift up and down when in Manual mode?

Auto mode is nowhere near as smooth as a DSG or a true automatic. The shifts are slow and you feel a slight lurch as the transmission upshifts(downshifts are OK). As for manual mode, the SMG will override your shift inputs if they would cause the engine to over-rev. You really need to drive one to see if you could live with/tolerate its unique characteristics. Me, I could probably endure the SMG fitted to the ///M cars if I had to, but the SMG fitted to the garden variety cars would be a deal-breaker for me.

• bimmerlustbimmerlust Posts: 2
    My husband & I plan to buy a used '08 5 series next year. We've test driven both 535 and 550. We both LOVE the 550, but need some justification for paying so much more when the 535 is such a great car. For long-term resale value my thought was that there will be fewer 550's on the road 10 years from now and as such it would appeal more to the hobbyist buyer who likes older BMW's. Also, the 550 Sport comes equipped with the M faschia and awesome wheels which I think would make it more appealing to a potential buyer when it's an older car. Am I right? So which car would hold a higher % of its original value, the 535 or the 550? BTW, we do plan to purchase a vehicle that is equipped with the sport package.
  • Sounds ok Im trying to get into a 05 525i for 26.5k
  • Just a quick update for those interested in purchasing a similar car in the near future:

After some negotiating, I closed my deal for $26.5k. I kept stalling and waited until the last day of the month in order to get the best possible price. Good luck with your purchase!
  • bimmerlustbimmerlust Posts: 2
    Do you think waiting until the last day of the month had an impact on the price you were able to obtain?
  • jahayjahay Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 1994 530i and have been told it is a "4 wheel drive". I thought the all wheel drives were "xi" or does that come later? It has a lot of miles on it, 222,000 but the price seems right and I know these vehicles have long life...I live in Northern Michigan and am concerned about heavy snow and icy roads with this vehicle...thus the 4 wheel drive. Help and thank you!