Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• ptchowptchow Posts: 14
    is $29,200 out the door or before fees and taxes? thanks for the information. it is very helpful to see what others are paying for a similar car. Thank you for your advice.
  • chintchint Posts: 30
    Yes the used car market is going strong , read article below

http://www.newsweek.com/id/185461?GT1=43002

I believe you can get the price down by a maximum of 2000.

I purchased a 07 530 with 16 k miles 2 months ago for around 30K

The car has Prem Pkg , Steptronic , and satelite radio

I recently talked to my salesman and he said the prices have gone up since I purchased and the CPO cars have been flying off the lots
  • Hi, yes the 29,200 was before tax and lic. but the two pay. by BMW took the net down to 27,400 before tax and lic.. That was a temp. deal and made it really attractive (wish they would have kept that one!) There are a lot out there right now as they come off leases...good luck, I am sure you will find the right one!!
  • chintchint Posts: 30
    Is ur payment $900 a month ??
  • dwmorodwmoro Posts: 1
    I have a 525i 2003, what non-snow tires are recommended as best for performance driving?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,621
    The Dunop Direzza Star Spec offers the best performance at a reasonable price- and it's also suitable for track days.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bruinleebruinlee Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase '07 530i with 25k miles on it. The car has a prem pkg with Nav, but no sports pkg. My question to the forum is how important is a sports pkg to you guys? Also, the car is CPO and I think I could negotiate the price down to 31k from 31.8k advertised price. If it is CPO, how long it is covered under warranty. I am bit confused by it being a first time BMW buyer.

Thanks, :shades:

Bruinlee
  • kostiakostia Posts: 3
    I am thinking you can do better than 31K, but depends on a lot of other factors.
    CPO is up to 100K miles or 6 years from the date it went into service whichever is first.
  • arache97arache97 Posts: 20
    Hello guys/gals, looking at a the above CPO vehicle. Selling price is $28,495 with 40k miles. Am thinking of making an $25,000 offer. What do you guys think?
  • nibsnibs Posts: 65
    I have the comfort seats in my 06 530xit. Totally awesome seat. They adjust 20 different ways so I'm sure you will be comfy int them.
  • I am considering a 2006 530xi CPO with 11K miles, navigation, prem pkg, prem sound, cold weather, fold down rear, sat. radio, auto trans. Dealer is asking $38,600. Even with low mileage, this seems very high (KBB quotes $34K). Is it appropriate to pay such a premium for CPO, even when the maintenance warranty would expire in a year? Thanks in advance for any guidance/help!
    Go to BMW NA's web site and perform a search for CPO E60s. That should give you a ballpark number.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• barnjonbarnjon Posts: 1
    Any help would be great... What do I look for?.. Can I trust the CPO program... Really want a manual trans... any problems with 40k/50k vehicles...Anything...Thanks..... :)
    Good dealers run good CPO programs. My dealer(Swope BMW, Louisville, KY) does a great job. As I noted above, go to BMW USA and perform a CPO search. The cars themselves have proven to be very reliable and a 40K-50K car shouldn't need more than brakes-if that-and scheduled maintenance for a long time to come.

• mrfinaglemrfinagle Posts: 20
    Hey just a follow up to those considering a used bimmer like the 2002 530i Sport I got with 70ish k miles last year. I bought it with new snow tires on the car. It drove great. When I switched to the summer wheels, I noticed a shimmy immediately at 40 mph and eventually, uneven (camber) wear on the rear tires after a few thousand miles. I needed a new suspension and my mechanic recommended new rims because they didn't spin true. I kept the rims but the suspension was $3000. You WILL need this more or less around 50-100k mi depending on your location/ roads, so if it hasn't had that, factor the cost in. :( Also, the overfill coolant tank is plastic and WILL crack, so factor 150 or so for that. The power steering tends to weep, in my case just a new cap/etc for 100. If it hasn't been replaced already, the battery is 100+. If you DIY, then keep a jumper battery connected to +/- before disconnecting the dead battery (if not, your security will think you're trying to steal the car and lock you out of starting it). :sick: I need to top off about 1 quart oil every 3000. With automatic, the car gets between 20 and 23 mph local and highway if you don't drive like you're on the track at Indy. Net net, it is an investment. I compare my out-of-pocket to a friend who bought a new Hyundai for 16k. If you want low maintenance, high gas mileage, and don't care about effortless acceleration up to 100+ or all that G force cornering on ramps, then that's a better buy I guess. Me, I just bought racing tires for a little track fun. :shades: Good luck.
    A new suspension? What parts were replaced? My wife had a 528iA and over 130K miles it only needed two front struts and two tie rod ends.

• gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys is there any way to do a more refined "search" on the BMW USA website for a model search? For example, I'd like to search for vehicles only with Sports pkg, or only 2007, refine the search like that, I cannot find anyway to do that. I have to sort through hundreds of vehicles which are totally not to my liking. Any suggestions?
  • mrfinaglemrfinagle Posts: 20
    hi roadrunner! well pretty much everything. Front and rear struts (Bilstein), control arms/bushings, etc. This car was preowned in NYC and you know the roads there. The mechanic is well respected on bimmer forums and I saw the worn parts myself on the lift.

If anybody has <20 lb 17x8+ e39 wheels in good shape for my new tires let me know.
    Guys,
    Dealer told me that a 530XI with Sports pkg is only 'cosmetic' and has no effect on performance. I like the Sports pkg because of the shadowline trim and steering wheel distinctive, and the special rims. But the XI doesn't carry the special rims, it has the regular 5 series rims. I almost never see a plain 530i with Sports, it seems all the vehicles have XI now. I hate to miss out on a good deal for a car, vehicle only has 23, 300miles on it, pristine condition. I need advice.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    What your dealer told you is correct, the "xi" models all have the same suspension regardless of whether they were ordered with the "Sport Package" or not.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Guys,
    I need some advice. I found on the BMWUSA website, an ideal car. it's a 2007 CPO 530i, Alpine/Black, with Premium, Cold, SPORTS, prem. sound, and NAV. Car has 24K miles on it, it's off lease, one owner, clean Carfax, and dealer wants $36,999 for it. I called and got so excited, it's exactly the car I'm looking for, I walked away from one in January because of the stock market, but I'm reluctant to pass on this one. I called the dealer, and right away put a $500 deposit on it to hold it. The salesman, very nice guy, said they "owned the car at $36,000" and maybe there's few hundred in there, and then asked me what I thought I wanted for mine. I have a 328i, 1996 with 109K miles on it, with some issues (moon roof doesn't work, some other minor stuff that I had priced at the BMW dealer I dont' want to bother fixing yet). He's willing to drive the car to me (dealer is 60 miles from my house), then he called me back and said that he would take mine back with him, and the dealership gave him authorization to appraise mine on the spot.

I'm thinking that the price is a little high for that vehicle, and I don't want to move so fast. Should I drive out there, take the day off, and see what happens. I mean I haven't even driven the car, let alone seen it, except for pictures on the dealer website. The car is evverything I"m looking for but I"m more comfortable at $34,000 not the $36,999. Plus they're going to add dealer fees ($500, right). I"ve seen other similar vehicles with the XI that supposedly is supposed to be a higher priced model, in the same price range if not a little less. I just think that's high for that vehicle, given it has NAV.

What do you guys think? I'm going to call him on Tuesday morning and say, not so fast. Let's talk about price, or walk away. Anybody have any feelings about it.
    Well guys, after all these months of gut wrenching emotion, I finally made a nice deal today at the BMW dealer in Greenwich CT. Remember I had seen a beautiful Alpine White 2007 530i with Sports pkg, which is just what I was looking for, with low miles.

My sales girl, who's been working with me since November, was able to work with the other dealer because they are all owned by the same BMW parent company apparently. So one of the Greenwich manager's who lives in NJ, is going to pick up the car next week, and drive it over to Greenwich.

Meanwhile, the asking price was $36,999 (premium, cold, SPORTS, NAV, prem sound, comfort access, etc) 24K miles, Warranty expiration June 26, 2012. I got the car for $36,200. My heart was in my mouth over my trade in (1996 328i, 109K miles)
    and somehow, they had the impression I wanted $2500 for it. Well the manager reviewed the car while I was talking to the saleswoman. He came in, and started with "well, I know you wanted $2500 for it (I never said that, I actually thought they'd offer me about $1200), but it has a few issues, and I could do $1500, maybe $2000 since you really want the car." I accepted the $2000 right on the spot, and that ended the negotiation part of it. I'm satisfied with it. Look the car has low treads in the rear set, sunroof inoperational, and ABS light comes on which the Darien dealer told me is a wheel sensor ($275).

So I'm giving them a large down payment, and financing only about 30% of it at 3.9%, she said maybe they'd do a little better. we'll see. The car is a cream puff, Alpine White, with black leather, and I am so excited I fnally found a car. I know I paid maybe a little more, but you know something, I keep my vehicles a long time, so that extra money will be amortized over the life of the vehicle.

Also - I bought the extended service warranty for $1695, which extended the service warranty until the end of the main warranty, which is June 2012. I felt it was worth the $800 per year extra for that. Peace of mind. Otherwise the 4 year warranty was running out in June 2010. I want to make sure my 30K mile servicing is FREE. Now it will be. I thought this was well worth it, I know they probably took me, but since the BMW dealer sold it to me, I have no doubt about it. It went onto the amount to financce, and yes, I realize it's a gimmick, but still it's there if I need it.

Well what do you think guys!!!
    Sounds good. Never obsess over a few bucks that you may have left on the table- just enjoy the car!!! :)

• kevin530kevin530 Posts: 25
    Congrats, Gardis. Seems like you found just what you wanted. I agree with Roadburner that you shouldn't fret about a few extra bucks.
    It does seem, however, that you got emotional about the car and the purchase, but don't we all at some point!!
    Like to see it sometime.
    Enjoy.
  • sondu51sondu51 Posts: 6
    Dealer is offering 2008 528xi with pre, cold pkg, xenon lights and 12000 miles for 38k.
    Is it a good deal?
    Hello Guys
    Picked up my CPO 2007 530i on Thursday at the dealer. The car is impeccable and I'm ecstatic with it. When I was doing all the paperwork I was signing the finance papers (I only financed about 25% of it @3.9% from BMW) the guy tried to upsell me on those options for a higher monthly payment, and I turned them all down FLAT. He looked disappointed and said, may I ask why, and I ignored him. Gimmick.

I can't believe how this car handles. Smooth and powerful. I'm thinking why would they need an even bigger engine on the 535 model now. With what I have, it feels like taking off in a 747 when I ease onto the highway!!

Have a great weekend,

Gardis - CT
  • mars415mars415 Posts: 2
    i live in the SF bay area and found this Certified 2007 530i Sedan with Premium Package, Sport Package, Automatic Transmission, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Park Distance Control, Premium Sound, Navigation System, Leather Interior and Metallic Paint. This car has <25K miles on it.

Dealer is asking for $38.9K, which I think is excessive.
    What would be the fair price for this car..
    I am thinking about offering 33K.

I would appreciate your suggestions and if you have recently purchased a used 5 series in the bay area, I would like to hear about your buying experience and suggestions for a good CPO dealer in the area.

Thanks for your help.

mars
    Use the CPO model search on the BMW USA web site. That should give you a general idea of regional asking prices.

Mars
    The car you just described is the exact vehicle I purchased, right down to the mileage EXCEPT: I do not have park distance control and the vehicle is Alpine White.

They were asking $36,999 for it, and I ultimately settled for $36,200. This is in Greenwich, CT. I looked at 5 series XI models, and they were in that same price range, so I even thought this was a little high, but the vehicle was impeccable, so I went for it.

Good luck, let me know how you make out.
    Gardis
  • LASpursLASpurs Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could ask you experienced heads a few questions regarding this car.

I am looking at buying a pre owned 2006 BMW 550i, it has 48K miles on the clock and from the outside (and under the hood) appears to be in stunning condition. It is fully loaded with the Navigation, winter package, HUD, Sports package, leather seats, bluetooth, seemingly the lot.

The dealer is looking for approximately $31,500 for it. Does that seem a good deal? KBB has it $3,000 more than that I think.

With it being just under 50,000 I imagine the warranty and inclusive service is about to expire. How expensive are the servicing costs usually and what are the intervals? Is there anything in particular to look out for in a BMW of this age/miles?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!!