Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

keith1947keith1947 Posts: 3
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. When tryed to put on high beams headlights would go out, after a couple of attempts they would come back on. Replaced high beam switch on column and now the high beam indicator light on the dash stays on all of the time and the low beams appear to be very dim.

Comments

• have recently experienced the lights in my truck periodically dimming and then returning back to normal. This happens with or with out the head lights being on, while driving in traffic or waiting at a stop light, At times it seems like the engine revs up a little but not all the time. I have performed a number of searches on the web trying to find additional informaiton on this. I have been told by the dealer service department that this is normal, but others who own Dodge 2500's do not seem to have this problem, does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Cummins diesel or gas rig?
  • radjimradjim Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge, diesel, 2500 quad cab 2wd. I am also having problems with the cab lights dimming and returning to normal with circumstances equivalent. Thank You in advance for any advice or direction.
  • kcorsikcorsi Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 2500 quad cab 4x4 ctd long bed and my lights also dim then return to normal seem to be speratic there is no ryme or reason and the dealer also said it was normal .is the dealer blowing smoke ?
  • kcorsikcorsi Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 2500 CTD quad cab long bed 4x4
    I get a violent bouncing from side to side once in a while usualy on the freeway at higher speeds the only way to stop the bouncing is to pull over and stop. It only doses this from time to time and there is no set patern .the stering wheel dont shake or pull the truck continues straight but whole truck bounces very hard from side to side almost as if wheels are coming off the ground, The dealer can not find any thing wrong. any suggestions on a way to stop this bouncing?
  • For some strange reason, my headlights (low beams) speradically come on for no reason while the truck is turned off. The weired thing is that if you disconnect all of the fuses, the lights still stay on. The only way to turn them off is by disconnecting the battery. Can anyone give me some direction on where to start investigating this issue?
  • wouldyouwouldyou Posts: 1
    just bought new truck had it a mth 4200 miles wouldnt start completely dead checked batterys at12.6 truck running batteries at 12.9 dont know if alternator or power module chip problem . any feed back would be great
  • dodge4me2dodge4me2 Posts: 1
    well tonight i got home and my neibor said that my turnsignal didnt work or my brake lights. well they were right. they wernt working. so i checked my fuse and it was good. well i have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 v8 with a 5.2 and i am good at mechanical stuff but this electrical stuff is just killing me. please give me some advice on things i should try. please. my headlamps still work and everythuing thanks daniel
  • 4x4grl4x4grl Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I drive a 1998 1500 ram / 318. After reciently doing some 4x4ing, I have developed random flashing low beam headlights. ( we did check the obvious.....battery cable connections, headlight connections ) with no success. I have aslo had a problem with my reverse lights from day 1.....they are also random, staying on in every gear ( 5 speed ) at times, but will go out if I put the cluth in an inch or so. Any help out there for me ??? Thanks, have a good one !!! Christine @
    cdn.4x4grl@yahoo.ca
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Hi Christine, and welcome to Edmunds!

In my pre-delivery inspection of my 96 3500, I noticed the brake lights stayed on... not good for a brand new truck just off the carrier. Dealer service department took care of it before delivery. Usually it's a fuse/relay issue, but in your case, I'd say there are two additional things to look at...

- for the headlights, you likely got something wet while off-roading. You probably want to check the power module and see if there's water in it - and get it dried.

- for your reverse lights, you likely have a wriring issue between the trans and the light connection. There's a solenoid that is triggered when the shifter is properly engaged in reverse that activates the reverse lights - that would be my first suggestion.

And as mentioned in the post box, please, do not include your email address in your posts. We can't protect you from spammers or other malicious use that way. just make your email "public" in your profile (use the Prefertences" link in the left margin), and only logged i members will have access to it.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• 4x4grl4x4grl Posts: 2
    Hi,

Thanks alot for the information! I will pass the information on to my friendly neighborhood mechanic!
    As for my e-mail address (oops) I will see about removing that information.

Thanks again, Christina
  • beans5beans5 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I noticed that I have NO brake lights. I keep blowing the fuse and can't figure out why. I changed the stop light switch under the dash, checked all the light housings and still keep blowing the fuse, anybody have any suggestions, I could use the help...Thanks Bill
  • dh01dh01 Posts: 1
    i had the same issue with my ford pickup
    apparently there is something frozen in suspension I took it to a leafspring shop for 800.00 they fixed it my truck the steering shook also
  • I have the same problem with my truck. Occasionaly my parking lights come on or my fog lights come on automatically. They are turned off inside the truck, but I don't know what is causing the problem. I have only owned the truck for about a month, but as far as I know, it has not been offroading.

Did you find out what was happening with your truck?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Ram, 4x4, Tow Package, the works, but I can't get the tow lights to work. If anyone knows which fuse this is or just any tips then please respond. P.S.- I have connected everything correctly and the trailer lights do work on another vehicle. Thank You
  • My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500st engine light stays on is there any way to reset it
  • problem with dash guages not working. odometer blinks three times than says no bus. tapped on dash cover and blew fuse for dash lights. guages has come back on one time but went off again. has been happening for about two weeks. any help?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    NO BUS means the dash has lost communication with the computers. Could just be a connection, could be more serious (fried wires).

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator