Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Not to mention, there are two heavy-duty batteries under the hood... the draw by the computers and other electricals wouldn't even tax one of them.
  • releerelee Posts: 2
    I just returned from My Dodge Dealer (11/22/06), I found on the internet there was a fix (flash) for my 2006 Ram 3500 to change the charging system. I told my Dealer and they checked and sure enough there was. Quote from work order: " Customer states when cold volt meter goes low (11.8 volts-14.1 volts) - headlamps dim...performed TSB 18-003-06 Reva. erased and reprogrammed module AJB 1275".
    Sure enough 30 to 40 seconds after starting when cold is normal...but 2 minutes is not. Especially when I live in Southeast Texas.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Hello, my turn signals just stoped working on my truck and the wierd thing is the hazard flashers still work. I'm hoping someone can tell me where the turn sign. relay is or if there is a fuse involved on that circuit. Everything else seems to be working ok. Please help Kcram or anyone Thanks carnut17
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    It's not a relay per se... the flasher is a plug-in unit that is easily replaceable... swaps in and out just like a fuse. Your owners manual should show the location (most vehicles have the flasher on the fuse panel somewhere).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Thank you kcram, the flasher was in the fuse panel on the far left side of the dash next to the door jam. It turned out to be a faulty relay flasher. The haz. flasher and the turn sig. flasher relay are identical so i just switched them and found the problem.
  • you need both flasher for safety. make sure to by a new flasher. you never know when you will need haz. lights! :surprise:
  • Thats true mopoarblue2 considering i have 296,000 miles on my Cummins, still runs like a watch.
  • brunodbrunod Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 pickup that I can't keep the radio working in. The first time it stopped working, I replaced several fuses and it started working again.... for a few days. It would work one day on the way to work, but would be off again on the way home. Then it just stopped working at all. I found another blown fuse (the one for dome light) and replaced it, thus the radio worked again. Few days later... same thing. I checked the fuses again and none were bad. What could be the problem??

Thank's in advance for your help!
  • Have a 99 1500 When I turn on the windshield wipers to the intermediate speed the wipers go straight to the middle of the stoke and stop there and act as if there are all the way down, which is right at eye sight. Some one told me there is a pulse board that controls that. Any help would be great.
  • I have a 97 dodge Ram. My truck has done the same thing. No brake lights, no turn signals. I DO have tail lights??? I have replaced all the breakers, all the bulbs, flasher relay. Nothing. I ran a scematics through chilton web site and I found where both items are fed by "a black" ground wire. According to thier trouble shooting guide, it said either to check the relays or the ground wires. Problem is, according to the schematics the black wire originates,???? it just starts. I don't know if its under the dash or in outer space. What did you do to fix your problems???
  • i am looking into buying a 2000 ram, and i was wondering if anyone knew of a general electrical problem that may exist in this year truck.
    thanks
    ~tom
  • I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. The low beams work fine. The high beam work OK as long as I hold the lever on the dimmer switch close to the steering wheel. As soon as I let go of the lever the high beams go out. If I click the level again the low beams come back on. Do I need to replace the dimmer switch or is something else wrong? Thanks.

David
  • I have a o6 Ram 2500 that I use to plow. When lifting the plow the alternator gauge drops causing the "check gauge" light to come on. Dealer told ME to buy a gel battery ($180). Anyone else have this problem?
  • 1999 Dodge 1/2 ton reg. cab, short box, gas 5.9L, 112,000 miles.
    Brake, Park, and Hazard Lights work. No turn signals.
    Fuse block under hood looked OK.
    Fuse block by Drivers Door looked OK.
    Original Bosch flasher unit ( 0-332-209-150) under dash by steering column replaced with car Quest Flasher unit (FSH 7127)
    Turn Signals still not working. What is the minimum voltage these flasher units will operate at ? Or do I have, two bad flasher units now ? Thanks - jander
  • I recently purchased an 05 Ram 1500 4x4. Shortly after I bought the vehicle, I went to start it and the battery was dead. I just figured I left the cargo light on and didn't think much more about it until it happened again 3 days ago. My truck does not have pwr locks or windows nor does it have the daytime running lights. I looked out my window a couple of days ago and noticed that the headlights and tail lights were on. I went out to turn them off and even though the lights were on, the light switch was in the off position. Tonight, I have been out 4 times because the headlights were on. When I open the door, the headlights will shut off . The only thing that I can think of between this time and last time is the use of the 4 wheel drive before both of these instancrs but I have no idea how that could cause the headlights to come on without a switch or anything. The truck does not currently have an alarm system installed. Any ideas on how the headlights could be turning on without any kind of switch
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Well, the interior lights come on when a door is opened. Its possible that you have a very sensitive or defective Door Open switch on one of the doors.

A component that could cause this is a defective Central Timer Module.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ok, the gist of it is my electrical system.Sometimes no problem, sometimes major problem. This just started. While driving my elec. system will shut down. The lights,stereo,horn(which doesn't make sense since it's a push button mounted to the dash and wired directly to the battery), all lose power. While the truck is parked and I try to start it the engine turns over but the fuel won't ignite. And to top it off, the problem doesn't happen all the time. Any clues before I hafta spend a fortune ??
    Can you please provide model (4x2, 4x4, etc.) , engine, transmission, and vehicle mileage?

Thanks,
    Dusty
  • 4x4,318, not sure about the tranny, 148,000 miles.
    I'd start with the Auto Shut Down Relay. They've been known to cause this problem.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ramhead1ramhead1 Posts: 15
    Hi... I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2 liter. My High beam indicator is staying on at all times...After I unplugged the daytime running light module years ago, the high beam indicator never came on...I have kept the connector dry by wrapping in plastic, and it is still dry...Also sometimes my speedometer does not work and the check engine light comes on...This all just started today. Has anyone else had this problem? And where would I start to look? Any info would be appreciated...Thanks
    The speedometer not working is typical of a failed rear differential speed sensor on RAMs.

I haven't a theory about the high beam indicator. May I assume that the high beams are NOT on?

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the response... No, the high beams are not on...The indicator stays on even with lights off... As I said in previous post, when you disconnect the daytime running light module, the high beam indicator does not come on at all, though the high beams work...It seems like all these things are related as they all started at the same time... I'm almost thinking the main computer is starting to go... Do you know how I can check engine codes without buying one of those diagnostic things....Thanks
  • lectriklectrik Posts: 4
    Service Engine and ABS lites are on .

I recently replaced the (VSS) speed sensor at the trans housing rear, it had no ohm reading & now puts out a voltage 2-4 volts depending upon the engine RPM.

*** THIS SENSOR HAS 2 WIRES ***
    and no voltage is present at the connector going to it. ***

There's another wiring harness with 3 wires half way down the trans towards the engine , ... I think this is for the neutral \ park switch ???
    and doesn't apply.

From reading posts the rear end has a sensor that needs to be checked .
    What will that sensor be tested for ?(ie: volt / ohm ) ??

I've located the PCM ,.. on the fire wall .. it has 3 connectors one being white , .. which one is for the trans & rear end cable to test for an open in the wiring ???
    After that the PCM is beyonnd me.

Also , there's no fuse for Daytime Running Lights , but was this standard for my truck and something to be concerned about ?
    TIA.
  • Recently my 2002 ram with the 4.7L engine and 45RFE transmission started giving me some very wierd symptoms. Hopefully someone will have an idea. Everytime I am at a complete stop, I put my foot on the brake and my speedometer jumps around. As long as I am moving the speedomoter works fine, but if i am in stop and go traffic, my brake warning light and ABS light comes on. I tried to have the codes checked, but even when the light is on, no codes. Any ideas?
    I just replaced the rear differential speed sensor in my 98 Ram 1500 4WD. The speedometer still does not work. I understand there is another speed sensor in the transmission. One is an emitter and one is a receiver.I don't know if its worth replacing this one also, or just take it to someone who can check codes and fix the thing. Is the speedometer all electronically controlled, or is there still a speedometer cable involved? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks