Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• The overdrive light and switch on the dash...what is it telling me? Is it in O/D when the light is OFF? I can't tell the difference, at high speed of course.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Is it in O/D when the light is OFF?

That is correct :)

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Thanks! :) I thought so but wanted to be sure before I investigated further whether or not the O/D was working.
  • I am currently having the same problem with my 98 Ram 1500. Have you solved your problem yet? I'm tempted to pull the instrument cluster and grease the terminal contacts as suggested in a previous post on the same problem.
  • dman6dman6 Posts: 1
    My husband just went thru weeks of the same problem. His truck just wouldn't start. So he replaced the time & control mod. and that didn't work. Then when he tried starting it, it would blink 3 times and say "no bus". So he replaced the crank sensor, still didn't work. He tried numorous other things (like checking conections & fueses) and nothing worked. Tried calling a local dealer to confirm that the time and control mod. DIDN'T have to be programed for he truck.....3 times they said NO. We finally had it towed in to be put on a computer. GUESS WHAT!!! That mod. DOES have to be programed....IF.....you have an anti-theft system. Hope this helps someone!!
  • 06trx406trx4 Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 TRX4 with the 5.9L CTD. About 3 weeks ago I started the truck in the morning like always and I noticed that the lights dimmed and then got bright again and then dimmed and so on and so forth for about 3 minutes, and as I watch my volts meter it is cycling in sequence with the lights. It has been getting progressively worse to the point that if it sits for more than 3 hours it will cycle. I have also noticed that it affects the RPM if higher than 1000RPM. If anyone has an idea of what is going on please let me know.
    Completely normal and described in your owner's manual. Now that it's cold, the grid heater (which warms the intake air before it reaches the cylinder) will cycle for three minutes after the engine is started to allow better combustion and less smoke. You'll experience this all winter, nothing to worry about.

kcram - Pickups Host

• I recently purchased a 2001 4x4 Quad from a private party and within 24 hours check engine lite came on. Took to dealer and it turned out that heads had multiple cracks. (Came to find out through a little research that this is a common issue on 5.9L after 100,000 mi. Bad design on valve wall thickness, fixed in newer heads). Anyways on way to get this fixed a few weeks later I started truck and all dash went dead and "No Buss" came up. First response from Dodge Dlr. was that it was either a minor short in Power Control Module(PCM) or it was failed all together. Heading to Mech.for head replacement I stopped at carwash to wash off mud in engine compartment, when I got back in truck all dash back to normal, YEA!, apparently just a short and saved $800.00 While at independant mechanic to get new heads I noticed small knock in low end as well. Mech. heard as well and decided to replace engine with factory remanufactured long block. Upon completion new engine would not fire. Indie Mechanic had to send to Dodge Dlr so a new "AirBag Module" could be installed and computer re-programmed. $460.00 for module and $300.00 for labor, Hmm there goes the aforementioned $800 bucks. Hope this helps someone out there. Truck runs great now. Scott
  • releerelee Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on my 2006 3500 with 6400 miles. I find it hard to believe this is normal with sensitive computers and electrical components. Would this not be a voltage spike with heater making headlights go dim and back to normal brightness? Please e-mail me...strength in numbers!
  • My 06 3500 CTD Mega does it too. Normal, normal, normal...and in the owner's manual. Just enjoy!
    Not to mention, there are two heavy-duty batteries under the hood... the draw by the computers and other electricals wouldn't even tax one of them.

• releerelee Posts: 2
    I just returned from My Dodge Dealer (11/22/06), I found on the internet there was a fix (flash) for my 2006 Ram 3500 to change the charging system. I told my Dealer and they checked and sure enough there was. Quote from work order: " Customer states when cold volt meter goes low (11.8 volts-14.1 volts) - headlamps dim...performed TSB 18-003-06 Reva. erased and reprogrammed module AJB 1275".
    Sure enough 30 to 40 seconds after starting when cold is normal...but 2 minutes is not. Especially when I live in Southeast Texas.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Hello, my turn signals just stoped working on my truck and the wierd thing is the hazard flashers still work. I'm hoping someone can tell me where the turn sign. relay is or if there is a fuse involved on that circuit. Everything else seems to be working ok. Please help Kcram or anyone Thanks carnut17
    It's not a relay per se... the flasher is a plug-in unit that is easily replaceable... swaps in and out just like a fuse. Your owners manual should show the location (most vehicles have the flasher on the fuse panel somewhere).

kcram - Pickups Host

• Thank you kcram, the flasher was in the fuse panel on the far left side of the dash next to the door jam. It turned out to be a faulty relay flasher. The haz. flasher and the turn sig. flasher relay are identical so i just switched them and found the problem.
  • you need both flasher for safety. make sure to by a new flasher. you never know when you will need haz. lights! :surprise:
  • Thats true mopoarblue2 considering i have 296,000 miles on my Cummins, still runs like a watch.
  • brunodbrunod Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 pickup that I can't keep the radio working in. The first time it stopped working, I replaced several fuses and it started working again.... for a few days. It would work one day on the way to work, but would be off again on the way home. Then it just stopped working at all. I found another blown fuse (the one for dome light) and replaced it, thus the radio worked again. Few days later... same thing. I checked the fuses again and none were bad. What could be the problem??

Thank's in advance for your help!
  • Have a 99 1500 When I turn on the windshield wipers to the intermediate speed the wipers go straight to the middle of the stoke and stop there and act as if there are all the way down, which is right at eye sight. Some one told me there is a pulse board that controls that. Any help would be great.
  • I have a 97 dodge Ram. My truck has done the same thing. No brake lights, no turn signals. I DO have tail lights??? I have replaced all the breakers, all the bulbs, flasher relay. Nothing. I ran a scematics through chilton web site and I found where both items are fed by "a black" ground wire. According to thier trouble shooting guide, it said either to check the relays or the ground wires. Problem is, according to the schematics the black wire originates,???? it just starts. I don't know if its under the dash or in outer space. What did you do to fix your problems???