Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• Options
    rlevvisrlevvis Member Posts: 1
    The set up may be totally different, but I had the same issue with my 99 Ram 3500 after having the hydrobooster replaced. The adjustment at the pedal from the hydrobooster was set incorrectly, thus the lights would intermittently stay on.
    In my case, this is serious because the brake lights activate my trailer brakes.
  • Options
    indmechindmech Member Posts: 1
    Hello my 06 mega cab interior lights only stay on for 10 seconds with the door open and no key in. also the cargo lamp only stays on for the 10 seconds to. any ideas????? indmech'''
  • Options
    culater1culater1 Member Posts: 1
    plugged electric controller into plug in my 06 3500. followed green wire from plug out fire wall to connecter under driver side wheel well.green wire is not hooked to otherside of plug.do I have to splice in and run wire to back of truck or is there a way to hook wire in plug. there is a little blue plastic plug where wire should come out
  • Options
    sluf1sluf1 Member Posts: 3
    Ted have the same issue on a 2001 Ram 2500, found if I pull the one when ignition is off fuse then it does not happen have had the truck to the dealer twice with no joy. My neighbor has the Caravan and it does it when he leaves the radio on even thought the car is shut off and keys removed. Mine takes about 2 to 3 days to go dead. Have you found anything new in your search.
  • Options
    If I do not start and run my truck every three to two days the battery will be drained down. But if I pull the On when ignition is off fuse it does not drain down. Looking for any suggestions. Have been to the dealer twice no joy. Can not find a large amp draw on the system when it is shut off.
  • Options
    tama1tama1 Member Posts: 2
    i have same problem, owners manual says lights go to "battery saver" mode after 10 minutes, not 10 seconds, i e-mailed truck salesman, he was clueless! i will stop by another dealer and hopefully get answer to resolve issue.
  • Options
    indyffindyff Member Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a 2003 1500 and only have one set of keys. I was able to get a second programmable key, but it does not work on my truck. the information on the back of the keys is identicle ie..parts numbers. Is it possible to program the second key myself, or do I need dealer help..
    Thanks
  • Options
    cruse69cruse69 Member Posts: 1
    Recently on my01 Ram offroad, the low beam headlights will cut off going down the road. I keep my fog lamps on while driving at night so if they (low beams) cut off I can see the road. When they cut off, I can flash between high and low beam a few times then the low beams will work.Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Cruse69
  • Options
    trw6trw6 Member Posts: 1
    my truck wouldn't start today. i put new batteries in it and then had to jump the starter. the headlights won't come on now. what's wrong with my truck.
  • Options
    sin7sin7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 1500 with the exact same problem. Have you been able to get it figured out. I went to the dealership and asked about , all they said was I would have to leave it for 2 days at service dept. then said "Gee I never have seen that before. Its obviously not your fuses cause all the lights would be out." A bunch of freakn geniuses. Totally stumped. sorry I didnt have any answers.
  • Options
    prestonmprestonm Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE AN 06 DODGE CUMMINS DIESEL. WITH OUT KEY IN THE IGNITION THE INTERIOR LIGHTS ONLY STAY ON FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS. I HAVE A CALL TO MY DEALER IN WAITING FOR A REPLY. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
  • Options
    tama1tama1 Member Posts: 2
    i have the answer! software upgrade is needed to be done at the dealer,( or so i am told). no charge. lites are fine now.
  • Options
    creaser113creaser113 Member Posts: 2
    My battery has been weakened and/or is dead in the mornings or over period of time of not driving it. I have the factory Infinity Sound System and since I've removed the fuse for the "radio amp" it has not weakened or gone dead, narrowing the problem down to the radio and/or the infinity sound system. Any suggestion of what might be causing this problem? Thanks!
  • Options
    rxpx40rxpx40 Member Posts: 10
    If you have a multimeter, it will make your troubleshooting much easier. Pulling that fuse is a great place to start. My wife has a 99 Meansumbitchi Eclipse that has gone through 3 passenger side outside door handles. (long story- cheap junk)
    Anyway- after the last door handle replacement her battery would not hold a charge over 24 hours. I had to connect my multimeter into the vehicle's electrical system to find out where the current draw was. When I set up properly, I found the car was drawing 350 milliamps with everything turned off. I started pulling fuses and watching the meter. In my case, when I pulled the fuse for the power door locks, the meter dropped to 75 ma. You should do the same test. If the radio is indeed drawing over 50ma, then something is wrong. Either the power amp is on all the time or the lights are wired hot.
    Good luck and keep us informed.

Chris
  • Options
    drsuessdrsuess Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone responded to you on this issue? Mine just starting doing this.
  • Options
    sin7sin7 Member Posts: 2
    Not really but I was able to get info thru different sights and what I did was took a flat head and bent the metal brackets that hold the bulbs in and after messing with it a lil it was fixed. So hope that helps.
  • Options
    Follow up on this problem, After two trips to the dealer and no luck I pulled all fuses except the ON when Ignition is off one and attached an amp meter inline on the battery to determine the amperage draw, it was reading .27 amps. Checked all wiring on the lights and any connection or wire runs I could fine to see if there was any change. After opening the Glove compartment the light was on but no additional draw of amps on the meter. I pushed in the switch that is suppose to meet with the door when it is closed and the amps dropped to .001 amps. I released the switch and it returned to the .27 amp draw. When I closed the door on the glove compartment it remained at .27 amps. The problem is that the Dodge designed only uses one screw to hold a small plate where this switch is mounted and it is easily moved where it no longer makes contact with the glove compartment door when it is closed. This allows the light to remain on which draws down the battery, My switch broken off when I tried to adjust it so I just disconnected the light solving the battery draw down. If you do not have an amp meter just pull the light bulb out and see if it still pulls down the battery, Hope this helps others,
  • Options
    wjb1wjb1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently while unlocking my Dodge using the electronic key the back rear door (driver side) doesn't unlock. Now, it can only be unlocked manually from within. All the other doors work just fine. Any ideas?

thanks for any help.

Bill
  • Options
    foggy_notionfoggy_notion Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    Had the truck 2 years no electrical problems.
    Suddenly both head lights went out at the same time.
    The high beams still worked so I aimed them down
    and used high beams. The next day those went out too.

Bought a new dash board dimmer switch, put it in but it
    didn't change anything, took it back out again, hoping to
    get my $34 back.

Now it has dawned on me, what if it was the switch and
    the bad switch burnt out both lights, and that is why the
    new switch didn't seem to change anything? Do I need
    to try new switch again with new lamps?

I looked at the fuse box, but the termanology is different,
    "exterior lamps" only had a 5 amp fuse so I figured that
    was for the outside yellow lights.

I saw no fuse maked "head lamps" of any kind.
    Should I replace the lamps and try the new switch again?
    Or am I missing someing on the fuse box, hopefully?

Thanks.
  • Options
    sojo41sojo41 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Foggy Notion, Mike here. I had the same experience with my '97.It turns out when my battery overcharged and melted down, it also melted the wiring harness for my headlamp switch on the dash.It took almost 300 dollars and a lot of frustration to get it right through the process of elimination.The new harness and dimmer switch cost about 80 bucks through the dealer.Other than this my dodge has over 200k and has been rather kind to me over the years......
  • Options
    foggy_notionfoggy_notion Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info,
    have a good year.
  • Options
    amandarae1980amandarae1980 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 dodge 1500. The motor runs fine, but a couple of things have been happening lately that have me concerned. The first thing I am going to do is clean my batery connections and possibly get a new battery. I hate to replace it due to the cost but I've had this battery for three to four years and it might be time. I'm also considering getting new connectors for the battery cables.

My first concern is what happened to me coming to work today. I was driving along and a red GEN light came on. I noticed that my battery gauge on the dash was much higher than it usually reads. Normally I would think that if a Gen light would come on then the gauge would show less voltage, but I don't know. Is this a sign that my alternator is going out?

Next problem. This happens rarely, but I need to get to the bottom of this so I won't be stranded one day. I put my key in the ignition, turn it and nothing happens. I hear a rapid clicking or just a click from under the hood. I turn off the ignition, try it again and it works. On one of the times I could not get the engine to turn over I disconnected the battery and cleaned the connections. Put them back on and all was well. This was probably about six months ago, and I've had this problem happen recently. So I'm wondering if it is my ignition switch. I've replaced this in the past around the same time I got the current battery that's in the truck.

Once or twice my starter would not shut off even when I turned the engine off and took the key out. One of the times it finally shut itself off, another time I had to get under the truck and tap the starter for it to get unstuck, so to speak. Yet this happened only a few times and I haven't had this problem in about six months to a year. I'm just now remembering this and thought it is worth mentioning.

So any help would be great. Is all I need just a new battery or is there more that should be done?
  • Options
    titanium29titanium29 Member Posts: 38
    Amanda. Get yourself a new battery! If you have 3 or 4 years, it's past due anyway, that is if you don't want to get stranded. It will more than likely solve all your problems. Be sure to clean and put protectant on the terminals of the new one, and have the ends of the cables that you connect to the battery checked for corrosion too. You may need to replace the ends of those cables that connect to the battery if the corrosion got real bad. The guys at Autozone or the like will be glad to help you too!.
  • Options
    steergazersteergazer Member Posts: 20
    I had an 02 2500 4x4 for two years which did this on start-up. Warm or cold didn't matter. All electrical (lights, fan motor) would go dim to bright, slow down speed up as the idle went up and down. Never had it checked out. didn't notice it while driving but even while idling at a light it did the same. Traded it this summer on an 06 3500 4x4 and it does the same thing on start up. Even now that I had the high idle activated at the dealer. Only difference is that this one doesn't continue to do so after you start driving.
  • Options
    dandeeguitardandeeguitar Member Posts: 1
    My odometer is not reading mileage. Althought the speedo works fine on the cluster. If I change out the cluster, need I worry about the mileage being the same? I was wondering if the mileage is stored in this odometer cluster or BCM? Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    scotgscotg Member Posts: 1
    i am looking for a way to bypass or turn the alarm off . i dont have the keyless entry anymore and the key is not working. every time i hook the battery up the alarm starts going off . i can shut the doors and hook it up and it is off but the minute that i open the door it goes off . i have even tried locking the doors and crawling through the window but when i put the key in the ignition it goes off again. does llanybody have any suggestions?
  • Options
    thomasvthomasv Member Posts: 3
    2000 dodge ram 1500.When I attempted to adjust outside mirror the radio went off,courtesy lights and underhood light not working.I checked the radio fuse,illumination light fuse.and small fuses under the hood.I called dodge dealer which said the problem should be a fuse under the hood.Has anyone had this problem.
  • Options
    dotlarsondotlarson Member Posts: 1
    You could get a new set of keys from the dealer for $70 each, you need two for the factory settings to let you add keys with chips. plus the dealer would cost ?100 ? bucks to reprogram your keys. If you have a programed key you will be able to turn off the alarm when the key gets close or in the ingnition. Or just get a remote start with door locks, and have it programed to your liking, it runs $350 and to $700 is the glorified unit. I love the remote start I put it on all my cars since 1995. David
  • Options
    josemjosem Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 when i turn off the lights the running lights still remain on. I have to get out open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal to get them to turn off. Then I have to re connect it. It is a pain especially when it is raining or when it is freezing.
  • Options
    eglossereglosser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ram 1500. My taillights are not working. Brake lights and back-up lights work fine. I have checked fuses and bulbs and everything appears to be fine.
  • Options
    wgzip22wgzip22 Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem. I jump out the relay to make the running lights come on. Let me know if you find the problem.
  • Options
    tommyprotommypro Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    I'm looking for help with my '02 quad cab, does anyone know how to return the wiper motor to home position. When you shut off the wipers they stop in the middle of the windshield. Its like they dont know were the home position is. When operating they wipe the winshield perfect.
  • Options
    shakeyjakeshakeyjake Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 96 dodge ram p/u,that is blowing the fuse for the tailights.I have a minute mount plow and I have been having some electrical issues with the plow. The last time I hooked up to the plow my headlights never shifted from the truck headlights to the plowlights,and all my running and tail lights went out,also including my dash lights.After unhookinh the plow I put a new fuse in for the tailights but it immediatly blew out when I turned on the lights. I have not found anything obvious.Is there any hope for me to ever see the lights again? :sick:
  • Options
    zybel2000zybel2000 Member Posts: 1
    How do I replace light bulbs on air controls and dash 2002 Dodge Ram 1500? It looks dimmed and I think it's a burned out light. I need to know how to take center pannel off.
  • Options
    greatamosgreatamos Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as blowinsmoke.. My drivers side rear door will not lock or unlock using power. Also, the dome light does not come on when that door is open. That has been going on for six months or so. New problem, last night on my way home from work the dome light started flashing on and off along with the door locks locking and un-locking on ther own. The door ajar light was also coming on. I have a 2003 Ram 1500. Does anyone have any ideas??
  • Options
    titanium29titanium29 Member Posts: 38
    Not that I am the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the first place I would look would be on the door that the door lock won't work on for a stuck or broken door switch. With what you describe with the flickering lights, it sounds like the switch in the jam of that particular door is broken, stuck, or perhaps (I have seen them) crooked in the mount. Good luck..JD.
  • Options
    greatamosgreatamos Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the idea. This may sound stupid but the problem is I can't find a door switch. Does anyone know where they are located on a 2003 Ram1500 Quad Cab? Are they built into the latch?
  • Options
    jake53jake53 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

My reverse lights don't work i have two brand new bulbs in them and i have power to them both 13 to 14 volts but they do not work! whats wrong with the dam things!
  • Options
    1caboguy1caboguy Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    1caboguy1caboguy Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems and or solutions for auto door lock problems in the later model Rams?
  • Options
    axhandle1axhandle1 Member Posts: 1
    My trk has died several times draining the battery. was in the shop for a week and they believe it maybe the relay switch in drivers seat draining the battery. Anyone have a clue?
  • Options
    mhart1mhart1 Member Posts: 1
    In Feb of 08, I found a good buy on one of the few remaining new 07 3500 Quad Cabs at a dealership in Columbus, Ga. I was to pick it up, but they were nice enough to deliver it to me. Four days after I took delivery, the truck is in the shop with apparant electrical issues. The second day I had it, I drove it to Montgomery Alabama - halfway into the trip, the engine coughs & surges while every light in the dash comes on. I also noticed oily residue had accumilated on the lower body panels and inside the rear fender wells. I found this to be a bit unusual since this is a new truck. I was barely able to nurse it back home. After finally making it back home, I tried to start it up the following morning ; I figured maybe it was just a fluke that caused it to "misbehave" ..... nothing ; the radio wouldn't even come on. As of today (6 days after the initial problem) the truck is still sitting at the Dodge dealership waiting to be repaired. I find this to be most frustrating and frankly has dampened my loyalty to the brand. And making the payments on a new"dead" truck further enhances the sting. :mad:
  • Options
    biggil1biggil1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 ram 1500 and my stoplights stay stuck "on" when I turn on the headlights.The stoplights work fine when the headlights are off. I've replaced the stoplight switch and a part of the harness and can't figure this out. Any help?
  • Options
    jason14xjason14x Member Posts: 1
    Ok guys looking for some ideas....I have 2002 Ram 1500 Quad cab. I have aproblem that all of a sudden started 2 weeks ago. My door locks apparently shorted out....I changed the fuse and they worked again . After about a half day they blew the fuse out again. I cahnged the fuse and now they do not work at all. They will not work with the keyless entry or with the interior door switches .

Since Ive owned the truck the rear drivers side passenger door lock never worked and even the dome light would not work but this was not a major issue( I think underlying cause)?? I need help with the door locks anyone ???

One other note when the system would short out the door locks if hit would make the radio sound go mute until I turned the radio on and off.This also happened when the auto door lock speed sensor clicked in as well??

Im at a loss and have looked for any obvious shorts in wires and need help before I give up and go to the dealer.

HELP GUYS ANY IDEAS !!!

Any
  • Options
    cbp014cbp014 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with power seats. The Driver Side power seat will move forward, but will not move backwards. After some troubleshooting, it appears to be the horizontial motor. Replaced the power seat assembly (very expensive), and the problem is still there. So, after more troubleshooting - disconnecting the horizontal seat motor - I get +13 volts in one direction and -13 volts in the other direction. When the new horizontal seat motor is plugged in, I get +13 volts in one direction and 0 volts in the other direction. I've went back to the switch - did the same thing with the motor plugged in and then removed - same result. I took the old horizontal seat motor off the old power seat assembly and plugged it into the passenger seat - it worked in both directions. The horizontal seat motor and wiring is not the problem. Any suggestions??
  • Options
    cbp014cbp014 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on driver side rear door lock. Did anyone respond with the location of the door switch.

I've replaced the power door lock and that does not solve the problem.
  • Options
    mfortunamfortuna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4X2. I recently discovered I have no tail lights. All other lights work. I am being told that it is the control module that sits next to the fuse box under the hood. Cost is $300 plus labour. Does anyone know anything about this.
  • Options
    dtuttle14903dtuttle14903 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 318, 2 wheel drive. I have been having issues with my low beams not working, but have all other lights. Fuses are good, new multifunction plug and switch, new head lamp switch. Someone told us to use a toggle switch as it does not appear that we have good ground, problem is I do not know which bulb is my low beams. They started to ground, but still no low beams, and all 4 bulbs light up. Help me please. Thank you.
    Darcy
  • Options
    lesjohnslesjohns Member Posts: 1
    The manifold heater kicks on and off causing the lights to go dim then get bright. When engine gets to normal operating temperature the lights will go back to normal.
  • Options
    dodgeboy2dodgeboy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 dodge ram 3500 I was out playing in the snow the other day and when I came out of the hills my speedometer and cruise control were not working. Today I replaced the speed sensor on the drivers side of the tranny and I still got nothing help please I am trying to sell the truck and I don't want some body to think I unhooked the speedo to keep the mileage down.