Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hello Everyone: I have noted a couple of posts in which the writers refer to a "de-sludging" procedure for the 1.8. I don't have service records from the first owner of my 2002 Passat, and based on the manual for my car, put conventional oil in at two oil changes. I THEN was advised by shipo and altair4 that dyno-juice is an absolute NO-NO. So...my 1.8 seems to be OK, but is there actually a de-sludging procedure that I can use as a preventative measure in case there is some sludge already present? Thanks, vwdawg
  • Shipo, thanks for your feedback. They tried the PVC replacement service and it did reduce the consumption. However that was before I wrote the article and it is still consuming .5 qts per 1000 miles. Thank you for your input.
  • I agree that it is wise to keep a faithful eye on the oil. However, when talking to the so called customer service representatives about this they say "It is normal for oil consumption to occur." I said "In all VW's?" they said no. So I remarked " So all 2.0T consume this much oil, they again said no. And so I stated "Then most must consume this much oil" Again their answer was no. So I had to ask, " how do you define most?" "If this is a common issue to which they say most have this "non" problem" then how can they say it is normal? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? It dumbfounds me that they can make engines that do not consume oil but the 2.0T does, not all of them, but its normal. :confuse:
  • I have a 99' passat and it goes through 5 quarts a month @105,000 miles. Any suggestions for fixing this problem? I don't see oil under the car when it sits? I have no idea why I'm loosing so much. Most of my driving is in Nashville city limits, could that be it?
    And what about bringing this to a garage that says they have parts to fix my vw? Can I trust them if I don't see the parts put in? I'm a retired single woman and need you boys to help me on this please. Honest replies appreciated.
  • frank_cfrank_c Posts: 19
    I have a '05 GLX 4motion with the V6 2.8l engine. Low mileage car, I just hit 25,000 miles. Engine has been prone to burn oil, but not dramatically so (about .5 quarts/1000 miles).

Oil was changed at dealership during warranty period.

Recent oil change: I opted for synthetic 5W40 at Jiffy Lube. I think this is the Pennzoil fully synthetic euro norm (Platinum) which is on the VW list fulfilling 502 and 505 specs. Should be fine thus.

Any thoughts on switching to synthetic after 25,000 miles? I am not interested in ultra performance nor does the V6 need 504/507 spec oil.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Hi Frank C: A couple of questions...you advised that "Oil was changed at dealership during warranty period", but what type of oil did THEY use? Are you stating that the dealer used conventional? I'm not sure what the spec is for the '05 2.8 (perhaps altair4 or shipo could clarify that), but with all the oil sludging horror stories I have read (mostly on the 1.8T), I don't think I would hesitate to use an approved synthetic in your car, and I have never heard of a problem with switching from conv to synth. I DO have one concern regarding your situation...that's the statement that you "...THINK this is the Pennzoil fully synthetic euro...". If it IS the case that the VW spec for your Passat is 5W-40 synth, then I would be sure to request frm J-Lube that they confirm in WRITING that IT IS an approved 5W-40 or 0W-40 on EVERY work order from them and any other shop that does your oil changes. My understanding is that you want to have your documentation ducks all in a row if you end up with a sludge problem. I would assume that others could provide additional comments. vwdawg
  • frank_cfrank_c Posts: 19
    The Pennzoil synthetic 5W40 oil is 502 spec compliant (retails under Platinum), I checked with Jiffy Lube and VW. V6 engines do not tend to have sludge issues. It is more of an issue of the wrong oil breaking down etc. and damaging the engine.
  • 1734517345 Posts: 1
    I've been pouring through these posts until my contacts are glued to my eyeballs....
    I bought an 06 Passat 2.0 Turbo from a dealership (they'd got it from an auction) with 50k miles. Yes I bought an extended bumpter to bumper warranty. Within the first week of driving it, I got a Service Now and then a check engine light. The dealership where I bought it doesn't have any VW certified techs. Nearest VW dealership is 3 hours away. I took it to a "foreign make" repair place. They attempted to run a diagnostic and could only say they couldn't communicate with the engine controller. I took the dealership PDI/UCI form (indicating they did a 50k check, oil change ect) to the VW dealership 3 hours away. They ran a diagnostic, said the engine was showing a low-voltage reading, asked if someone had disconnected the battery. When I said I didn't know. They cleared the error, drove it for 8 miles and deemd it "fixed". That afternoon the Service Now message displayed and the next day the check engine light came on. Everyone kept asking me "is it running fine? If so, it's not an emergency". So I drove it one weekend and stuck in traffic, running just above idle and the car was WHINING. (I was in Sport mode) Ug. Finally figured out it was MY car. Drove it all the way home. Can't get it to recreat the whining now, but I finally found a place in town that has techs that are newly VW certified. I explained my two issues - the service advisor thinks the oil is the issue with the whining. That the dealership might have put in the wrong oil. Upon confirmation, it's true - the went by what AllData told them - 5w30 if 5w40 wasn't available. Nothing said about synthetic! And no the car didn't come with a manual. The service advisor at this new place said to use 505.01 Pentosin. I did some research and it looks like it's only for diesel engines. Mine is not.So I called her back and she said they've been using it on ALL VW and Audi's, Turbo, Diesel or Gasoline. Just clear across the board. In the meantime the dealership where I bought it scrounged up 5 quarts of Castro SLX and are replacing the oil as I write this. (Who were told that VW was switching to Mobil as the preferred synthetic oil).

I'm frustrated. I can't find a flippin' manual. Everyone keeps giving me a different answer. I don't know if my two issues are related. Monday I have an appointment for the check engine/low voltage reading. I sorta half thought the whining might be the alternator slipping which could account for the low voltage reading, but the belt seems fine. Ug. Any thoughts?

Sheli
  • Can't help on the diagnosis, but the vw dealer who services my '07 only uses Syntec 5-40, which is one of the approved synthetics. It indicates made for VW on container. Commonly sold at Pep Boys, etc.

Good luck!
    Hello, 17345: Not wise to use ANY oil that is not on the VW-approved listing (I believe altair4 posted the actual list a couple of months back, so check it out). Also wanted to respond to the comment on Alldata's alleged advisory that it's "OK to use 5W-30 if 5W-40 is unavailable". That advice is, I think, directly from certain VW manuals (my 2002 Passat 1.8T manual, for instance). HOWEVER, there is one critical part of that advice that is missing, and that is that 5W-30 is ONLY OK for TOPPING up, and only when 5W-40 in unavailable, not for actual oil change applications. Seems to me that there IS one 5W-30 that is approved (Syntec European Formula?), but can't recall which one. Good luck, but proceed with caution! vwdawg
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Common VW 502.00 oils available in the U.S.:

- Castrol Syntec 5W-40
    - Castrol Syntec 0W-30
    - Mobil 1 0W-40

All three are acceptable for primary use during an oil change as well as for topping off in between oil changes.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Shipo, maybe you know the answer because I don't, but what is the VW Spec for the 2006 2.0T? That's what the original poster has. I know 502.00 was okay for the previous gen Passat. Not sure if that applies to the B6 version.
    Yes, in the States, VW 502.00 is specified for both the FSI (through 2008.5) and the TSI (2008.5 and later) versions of the 2.0T. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • I bought a 2003 w8 Passat in 4/09 with 48000 miles. The other day I started the car and it was missing bad. Took to dealer codes for misfire cyls 5,6,7,8 and cam adj advance. Dealer seems lost on W8. Says he has to take engine out. My warranty won't pay saying they believe it is a sludge problem. Dealer wants to flush motor. I have complete history since new and car has always been serviced. Any knowledgeable people out there on W 8 with any answer and how do I get my waranty company to cover repair? Thanks
    Realizing it may have been serviced timely, but what oil type (synth or regular) and grade was used? In other words, was it completely compliant with VW's specs? That might determine whether it was sludged or not.

Did you buy the car from a VW dealer? Was it CPO?

Also, bear in mind that the W8 was a fairly rare engine for some dealers. Not all of them are conversant in problems with that engine. You might want to consider having another service department look at it.

At the very least, post the codes that the engine gave through the OBD.

Oh, and who is the warranty company? You might save someone else from dealing with a difficult provider.
    dcolosimo: Wow, what a horrible mess. I agree with altair4...get a second opinion from a either a good independent repair shop or another dealer. Sludging at 48k sounds pretty outrageous, and if VW-approved synth was used, then VW should definitely be covering this regardless of mileage...contact VW America to complain. I think the extended sludging warranty runs ten years if you are using the correct oil. And, why do they need to take the engine out to de-sludge? Is that the normal procedure for that? Good luck. vwdawg
  • Thanks for your reply. The car was serviced by a VW dealer in Rochester, Ny since new. I purchased it from the original owner with a complete service history. Oil has always been approved synthetic and even when I changed it the shop used synthetic every 5000 miles. The original dealer is aprox 150 miles from me so the VW dealer I took it to is about 100 miles. I did call the original dealer 4 times and have yet to receive a call back. The codes I have are 16406 bank 2 cam adj adv, 16684 random misfire, 16689 cyl 5 misfire, 16690 cyl 6 misfire, 16691 cyl 7 misfire and 16692 cyl 8 misfire. The warranty company is Universal and they were highly reccommended but now I question that. I did call VW and open a complaint and ask for a QTM to be brought in since the dealer didn't seem to be too knowledgeable. I have not received a call back from VW yet either. I love this car but I am sorry I bought it. I am hoping the problem to be electrical or ignition or something other than the $8000 fix they said it might be. Anyone want to buy a mint W8 Passat? Any help would be appreciated.
  • I purchased a 2008 VW Passat about a year and a half ago and the engined seized up on me about 3 weeks ago. The car currently has 23K miles on it and should be covered by the 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, but VW is not adhering to their policy. I am truly frustrated and don't know where to turn. The dealership and the factory rep has asked for oil change receipts, which I supplied them with but they are still denying my warranty. I have filed a complaint with the BBB auto line to dispute this claim and hope the arbritrator rules in my favor. Is there any other way to get this taken care of???? I consider the car brand new and under warranty but VW does not see it this way. Any help would be appreciated.
  • lservelserve Posts: 50
    It sounds like a pretty clear cut case. What is VW's reasoning for denying your claim?
    Do your oil change receipts show that the correct oil (i.e. oil that meets the 502.00 specification) was used? If they don't, then VW is well within their right to deny you warranty coverage.
    Need more info. How many receipts did you provide? Who did the oil changes (dealer, indy, DIY)? What kind of oil was used - full synth meeting VW specs for your engine? What was the oil change interval?

Good luck with your case.
    yippyburst: shipo is probably correct...VW might be within their rights IF the proper synthetic was not used. But altair is also correct, more info is needed. It seems pretty bizarre that your engine should fail, or even sludge buildup occuring, at such low mileage. If either the dealer or other shop did the changes, and didn't use the proper spec'd oil, it would seem that you would have recourse against them. Let us know what pops... vwdawg
  • I read here that M1 0w40 is made in the Fatherland and links to M1 website that says it is 503.01, but when I was at W-Mart a few weeks ago on only said 502.00/505.00, no 503.01 and said made in USA from domestic and imported components. Also, for Passat M1 ESP 504.00/507.00 can be used, 504 superceeds all below for gas specs and ALLEGEDLY 507.00 is that for diesel, although w/PD cam issues 505.01 has more additives so many are sticking w/ that (like Pentosynth HP 5w-40)
    Per a VW correspondence sent to me a year or so back, the 503.01 specification has been dropped by VW. As for the oil specs required for gasoline fired VW engines sold in the U.S., 502.00 is now the minimum spec. That said, for the latest two generations of VW diesel engines, oil that meets the 506/507 spec is required (and a bit difficult to come by here in the States).
  • My '06 sounds like its gonna take off and fly when you start it up. All kinds of loud ticking clicking and knocking. It stops once you put in in gear (reverse or drive)
    But to reply to your post DO NOT TRY TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR CAR.
    Only thing I have had success chaning is the headlights and wiper blades.
    The oil is impossible for me change. If I had the arms of a 6 yr old I might be able to get to the filter. The enormous skid plate is in the way of everything.
    The brakes are without a doubt a dealership job. Here is my story.
    50k miles and my breaks are squelling like there is a hog getting its hoofs removed behind the wheels. I get the car up on the jack, remove the tires, remove the caliper and the S#!+ hits the fan. The calipers are electronically controlled to retract, the old C-Clamp trick to squeeze em back in will not work. DONT TRY IT.
    Secondly, since i had the caliper off I tried to remove the caliper carrier since I was going to have to change the rotor. I thought it was very weird only one side was chewed up but oh well I was determined to fix it. Next problem is that the caliper carrier requires a TRIPLE SQUARE to remove it from the arm. ( I cant remember off the top of my head what mm size the thing is) Good luck finding a triple square anywhere close to where you live. I bought mine off the internet.
    Now assuming you have the all the tools to get this far, you will need to hook up your laptop to your car. Then you need the software to communicate with your car to open the caliper piston so you can put the new pads in. OMG what a debacle
  • tdi_tantdi_tan Posts: 60
    Oil change: The plastic skid plate is held by a bunch of torx screws. easily removeable. If you have a 2.0t, you need a 36mm socket wrench to remove the oil filter (but you need to drain it first)-- not very hard to do
  • That certainly explains why I couldn't find the 503.1 on the oil when I went looking. Thanks for the info Shipo. :)
  • I have had nothing but troubles with my Passat. Bought new in Aug 2007, it currently has 30K miles. Most recently experienced the "oil pressure" light and warning. I called the dealer immediately to see what to do, they recommended I bring car in ASAP. I was working that morning, drove to work, checked my oil. Keep in mind, my oil change had 2 months/2K miles left.....the dipstick read NO OIL!!! To my surprise, I checked it several more times. Took it in to the dealer the next day, they recommended an oil consumption test. I brought the car back in 630 miles like they requested and it was determined that my car is using .71 qts per 1000 miles. They indicated that is well within the guidelines for my vehicle and that it is "industry standard". I find that hard to believe. In a post I just read, someone mentioned that they wrote the dealer and worked out some kind of deal of trading and buying a different vehicle.....I would like to ask more details regarding this......thanks!
    A few points:

1) Yes, the defacto "Industry Standard" for oil consumption is in fact one quart per thousand miles. I think that's wrong, but the auto companies don't give a darn what I think. :mad:

2) The 2.0T FSI engine in your car is notorious for oil consumption, that's the bad news; the good news is that there is a relatively inexpensive and easy fix for the problem. Going from memory here, the FSI engine (as opposed to the newer 2.0T TSI) has a funky crank-case breather system (kind of a high-tech PCV system) that is failure prone, and when it fails, oil starts finding its way into the intake plenum of the engine. VW has redesigned the parts involved a couple of times and you should have no problem having your dealer replace the parts under warranty, that and there are a number of aftermarket companies that make even more robust parts (the drawback with aftermarket parts is that you have to pony up for them yourself instead of having them covered under warranty).

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Hi Shipo: Can we assume that the so-called "industry standard" was developed by "the industry"? Sounds like a crock of BS, as most cars that I've owned go through very little oil, if any, between routine oil changes. I would be pretty disgusted with this situation, especially considering that the 0W-40 or other approved synthethic for this vehicle runs around $7.00 per litre. Hope infinity4 finds some sort of acceptable solution here. The really annoying part of this whole deal is that a solution (yours) can be found on a forum, but the dealership itself seems to be totally oblivious. vwdawg