Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• We bought a new 2002 VW Passat GLS 1.8T new in spring 2002. We have had the oil changed faithfully every 5K at various VW dealerships. The original dealership service order says only that "LPN-000-000 Castrol oil" was installed. After a year we moved our service allegiance to another VW dealership. Their service tickets there described the oil either as "5W30B ZVW-352-530" or as "5W40SB Castrol bulk synthetic" or "5W40SB Valvoline synthetic". We moved away and the current dealership tickets say "PK18PS 1.8cyl syntec oil and "ZWV-352-540-SB syntec 5W40". With this history of absolute adherence to prescribed oil change frequency at VW dealerships and the oil as described, should I expect to ever have the problems described by other?
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    honsi: Considering that you have had your oil service performed at a VW dealer, I can't foresee a problem...if the dealer doesn't have their act together, then it's VW's problem, not yours. I have no idea what the "LPN-000-000 Castrol designation implies, but I would hope it's a VW 502 spec. The other designations sound like 502 spec to me. So...keep those receipts handy in case of a problem...I think all should be OK here. vwdawg
  • New to this forum & I can see these issues have been addressed some time back. The STOP oil pres. light came on in my Passat w/78,000 mi. Next oil change due in 3,000 mi. I checked oil & it was a little low. Only snythetic oil I could find late on a Sunday evening was PEAK 5W-30. I added a quart & it was fine for 2 days, now light is on again. What could this mean? I'm scared! I know so little & have had so many problems with this car.
  • Did the ring replacement help? We have an '06 with oil consumption issues and VW has agreed to fix but I am wondering if we should push for a whole engine replacement.
  • dpnvadpnva Posts: 5
    rosie11,

You need to have your car inspected at a VW dealer Immediately! I have suffered through the dreaded oil sludge issue and it damaged different parts of my cars motor. Fortunately, the dealer was able to get VW to pay the $5,000.00 repair bill but that is due to the fact I had supporting oil change documents and it took 5 days just to get the approval. The OIL Warning light is nothing to mess with. I would not even drive the car to the VW dealer. Have it towed. After my oil warning light came on, I drove the car another 7 miles and that ended up wiping out the turbo charger.

Please get your car to the VW dealer immediately is all I can say!

Best of luck!
    rosie11: As dpnva advises, you should bring your rig into a VW dealer immediately, but first take a looks at dmv123's reference above to the "Oil settlement" link. My understanding is that if you have any sludge issues in the first eight years, VW will make the necessary repairs, and regardless of whether you used the required 502.00 spec synthetic. If you can prove that 502.00 HAS been used all along, then the warranty extends to ten years. If I'm incorrect on that, others can advise. vwdawg
  • Thank you for both replies. I did go through the whole sludge thing with VW about 4-5 months ago, we split the $1500 cost of desludging! Now however the STOP light is coming on again, intermittently. Took it to the local very good garage (Not the VW dealer) & they can find no leak, nothing. What would you guys think it might be?
  • I would have the oil sending unit checked out as mine was causing the low pressure warning light to come on after having my 1.8 ltr. turbo engine deslugded. The light came on after making a sharp turn in either direction.
    Hope this helps.
    rosie: I would say once again...take it back to the VW dealer and get this resolved immediately. Keep records of your diagnostic costs for the non-dealer work, too. Furthermore, with the recent court settlement, my understanding is that they will not only have to get this fixed, they will have to REIMBURSE you for the "split" for the earlier desludging. This whole issue reeks, and as far as I'm concerned, VW really damaged their formerly good reputation by fighting the 1.8T oil problems...design and communication problems that are totally their fault. I have owned five or six V-dubs, but with the ongoing BS on my '01 Passat 1.8T, it will be quite some time before I consider another one. I may soon be changing my moniker to "volvodawg" or "beemerdawg". :)
  • dimdurdimdur Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 B5 Passat GLS v6 with 2.8 engine. Car has 65K miles on it (just broke it yesterday) - obviously do not drive it much - is mainly garaged.

Does it make sense to stick full-synthetic oil in it (presuming I do not drive it - will the oil last longer)? Or just stick to synthetic blend? And which one is better?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Assuming the Audi engine in your Passat was built after July of 1999, it was designed to run on 502.00 synthetic oil or better; putting a synthetic blend in your engine will send your car to the scrap heap before its time (either that or force you to buy a new motor).
    Definitely stick with full-synthetic oil!! If you do not, you will encounter all the major mechanical disasters that have been noted. I can not say it any clearer than that.

: )
  • dimdurdimdur Posts: 2
    thanks for answers. I have pulled all service records and noticed that even when I was doing dealer scheduled maintenance 10W30 had been poured in.

As I mentioned the car is 11 years old and 65K on it - and I have not observed any issues with engine.

But I went ahead and had them pour full synthetic this time.
    While I'm not aware of any 10W-30 synthetic oils being certified to meet the 502.00 standard, I'm also not saying it's impossible. That said, if your dealer was using conventional oil (and many did), you have legal recourse against them if your engine fails (assuming of course you continue to use a 502.00 certified oil now that you're no longer using dealer maintenance).
    I will add that the mileage and year of your car put it in the prime zone for oil sludge issues from using non full-synthetic oil over the years. If you review the many postings regarding this problem that abound on the internet, your car has entered the prime target zone. My sludge disaster hit at around 70,000 miles. If you have not used full-synthetic over the years, just be aware of this major issue that may arise at anytime.

I hope it does not for you and wish you the best. DO NOT ignore any oil warning light messages that occur. 99.9 percent of the time, there is a true problem and the warning light/message is not the result of a faulty sensor or sending unit on these cars.
  • palnpaln Posts: 12
    Hello there,
    Hoping to get an answer if you had a fix for your 06 passat oil consumption issue. I purchased a pre-owned 06 passat a few months ago with 80k miles on it. I am realizing the oil is empty on the two oil changes. My mechanic has used Kendall Oil. Does it meet the standards?

Want to know what you did to fix your car. My car is probably out of warranty at 80k miles.
    Appreciate your time in reading and any response you are able to provide.
    Thank you
    Prasad
    I purchased a pre-owned 06 passat a few months ago with 80k miles on it. I am realizing the oil is empty on the two oil changes. In the last few months my mechanic has used Kendall Oil. Does it meet the VW standards? How do I know?

Want to know if there is a fix for the car. My car is probably out of warranty at 80k miles. What are my options?

Appreciate your time in reading and any response you are able to provide.

Shipo and others, appreciate your time for any help/responses...
    edited June 2011
    A few comments:

1) No need to double post.
    2) There is only one Kendall oil currently on the market which meets the VW 502.00 oil specification; GT-1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil, European Formula.
    3) The first thing to address when confronting oil consumption issues is the PVC system; I no longer remember the specifics of which parts should be changed, but assuming you have no engine damage from running the engine with a low oil level, this fix should take care of the problem.
    edited June 2011
    thanks for the response shipo. Didn't realize it will be double post as its in different titles. How do I know if the engine is damaged? Any tests to be done or any indicators to look for?
    Also is it PVC system or PCV?
    Google shows info for PCV valve only.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Cheers!
    paln,

1. The oil that I use on my 2010 Jetta and 2001 Passat that meets the VW specs is Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic "0W-40." I have had no problems using only this type of oil.

2. The engine on your 06 w/80k as well as most others will use some oil monthly. It is not uncommon for those engines with over 80k and especially over 100k to use a quart a month in some instances. Just a proven fact. You have to monitor your oil level closely. A half quest low will show about half full on the dipstick. A quart low on the dipstick will show no reading on the dipstick.

3. To determine if you have a major problem with maintianing your oil level, I strongly suggest you take your car to a trusted mechanic that specializes in VWs to ensure you get an appropriate evaluation of any issues. This will save you a bundle of money in the long run.
    dpnva

thanks for the response. i drove 750 miles and oil was about 1cm below the max line on the dipstick. how much is consumed?
    there are no visible leaks per mechanic.

thx
  • lservelserve Posts: 50
    It sounds like your getting at least 12-1500 mi / quart. I was told by VW service that with these engines, anything better than 1K Mi / quart was "considered" normal. As you are seeing here best defense is check the oil regularly. I set my reset my trip meter after adding oil and check every 1K. No issues.
    I am looking to get work done by myself for the oil burning issue with my car. I was suggested to replace the PCV system.

I have spent some time and could not narrow down the parts that fall under this system. Anyone who has had a overhaul of PCV system, i am looking to get the necessary parts so I can order them? where to order would be helpful as well.

thanks in advance...
    Cheers!
    after much research and calling dealers i found the following related parts for 2006 passat 2.0T.
    Can shipo/any one confirm if these are the parts they are referring to as a possible solution for oil burning issue?

http://www.europaparts.com/breather-update-kit-a4-b7-2-0t-early-vin.html

thx a lot.
    cheers!
    That item looks and sounds like what I was referring to, unfortunately I've been out of the loop on the early 2.0T oil consumption issues for several years now and don't remember for sure.
  • mahaffeymahaffey Posts: 5
    I just bought a 99 passat 108, miles .What oil should i use ? Its my sons first car.I see oil drops on the passenger side on my garage floor on that side of engine. is it the sludge. I have read scary things about the sludge. I just had a oil change and the man put in 5w30 syn oil .should i put mobile 1 0-40 in my 99 Its a 1.8 t
    edited July 2011
    A few points:

1) Sludge is on the inside of the engine; the engine can be completely caked in grease, grime and unspeakable crud, and still be pristine and sludge free inside.

2) Leaking oil is normal for a car of that age with 108 (thousand?) miles on it.

3) The virtually all of the 5W-30 synthetic oils out there are NOT certified to be VW 502.00 compliant; the question here is which 5W-30 did you have put in the car? Said another way, the oil in the car is most likely not appropriate for this application.

4) Mobil 1 0W-40 is a very good oil for this application (and the oil which I use in many of my cars), but not the only one.

5) Here is a link to the eighth post in this thread which I made over five years ago; most of what I wrote is still valid today (you can pretty much ignore any references to VW 503.01 oils and 507.00 oils aren't even mentioned): http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0aef02/7#MSG7

6) Here is a link to the latest list of approved VW/Audi oils: http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0- - - 023.File.pdf
    the oil was brad 10w30 syn blend. what should i put in it the mobile 0/40 or cast 5/40?.I have no owners manual.the car is in great condition. no service records.only one bad thing bad radio . replaced it with alpine still bad radio. What problems should ilook for. The trany oil is dirty do you recommend changing it or just let it go.
    edited July 2011
    Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most commonly available in my part of the country and may well be the easiest for you to get your hands on too. Failing that, Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or 5W-40 will hold up under the demands placed upon it by the hot running 1.8T.

As for the transmission, does the car have an automatic transmission or a manual? If a manual, leave it alone, if an automatic, then have the fluid drained and the filter replaced; do not under any circumstances let someone talk you into a transmission flush (just extra money to the "service provider", and potentially very damaging for the transmission).
    Hi, I think i have a automatic.I have no clutch,I do have a little area with a + - i have no idea what that is. I found mobile 1 0-40 at walmart. what filter should i use? I am a dumb hick fromOhio thanks