Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    BTW, this grade of Mobil 1, per their website and the label on the bottle, meets the following specs:

VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

I just bought a 6 pack at Advance Auto for $4.77/quart. I'll be bringing 4 along with me to the dealer tomorrow for my 6 month/5,000 mile oil change. My total cost should be somewhere around $52 including the oil, the labor, big filter, and disposal fee.

Not a bad price, IMHO. And I can watch the tech pour the stuff in, if I want. Sure beats $95.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    don't you need 5qt with larger oil filer? 4qt goes to engine and 1qt into the filter.

Krzys

PS It is probably 4.5 to be exact but take 5qt. Pour 4 and then top off.
    I do the top-off at home. Prevents overfills at the dealer...
  • I did not realize that they would let you bring your own oil. I'll try that and see what they say. Thanks!
    Dunno if every dealer will do it. Make sure if you bring oil that it is, in fact, 502.00 compliant. Really, you need to check the prices to decide if it's worth the aggravation. My dealer uses Agip oil in 5w-40. It's 502.00 compliant, but I prefer to stick with Mobil 1.

For the sake of keeping your sludge warranty intact, I strongly recommend that you keep all receipts for any oil purchased outside of the dealership. Further, make sure the dealer marks on their work order and receipt that the oil you brought was 502.00 compliant.

Save all of your receipts! They're worth their weight in gold if sludge (actually coked) oil raises its ugly head. Don't give VWoA any leeway in this area. Apparently they will jump on any lapse in documentation to deny coverage if at all possible.

Personally, I keep all my receipts like they're the sacred text from some religion.
  • My dealer lets me bring my own oil (they know I'm a stickler for proper maintenance and buy the proper VW 502.00 spec oil).
    I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.
  • 2000 Passat - V6 - 2.8L - GLX - 83000 miles

First time DIY'er, I was tired of the 1.5hr wait and $40+ charge at jiffy lube (not to mention the $40 air filter they keep trying to sell me).

Well, I read up on some how to articles here at edmunds and read the manual then droped $80 on tools and supplies. It was not hard to do. I spilled some oil but I'll do alot better next time. I had the DIY aurora going on all day.

Problem is that after I put in the oil I reread the manual and it says to use 5w-30 where yesterday it said 10w-40 :)
    I put in 4 qts and got the big filter so I think I'm about 3 qts short. I figure I'll drive it to the shop (3 miles) and add 5w-30.

Questions-

1- How many qts does this engine take with the big filter?

2- I live in Miami where the "coolest" it gets at night is about 80 deg. During the day it's about 90. It cools off a little more in Dec and Jan though. Is it ok to have 10w-40 in the engine?

3- is it ok to mix the viscosities like I'm planning?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Your manual will specify how much oil your engine should require with and without a filter change, your dipstick will tell the tale from there.

Regarding the oil you've used, ummm, I don't recall any 10W-40 oils currently on the market that meet the minimum spec VW 502.0 standard. I'm thinking that you might want to pick up yet another filter and some 502.0 (or better) compliant oil and do the oil change again. Were I in your shoes I'd pop for some Mobil 1 0W-40, an oil that meets all currently published standards (502.0 as well as the much more stringent 503.1) for VW gasoline engines.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • > I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.

Castrol Syntec 5W40 - the same one my dealer uses, except that I'm paying $5.40/qt at AutoZone as opposed to $7.00+/qt at the dealership. I use this oil on all three of my VWs. My 1997 Jetta has 189,000 on the original engine - and it doesn't burn any oil.
    Assuming that your Jetta isn't a turbocharged version, the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 should work fairly well. That having been said, Castrol "Synthetic" isn't a true synthetic, it is in fact a hydrocracked crude oil. The only Castrol (sold here in the U.S.A.) that is fully synthetic is the German made (as in "Made in Germany" printed clearly on the label) Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Said another way, if your engine is normally aspirated, then an oil that meets the VW 502.00 oil standard (i.e. Castrol Syntec 5W-40) is okay, however, if you have a blown engine, an oil that meets the significantly more stringent VW 503.01 is highly recommended. FWIW, off the top of my head, the only two oils that I know of that are certified to meet the 503.01 standard are the aforementioned Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks for the tip, Shipo. I'll keep an eye for Castrol Syntec 0w30 (I've made it a point not to send my dollars to ExxonMobil - a.k.a. The ExxoMob after they nearly ruined my wife's car (and many others) by filling one of their fuel tanks with cleaning fluid instead of premium gasoline)....
    Check Auto Zone for Catrol Syntec 0w-30. Make sure you read the label, though, for origin.
  • I have just purchased an 07 VW Passat Sedan with the 2.0T. Any recommendation as to which brand and model number oil filter I should use?
    Any insight would be appeciated
  • >Any recommendation as to which brand and model number oil filter I should use?

This is another area (besides the motor oil) where you should not take the cheap route. Using the VW factory (MANN) oil filters (the type your dealership uses) is highly recommended. The difference between the MANN filters and the majority of aftermarket filters (with a couple of exceptions) is night and day.

For example, the MANN filters incorporate an internal anti-drainback valve (prevents dirty motor oil from flowing back into the engine when you turn off the motor) and bypass
    valve (which aids in regulating the engine's oil pressure) - both consist of a spring-loaded steel ball bearing design.

The aftermarket filters tend to use rubber bypass valves and anti-drainback valves, and tend to be of a cheaper construction overall.

Here's a link to one of many interesting oil filter comparisons: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
    Select the "German Filters" link at the top of the page for the German oil filter comparisons.

Here's another interesting link about motor oils and filters:
    http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

MANN oil filters are the only filters I will use on my three VWs. I learned my lesson after years of using the aftermarket stuff on other cars. Case in point - when I purchased my 1997 Jetta (as a commuter car) three years ago, I used the aftermarket filters for the first couple of months, and found myself periodically topping off the oil level. Once I switched to the MANN filters, the engine hasn't consumed a drop of oil since - and still doesn't - even at 190,000 miles.

Using the right oil and filter will go a long way towards enhancing the longevity of your auto.

HTH, and best of luck... :shades:
    Thanks for the link. ;-)

As per usual Patrick Bedard is a day late and a dollar short in his reporting. The vast majority of the factoids as he's written them are both widely known (in automotive circles anyway) and nearly ten years old. Castrol, contrary to his article, does in fact use a full PAO base on one (and only one) oil sold here in the U.S.A, namely German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30. Mobil, Amsoil and others make complete lines of fully synthetic oils using a PAO base.

Where I personally draw the line is the gap between a manufacturer "claiming" that an oil meets any given standard and oils that are "certified" to meet those standards. For my money I like oils that are certified to meet the BMW LL-01 and VW/Audi 503.01 standards. Period, full stop, the end. To the best of my knowledge, the only two oils sold here in the States that are certified to meet those specifications are the German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40. With that thought in mind, those are the only oils I ever recommend (except when I'm talking with somebody who has a DaimlerChrysler MDS Hemi which requires a 5W-20 or 0W-20 for the MDS to work properly), and the only oil I use in the half a dozen cars I maintain is Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I am under the impression that the new 2.0T engine takes a cartridge type filter, on a screw-on type like the older 1.8T did.

As evidence, I offer: http://runithard.com/HOWTO-2006PASSATOIL/core.html

Look at the filter element in the pictures.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It's good that the information keeps reappearing, though. People who weren't interested earlier may be interested now.

Thanks, 600golfgt. It's a helpful addition to this discussion.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    Did you notice that the article is dated November 2000?

Krzys
    Actually no. I saw the date at the top of the screen and incorrectly thought that the article was recent. Mea-Culpa. :blush: That said, some of the information in that article was still very stale by the time he wrote it. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • > Thanks, 600golfgt. It's a helpful addition to this discussion.

No problem. Hopefully there will be updated information on the sites that conduct the oil/oil filter comparison tests. The more we can educate ourselves (and others) about these issues, the better chance we (car owners) will have in enhancing the longevity of our vehicles.

Thanks to the many good people who post in these forums, I learn new things everyday. The day we stop learning is the day we are placed in a horizontal position (six feet under)...
  • Update

As a quick fix I added 2.5qts of 5w-20 to try and dilute the the 4qts of 10w-40 to more acceptable levels. Same company and brand.

8 days and 200 miles later I haven't noticed anything.

I'll probably give it another oil change before the end of the month, and use the Mobile 1 you recommended, Shipo.

I'm curios to see how dirty the oil will be after 1 month.
    And if I notice a big difference between the oils.
    "I'm curios to see how dirty the oil will be after 1 month."

I seriously doubt that you'll see much dirt in the oil after a single month in service. That said, the color of oil is a very poor indicator of how well it is protecting your engine. Said another way, I'd rather have a fairly dark fully synthetic oil that has seen 5,000 miles of service in my engine than a new conventional oil that is completely translucent.

"And if I notice a big difference between the oils."

What kind of differences are you talking about here? In reality you probably won't notice any differences at all unless you live in a polar region that is currently experiencing sub-zero temperatures. That said, your engine will be happier with an oil that is designed to withstand the beating that your engine applies to its oil. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    What kind of airfilter is suitable for 04 Jetta VR6? Is it very easy to replace?
    Anyone hear a rumor that Mobil 1, Castrol and Valvoline are reformulating their oils (0w-40 for M1 and 5w-40 for Castrol and Valvoline) and that the new formulations will not meet VW's 502.00 spec? I read this on another forum, but haven't been able to develop any information on it. If true, this ought to make servicing the 1.8T just a little more difficult and expensive...
  • Does anyone know what the recommended synthetic oil for 2006 passat is? I'm tired of paying the dealer $55 for oil changes. I can buy a filter online; just need to know what oil I need to put in.
    Thanks.
  • I use Mobile 1 (o-40) cynthatic, you can also use Castrol 5-40 synhetic
    "I use Mobile 1 (o-40) cynthatic, you can also use Castrol 5-40 synhetic"

A couple of points:
    - Mobil 1 0W-40 is a wonderful oil for late model VW engines as it meets the most stringent 503.01 VW oil specification.

- Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is only a marginal oil for late model VW engines as it only meets the old 502.00 VW oil specification.

- If you want to use a Castrol oil instead of the Mobil 1, use the German made (says "Made in Germany" right on the label) Syntec which only comes in the 0W-30 weight class as this oil also meets the 503.01 VW oil specification.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • And where do you get your filter from (2006 passat)? My local shops don't have it.