Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• chindia76chindia76 Posts: 9
    Yeah on the last part of my post I had wrote that I see now where the confusion is regarding the mileage. I had only read up to the 5000 miles section because I hadn't hit 10,000 miles yet. I get my oil changed at Quirk Volkswagon in Braintree MA. My first one was free and I was told after that it is $32.00 an includes oil, filter etc and they vacuum out the whole inside and top off all the liquids. What region do you live in? My dealership is constantly sending me out coupons also. I have never heard of anyone paying $92 for an oil change. Thats INSANE. Maybe my dealership isn't using the right parts...you sound like you know alot about this stuff so it makes me nervous that my oil changes are drastically cheaper then yours. I haven't hit 10,000 yet maybe mine will go up once I hit that mark?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    My first one was free and I was told after that it is $32.00 an includes oil, filter etc and they vacuum out the whole inside and top off all the liquids. What region do you live in? My dealership is constantly sending me out coupons also. I have never heard of anyone paying $92 for an oil change. Thats INSANE. Maybe my dealership isn't using the right parts...

Be nervous, be very nervous. Your car calls for fairly expensive oil and even if they did the job at their cost for the oil and filter (i.e. no labor) it would most likely come to more that $32. My advice would be to check your manual, look at the oil specification (it will be either 502.00 or 503.01) and then make very sure that they are using AT LEAST what is called for.

FWIW #1, 503.01 oil is WAY better than the 502.00 stuff (which is a fairly old spec) and that (the 503.01) is the only oil I would allow to be put into my new VW or Audi engine.

FWIW #2, $92 is about right for a full 503.01 oil change with a new filter, maybe even a little low.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Good to hear from you, Ship. I've been off the Passat boards for a while. Thanks for the info.

Chindia, I live in South Mississippi and get our car serviced at the VW dealer in Jackson. Just to give you a quick rundown, the cartridge type filter is $15.85 and the car requires six(yes,6)quarts of pure synthetic motor oil at $8.50 per quart. So that's $66.85 for oil and filter plus 15.90 for labor. After oil disposal fee and tax the total came to $91.10, so I was off by 90 cents.

Yes, I might could buy oil that meets the specs someplace else for less money. Perhaps the filter as well. But the way I figure it, as long as the car is under warranty I'd rather have the dealer do the work, and then if something happens they can't say, "Well, you should have used this oil and that filter...."

In regards to the earlier post about the Passat using a quart of oil between changes, I've not experienced this. But IMO, no brand new vehicle should use oil that way. I'd be having a talk with my service advisor if it was my car.
  • I'm at 14,000 miles with my '06 Passat 2.0T. Whenever I start the car I get a message that says I'll need to service the car in 1000 miles. Yet, the owner's manual and this thread both suggest that I shouldn't have to bring the car in for service again until 20,000 miles. Can I safely ignore this warning and skip bringing the car in at 15K miles?

Does this mean that the dealer is trying to rip me off by getting me to pay for an oil change twice as often as I need?
  • I have a 2001 6 Cylinder Pasant and I have had oil burning issues from the beginning.
    I have seen reference that other people have had this problem.
    It uses about a quart per 1000 miles.
    Over the years I've heard of some issues with the blown 1.8T engine, however, I cannot remember reading a single complaint from someone with the V6. The proper thing to have done would have been to have your dealer track the oil usage so as to build a case for a new engine. The potential problem here is that many manufacturers consider a quart per 1,000 miles to be "normal" usage.

Just curious, what type of oil are you using and have you experimented to see of a different oil changes your oil consumption (for better or worse)?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • hi
    Can anyone help. I have a 2001 passat tdi 130bhp.
    On start up the turbo demand is ok but after 10-15 minutes the turbo drops of line or high revs are required for it to kick in, the acceleration is poor and stagnates at 80mph in 6th gear ie no or extremely slow acceleration. engine idle is ok. i am getting oil coming through the EGR VALVE AND HAVE A STUCK MAP SENSOR. Is this the cause or i am looking at a new turbo unit
  • I'm from Chattanooga, TN and my dealer sent out a coupon for a $23.95 oil change on VW's. When I called to set up the appt. he told me it would be $95.00 for an oil change on the '06 Passat and the $23.95 was for the '04 and older models....I was steaming mad. I had never heard of a 95.00 Oil Change. So I called the local Valvoline and they said they would only charge $51.99 for the recommended oil (synthetic), however, they could not turn out the "Service Engine" light and the dealer would have to do that.....for a charge of $90.00 (because they have to use a "special" $14,000.00 machine to get the light turned out).
    TOTAL RIP-OFF. Lesson - Ask Service Prices BEFORE buying. I'm just glad we didn't get the VW Toureg. That Oil Change is a mere $179.00.....it must have a "Special" gold additive, huh?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I am guessing you have the 2.0t engine? These engine require VW502 certified synthetic oil every 5K miles. My 1.8t also requirss the same oil and I bring my own oil to the dealer and just pay for a filter and labor. The oil costs me $5.50 per Qt (X5) and the dealer charges me $20.00. So, I pay almost $50 for an oil change. Well worth it to be driving a Passat!!

Also, I get those same coupons in the mail and they ALWAYS have, in small writing, verbiage that says "synthetic cost more". Read the fine print! You can take your car to an independent shop and the cost will most likely be less.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:
    ...my dealer sent out a coupon for a $23.95 oil change on VW's. When I called to set up the appt. he told me it would be $95.00 for an oil change on the '06 Passat and the $23.95 was for the '04 and older models....I was steaming mad.

What's funny about this is the fact that VWoA released a pamphlet saying that synthetic oil is recommended/required for all engines from 1998 onward. What's scary about this is that the dealership either doesn't know this, or is ignoring it.

So the coupon's a great thing, if you happen to own a ten year old VW in addition to your '06 Passat.

Here's a linkie to that pamphlet:
    Choosing the Right OIl for your 1998-2006 VW

Excerpt:

Because of this fact, Volkswagen strongly recommends that you use synthetic-based oil that complies with Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 as a replacement lubricant. Whether you use synthetic or petroleum-based engine oil, the oil that you use must conform to Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 in order to help keep your vehicle’s engine running smoothly and help prevent the formation of harmful sludge and deposits that can lead to expensive repairs. At the time of printing, all of the engine oils Volkswagen is aware of that meet the exacting Volkswagen oil quality standard are synthetic-based.
    BTW, this grade of Mobil 1, per their website and the label on the bottle, meets the following specs:

VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

I just bought a 6 pack at Advance Auto for $4.77/quart. I'll be bringing 4 along with me to the dealer tomorrow for my 6 month/5,000 mile oil change. My total cost should be somewhere around $52 including the oil, the labor, big filter, and disposal fee.

Not a bad price, IMHO. And I can watch the tech pour the stuff in, if I want. Sure beats $95.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    don't you need 5qt with larger oil filer? 4qt goes to engine and 1qt into the filter.

Krzys

PS It is probably 4.5 to be exact but take 5qt. Pour 4 and then top off.
    I do the top-off at home. Prevents overfills at the dealer...
  • I did not realize that they would let you bring your own oil. I'll try that and see what they say. Thanks!
    Dunno if every dealer will do it. Make sure if you bring oil that it is, in fact, 502.00 compliant. Really, you need to check the prices to decide if it's worth the aggravation. My dealer uses Agip oil in 5w-40. It's 502.00 compliant, but I prefer to stick with Mobil 1.

For the sake of keeping your sludge warranty intact, I strongly recommend that you keep all receipts for any oil purchased outside of the dealership. Further, make sure the dealer marks on their work order and receipt that the oil you brought was 502.00 compliant.

Save all of your receipts! They're worth their weight in gold if sludge (actually coked) oil raises its ugly head. Don't give VWoA any leeway in this area. Apparently they will jump on any lapse in documentation to deny coverage if at all possible.

Personally, I keep all my receipts like they're the sacred text from some religion.
  • My dealer lets me bring my own oil (they know I'm a stickler for proper maintenance and buy the proper VW 502.00 spec oil).
    I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.
  • 2000 Passat - V6 - 2.8L - GLX - 83000 miles

First time DIY'er, I was tired of the 1.5hr wait and $40+ charge at jiffy lube (not to mention the $40 air filter they keep trying to sell me).

Well, I read up on some how to articles here at edmunds and read the manual then droped $80 on tools and supplies. It was not hard to do. I spilled some oil but I'll do alot better next time. I had the DIY aurora going on all day.

Problem is that after I put in the oil I reread the manual and it says to use 5w-30 where yesterday it said 10w-40 :)
    I put in 4 qts and got the big filter so I think I'm about 3 qts short. I figure I'll drive it to the shop (3 miles) and add 5w-30.

Questions-

1- How many qts does this engine take with the big filter?

2- I live in Miami where the "coolest" it gets at night is about 80 deg. During the day it's about 90. It cools off a little more in Dec and Jan though. Is it ok to have 10w-40 in the engine?

3- is it ok to mix the viscosities like I'm planning?
    Your manual will specify how much oil your engine should require with and without a filter change, your dipstick will tell the tale from there.

Regarding the oil you've used, ummm, I don't recall any 10W-40 oils currently on the market that meet the minimum spec VW 502.0 standard. I'm thinking that you might want to pick up yet another filter and some 502.0 (or better) compliant oil and do the oil change again. Were I in your shoes I'd pop for some Mobil 1 0W-40, an oil that meets all currently published standards (502.0 as well as the much more stringent 503.1) for VW gasoline engines.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • > I'd be interested in knowing what oil are you using.

Castrol Syntec 5W40 - the same one my dealer uses, except that I'm paying $5.40/qt at AutoZone as opposed to $7.00+/qt at the dealership. I use this oil on all three of my VWs. My 1997 Jetta has 189,000 on the original engine - and it doesn't burn any oil.