Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• Hello everyone I could really use some help with my VW. The Passat oil leak I have is NOT at the front of the engine per say like near any pulleys ...rather the front of the CAR on the SIDE of the engine. Its leaking from a round unit next to the oil filter spin-on housing. I just dont know what that unit is called. It appears to spin off with a 1''hex fitting at the forward facing end. My cd manual wont be here for 5-7 days yet. I cant find ANY engine pictures online to identify components. Any other ideas?
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    travisd: Have you looked more closely to determine if if might be leaking from the valve cover gasket and then seeping down to that "round unit" you speak of? You don't mention which engine you have, but oil leaks can be tricky, so a good work light and a "dentist's mirror" might yield a better diagnosisof the source. vwdawg
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Agreed, we need to know the year, model and/or engine of the car in question before we can formulate an educated guess as to what the problem is.

From memory I can count nearly ten different and distinct engines since the Passat first reached our shores in the mid 1990s.
  • the engine is a 2.8 ltr. VR6
  • sorry its a 1994
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    my 97 Passat VR6 did not have spin on oil filter but a cartridge.

Krzys
    I believe all VR6 motors of that era had the cartridge style oil filter; I know my 1995 Passat did. :)
  • vwhellvwhell Posts: 2
    Have 2007 Passat, have 58K, Still under 5 year/60K mile Powertrain Warranty--had oil changed and light came on stating Low Oil pressure immediately followed by Stop engine light (only 30 miles after oil change)....Car immediately stops--have car towed to Dealership, they now states warranty is void b/c of wrong oil used. Currently now need a new engine per VW, have rental car bills, a car note, and a hugh HEADACHE- Correct oil was used by the standards in the manual; however I have now sought legal counsel and if anybody has exeprienced the same Engine failure by no fault of their own and the dealership refuses to arbitrate, then join me and let's hold the right party responsible :mad:
    edited October 2010
    A few questions:

- What do you call "Correct oil?"
    - Where did you have the oil changed?
    - Do you have the receipts?

If you had your dealership or a reputable shop change your oil then you should have receipts that show a 502.00 certified oil was used at least every 10,000 miles (after the first 5,000 mile oil change). Assuming you have said receipts, then there is no need to go to all of the trouble of starting a class (probably wouldn't get you much anyway); simply confront the dealership with the evidence and demand they spell out in writing why they're denying your warranty coverage.

Keep us posted,
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    I couldn't have said it any better, Shipo. This should be interesting...
    Hello, vwhell: As usual, shipo and altair4 provide the best overviews of the VW oil change issue. Yes, the "correct oil" is 502.00 VW spec (Mobil 1 0W-40, etc.) and nothing else will do. If indeed the proper oil was used, then we have to wonder what planet your dealer is from. In addition to shipo's questions, one has to ask how they arrived at the "need new engine" diagnosis. Did they do a preliminary teardown to determine what was actually going on? Did they even ask for proof of type of oil used? I'm not a big fan of VW dealerships, and have read forum stories of even those shops using incorrect oil! I find it difficult to believe that one or two oil changes with the wrong oil would sludge your engine, but if it turns out that the wrong oil has been used all along, THEN you will want to have your attorney contact your oil change provider and advise them that they will be paying for your new engine. Unfortunately, non-VW specialty shops are notorious for using the wrong oil, and furthermore, do not specify on their work orders what exact oil was used. However, if they are charging you only $20 or $30 for a change and filter, it's a sure bet that they used your basic, out-of-the-barrel, non-502.00 oil. Good luck, and please let everyone know what goes down here. vwdawg
  • I am new to this forum. I just purchased an 08 VW Passat Wagon. I want to change the oil & filter, but can't even see the oil filter or drain plug. My previous veh was a VW Jetta TDI, no problem there, but I would like to avoid breaking something when I attempt this procedure on the Passat. All I see are covers over the motor :o(

Where can I find the info on how to proceed here ? Thank you
    Assuming you have a 2.0T engine; which version do you have? Asked another way, does your engine say "FSI" or "TSI" on the engine cover?
  • I own a 2007 passat wagon and it just turned 90,000 miles. I am the original owner and had the car serviced on a regular basis. Recently the engine light came on and the problem was a worn cam, replaced that and the dealer was helpful and gave me a discount on the labor. Called VW of N.A. And they did not offer anything. They explained that since the dealer offer assistance, they felt that was enough. In all my years owning a car, not once did I have to replace a cam? Unless it was a racing cam! Now I am being told I need to change the timing belt. Also, I am a getting the bell and stop engine low oil pressure light....I have schedule service, but wondering is this the best thing to do or is it time to sell? Car is clean and runs well? :confuse:
    mckauto: 90,000 miles and have not changed the timing belt? You're drivin' a time bomb...that belt could go at any time and your engine will likely be toast. In fairness to any prospective buyers who are not familiar with TB issues, you should probably change it prior to selling, or at least advise them that it must be done like yesterday! Also, the "STOP ENGINE - Low Oil Pressure"...potentially serious problem! You state "car serviced on a regular basis". Who did the service, and do you know what type of oil was used? Unless a VW 502.00 spec oil was used, you may now have other serious problems, particularly if you have a 1.8T engine. I hate to bring more bad news, but your engine may be sludging up due to wrong oil being used. That may also explain the failed cam, which could have resulted from incorrect oil. Take your baby to a good independent VW shop immediately and have them check everything out...otherwise your problems may get worse. vwdawg
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    The 1.8T engine wasn't offered in the '07 model year. It may be the 2.0T, though. Your comment on sludging may be right on.

My question to mckauto is: Who performed the oil changes over the time you owned the car? Do you have the receipts for all of the changes? See what spec oil was used. If the dealer did the changes, and used incorrect oil, I think you still have something to talk about with both the dealer and with VWoA.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Are these issues common to the Passat and other VW products using the 2.0 turbo? I was considering the purchase of a VW Passat wagon (left over 2010 model for a great price), but with comments like this...it has me more than concerned.
    No, the 2010 engine is a completely redesigned unit (they started trickling out of the factory in some 2008.5 models and were in all 2009 and later 2.0T cars). As I understand it, the new engine is quite robust with exceedingly few issues.
  • Drive VERY SLOWLY to your VW dealer and have the timing belt replaced ASAP. I had over 97,000 miles on my '03 Passat. I had not replaced the timing belt.
    It broke while I was on the highway. STOP light came on. Towed to a dealer. Engine was fried. Engine replacement costs were higher than the car was worth (plus they offered only 3-6 month warranty on the replacement engine and no warranty on the labor). So I sold it to a used junkcar dealer.
    Don't make the same mistake -- get it fixed right away! Good luck!!
  • qpsqps Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 Passat.I have 61,000 miles on the car. Car wouldn't start over the weekend, had it towed to dealership. They say, engine seized, give us your oil change receipts. I bought the car used in the end of 2007. Since then I have had the oil changed every 5000 miles. I sent in the receipts but 3 of the 6 were probably done with regular oil.
    My pre-owned warranty is in question..So, service manager says he is "going to bat for me", in discussions with VW, and I should know by the end of today. They have not taken the car apart, so I don't even know what is wrong with the engine.
    I do know that the cam shaft failed last year and was replaced. I am freaking out, obviously this will be a huge expense if I have to pay.