Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    I don't think I would let them off the hook quite so easily. I think I'd give VWoA a call about this - I'll bet they'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

In fact, maybe I'd go back to the dealer at 500 miles and say they owe you a synth oil change.

And, maybe you made a typo, but you'll want Mobil 1 0w-40, not 0w-30.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "And, maybe you made a typo, but you'll want Mobil 1 0w-40, not 0w-30"

Agreed.

gwiz, as far as I know, the only 0W-30 that is certified to meet 502.00 (and as it so happes 503.01 as well) is the German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30, which by all accounts is a very good oil for your car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gwizgwiz Posts: 7
    altair and shipo you are both right--I did make a typo. I had actually went into my post and thought I had changed it to 0w-40, but the correction didn't go through. I will definitely make sure I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and I may just take your advice altair and have them do an oil change with the correct synthetic oil.

Thanks to both of you for your insight.
  • You wrote:
    I will try the ARX with the Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (since it is at least 502.00 cert). After the treatment, however, I will go back to a 503.01 cert.

I didn't check Catrol's website, but I'm pretty sure that Castrol Syntec in the 5w-30 flavor IS NOT 502.00 compliant.

My bad - Shipo wrote 5W-40 and for some reason I wrote 5W-30.
  • Lo and behold, they put 5W-30 oil in

Which is precisely (for my two 1.8Ts) why I bring my own VW 502.00 compliant oil to the dealer every oil change. I also staple the receipts of the purchased oil to the dealer's oil change receipt and file it away - just in case its needed in the future.

The oil that I use nowadays is Elf Excellium LDX 5w40 which is a fully synthetic Group IV European motor oil on the VW 502.00 compliance list (Group IV and Group V motor oils are made from a purely synthetic base stock). The dealer uses Castrol Syntec 5w40 which is a group III synthetic (Group III synthetics are made from a petroleum base stock which has been highly refined, or "hydrocracked" to remove the impurities).

The following oils on the VW compliance list are confirmed as Group IV oils:

Elf Excellium LDX 5w40 (Europe)
    Mobil 1 0w40 European Formula
    Motul 8100 X-cess (Europe)
    Castrol Syntec 0w30 (Europe)

The others on the list are U.S.-sourced oils, and are more than likely hydrocracked Group III synthetics:

Castol Syntec 5w40
    Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5w40
    Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 5w40
    Pennzoil Synthetic "European Formula" 5w30
    Pennzoil Synthetic "European Formula" 5w40
    Quaker State Synthetic "European Formula" 5w30
    Quaker State Synthetic "European Formula" 5w40
    76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5w40
    Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5w40
    Total Quartz 9000 5w40
    Valvoline Synpower 5w30
    Valvoline Synpower 5w40

Any other oil like Amsoil, etc. are not on this list and should be avoided if you value your engine warranty....
  • gwizgwiz Posts: 7
    Thanks 600k.

I checked the receipt again this morning and saw that the oil used was Shell 5w-30, which I believe is made by Penzoil. I know it is a petroleum-based oil, simply based on the price listed on-line of $2.29 per quart.

I will definitely be going with Mobil 1 0w-40 very shortly.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    contact VW. Your new engine is beeing fed the same stuff old one did not like.

Krzys
    You wrote:
    The others on the list are U.S.-sourced oils, and are more than likely hydrocracked Group III synthetics:

Castol Syntec 5w40
    Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5w40
    Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 5w40
    Pennzoil Synthetic "European Formula" 5w30
    Pennzoil Synthetic "European Formula" 5w40
    Quaker State Synthetic "European Formula" 5w30
    Quaker State Synthetic "European Formula" 5w40
    76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5w40
    Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5w40
    Total Quartz 9000 5w40
    Valvoline Synpower 5w30
    Valvoline Synpower 5w40

Just a warning on that Valvoline Synpower 5w-30....
    When I saw the original worldwide 502.00 oil list, I checked the US websites to make sure they were correct. What I found was that Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 in the US is NOT COMPLIANT with 502.00. I even emailed Valvoline and they confirmed it.

However, that same grade is compliant in Europe (if you looked at the product info sheets, you'd see immediately that they are different formulations). Valvoline is obviously brewing different flavors of the same grade in Europe and North America.

One product I didn't see mentioned in your list is Valvoline's Maxlife Full Synthetic in 5w-30 is noted as being 502.00/505.00 compliant (but not 503.01). http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=101
    "One product I didn't see mentioned in your list is Valvoline's Maxlife Full Synthetic in 5w-30 is noted as being 502.00/505.00 compliant (but not 503.01)."

And that is exactly why I'm skeptical of Valvoline's claim that this oil is a Group IV synthetic.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You are probably correct.
  • How much oil are you guys putting in a 2003 1.8T with the larger filter on an oil change? I cannot remember what the spec sheet in my car says, but I know it is for the smaller filter.

Also, anyone know the size of the gas tank in a 2003 1.8T? I am pretty sure the spec sheet in the manual says 16 or 16.5, but there is no way my car holds that much. I run it almost down to 0 miles left and barely fill it with 14 gallons.
    Oil: About 4.2 quarts with the larger VW filter. If you use some of the larger aftermarket filters, it could be more.

Fuel: The tank is listed as 16.4 US gallons. The fuel gauge and the trip computer are very conservative (they really don't want you to run the thing dry!). In my case, it will take about 12.25 gallons if I immediately fill up when the chime sounds. You can easily run it down to zero miles on the trip computer and further, but I don't recommend it. You risk your fuel pump and your cats if it runs out of gas.
  • Thanks

I just got the Mann W940/25 filter from germanautoparts.com. It is enormous. 4.2 quarts sound right?
    I'm not sure with that particular filter (if it's larger than the new spec OEM). Start with 4 quarts. Run the engine, then top off to the top of the crosshatch section of the dipstick. I doubt that it will take more than 4.5 quarts total.
  • I stopped by my local Auto Zone this evening to pick up some oil for my 1997 2.0L Jetta, and lo and behold, they carry Castrol Syntec 0w30 European Formula. It has the new 503.01 spec listed on the bottle and it says "Made in Germany". Never thought I'd find the Group IV Castrol in this area. So I picked up 5 qts. Since I've been running the Syntec 5w40 in the 2.0L Jetta during the Spring through Fall seasons, I figure I'll use this for the cold winter months.

As far as my two 1.8Ts are concerned, I will continue using another Group IV oil - Elf Excellium NDX 5w40 (Now known as ELF Excellium NF). Castrol and Elf are two of four motor oils (currently on 502.00 spec) that are approved for the 503.01 spec. I believe Mobil 1 and Motul are the other two.
  • After some more research, here's a partial list of motor oils that have been approved for the VW 503.01 specification:

Mobil 1 0W-40
    Castol Syntec 0W-30
    Elf Excellium LDX 0W-30
    Motul 8100 X-lite 0W-30

I guess we'll find out what other brands wind up on the list when the smoke clears...
  • Here's a list of VW Specifications (and their explanations) that I found on a Skoda (part of VW group in Spain) forum site:

VW 500.00
    This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)
    Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40
    This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01
    This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as
    VW 500.00.
    Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00
    This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
    Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00
    This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01
    A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
    Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00
    For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)
    Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01
    For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00
    For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01
    For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

Hopefully this will prove to be informative...
  • I think I just resolved the excessive oil usage problem with my '06 2.0T Passat.

As I previously posted a few months ago, I've been using about 1 Qt of oil every 1,000 miles. The oil consumption issue only started at about 25,000 miles. Prior to that period, I didn't use any oil between oil changes. (5,000 miles).

My Dealer confirmed with my local VW Rep that my excessive oil consumption IS A PROBLEM!

The Dealer finally tracked the problem down to the Turbo. They are going to replace it under warranty on 12/17/07.

I'll post another message if the Turbo replacement doesn't fix the problem.
  • I'll post another message if the Turbo replacement doesn't fix the problem.

That is indeed good news! Hopefully the new Turbo will resolve the issue.

In the meantime, I would ask your dealer what kind of oil they use. If they say Castrol Syntec - ask them what viscosity it is. If it's 0w30 (Group IV synthetic made in Germany), then continue to use the dealer's oil. If they say 5w-40, go to AutoZone and purchase 5 qts. of Castrol Syntec 0w30 (make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the bottle), and insist that your dealership use it.

The Syntec 5W40 is known as a Group III synthetic oil, which means they took dino petroleum base oil stocks and refined the impurities out of it so it performs similar to a true synthetic. This oil conforms to the older VW 502.00 specification which covers turbocharged engines up to 180 horsepower.

Syntec 0w30 (Made in Germany) is known as a Group IV synthetic oil, which is made from purely synthetic base stocks. This oil conforms to the newer VW 503.01 specification for turbocharged engines with an output of 180 horsepower and higher.

As an added measure, take the oil receipt and staple it to the back of the dealer's receipt after each oil change to cover yourself so the dealer (or VWoA) doesn't give you a bunch of crap in the event of an oil-related engine warranty claim.

When I have an oil change done on my two 1.8Ts (2003 Jetta & 2003 Passat), I bring my own oil to the dealership.

HTH, and good luck to a fellow veteran (I'm an Air Force veteran)...
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 217
    I have a 2003 1.8T with only 10,000 miles. How often should I change the oil (synthetic) when I drive only 2,200 miles per year? If I use a 5K interval, that would be over 2 years, which seems too long. If I use a 6 month interval, that's only a thousand miles, which seems too low. Is there any recommendation from VW or any of you?
    You should be good to go with a yearly oil change, especially if you use an oil that meets the 503.01 spec (Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Syntec 0W-30) as opposed to the base spec 502.00 oils that are often hydrocracked crude oil.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I agree with Shipo, but I'd make sure that every once in awhile I really ran the thing to get the oil hot for a sustained period of time.
    Good call. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Do it once per year in the fall. The longer you go between changes the more important it is to use synthetic oil.
  • Hi,

I have VW Passat GLS 2005. It uses synthetic oil. What is the recommended frequency for changing the oil in this car?

Thank you very much.
    Assuming that you don't have the TDI version of the GLS, that means that you have a 1.8T. IIRC, your engine requires an oil change every 5,000 miles, and you MUST use an oil that meets, at the very least, the VW 502.00 oil spec (or better still, the 503.01 oil spec). Not any old synthetic oil will do.

FWIW, this type of information is most likely spelled out in your Owner's Manual (assuming that you have one).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • alen3alen3 Posts: 12
    I recently purchased a 2000 Passat 1.8T. I heard that they are unreliable but I liked the car and decided to take the chance. So far no problems.. :) What kind of oil should I put in it and how often? Any other advice to make my Passat last longer... very appreciated.

thanks,
    alen3.
    Short answer: Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Long answer: Go back to message 1 of this discussion and read every post. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • alen3alen3 Posts: 12
    ;) ...How do u turn off the ABS warning every time I turn on the car? My brakes work just fine and there seem to be no problem. Is it ok to put regular 87 fuel in the car or should I stick with 91.

thanks,
    alen3
    "How do u turn off the ABS warning every time I turn on the car?"

I don't believe that you can. FWIW, most cars with ABS run an ABS diagnostic following startup, and during the diagnostic the ABS light is illuminated.

"Is it ok to put regular 87 fuel in the car or should I stick with 91."

Why would you want to? Most tests that I've seen clearly indicate that virtually every car sold in North America that "Recommends" or "Requires" Premium gasoline (the VW/Audi 1.8T included) will drop far enough in fuel economy to actually make fuel cost per mile go UP when using Regular gasoline.

So, running Regular in your car will:
    - Drop your fuel economy
    - Increase your per mile cost
    - Reduce your available power
    - Force your ingnition system to work overtime to keep the timing retarded enough to prevent your engine from self destructing

Given those points, most folks consider running Regular fuel in these engines as a "fools economy".

Best Regards,
    Shipo