Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Town & Country/Caravan Heating / Cooling

Comments

• antmatantmat Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Town and Country and when my van is on the fan runs all the time at a high speed. The speed settings have no control. My temp. settings work ok and the back fan works fine. If I turn off the climate control the fan runs faster.

Thank you!
  • antmatantmat Posts: 2
    :) I used an answer already in the thread. I used an answer written by bravado1 (Answer #1 March 17, 2006) "The control module went bad. This used to be called a resistor pack. Now there are no resistors in it, but only a solid state silicone FET. It is located behind the glove box. Simply open glove compartment and make it swing all the way down by squeezing in on the sides. You will see the module attached to plenum with two plugs connected. Unscrew the two 8mm screws to get module out. New part number from dealer is 5179985AA."

It worked perfectly. Thank you bravado1! :D ">
  • My 96 Grand Voyager has had a problem for two years. If I set the temp up high in the AM to assist the defrost then no matter which setting the slider is set to for many hours (sometimes days) the heater puts out hot air. It is currently stuck in the cold setting. The problem is intermittent, but more often sticking then operating correctly. Recommendations?

auggievan
  • mngolfermngolfer Posts: 18
    Same problem with our 2002 Dodge Grand ES. You can replace the bulbs yourself. The solder on the board appears to be lead free, so takes more heate than tin lead solder. These are the lamps that will work "Chicago Miniature 7646". You can Google and they are available at several suppliers.

Write to Chrysler and lodge a complaint. I also sent to NTSB as safety hazard as trying to adjust the controls at night is a problem. IE can not find the defroster setting...
  • ironlassironlass Posts: 1
    I have a '97 model and recently the air conditioner "on" switch will only work in the highest setting. Any of the lower settings are just dead.

Any ideas?
  • zukdjzukdj Posts: 1
    OK, I have a different dilema, I have the auto-temp control module on my 2002 T&C Limited and my front fan/blower doesn't work at all on any speed however the controls work fine for the rear air/heat on all speeds. I installed a new blower motor because I was told if part # 5179985AA was bad I would only get one speed but that doesn't seem to be the case, I get nothing, has anyone got any suggestions? The blower motor is new, the digital controls run the rear heat/air fine, the only thing not replaced is the auto-temp control module, has anyone seen this go bad to where you get no fan at any speed? It's a $70 part so I want to be sure. Is there a way to test it?
  • 2005tc2005tc Posts: 2
    My 2005 T7C rear AC blows air but no cooling. I heard there is a flapper motor on the unit that may need replacing. I found the ac unit and the line to it is cold. Anyone know how to get to this thing? Looks like something I could get mad over without some instructions.
    Thanks, Greg
  • willemwillem Posts: 16
    My van is from '97, and they might have changed the procedure. But did you switch the auxiliary system from heating to cooling? If not check your manual. With my T & C I have to move the driver side temperature lever all the way to the left to switch the rear system to cooling. (And all the way to the right, to turn the heating back on) :)

Willem
  • 2005tc2005tc Posts: 2
    Hey thanks, I'll give it a try. That may me part of the prob here, I have no manual. Just got the van and it was missing but I have one on the way.
    Greg
  • avgoustiavgousti Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 T&C and went through the resistor pack (actually FED) issue 4 months ago. Now the problem is the air direction. Any position I choose on the knob for the air direction, the air is coming only from the panel. The lights are changing to indicate the position I choose but there is no change in the air flow direction. Any and all suggestions on how to fix the problema are appreciated.

Dinos
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,396
    Sounds like it is probably the actuator that directs the airflow, but I am simply suggesting that as a likely culprit... I have not experienced or diagnosed the problem before.
  • Hey Zukdj, Did you ever find out what caused your problem with your Town and Country? Mine just started doing the same thing and I was wondering what the fix was?
  • avgoustiavgousti Posts: 3
    Any idea how to get to the actuator? Or how to get to the climate controls on the dash?
    No - I am new to the DC minivans (I have had one for about 6 weeks now). Usually, though, there is a casing behind the dash from which the various ventilation ducts extend - floor vents, dash vents, defroster. If you are lucky, the actuator is mounted to the outside of that casing and can be checked and/or replaced from there. How to get to it, though, I do not know. :(
  • steel1966steel1966 Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 T&C EX and have the same issue where I get rear blower action fine, but none from the front. All relays and fuses in the engine compartment are fine. I have not tried to replace the part # 5179985AA yet. Should I bother? What else could it be.

I am pretty sure it is not:

* A/C Unit - It works fine in the rear
    * Fuses - I swapped them all out and the rear still worked
    * Relays - Same as fuses
    * Dash unit - I took this thing apart and actually ended up fixing my stereo :)
    - I guess there could be an issue with just the front knob, but I did not see anything suspect
    * I looked under the glove box to see what was there, but did not see a whole heck of a lot (is part # 5179985AA small or something - what does it look like?)

Thanks for ANY suggestions.
  • On my 2001 T & C, it did turn out to be the Resistor pack, 5179985AA. Cost about $60. The pack is about 1.5"x 2.5" in diamter and is screwed into the firewall directly behind the glove box. You have to press on the glove box hinges and lower the box down to see the resistor. Just unhook it and uncrew it and install the new. Should take care of the problem.
  • steel1966steel1966 Posts: 3
    I went to the dealer to pick up 5179985AA. I then went home to look in the T&C EX to see if it would fit. It would not. :cry:

The part in my van did not have the same pin connectors. One of the two connectors (the larger of the two) in my van had 6 male tabs, mounted in the same fashion as the smaller of the two connectors - which had two metal male tabs. The part number for the one in my 2002 T&C EX (3.8L) is 04885583(or 5)AA.

Was I looking at the wrong part in my van? There were no other connectors in my van that I saw that would come close to fitting.

My connector in my van looked like this (the equal sign represents two horizontal metal tabs):

| = | = = = |

The one I bought (5179985AA) looked like this (the "I"'s represent vertical metal tabs):

| II | III |

Does my 2002 T&C EX use a totally different part number? :confuse:

Thanks.
  • Would there be any reason why the front vents blow cold a/c air, but the rear vents for the second and third rows don't blow air as cold?
    Is this a new development, or has it always done this? If there is just ducting coming from the front of the van, the air will warm within them as it travels. Many vehicles with large air spaces have secondary compressors in the rear of the vehicle to keep this from happening, I just do not know if your van is one of them.
  • I usually don't sit in the back, so...My wife informs me that it has always been like this, to some degree or another, and that I now suspect the air warms as it travels. There is no compressor in the back of the van.
  • Thanks for the advice as my 2002 T&C Limited with automatic temperature control is experiencing the same blower malfunction. I went to the dealer this morning and learned that the part number for my vehicle is 4885482AC, costing $63.35, but the part is back ordered and only 3 or 4 dealers in the US have it in stock as of now. As always when buying electrical parts it is important to know your vehicle's VIN when ordering a part otherwise you might buy the wrong part and find out that it might not be returnable.
  • Update - 4885482AC is the old part number. Another dealership gave me the right information and the part, which fixed the problem.
  • wdw66wdw66 Posts: 1
    On my 99 Town & Country the front driver and passenger fan has stopped working. (It will occassionally work for a few minutes then stop working again). The air is stil cold. If I have the vent on outside air we can feel the cold air being forced through by the outside air.
    The rear air fan is working fine. Any ideas before I contact the dealer. Thanks
  • I have the same problem on my 2001 T&C and they gave me the 4885482AC part number which has been on national back order for 2 and half weeks. Do you have the part number the other dealership gave you?
  • I have a 1997 Town and Country (3.8 v6) with a rear heating unit. The Send/Rec lines that head to the back of the vehicle are completely deteriorated and are dumping coolant onto the ground.. Basically where the metal flange (next to the catalytic converter) meets the rubber hose fittings is completely gone on both lines. I assume this is due to the extreme heat caused by the converter (the rest of the undercarriage is clean) I was wondering if there was some way to plug the lines to the back so the vehicle can still be drivable until I can get the car to my shop to replace the lines in their entirety. Any advice on where to plug them and what to use would also be appreciated.

It looks like replacing the lines next to the firewall/motor requires the exhaust system to be dropped out and a few other parts removed to get to these fittings.
  • the FET part number is: 75343p

I got one from www.mouser.com (part# 511-STP85NF55). Works great!

$1.79 plus shipping. Good luck.
  • Folks,

So I went to the local Chrysler Dealer to have my vehicle looked at, since replacing the resister pack did not fix my issue where AC works in the rear, but not in the front. The dealer said it was a bad blower motor and would cost $400 to fix.

Is this a normal price? How hard is it to replace myself with basic tools? I am handy, but I am just not sure how to go about doing this? Is there a website with directions on stuff like this?

Also I need to replace my spark plugs as well. Can this be easily done or do you have to remove a lot of engine components to get them replaced in a 2002 T&C EX 3.8L?

Thanks for any suggestions...
  • OK, I know that some people say not to do it, but I put in a can of R134 refrigerant with stop leak about 3 months ago, and I must say I have been pleased with the results. The air has blown much colder, and I do mean much colder, than before.
  • Russ12,
    Have an 02 with same issue. Dealer says its the control head in the passenger compartment. Part # 5127466AB - $540 from them ... $261 from newchryslerparts.com.

Haven't tried to replace it yet ... but how tough could it be?
  • tomy2tomy2 Posts: 7
    I have a 3.3L engine (2001 town & country), the front 3 spark plugs were easy to remove. Back 3 required removing wipers, the wiper cowl grille (6 bolts), whole cowl wiper assembly (6 bolts), disconnect wiper fluid hose & wire to wiper moters. Once removed it gives access to back plugs and PCV valve.