Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Town & Country/Caravan Heating / Cooling

Comments

• fdobbsfdobbs Posts: 3
    We are in Maine.

First heating issue we have with this car.

Our 2000 Town and Country LXi 3.8 FWD today would no longer produce warm or hot air. It was still functioning normal (at least I think) yesterday and the past few days. But maybe it had slowed down producing warm air? I don't know. Yesterday it pre-heated & warmed up fine and gave warm air into the passenger cabin while driving. Today we drove one hour in the cold.

The temp needle would barely move up from cold, and drop back down as soon as we tried to get warm air. Even after 20 min to ultimately an hour of highway driving, we still had no warm air coming out of the vents. I confirm that both sliders were on hot, turned on blower and it would blow air. Recirculation made no difference.

The temp needle remained on cold the whole drive. As soon as we stopped at a traffic light near our destination, the temp needle would go up while standing still, then drop rapidly again when we continued our way.

I'm hoping to get some help in:

- determining what the problem would be / could be

- and get an idea of the repair route & cost.

Maybe this is something I could fix myself?

I have not been thrilled with the dealer(s) (trying to get a $1500 repair for a $20 hose with a little puncture in a hose and things like that) and the small shops have been good, but I had mixed results with both local 'good' shops recommended by multiple parties. (missed diagnosis & over charging in hindsight )

Appreciate any help.
  • russ12russ12 Posts: 1
    My 2001 T&C will heat on drivers side but blows AC on passengers front side. Rear heats fine. No matter what the front passengers side controller is set on it still blows cold. Any suggestions?
  • We have a 2002 Town and Country with the 3 zone digital climate control. The little lights that light the buttons are burnt out. Upon disassembly, I see the light bulbs appear to be an integral part of the circuit control board. I have had various experts tell me that the ONLY fix is to replace the whole climate control unit--$400.00 from dealer and less if one can be found second market (hard to do!). Is there any way to replace the tiny bulbs on the circuit board and not the whole control unit? Can I do it myself? Otherwise, I need professional in Oklahoma City or Tulsa. NOT A DEALER please--they just want to sell the $400.00 jobby.
  • Bravado1,

Thanks for the information on the T&C blower problem, we are experiencing a real cold winter here in Ontario Canada and your easy fix was much appreciated. The installation of the new module returned the climate control system to normal and it took less than 15 minutes!

Let me know where to send the reward!
  • asw70asw70 Posts: 2
    I experience the same problem right after the 60K service. Any information will be appreciated.
  • Ours was a defective thermostat. One of the two vertical pieces of the thermostat split / broke. It was stuck in the open position (hence the engine not warming up and no warm air coming it (at 10F outside)).

It was easy to get fixed.
    $7 part at the local parts store.
    20 min to install at a local gas station's service bay.

Two garage shops I called told me this would be a 45min-60min job (and thus towards $60 in labor) which was way out of line, as you can see the part and access it without removing anything. I just didn't want to try it myself as the bolts looked a bit rusty.
  • Ours was a defective thermostat. One of the two vertical pieces of the thermostat split / broke. It was stuck in the open position (hence the engine not warming up and no warm air coming it (at 10F outside)).

It was easy to get fixed.
    $7 part at the local parts store.
    20 min to install at a local gas station's service bay.

Two garage shops I called told me this would be a 45min-60min job (and thus towards $60 in labor) which was way out of line, as you can see the part and access it without removing anything. I just didn't want to try it myself.
  • asw70asw70 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Could you please guide me on where to locate this thermostat?
  • dufer101dufer101 Posts: 1
    Have 2001 Town and country yesterday the fan controll only works on high? dont see much help other than asking you.
    Thanks
    Ed
  • flavifeflavife Posts: 20
    The multi tap resistor for the blower motor sits in the cowling in front of the passenger side of the windshield and is exposed to the rain that goes into the grill in front of the windshield and this cause the speed taps to open up. Over time I lost different speeds until only high worked. The last heater resistor block I bought cost a little less than $15. If the connector is severely corroded you will need to buy a splice connector kit. This is failure is common. I now just change the blower resistor every 2 years to prevent the connector plug from self destruction.

Frank
  • antmatantmat Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Town and Country and when my van is on the fan runs all the time at a high speed. The speed settings have no control. My temp. settings work ok and the back fan works fine. If I turn off the climate control the fan runs faster.

Thank you!
  • antmatantmat Posts: 2
    :) I used an answer already in the thread. I used an answer written by bravado1 (Answer #1 March 17, 2006) "The control module went bad. This used to be called a resistor pack. Now there are no resistors in it, but only a solid state silicone FET. It is located behind the glove box. Simply open glove compartment and make it swing all the way down by squeezing in on the sides. You will see the module attached to plenum with two plugs connected. Unscrew the two 8mm screws to get module out. New part number from dealer is 5179985AA."

It worked perfectly. Thank you bravado1! :D ">
  • My 96 Grand Voyager has had a problem for two years. If I set the temp up high in the AM to assist the defrost then no matter which setting the slider is set to for many hours (sometimes days) the heater puts out hot air. It is currently stuck in the cold setting. The problem is intermittent, but more often sticking then operating correctly. Recommendations?

auggievan
  • mngolfermngolfer Posts: 18
    Same problem with our 2002 Dodge Grand ES. You can replace the bulbs yourself. The solder on the board appears to be lead free, so takes more heate than tin lead solder. These are the lamps that will work "Chicago Miniature 7646". You can Google and they are available at several suppliers.

Write to Chrysler and lodge a complaint. I also sent to NTSB as safety hazard as trying to adjust the controls at night is a problem. IE can not find the defroster setting...
  • ironlassironlass Posts: 1
    I have a '97 model and recently the air conditioner "on" switch will only work in the highest setting. Any of the lower settings are just dead.

Any ideas?
  • zukdjzukdj Posts: 1
    OK, I have a different dilema, I have the auto-temp control module on my 2002 T&C Limited and my front fan/blower doesn't work at all on any speed however the controls work fine for the rear air/heat on all speeds. I installed a new blower motor because I was told if part # 5179985AA was bad I would only get one speed but that doesn't seem to be the case, I get nothing, has anyone got any suggestions? The blower motor is new, the digital controls run the rear heat/air fine, the only thing not replaced is the auto-temp control module, has anyone seen this go bad to where you get no fan at any speed? It's a $70 part so I want to be sure. Is there a way to test it?
  • 2005tc2005tc Posts: 2
    My 2005 T7C rear AC blows air but no cooling. I heard there is a flapper motor on the unit that may need replacing. I found the ac unit and the line to it is cold. Anyone know how to get to this thing? Looks like something I could get mad over without some instructions.
    Thanks, Greg
  • willemwillem Posts: 16
    My van is from '97, and they might have changed the procedure. But did you switch the auxiliary system from heating to cooling? If not check your manual. With my T & C I have to move the driver side temperature lever all the way to the left to switch the rear system to cooling. (And all the way to the right, to turn the heating back on) :)

Willem
  • 2005tc2005tc Posts: 2
    Hey thanks, I'll give it a try. That may me part of the prob here, I have no manual. Just got the van and it was missing but I have one on the way.
    Greg
  • avgoustiavgousti Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 T&C and went through the resistor pack (actually FED) issue 4 months ago. Now the problem is the air direction. Any position I choose on the knob for the air direction, the air is coming only from the panel. The lights are changing to indicate the position I choose but there is no change in the air flow direction. Any and all suggestions on how to fix the problema are appreciated.

Dinos