Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Town & Country/Caravan Heating / Cooling

Comments

• We just spent $600 having the rear heating system lines replaced and all that wnet with it in our 2002 T&C. Do you think there is some kind of design flaw that could be turned into a recall? 5 years is much too soon for a garged van in NJ. I think there is probably a desing flaw with the catalytic converter, as you suggested.
  • eddyx1eddyx1 Posts: 1
    Front fan will not turn off . Tried new relay switch, still on high. I think it might be the actual climate control in the interior of the car. Also, my front AC never works, but the back does. I am sure it is two different issues, but dealers says $700 at least to replace the climate control because of dual control system (front and back)
    I would replace it myself, but can't find the right part # or part.
    Any idea why this is happening? Any idea what part(s) I need?
    Wife really frustrated, so any help would be great.
    Only 60K miles.....gets me mad
  • neil05neil05 Posts: 2
    Like an earlier post from someone else (no solution provided yet), my blower direction is stuck on front vent. I move my dial around (and the indicator lights move too), but no matter what, it's stuck on front vent.

Any pointers to what part controls this, and where I should look is helpful!

Problems with my HVAC on the 2005 T&C Limited are:

1. Blower direction stuck on front-vent
    2. AC compressor does not kick on when I push the snowflake button
    3. Lights are burning out like crazy, and only the left most buttons are illuminated on the panel.

Posted those other two problems because I personally think there's some type of root cause behind all of them..

Thanks!
  • gviethgvieth Posts: 2
    I have a friend that has a 2004 T & C that can not turn the blower down.
    The zones work ok except when the system first comes on.
    He can't turn the system to manual or off.
    Any ideas?
  • When my 2008 Grand Caravan sits overnight and the temps are lower than about 15, the HVAC system won't switch to the dash or defroster vents until the car has had a lot of time to warm up (more than 45 minutes). When it's warmer out, the system switches fine.

I talked to the dealer and they said this is a common problem when they are new. Part of me thinks they just don't want to deal with the car; part of me thinks this might be reasonable. However, I also don't want them ripping the dashboard apart if they don't have to because of the likelihood of introducing a rattle.

The problem is that I have to drive with my window open to keep the window clear. And when it's zero outside, that is not a lot of fun.

has anyone else had this problem? I didn't see any TSB's about it and with the current cold snap, the problem is getting to me. especially since this car isn't even a month old yet.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Can't you just switch it to manual control if you want the defrost mode right away? You're talking about the auto climate control, right?

I have a fairly new Chrysler with auto climate control and it takes at least 5 minutes before the fan starts blowing on high when it's really cold unless I switch it to manual.

I guess the engineers figured people wouldn't want cold air blowing on them and the computer waits until the antifreeze has reached a certain temp. Turning the knob from "A" to manual overrides all that.
  • I have a T & C 2000, 3.3 w/ 95 K.. My AC stopped working properly a while back and I took the car to the dealership for a diagnose. They told me that evaporator got a leak and the replacement would cost me $1,200. I didn't replaced it since it was still working and I figured, when is completely dead I will replace it myself.
    A few days ago, I noticed a squeaky noise coming from the serpentine belt. After taking it to the dealership again for a diagnose they told me that the noise is coming from the AC Compressor and needs to be replaced for another $1,300

And now since the AC doesn't work any more I was thinking to replace them both including the compressor clutch, but I've been reading and reading most of the posts related to my problem on this forum and some other websites and before I buy the Repair Manual, I was wondering if one of the Edmund's Professional staff or one of the members can give me some info/tips on how to, and steps to be accomplished. I used to work on small car engines few years back when cars didn't have so many parts controlled by the computers. I also was wondering if the AC doesn't work any more I still have to take the van to a shop to discharge the rest of the freon if there is any left before proceeding with removing the AC compressor? Any help would be gladly appreciate it.
  • I wish it was that simple. The problem is that no matter what I set the climate control to, the air blew out of the heater vents (the ones at the feet). It did this even if I manually put it on Defrost and put the fan on max (makes for cold feet, that's for sure).

The good news is that we had a warm spell and this problem seems to have corrected itself. I'm not sure if somehow a little bit of water was in the ducts or if the system did just have to "break in". I'm just happy it works right now.
  • chaz6chaz6 Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LX MiniVan. It has nearly 160,000 miles on it. I live in Michigan where it gets cold and snows. Two weeks ago (end of January), the vehicle began having heating issues...

Upon start up, the engine runs fine. The needle on the engine temperature gauage remains at the bottom, at "C" for at least 5 to 10 mins. Then it slow increases to the 1/4 mark. Then within 1 minute it shoots up the the 7/8 mark close to the "H". (The first few times this happened I shut off the vehicle). However, now I found that after another 5 minutes, the needle lowers back down to the "just below the 1/2 way" mark.

At the same time, my cabin heat stopped functioning correctly. Related? Perhaps.

I can't get any heat in the cabin unless I'm traveling at least 40 mph. Therefore while driving through town, there is not heat. On the highway, I have all the heat I want. However after slowing back down to below 40 mph, the vehicle begins blowing cold air again.

Since I take my children to school in the morning, they are freezing the whole way. I don't dare turn on the heat since it only blows cold air, but instead I've given them blankets. After dropping them off, I hit the highway to get to work, and then I'm warm and toasty!

Let me know what you think,

Chaz
    It sounds like a stuck thermostat to me. When it first takes a long time for the temp gauge to rise and then you say it shoots way up, that indicates to me that the thermostat suddenly opens and lets all that trapped hot antifreeze through.

The fact that the heat only works at higher speed might mean that there are clogged passages and you're only getting effective coolant flow when the engine is at a higher rpm and generating a higher water pump pressure.

I recommend a new thermostat and a cooling system backflush.

Also, I'm not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. ;)
  • I have a question about the a/c in an '02 LXi with a 3.8L engine if anybody can help out. The automatic temperature control (ATC) doesn't seem to be working like it used to. When I bought the van the a/c ran ALL the time, and I couldn't get "just" outside air, it was always "cool and dehumidified" air. Well, there was a big hole in the evaporator core, so a new core, accumulator, and interior cabin filter and $958 later...it doesn't work like it used to. My question is: is the a/c really supposed to run all the time, or not? I actually kind of like being able to cool the front seat (back seat a/c still seems to kick in to maintain temp) with outside air...but I also think it needs to be fixed if it needs to be fixed. TIA! :shades:
  • hywllhywll Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 T&C with the dual control heater. The passenger side slide bar works but there is no heat from the vents. drivers side is O.K This problem just started this week . Is this a fix it yourself problem.I should say their is cold air and ACbut no heat. Any advice is appreciated.John
  • I have a 2003 3.8L town & country van with auto climate control. this weekend i noticed that the blower fan in front will not turn off and it runs in only one speed. the temp adjustment works fine. when i try to turn off theheat/a-c the fan get louder like it is in recirculation mode even though the control panel looks like it is turned off. is this due to the resistor?? does anyone know the correct part number??
  • i have a 2001 t&c limited and last night my blower fan stop working. the one in the rear is still working. Could this be the resistor/power module that is attached to the blower be the problem???
  • james90xjames90x Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me what should i check if my 2001 T&c blower fan doesn't come on. I change that resitor module that's located in the glove compartment but that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas???????
  • jbob1315jbob1315 Posts: 3
    there is a fantastic website that should be able to help. you set the price as to what the answer is worth starting at $9 on up if you are satisfied then you pay but not unless the answer works a great time saving tool i have used it in the past well worth $9. good luck :confuse:

http://car.justanswer.com/
    I'd try a free Google search first. There are many links dealing with 2001 T&C blower motors. Here's one that might have the answer:

2001 Blower Motor

From the above link:

just wanted to update this topic, I replaced my blower motor module tonight, took a whole 2 minutes and it fixed the problem
  • sfrisbeesfrisbee Posts: 2
    jbob1315; re: message #79

I have the same exact problem you have, also on a 2003 T&C! The blower fan will not turn off and runs in only one speed. Temperature control works fine. When I turn the climate control system off, the blower switches into recirculation mode, even though the display is off. Coincidentally my daughter got a jump start yesterday, and they did not disconnect the battery. jbob1315 or others have an idea on this one?

thx Fris
  • 43ngin43ngin Posts: 1
    I have an '06 Grand Caravan ( still under warranty )with the automatic Climate Control system. Recently I have noticed the air compressor cycling when the system is in manual mode ( non-auto mode ) without the air conditioning or the defrost switched on. I hadn't encountered that before. In fact, I have always thought that was the so-called "economy mode" in which the compressor would not cycle unless the air conditioning or the defrost was switched on. I understand the auto mode cycles the compressor as the system determines it necessary. I just normally prefer it in manual and turn on the air or defrost when I decide it's time.

When I noticed it cycling, I took it to the dealer service I bought it from. They said "that's completely normal". I made sure they understood that it was in non-auto mode, but they insisted it will cycle the compressor periodically in non-auto mode. I may be wrong, but that doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone confirm or refute the dealer ?