Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 vs. Nissan 350Z

12345679»

Comments

• dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    it seems that, at least theoretically, you should get more power to the ground with a limited slip versus an open diff. and regardless the handling performance would have been greatly improved had CD used a 350z with limited slip, such as the unimpressive slalom speed. this ref also gives some supporting info about the lsd.
    http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/lsd.htm
  • gzoomgzoom Posts: 1
    This disscussion is so funny!!

Ive recently just bought a 350Z GT(i think the US version would be the "track" edition). My previous car was a Honda Integra Type R... Like the S2000 it was driver focused, it was light weight, peak power was reached at 8600Rpm and could out handle car costing twice the price. In fact here in England its been recently reviewed at the best front wheel drive car EVER!!!, and voted as 1 of the top 10 car of all time along with the likes of the NSX, Mclaren F1, F40..liEVO artical.

So when i came to replacing it i looked at the S2000, but i my mind Honda will never produce another car as hardcore as the Integra Type R (mine had no air con and i had to fit a radio my self!!) Instead i wanted something more refined, more comfortable, with more torque but still drove well. The 350Z meets all those requirements and more, yes i would agree its over weight, but if am after a track day car i would have kept the Integra R....However had I not owned a Integra Type, I probably would have gone for the S2000.

Basically both the S2000 and 350Z are amazing cars which puts to shame much more expensive marques. But at the end of the day if i had the money i would be in a 911 or 360 in a flash...and i bet most of the other people here would too.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    GT is "Grand Touring," isn't it? That would be the same here. You've got the coupe version?

I HAD the money to be in a 911 if I wanted, and I chose the Z convertible. It's not just a question of money, although of course both initial costs and maintenance costs for the Z are likely to be less. I just like the car better.

Where in England are you?
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    Does the English Z have a more upscale interior, and I think I read the suspension is tuned differently? Do you have the new '07 motor (the VQ35HR) with the higher redline and more power? Sounds awesome, would love to see what it looks like, enjoy. Can you still get a late model "200SX" in good shape over there?
  • montrosemontrose Posts: 7
    You will get better traction with an lsd regardless of the road conditions so long as the car has enough torque to spin the tires, turning or in a straight line. Open diff=one tire spinning, lsd=no tire spin, better acceleration. You're right.
    ...but the lsd might not have helped the slalom speed because the slalom tends to reward understeer and the lsd might have done the opposite, increasing oversteer. Unless the car was struggling for traction in the slalom, I don't think an lsd would have helped the time/speed.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You're wrong. A LSD will not prevent wheelspin when both wheels have equal traction.

My 2 BMW's and my Miata all had LSD's, and on wet pavement, I could easily spin the rear wheels and do donuts all day long - if I was so inclined. :blush:
  • s2k_07s2k_07 Posts: 6
    I agree with your opinions. Good luck and go for it!

I couldn't wait any longer either so I just got a new 2007 s2k and totally love it! Particularly the sound of the engine and the way it feels when I drive it. Besides the price, these were the determining factors for me as well. It also fits me just fine and I'm only 5'2''.

s2k_07
  • acceleratoraccelerator Posts: 136
    I did, about two months ago, I picked up a Rio Yellow and haven't looked back since! I cannot believe I wanted so long! :)
    Who said anything about an lsd preventing wheelspin with equal traction at both wheels? I said you'd have better traction with an lsd compared to an open diff, regardless of road conditions. How would an open diff ever have better traction than an lsd?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "Who said anything about an lsd preventing wheelspin with equal traction at both wheels?"

This LSD discussion stemmed from a comment posted on June 10th...

"they had a model w/o limited slip and still posted 0-60 in 5.2. So accel times with a limited slip should be a few ticks better than that!"

Don't you agree that this comment suggests that an LSD somehow improves traction on the dragstrip.

"How would an open diff ever have better traction than an lsd?"

I never said it would.
    You replied to my comment, so I thought that was directed at me.

A limited slip won't improve traction at the drag strip, but having both tires spinning with a limited slip is better than having one tire spinning with and open differential. If all the other areas of the car have been addressed (suspension/wheel hop, sticky tires), the car with the limited slip will get to the end of the track faster than the car with the open differential.
  • I used to service, sell and race 240Z & 280Z's. (also 510's)I think they lost the bloodline between then and know. The new Z is a nice car, but very different from the S2K and the early Z's - I think the original "Y2K" - Yatuka Katayama - who was responsible for Datsun and the Z in the U.S., wouldn't be thrilled with the new car. What a great gentleman was "Mr. K".
    I drove both, liked both, but the S2000 was a "rush," and the 350Z was "nice," so I bought the S2000. Make sure you get to drive one that has at least 2,000 miles on it so you can realy drive it. Newer rear suspension w larger tires seems to let you get closer to the limit w less drama. Also the glass rear window is nice.
    Enjoy !!
This discussion has been closed.