Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs. Lexus IS 250

I can't decide between a Infiniti G35 sedan and an Lexus IS250. Help. Main concern is not performance.

Comments

• lexus_jnlexus_jn Posts: 102
    Both are good cars. If performance is not really important to you then IS250 might be a better choice. It's more luxurious, better styling(IMO)and liability than G35. G35 has one issue that really concerns me- The rear crash test receives a poor rating from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The plus side is that G35 has more horsepower than IS250 (280 vs 204)

My suggestion to you is try out both cars and see which one you like best. Also, don't forget to do some research about the model you're going to pick. The online reviews can be subjective so please be aware of that. Good luck
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    I agree both are good cars. Lexus will probably keep it's value a little better. But G35 has a larger back seat if that's a consideration.
  • bandabanda Posts: 4
    Back seats in the G35 also recline if your rear passengers are a concern at all. I was waiting for the IS's to come out for awhile last year, and while I was impressed with the luxury, the huge difference in horsepower kinda irked me. Not even for the performance value, but because on their low end model, there was such a huge difference between that and the high end engine, which is the same size as the infiniti coupe's. I know you were interestetd in performance as much, but for me was more me being annoyed they're giving you less for a similar price. Again, I think the interior of the IS might be a little higher end, but that being said if you can hold off a little, Infiniti is going to be showing off the new Sedan in the New York auto show this April, which *rumor* has it will have a sportier design, so the interior might be brought up a little too.

Personally, I feel you get more bang for the buck from Infiniti, and I used to have a nissan for 10 years, really low maintenance problems with that car. Oh, and a side note, might just be here, being Canada, but my dad bought a Lexus a couple years ago, GS430. Canadian was around 87K I believe, and 2 years later when he was looking at trading it in on a new Lexus, partly because the newly designed 430's were out, but the "blue book" value listed at 38K. So apparently it lost over 50% value in 2 years, which is the suck.
  • tocatoca Posts: 147
    I looked at both and the Infiniti offered me a better bang for my buck. I have two kids so the rear seat was important. IS250's rear seats are pretty useless.

Been driving a G35x for several months and couldn't be happier. Well built, solid and no rattles to speak of either!
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Posts: 102
    I disagree with the statement "IS250's rear seats are pretty useless". I'm 5'9 and find no problem sitting in the back of IS250 nor front.

It all comes down to the taste. For me, IS got a fresh look, sexier, extremely quite in the cabin even at high speed. G35 on the other hand is getting old with its look and a bit noisy and not really well-built as compared to
    IS. Anyway, it's just my opinion and I believe you can't go wrong with either choice...well, unless you considered BMW ;-)
  • tocatoca Posts: 147
    OK, perhaps "useless" is a little harsh. And if I had a 250, I'd probably find something positive with the rear seating space as well.

However, most of the industry pundits, including our very own Edmunds disagree with you. Edmunds list it as a Con and I found this in their IS 250 review:
    "Rear seating isn't as comfortable as we'd like, which surprised us given the IS 250's growth from the old IS 300 days".

Most every review I have seen on the 250 mentions the tight quarters in the back. But, that said, almost all have given it very good ratings.

From your post, it sounds like "fresh look and sexier (which is highly subjective) were more important than the interior space. For me it was the opposite - although in my opinion, the G35 is still a good looking vehicle and "not getting old".

Since you don't have a G, just curious as to what makes you believe it isn't well built? Although I have seen a few posts regarding rattles and brake wear (I believe this is dependent on how hard you drive the car), I have been driving mine for 6 months and no issues. Don't know any manufacturer, including Lexus, that makes a problem free vehicle.
  • boikoboiko Posts: 82
    After just getting back from an IS250 AWD test drive, I feel as many others do. While there are many good points to be made about the new IS 250. It's hard for me to rationalize spending $34-35K (ie. base IS250 AWD) for a 204 HP 4-door sedan and little if any rear seating space.

I'm 6'-1" and you should have seen me on the test drive, stop in a parking lot to checkout the rear seating. In the end I moved the passenger seat very far forward and pretty much upright. At that point I was able to get into the back, and once there it felt not too bad. But I was laughing pretty hard at that point.

Very nice car..just wish it wasn't such a sung fit and the base car had 230-250 HP. Maybe the trick is to give up on the back seats...and pony up the $$$ for the IS350 :)
  • knr5knr5 Posts: 83
    I really don't think they are really comparable, except in price. The G35 is a significantly larger vehicle, and has much more power. The IS250 is really cramped in space (the rear seats are suited to children) and is better matched against the BMW 325i and the Audi A4 2.0T. In terms of performance, the 330i, IS350, and the A4 3.2 compete better with the G35.

On the other hand, the IS250 has exquisite fit and finish that is superior (by far) to the G35. So, if performance and room are not top priority, but styling and refinement are key, then the IS250 is a great choice. It is a great little car for two people essentially. However, if I wanted something smaller and more elegant than the G35, I probably would consider the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4 (even A3) before the IS250 -- the power is marginally deficient in the Lexus, particularly if one wants the AWD. It is too bad Lexus does not offer the 6MT or the AWD in the IS350.

If you are undecided between the G35 and the IS250 -- it is a tug-of-war between your heart (aesthetics) and your brain (utility/common sense). Only you know if you can indulge your heart!:)
  • from_flfrom_fl Posts: 113
    Hi:
    Does any one know when '07 G35 coupe will come-out?
    Thanks,
  • vwcrushervwcrusher Posts: 15
    According to the press announcement last week, November '06. I must say that it looks pretty good...kind of makes you think twice about buy the IS....at least a little. They were known to have extremely poor gas milage, though.
  • rc2006rc2006 Posts: 1
    i read all the comments posted about the IS250 n the G. But what about the IS350 and the g35 coupe.I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get?Will the value of the 06 G35 drop down tremendously? thats the only hesitation. why spend 40k if its gona drop down?so Help!! thanks guys.All suggestions matter.
  • dennisgdennisg Posts: 12
    According to the press announcement last week, November '06.

According to the Infiniti rep I spoke to, it's the sedan that's being refreshed in November '06, not the coupe. The coupe doesn't get refreshed until next spring.

-Dennis
  • ivorypearlgivorypearlg Posts: 53
    Hey RC2006,
    The G35 ( Coupe & Sedan ) are suppose to have the best residual value in there class. My only concern is that the newly designed G35 Coupe & Sedan will be coming out in November ( Sedan ) followed by the Coupe in May.
    This could directly have a effect on the value of the current models. As for the IS350 I would say you can count on a good residual value since all the lexus models do. The Lexus IS350 is a great car and would be a good consideration although it cost about 2 K more then the current G35 ( Both Fully Loaded ). If you can wait for the newly designed G35 Coupe I would, because of the upgraded features, such as a 15-30 HP gain, a higher quality interior, and new technology. But if you can't wait the IS350 would be my personal choice. As for me I'm waiting to trade in my 03' G35 Coupe for a 07' Coupe. Hope I was some help... - Ryan
  • guruggurug Posts: 24
    I own a 06 g35 coupe with premium package. it seems that you need a 4 door. in that case, i would that go for the IS. Firstly, i think the coupe styling is kik-[non-permissible content removed] (hence i own it ) but the sedan styling does not work for me. the design of the lexus sedan is much better. Secondly, you can start a base invoicing at around 27k on the lexus so by the time u click all options you are around 35k which is pretty good for a car with rear view, nav, and millions of touch tech toys and luxury features. plus the IS also has paddle shifters, but i personally do not know how responsive the transmission is. however, i do suggst that atleast test drive the IS 350 as well to experience the difference in power. Oh, the lexus 250 will probably give you better fuel mielage as well because of the smaller engine and less power , the g35 is not that great on fuel. however, the lexus should only be bought will all the toys. if you are simply going base and no option, you might as well enjoy the power of the g35 if not the creature comforts.
  • guruggurug Posts: 24
    oh and just confirming this, the g35 does have amazing residual value but the new lexus should do better than the previous IS as well so it could be close. I would suggest not really caring about that.
  • alolewisalolewis Posts: 36
    We test drove the G35 and the IS350 and my wife liked the IS350 better as the interior seemed better. (I do believe she had her heart set on a lexus prior to looking)
    Residue value is typically important if you plan to sell the car within a time period, typically 5-7 years, after that there is not much residue value difference between any cars. If you plan to keep a car for 10 years or longer, I wouldn't worry about residue value.

My concern would be Infinity quality, right now Nisson has a reputation of poor quality, I recently read a report in Business Week that said Nissan right now has the highest initial defects of all major manufacturers.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    The Infiniti G 35 has historically been a very trouble free car. It has also had some of the highest residuals in this class. Buy the car you like best, don't get confused with any facts ;)
  • factfinderfactfinder Posts: 103
    If your main concern isn't performance, then the IS250 is your car.
  • mboxermboxer Posts: 13
    I had a 2003 G35 when they first came out and the car was totalled on the NY thruway. 4 people in the car including myself, and everyone walked out of it with no problems. The G35 which was rated number 1 in turning radius back then is what saved our lives, and without one airbag going off, no idea why. I now lease a 2006 G35x and would highly recommend the Infiniti brand. The Lexus IS250 looks way too small to me, but have never test drove it. I love pulling up next to a Lexus or a BMW and have them check out my G35x
  • ensyensy Posts: 18
    Just sold a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan with Premium package having owned it for 65,000 kms. (40,000 mi.)Have ordered IS 250 with all the doo-dads. Reason: the Infiniti had an infinite number of fussy, time consuming issues from brakes that needed to be replaced 3 times to glitchy gas gauge that took 7 trips to the shop to fix to more squeaks, rattles and noises than a Hyundai Pony. (sorry Hyundai fans..no offence) Infiniti quality was brutal. Perhaps improved with new models but I sold that car and ran to Lexus where there still seems to be an interest in quality. 4 years and 25 (yes that is right - 25) trips to the Infiniti shop. Feel for the guy who bought it but I am relieved at last. Lexus or Infiniti? The choice is yours.