Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs. Lexus IS 250

1235»

Comments

• Thanks everyone; yes I am silly to complain or ask such detailed questions about the gas mileage when I’m spending that kind of $$$ on a car – guilty as charged! I am an ‘overnalyzer’ ha!

So thanks for answering either way. I negotiated my car Sunday and picked it up today! 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Woo – hoo! It’s a cute car and fun to drive, I don’t even realize I’m going 80 on the freeway, thank goodness for cruise control. It’s fully loaded, white exterior, stone interior with the wood package, nav, Bluetooth, moon roof – everything. One nice detail I like is that you can SET IN MEMORY your seat and steering wheel position. For example, let’s say I go to get my car washed, now my seats are all moved around – I hit this button and it restores it back to MY SETTINGS! It’s those “little details” I really love, that is why I was impressed with the details in the IS 250 as well.

Not used to a navigation system so it’s hard not relying on a printed out MapQuest (old school) vs. relying on this device to tell me where to go. I’m liking it though. It’s like the blackberry, didn’t want one, refused, once I got it I can’t live w/out it, ha!

Catch you on the freeway!
    Peanut

:shades:
  • ocg35manocg35man Posts: 52
    Congratulations on your new G35!

It's difficult, but first 1200 miles try not to exceed 4000 RPM and drive more than
    65 MPH. After that, show time!

After a proper engine break-in period, you will enjoy your car even more. ;)
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    Dont use the cruise contol till your G is broken in. Its in the manual.

I have the same car as you, color exterior, interior, wood trim, just that mine is a G35x. Thats the best color combination right, the car is definietely a sport car but appears to have the elegance of a higher priced car ;)
  • armaniusarmanius Posts: 4
    Congrats smallpeanuts on the new G35. I am picking up my new G35 6MT (graphite platinum exterior with black interior) with premium, navigation and tech packages on Friday. I also made the IS250 v. G35 comparison for about two weeks. Test drove both cars several times. The IS250 has a more refined interior with nicer looking and feeling leather. The IS250 manual transmission was also easier to engage. However, in my opinion, the G35 is better in everything else. It handles better, it's faster, and it has more bells and whistles. Great minds think alike!
  • I have not used the cruise control yet – what does the manual say and why is it bad? Good to know and thanks! Yes, I will try to not go over 65 miles for a while. As I said, I’m not used to that kind of power and didn’t realize I was going 80 until I looked down.

Hey, the odometer has trip A highlighted. How do I switch to the main odometer with the current miles and toggle between trip A, B and main? Haven’t figured out that feature yet.

I have to say I like the body style better on the G35, its got a sportier look than the IS250 but the IS250 INSIDE did a better job with the “details” such as air conditioned seats and wood package coming standard as the last poster mentioned and agree ‘great minds’ - thanks.

Loving the car though, now I look forward to driving and wow I love the hands free blue tooth for the phone, had no idea I would enjoy it so much. Great sound too! Love the IPOD feature, so great. Did any of you buy the XM once your 3 months was up? I haven’t even listened to it yet, so many other choices. Hopefully I will as I only get it for 3 months (the trial). Might come in handy for traffic alerts.
    :lemon:
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Okay, let's take these in order... ;)

Cruise Control is not recommended during the breaking period because it's not good to leave the engine running at one RPM for too long. It's better to vary the speed and/or RPMs during the 1,200 mile break-in. You should also avoid hard starts and stops and short trips as well.

Your "tripometer" can be flipped from A to B by tapping the TRIP/RESET button, which is located on the left side of the gauge cluster. It's sorta out of view when sitting in the driver's seat, so you'll need to look for it. If you give it a quick push, it flips from trip A to B. If you hold it down, it resets the trip back to 0 miles.

I also wish the G had the vented seats from the IS and I also loved the IS's interior, but I actually like the wood trim in the G better than in the IS. The wood in the Lexus is real Bird's Eye Maple, but it has so many layers of protective lacquer on it that it may as well be plastic. The wood in my G is real Rosewood and by look and feel, you know right away that it's 100% real wood. I like that.

I did end up canceling my Sirius subscription and went with a year of XM. One thing to know though is that when your trial time is almost up, they will send you a reminder to buy a subscription. I threw mine away because I knew a better offer would be coming. The next offer came about a month later and offered 3 months free off a 1 year subscription. I tossed that too. A month later, I got a 50% off coupon from XM, which I used... so I got a year for half off. If you hold out, the price gets better!

Enjoy the G!
    Thanks man, this is very good information on the XM deals. I must say I am enjoying the free XM though.

I agree with you on the wood trim as well, the G's is pretty cool.
  • Yes, I got the wood package too (I had the dealer throw that in for free since my BF bought a coupe G37 the week before I bought mine)! ;)

I'd have to go back and look at the Lexus as far as the shine quality on their wood package. It was a month ago I test drove and don't remember it that well. I love mine in the G, it gives it that "luxury" feeling I was wanting inside. Good to know, thanks.

Also, thank you about the XM - I sent this info to my BF so he knows, wow, half a year for free, that is sweet!

Dawn
    I'd have to go back and look at the Lexus as far as the shine quality on their wood package.">

You can fault the IS250 for lack of power and maybe a small interior but thats where it pretty much ends. IMO no other ELLPS come close to this car in fit and finish (both interior and exterior ) and the quality of everything they used for the car, the instrument panel, the resolution of the navi, the sound system etc. Its a great car, why they powered it with a 200hp engine and no AWD in the IS350, I know not
    I completely agree.
    I would have bought the IS back when I test drove it if the AWD IS250 wasn't so under-powered... and the IS350 wouldn't do for me, being RWD only.
    At least my G35 doesn't have that horrible snapping noise in the windshield that Lexus has yet to resolve!
  • Lexus IS has a horrible snapping sound, is this with all the cars?

I’ve had my G35 almost two weeks and I’m still so proud of my choice. So much fun to drive! Gas milease not as bad as I thought, finally filling my tank up this weekend for the first time. I was at the grocery store yesterday and there was a white audi (new) and I walked up to it thinking it was mine, but then I really compared the two side by side and mine had more ROOM inside (a bit bigger) and a better and nice looking control panel with the wood package. Even BMW I’m surprised they don’t make the interior more luxurious? I think when you make a car choice “take away the BRAND” and look at what you get overall. Marketing does a great job with that, you focus so much on the BRAND that you sometimes make out less than if you kept an open mind, glad I did in the end even though I almost did not.
    You are going to find that you are going to be feeling this way for a long time. I have had mine for a month now and I smile every time I walk towards my car.

Its interesting you mention brands because I feel the same way too. One of my hobbies is to park next to Audi A4, C350, BMW 3 series. When you see the G next to these cars, the outward beauty of the G is just so overwhelming you could almost cry with joy :blush:

You are right, the G does offer more than the cars above IMO too
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    if you are talking about a ticking noise coming from the windshield there is a tsb for all 2003-2007 lecus vehicles, they have to cut the plastic that is attached to the windoshield for installation, i gues sit rubs against something and makes a ticking noise.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Lexus IS has a horrible snapping sound, is this with all the cars?

What snapping sound? Had my IS350 for 2 years now and never heard of it before.
    You're one of the lucky few...

Lexus IS Popping Noise
  • Hi again.

I have another question if anyone can answer. I just bought a new CD “Leonna Lewis” she won the X factor in England – anyhow, I downloaded my CD in my music box or I thought I did. Then when I take it (the CD) out the songs aren’t there. Also when it seemed to record (I saw it record 1 of 13, 2 of 13 etc) it says track 1, track 2 vs the titles of the song. I have another CD I already have downloaded the car salesman did for me and it has the name of the album and each song name. Is it possible that certain CD’s are protected where you cannot download? I tried to re-record but it would not let me. I popped it in and hit record, isn’t that all I have to do?

Thanks.
    This is where your CF Card comes in and this website
    http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

follow the instructions on the website to download the track titles.

If you pressed record cd, it should have recorded
  • silvertlsilvertl Posts: 8
    Its in there....it's just in there as "Untitled" or "Unknown" or something like that.
    The website and the CF card will help you normalize eveything. After you complete the upload, your tracks should be recognized. It takes 5 minutes to complete everything
  • mshefmanmshefman Posts: 5
    Friends, I am in the market for an IS 250 AWD. Yesterday, I was given a quote of 15K miles, 36 months, $1349 due at signing and $474/month. Also, the dealer will pay the last 2 months of my current car, which amounts to $750. This is w/out Navigation. With Navigation, I was given the quote of 15K miles, 36 months, $1440 due at signing and $556/month. They will also pay the $750 for my current car. I have not begun to negotiate yet. Just curious if this is a good starting point and where I may expect to end up? The dealer told me this is the lowest price for this car that he has seen (although I have my doubts). Thanks for the help. MJS
  • jennmajennma Posts: 40
    Nice choice, I have the same colour. It's good to know there's some other 6MT owners around apart from myself. :)

In the 7 months I've had mine (has it been that long?), noticed only 1 other "S" on the road and it was a G37. I survived the Winter in Chicago this year and it was a pretty bad one in terms of the amount of snow using Winter tires too.

Today I'm switching back to the performance tires. :shades:
  • Found this blurb today online:

Premium or Regular?
    Lower octane costs less, but should you use it? Most modern cars that call for premium fuel can run on regular gasoline without knocking or any long-term penalty. Technically, this makes the car less efficient, but not to a degree that negates the cost savings from the cheaper fuel grade. NOTE: This is true of cars for which premium is recommended, not required. If in doubt, look for terms such as "for best performance" and "recommended" as opposed to "only" or "required." If your car has a turbocharger or supercharger, you probably should stick with premium fuel. Of course, if your car calls for regular gasoline, there's no reason to run it on anything higher in octane.
  • armaniusarmanius Posts: 4
    I actually have seen a few G35S here in Houston. But it appears that most of them are automatic G35S, as opposed to the 6MT. If you go on the G35Driver.com board, which is primarily composed of enthusiasts, you will find a lot of 6MT drivers there.
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,192
    g35s manuals are out there --i live in boston and see them-- also most dealers have one or 2 on the lot-- for the coupe its a different story up here - see manuals all the time.. I have a g35x and im waiting for an Manual AWD to come out == please infiniti -
  • robyn64robyn64 Posts: 1

I'm looking for a 05, G35 coupe

1235»