Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Real World MPG

124»

Comments

• rube125rube125 Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 VUE with a V6. Car makers lie about the mpg you can expect. They have written many stories about that, so why the surprise attitudes. I am getting 18.333 After filling the tank and driving 200 miles I am 18.333 MPG. They claimed I can expect 22-24 MPG.
    In there defense at the change of the light I move quickly, I do not drive slow. On the freeway I mostly drive about 70 MPH. I have driven faster at times. But, its a real nice vehicle. I previously owned a 2002 Toyota RAV 4 which is not soft riding and no power when I need it. I paid about the same price cause the Japanese companies don't give bargains. They may now cause auto sales are down. I went to three Toyota Dealerships in Ventura county and felt I couldn,t wait to get out of there. The Saturn dealership made me feel comfortable and not pushy. I am not getting great mileage and but I would choose the VUE over the rav4 any day and I love ONSTAR.
  • At my last oil change, I happened to only get a chance to fill up 1/2 way, but still used a full bottle of STP. And my next fill up was from Shell, when I've been exclusively using Exxon.

Somehow, I found a combination that did something and upped my mileage to around 25 mpg overall, up from the 22 I was able to get thru driving slower.

I used the same oil (75k+ Castrol Synthetic) and oil filter (Fram). So pretty sure that's not it.

But the only differences were using STP on a half tank, ~8 gallons instead of 16, and using Shell instead of Exxon.
  • Hi all:
    This is about mileage and shifting. I have an 08 Vue XE 4cyl FWD with about 5000 miles.
    I have been VERY disappointment in the mileage. The best I get around town is 18 -- the best highway 20. This seems to be WAY off from the sticker. Folks I know who have the old style pre-08 Vue seem to get a lot better mileage. I took it to the deal and of course they said that everything was OK. Is this what you all have experienced in terms of mileage?

Shifting: Every little molehill or overpass I come to in the road causes my Vue to downshift. The engine revs very high. This is very annoying and it can't be good for mileage. Is this normal for the 4 cyl or should I have the dealer check it out?

I guess I should have bought the 6 cyl engine.

thanks

TS
  • susv2005susv2005 Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! We recently have been trying to improve the MPG in our 2005 Saturn Vue. We were averaging 16 MPG city and high 18s MPG highway. Because of cost in gas pricing, we started to add on after-market parts to the vehicle for more gas mileage. So far it's been successful. We added a K&N intake, which increased gas mileage in the realm of high 19s and just the other day, we added a performace chip and surveying how much more we're going to get from this. Any thoughts? Comments? Recommendations? :shades:
  • susv2005susv2005 Posts: 2
    Hey there, we've also have been using shell and it did make a big differance in the MPGs. shell gas has been the only gas that get the most MPGs out the car. but still is lookin to improve. :shades:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,611

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• :( I bought the 4 Cyl looking to get at least 18mpg around town - In the first 600 miles it is averaging 12.6 MPG - What's the deal? Anyone have similar experience?
  • It's possible that in Austin, TX, they switched over to 10% ethanol around March/April. At the same time, and since, I've had a decline in mpg of about 15%.

But I have also changed to a job that is only 2 miles away in Nov last year. So it's possible that in combination, such short trips are hurting the mileage, also.

I'm having a hard time finding out concrete info about the ethanol in Austin.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Could be the fuel your're using. Then again, the vehicle is supposed to average anywhere between 15-23 in the city and 21-31 on the highway according to the Malroney Label.
  • Just picked my Saturn VUE (07) last week. Love it so far; how do you like a V4. My husband wanted me to hold out for the 6, but I only work five minutes from my home and we don't go on alot of long trips, very, very few. Your gas mileage sounds great to me. What color is yours? I wasn't crazy about the light silver; but it was a good deal; overall.
  • UPDATE - I found out my wife was sitting in school pick-up lane so the mileage was artificially low- Now have been averaging 22 MPG in mixed driving 70/30 city/highway so I am very satisfied with the 4-banger - one key to getting better mileage trying to accelerate slowly and keep RPM's to 2000 or less,,,curiously most drivers do accelerate slowly around my area...
  • you have to learn to drive the vehicle smoothly - I got '09 4 cyl and get 26 on the open road and about 20 in city - work on keeping rpms around 2000 and you should see the car up shift when you let your foot off the pedal
  • Hiker67Hiker67 Posts: 10
    tstuckert (post # 106) is right; keeping the speed down will help your mileage. We've approached 28-29 miles per gallon on the highway when we keep the RPM's below 2500 or so. I don't like to drive it much above 65 m.p.h., as that sucks the gas down. I prefer 55 or so, but we need to go a little faster on the interstates most of the time. We have a 2004 Vue with the 4 cyl. and a 5-speed manual transmission. We love our Vue again, now that we got around the electrical problems, but that's another forum.
  • What Chip did you use i have yet to find one?
    what were the results?
  • I just bought a Saturn VUE wondering if every one is getting as bad gas mileage as I am? I took it back after the first 2 weeks and each week I had to filled 3 times. When I bought it it was listed @27 MPG and 30 highway. The car place acts like I didn't know what I was talking about. So I started a journal. Then I needed a printed out receipt. I have now done that and kept track of the fact they put air in the tires I am now getting 20 MPG 20.1 to be exact. That is more then 5miles difference PG! Is there not a buyers satisfaction on what is listed for these used cars. Or can people take the viehcal for a week to test drive and see if it is replicable? huc :surprise:
  • On a good run, I get 23 mpg, on a bad run, I get 20 mpg. I have a 2004, 4 cylinder, stick shift. The MPG sticker is a joke, I think real world is usually 60-80% of listed. If find a really good lawyer, you could be the one to take down the system. Also, some car magazines will list what their tests shows for real world mpg. Sometimes you can get dealerships to let you test drive for more than just around the block. For me, I've had less success over the years of getting a long test drive period.
  • ellobo1ellobo1 Posts: 4
    My 09 V6 AWD has been getting around 17-18 60% city and 40% freeway.
  • meajemeaje Posts: 1
    :D All of the documentation about Ethanol enriched Gasoline is that you trade 15% fuel economy for better air quality.... The whole thing about saving planet earth you know...
  • :( That is what I get on my 2009 Hybrid Vue. I took to the dealer but they said everything was perfect, and blamed on my driving condition…
    Is your vehicle hybrid?
    If so, I think your battery engine is not working. I read someone here stating that there was loose ground wire on his car under the hood junction box. Once it was repaired, he stated that it went to 35mpg. Anyhow, I had no luck finding this ground wire. I think the middle battery charge/discharge gauge below the ECO light should move to discharge mode when using the battery engine, but never seen it moving to right side.

Anyone knows how to fix it?
  • Hi, new here and thought I would add some input. I bought my 06 Vue in October of '13 used and I have about 5 months and 7k miles in mine since I bought it. I got the 4 cyl 5 speed manual. I have noticed my fuel economy differ from the type of gas I use to how I drive too. My best was 28 mpg average and worst was 19 mpg average. The worst was using crappy gas so now I found a local gas station that sells 87 octane gas without ethanol added. Now I am between 25-27 mpg in the winter driving. I notice if I do a lot of coasting and hypermiling I see my fuel economy jump to upper 20's. If I go over 65 mph on the freeway my mpgs drop to the low 20's. At 65 mph I am seeing about 25-27 mpg depending on wind. I know doing a K&N air filter swap will give me a slight boost in FE, but I was wondering if anyone has tried a 5th gear swap with say a cobalt or a cavalier? Or possibly a final drive swap to go from the 4.41 to the 3.94 ratio? I have heard doing a swap could lower my freeway roms from 3000-2200 and increase my FE to the lower to mid 30's. Any insight would help...thanks!
124»