Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• tj_610tj_610 Posts: 132
    Posts at ford-diesel.com indicate late availability of the new 6.0L diesel, 11/4/02.
  • white250white250 Posts: 68
    R&R transmission at 8000 miles :-(
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    BUMMER!!!!!!!! Didn't you just get that truck about 3 or 4 months ago?
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    I know this is a 250 forum, but nobody else has answered my question elsewhere. How can I determine, by looking at the OUTSIDE of the rear differential case, if an F-150 has limited slip ? Are there codes stamped into the housing ? A tag ? Is there a way, using the VIN number, to determine this ? Do I need to contact ford ? the truck is a 2001 F-150 Supercab 2x4 "Sport" XLT. thanks.
    I bought it back in september. Just started to drive it in march. I still love this truck regardless...lol. Dealer had the new trans done in two days !!
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    White250 - Sorry about the tranny. What went wrong? (Do you tow?).Just curious, wanna know if there are any symptoms to keep a lookout for.
  • jcave1jcave1 Posts: 137
    I remember the discussions when you bought that truck. I was so happy for you. It's always a bummer learning about premature failures like yours. Sounds like dealer service did good by you, "tranny in two days." Hopefully they did it right and you won't have to go back for a repeat performance. Hopefully also, those evil tranny demons will stay away from me.

All the best

jerry
    I just heard a winding sound through all the gears except overdrive, even when the trans was downshifting. Their was some type of internal failure, they found heavy metalic shavings in the fluid.The dealership I bought it from and get serviced at is the best!! This service went so well, it's like it never happened....lol I still love my ford ! I get more compliments on that truck then anything I have ever had. As for towing, I have only towed 2500 lbs. a couple times so that should'nt have caused anything.
  • dinger2bdinger2b Posts: 7
    Anybody know if there is a larger (larger than 29 gallons) gas tank available for the Ford 2002 Crew Cab SD with short bed? This is a 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel. Thanks in advance
    Don't believe a larger stock tank exists. There was post on the ford-diesel site stating that dual tanks at time of order is an option. One of those well kept secrets. If you already own the rig, then I doubt the option is of any value. You might cruise the f-d site or even ask over there.

Anyway, just a thought.

jerry
    I just answered my own question. After market larger gas tanks are available at www.transferflow.com/ in a 46 gallon and a 59 gallon size. Pretty good stuff as they are 12-14 gage aluminized steel. I think I will have to get one. Thanks for responding though.
    The only way you can get dual tanks is with Chassis Cab - not with pickup body.
    I am looking for a replacement tank not dual tanks and I can get up to 59 gallons as a replacement without lowering the spare tire with the Transfer Flow tanks.
    Dah, sorry, I had heard about transferflow, folks seem to like them. Guess I didn't realize the fundamental need. Imagine, 59 gallons of fuel. Wow.

WP - thanks for setting me straight. Thanks to the great members, we learn stuff almost everyday on this board.

jerry
  • frankno1frankno1 Posts: 68
    Has anyone else noticed this problem of surging cruise when you try to restore original speed. Sometime drops off and the surges up and drops off. May have to take into Ford to find out.

Frankk
    Sorry no. Mine is very smooth, no surges that I've noticed. Don't use it a lot though but did this past weekend.

Good luck. Please keep us posted as to what you find.

jerry
  • jdtopperjdtopper Posts: 58
    every chance I get, even down to 30 mph in town. (I finally got old enough, smart enough and tired enough of paying speeding tickets, so now I just set it at the limit and forget about it) One bonus about using it religiously is that I'm now usually a tad slower than most of the traffic, so I have more time to recognize that a problem is developing on the road in front of me...and I get to do more sight-seeing... ;-)

Mine does surge a bit, but only at very low speeds, or if I'm driving on very hilly whoop-de-do type roads. In both cases, I suspect it's the turbo kicking in rather than the cruise not controlling well enough; it can only react gradually, whether that means adding more pedal or backing off. On open roads at speeds above about 55, there is no surge whatsoever...it stays absolutely locked in at the setpoint. For hours and hours and hours if I'm on I-5...

Resuming cruise after braking is fine too, it gradually accelerates to the setpoint - unless I'm using it in one of those very slow or very hilly areas I mentioned.

JT
    My cruise is also rock solid. I use mine almost everyday, every chance I get. I have never used it at slower speeds though, so I can't comment on that.

Jack, you mentioned your cruise surges a little at lower speeds. Does your truck do it without the cruise at the same speeds? Mine has a slight surge at "in town" speeds. It is the most noticable in the lower gears crawling along between 1,000-1,500 rpms with a light foot on the throttle. I have been told it is air in the fuel being supplied to the injectors. The factory fittings in the tank and pre-pump lines are letting air in.
  • mesazonemesazone Posts: 51
    I too have the '01 PSD and at slow speeds, the motor can't seem to decide on what to do. The speed stays constant, but the motor revs up then down, then up then down. Above about 45, it is real steady. If I'm controlling the gas flow, there is no surging unless I create it.

MZ
    Occasionally mine will search in the 40 - 45 range. All depends on conditions. I don't like the tranny searching so if it's excessive, I lock out overdrive until I can either reduce or increase speed out of that range. I could see where tranny searching might drive the cruise nuts.

jerry
  • frobeyfrobey Posts: 17
    Hey Frank,

I have the V10 with auto and my cruise also surges...I find that it does this most going down long hills. Took it in to the dealer and of course since there aren't any long hills around the dealer they couldn't replicate it so they couldn't do anything about it...sigh.

Frank
    My '01, V10, 3.73 has a surge right around 70 mph with cruise control on. Don't have any problem at lower speeds. It's most noticeable on long flats. I experienced it since truck was about 5-6 months old, but I usually don't cruise more than 65 mph, (above 65 mileage drops big time,) so it hasn't been an issue for me. Totally forgot to mention it during last dealer visit for broken tailgate lock.
    I recently went to VA. to bring niece/apt. furniture and unreliable car back home from college, and towed U-Haul car trailer back to CT. VA has higher speed limits than CT. and I got reaquainted with surge on way there. It was windy, and the surge started makin' me nuts. I tried cruise with overdrive on & off but it didn't change it -still had cyclic increase in speed then drop back down, over and over..... Had to disengage cruise and restart it mulitple times. From watching the tach, it seemed that it happens when torque converter locks or unlocks. I didn't want to go any slower (10 hour trip), so I turned the cruise off and finished trip with manual go-pedal instead. Never have noticed surging without cruise on. Forgot about it again 'til I saw this thread.
    Strange thing on this trip, engine never surged on return leg towing trailer/car w/ 1/2 ton of stuff in bed, and three passengers. Truck was perfectly happy at 70 mph with a load.

Seems like it's a design feature to me - V10 tellin' us either work me or go faster! ;-)

Wp
    These trucks are definitely happier when loaded and working for their keep. Mine is soooooo much nicer to drive when towing or loaded.
    No, the surging only occurs if the cruise is engaged. If I'm on the pedal, it's every bit as steady as my foot. Of course, that does depend on the driving surface...if I'm out in the dirt working my way through ditches or over rocks it can surge some, but that's my fault. Overall, I'd have to say that the cruise is rock solid except under the extremes I mentioned in my last post.

It sounds like you and some of the other folks are seeing their torque converters come out of lockup when they really shouldn't be. Once I get fast enough to be fully into OD (TQ Lockup) it stays locked until I hit the brakes or find a really steep hill to climb. The faster I drive, the less likely it is for the TQ to come out of lockup. At 65 mph, I routinely pull 7% grades in OD with the TQ locked. I'm sure it would pull steeper ones than that and still stay locked, but can't recall the last time I drove over one.

JT
  • wwatkins1wwatkins1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2K F-250 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 diesel with automatic. I get easily 22 to 23 MPG on the highway. with tailgate up and running a/c. anyone else getting the same or better.
    22 - 23 is great mileage. My best to date has been 18.7 with bone stock '01 F-250 SC SB 4X4.
    Can you tell me how you get that much better mileage? You must have a secret.

jerry
    I REALLY don't think the TQ is my problem, since I have the 6-speed. I am going to start out simple, you know, the KISS approach. The first thing I will try is replumbing the fuel pick-up and the pre-pump fuel line. I figure $20 in parts, and two or three hours of labor, what could it hurt.
    ...didn't realize (or remember) that you've got a manual box. Just an idea, but what about binding throttle linkage or loose/worn motor mounts, or a vacuum leak on the cruise bellows (don't know for sure if our cruise controls drive the throttle with vacuum or not, but...) I've seen surge problems in the past from those sorts of things.

Watkins, I have a 350 version of your truck. The only way I can get that kind of mileage is if I set the cruise at 50 or 55 and drive on a flat road - preferably with a slight downgrade and/or a nice tailwind. If I'm at 65+ it's more like 17-18, and that's running empty with a hard tonneau cover. Is that real mileage you're quoting, or a number from the computer? Short term or long term average?

JT
    If the previously mentioned fixes don't work, then I will check to make sure the TPS is working properly. I never have noticed any surge with the cruise. Whatever is causing the surge is being amplified by axle wrap, IMO. I never have watched the axle while someone else drives it, but I can feel it when I get a little over-aggressive with the clutch. How do you check the motor mounts without taking off the hood and watching the motor?
  • benr0benr0 Posts: 22
    I have the same surge at 70 mph. I don't know of any fix from the dealer yet. Best Mpg for me is 18.5, Avg 13.5 mixed.
This discussion has been closed.