Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford 2001 Heavy Duty F-250

Comments

• I am planning to buy a F-250 4x4 sc long bed power stroke. I will be pulling a fifth wheel trailer i th e25-29 foot range. My question is, will the fifth wheel hitch damage the bed liner? Should I look for a particular model liner or do without? With a 7000-8000 pound trailer, what kind of mileage can I expect with the 6 speed, towing and empty?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • molnb,
    I've been told by several spray in dealers to have the holes drilled for the fifth wheel hitch, then have the liner sprayed and finally install the hitch. I believe that their concern is rust around the bolt holes.

I've also been told that with a slip in liner to install the hitch first and then cut a hole in the liner to accommodate the hitch.

Rich (With a new login I/D. Bonnie doesn't know why either.)
  • I am scheduled to pick my 2001 F-250 4x4 CCSB Lariat the first week of October. I plan on selling my wheels and tires right away in order step up a few notches in that area. If you or anyone else are interested, I'd like to get rid of them as soon as possible. Thanks, rutnbuck
  • I am thinking of purchasing a f-250 with a powerstroke diesel. I am wondering which transmission will be more reliable for long term use. Has anyone owned an older f-250 or 350 and had any good or bad experiences they can share to help me decide. Also is the new 6spd the same tranny with an extra gear or is it totally revised. Any info would be helpful Thanks t. mik
  • I ordered an F-250 CC SB 4x4 Lariat Diesel a couple of weeks ago and wanted to respond/ask a couple of questions.

1. A lot of people have asked about the ROI (Return On Investment) on the initial $4600 cost of the diesel. I was curious too when deciding to purchase the diesel or not so I put together a simple spreadsheet and came to the following conclusion. If I drive an average of 15,000 mi/yr, the diesel gets 4 miles/gal better and the cost of diesel gas is 0.10 cheaper, I'll recoupe the $4600 in less than 5 years. For me this is great because I plan on owning the vehicle for a minimum of 10 years. The other benefit is that the dealers are telling me the diesels are good for up to 400k miles where the gas engines need significant work around 150k miles.

2. I've read that the telescoping mirrors cannot lay flat. How big of a deal is this? E.g. will I be able to go through a car wash...

3. I really like the fact that the Super Cab's rear seat flips up to provide more storage space on the floor, however the Crew Cab does not have this feature. Is there a way to retrofit the seat without compromising vehicle/passenger safety?
  • Here is a piece of advice for Super Duty Gas and Diesel owners. I am an independent Amsoil dealer here in So. Cal. I can not say enough about the products they have. I have 200 miles on my truck and I will be switching the tranny fluid to Amsoil Synthetic ATF the weekend. I will do a complete change including the torque converter (approx 20-25 qts). Why you might ask? Amsoil ATF is far superior to any other fluid on the market and you can go 3 times Ford's recommend change interval. I will also be changing the transfer case and rear end as well. I am sure I will pick up some MPG due to the reduced friction. I will not change the motor over to Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil until I have at least 1500-2000 miles and I am satisfied with the oil consumption. I will use Oil Analysis at a cost of $10 to determine when the fluids need to be changed. Standard Amsoil filter change on turbo diesel is 2 times longer or 6 months. I anyone would like more information please let me know. (t_bangs@pacbell.net)
  • I did the same just put on 305 70R16 on American Racing Baja wheels 16X8. I have a 2000 F250 4X4 Crew Cab. I think it looks great, filled the wheel wells nicely. Not to mention ride is much better with bigger rubber
  • Just topped off my tank on my 2000 F250 4X4 Crew Cab I got 22.7 MPG on the first 150 miles of mixed city and highway driving with the 7.3 TD. I my opinion it is well worth the money. That is about 5 MPG better than my wifes 95 Lexus SC400
  • I have went thru car washs without any problems, except for the kid at the end that can't reach the hood & the front window, so even if it's a full service one, I carry a towel, heck at 6'3" even pulling the hood down is a challegne, you got to grab the hook and pull. I bought storage bags(they are stiff) that fit under the back seat (CC) for odds & ends like jumper cables, spare tools. Leaving the storage open behind the seat for my rifles (can hold up to 3 scoped soft cases)& my spotting scope. They are outta of site from nosey people. These trucks are awesome........
  • Ordered my 2001 SDCC in July. Dealer said it was released from the KY plant and would be here in 2 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago. Called him back to see what's up and he said there must be some sort of railcar delay and it should be here in about 2 weeks, "but I've got a 2000 model exactly like the one you ordered" Then I asked if this "exact" model had the heated seats, in-dash 6CD changer, new sew style leather, fog lights and did it happen to be the new dark highland green color available for 2001 models only. As you would expect, the cheezy sales person said, "well no, I guess it's not exactly the same, we'll call you when your comes in. And by the way they already cashed my deposit check, which they said they would hold until the order came in, keepin' up the good reputation. Good Ol' Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines, IA!

Anyone know how to get around your dealer and find out exactly where your vehicle is????
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    Gabester,
    Sounds like the diesel is probably best for you, but the dealer quoting you was exaggerating a little. Granted, he wants to sell you the most expensive options. Today's gas engines go well beyond 200,000. And diesels don't necessarily go up to 400,000. I've never seen one go that far, but I have seen an old Ford w/ 6.9 with somewhere close to 400K on it. But i've also seen Ford 302's and GM 350's go over 300K miles without a prob. And i've seen a Ford 7.3 diesel die at 250K miles.

My point...engine longevity shouldn't be an issue, especially if you are only going to put 150K on the truck in 10 years!
  • If engine longevity should not be a "major" consideration, how about diesel vs gas mileage?

Also, are there any "peculiarities" about the truck I'm buying (2001 F250 4x4 CC SB SRW Lariat Diesel) I should know about such as the passenger non-convex mirror Ford chose which limits visibility?
  • I purchased a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke SD Lariat in June of this year and absolutely love it. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. The engine can't be beat...I don't care what anyone says about the Cummins. The interior is much nicer than Dodge's offering also...no comparison. If anyone is lingering about buying the powerstroke vs. gas, go ahead and spend the money for the diesel. You'll get your investment back many many times. I have put about 8,500 miles on the truck in the past three months, and have averaged 17.5 MPG in mixed driving. I have friends who own the V10 gas and average 10 - 12 MPG. That's a huge difference in my opinion. You'll be disappoinyted. Not to mention mine diesel will still be running at 200K miles when theirs will probably be in the graveyard or have had a major overhaul. Don't even consider the standard V8 in a truck like this.

All I have to say is...Ford has outdone itself. This is my first Ford product, but it will NOT be my last.
    Diesel will get about 17 mpg.

V8 gas will get 15.

v10 gas will get 12 or 13.

Diesel has a lot of maintenance. Gas has practically no maintenance.

I don't own one, so don't know about the 'peculiarities' of the Ford SD.
    I don't think any of the gas engines will 'die' sooner than the diesel. I've seen gas engines 12 years old with over 300K miles on them. I've also seen diesels die before 300K.

Depends on how you take care of it.

A gas will lose some of its pep in older ages that you can't get back. Sometimes you can with a diesel, but it always cost a little.
  • I currently have a 94 Ranger, which has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It has been through 6 clutches, 5 front brakes (pads & rotors each time), 1 completely destroyed 5 sp transmission, and overheats (since 25k) all in under 80k miles. Believe it or not I am considering an F250 Super Duty with the idea that they are really super duty. I have looked at Chevy and am not impressed with the diesel, and the Dodges just seem "flimsy". Does anyone own an "older" 250 SD that is used "sternly" that can comment? I understand the 7.3 is stout but I am concerned about the transmission (auto) being able to take the grunt of a diesel and the brakes being beefy enough to stop without turning to a potato chip.
  • I currently have a 94 Ranger, which has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It has been through 6 clutches, 5 front brakes (pads & rotors each time), 1 completely destroyed 5 sp transmission, and overheats (since 25k) all in under 80k miles. Believe it or not I am considering an F250 Super Duty with the idea that they are really super duty. I have looked at Chevy and am not impressed with the diesel, and the Dodges just seem "flimsy". Does anyone own an "older" 250 SD that is used "sternly" that can comment? I understand the 7.3 is stout but I am concerned about the transmission (auto) being able to take the grunt of a diesel and the brakes being beefy enough to stop without turning to a potato chip.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    What Cdean has said about longevity I agree with. I know that fuel prices vary every where but here diesel is more than unleaded regular.

Did you factor in your oil changes? The diesel holds over double the oil. The filters?? Diesel filters are waaaaay more expensive plus you have a water separator . I've read here that diesels HAVE to have their coolant changed more frequently or damage may result.

Are you paying cash? That $4600 would double in 10 years at 7.2%!! Or you may be paying $90 more a month on a 60 month note.

My only suggestion is drive 'em both. You may fall in love with the diesel as many on this board have. Or you may hate the sluggish, slow revving, smelly, noisy characteristics compared to the V10.

The only time I would choose a diesel is if I were towing close to max the majority of the time and at a high altitude and putting a lot of miles on (30,000+ a year)

You should buy the one you like because the money factor can be twisted either way depending on what someone favors.

Good luck.
  • Two quick questions:
    1) Will a 15inch wheel work on a 2001 F-250 4x4 CC SB or must it be at least a 16inch?

2) Can I put a 35x12.50 on this truck without having to do any modifications?(lift/cutting of bumper)
  • I have an F-250 XLT V-10 Crew Cab Short Bed 3.73 rear end. These are the things that jump out at me. Turning radius is not for the in town driver. You will need practice driving it. LONG and WIDE. Trailer tow mirrors do fold in but will be a pain at times. Get the darkest tinted glass you can get if you want to stay cool. I don't think the A/C is any different than the regular cab. It does not keep everybody comfortable on sunny days. I have four kids and all 6 of us can fit very comfortably on long trips. I am very happy to ride in the back. For a truck with the load and towing capabilities I think this truck drives and rides very well though it is definatly stiffer than F-150's. If gas mileage is important to you don't buy this truck. If someone short will be riding you'll want steps of some kind. The seats blow away my old Chevy seats for comfort and support. It tows like a dream. When you open the doors anything on the floor rolls out (but this makes it easy to clean). I would LOVE to see them make a rear seat that folds up ala super cabs. They did not offer limited slip with the 3.73 in '99 and that is a bummer. Questions? gglasscock@home.com
  • rrichf1rrichf1 Posts: 47
    tmik30,
    I had a '92 with the E4OD automatic transmission. It was rebuilt by the dealer under ESP at about 99,700 miles. (I had run through about a mile of 2 foot deep water about 3 months earlier. The truck was in for service and the dealer found metal flakes in the transmission pan.

cdean,
    I don't see much difference between the maintenance requirements of gasoline vs. diesel. Both require oil changes, oil filters, air filters and fuel filters. The filters for the diesel are slightly more expensive and the oil quantity is about double. The diesel does require anti-cavitation fluid in the radiator. (About $6 every 15K miles.)

Rich
    Rich
    Fuel filters are a little more often done on the diesels, and more difficult, i think...haven't seen any of the new ones.

I realize the duties are close to the same, but the gas is cheaper to maintain, (less of everything). No fuel additives needed anywhere with the gas.

You are probably like me, a bit of a gearhead, and don't mind doing this stuff, so its all moot!
  • Horseman -- not sure if you ever got a response to your question, but by all means tow with the shortbed. I have for the past 3 years and it works fine. One qualifier is, get a tilt-slide hitch. This hitch has a sliding ability and ads about 8 inches to your length to maneuver. When towing it is in the regular position, but to maneuver you place lever in slide position and the hitch tower slides to the rear about 8 inchs. Not enough to get a full 90 degree bend but close. I have had no problems so far. Reese makes a hitch and there are others. I have a 2001 short bed on order now.
  • I am thinking of either purchasing an Excursion or an F250 SD Crew Cab Long Bed with a PSD with a 3.73 or 4.30 rear end for towing an 8000 lb Travel Trailer. Any suggestions for which vehicle or rear are better for this purpose?
  • If you want the PSD the 3.73 rear is your only option.The V10 you could get the 4.30 rear end,either vehicle will tow your 8000 lb trailer fine.The powerstroke will give you much better milege.Good luck.
  • Between the Excursion and the Crew cab with long bed you had better be sure you look hard at the difference in wheel base and total length. The long bed version of the crew cab takes a huge turning circle. Even the short bed, which I have, is longer than the Excursion.
  • fordtuffordtuf Posts: 101
    I have 99 F250 V10 3.73 gears. I tow a 7500 lb travel trailer, after all the gear is in it (It is actually hooked up as I type, we're going to the North Georgia mountains this afternoon). I get 9.5 mpg @ 70-75 mph.

It pulls like a dream, I know without a doubt I can pull the 10,000 lb hitch rating w/out a problem. Two weeks ago I got my Mom 00 F250 V10 4.30 gears. She is going to be full timing with a 34' loaded w/gear it's at or slightly above 10,000 lbs. It only gets 8.5 mpg @ 70 mph, because of the gears.

Both of these are just what we need. Neither one of us can stand the noise of the deisel, nor the smell. Quick thought here, make sure of your loaded weight and your actual miles towing each year. My V10 & 3.73 combo give me 16 mpg empty on the highway & 13 in the city (Atlanta).

P.S. Both truck are supercabs and 4x4.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    I read thru and see a bunch of questions about the diesel as opposed to the gas engines.If you can tolerate the noise,I would prefer the diesel easily over the gas engine.We have a fleet of Fords,Dodges and GM trucks with both,gas and diesels.We have Power Strokes that are going in excess of 300,000 miles with minor problems(glo plugs and fuel injection pumps),while the gas engines are lucky to make it to the 125,000 mile mark.Realizing that the trucks I am dealing with are severe duty,the gas engines under normal running conditions may make it further.
    Also,Ford is expected to start deliveries of the 2001 trucks by late Nov or early Dec.That is the memo we got from them,anyway.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    Quote; "We have Power Strokes that are going in
    excess of 300,000 miles with minor problems(glo
    plugs and fuel injection pumps),"

I have seen on this board that the injectors are like $400 a piece for the PS. A set of 8 would be $3200, about the price of a COMPLETE new gas motor. Factor in the noise you mentioned and the smell and the higher cost for maintenance, the higher initial cost and the sluggish off the line performance, unless you have an extreme work environment the diesel doesn't make sense. IMHO
  • Obviously you haven't driven a new PSD. "Sluggish", I think not. As far as all the other negatives, worth it!
This discussion has been closed.