Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• bsouzabsouza Posts: 1
    Yes. I just took my 05 in today with 124K on the OD for a whining noise when in drive (does not whine when in p,n or r) Service rep said it is an internal problem and needs a new tranny for $3K, He said the diagnoses came up clean aswell as the fluids and flywheel. They washed it for me and charged me 60 bucks, most expensive car wash i ever got. Wish i knew about these problems with the trany before hand, never would of bought one.....
  • rikfrerikfre Posts: 57
    Honda knows they put a defective transmission into the HCH. In Japan there was a recall, but not here in the States. They knowingly manufacture defective components into their vehicles which allow the Dealerships to leverage these defects into big bucks. Honda is an evil entity whose products I will never purchase. They should be completely investigated just like Toyota. :lemon:
  • nypeachnypeach Posts: 11
    I, too, am hearing a whining noise every time I put my 2004 HCH in drive. The mechanic at the dealership said I need a new converter(???) at a cost of $2599. What the heck is a converter and what does it do? I hate this car.
  • I have had my CVT out of the car once and am taking it back out again as we speak. If thier talking about a Torque converter the cvt does not have one. My dealer said they don't work on the CVTs they just replace them. For 2599. they are replacing the whole transmission because that is the price they gave me when they wanted to change out mine.I found a guy in New York that rebilds them with up dated parts.
    I would like to know how to contact this location that rebuilds CVT...phone number would be great.
    thanks. I despise going to the dealerships.. all they do is leverage manufacturing defects into big bucks. As a result the dealerships and Honda have been abusing their customers. I sure hope that one day they get thoroughly investigated just like Toyota.
  • RAMI TRANSMISSIONS,ENGINES&PARTS I had posted the phone number and it was removed, I am not aloud to post phone numbers. send me an email or something off this forum and I will give you the phone number.
  • filmofilmo Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 124,000 miles on it (SoCal commute driving). I hear a noise, sounds like a bad bearing in the tranny. Dealer tells me they have to get a new tranny from Honda and the Honda will not sell to anyone but dealers. They say tranny can not be opened up or rebuilt and it's a $ 5000 job to replace. Are there any alternatives or is dealer telling the truth ? filmo
    I was told the same thing by my dealership in Georgia. But the mechanic at Mr. Transmission said they can get me a used one and do the job for $2500. He said the tranny cannot be opened or rebuilt; whole thing has to be replaced.
  • filmofilmo Posts: 2
    Thank you nypeach. Is Mr. Transmission a retail chain? I haven't heard of it in California.
    yes it is. not sure if they have them in California, but they are big on the East Coast. In any case, I am hopping mad that I bought this lemon and Honda plans to dodge any responsibility. Like everyone else on this message board, I've had my fill of Honda. And I've made sure to tell everybody I know about this experience. Good luck.
    the dealerships want to keep you there. I would call transmission shops around your area and ask if the repair CVT transmissions for your model year. I bet there are a few tranny shops making a nice living off of HONDAS flaws. I know of one such place in my area that repaired my Odyssey trans nicely at a very good price and they are starting to get into CVT's now. I have seen rebuilt CVT trans online in web sites that cater to mechanics. get on that phone...start calling.
  • Hi, if anyone can help me I would appreicate it. My car is at 62,000 miles. It is covered under warranty extension 07-049 and 07-050. The start clutch was replaced and that did not fix anything. The dealer says it is the belt and that I need a new transmission at my own cost. Can someone tell me if they had their transmission replaced under the warranty extention 07-050? He said that a new replacement transmission does not apply to my car. Also, does anyone know where I can get the entire service bulletin?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
    my clutch was replaced under the warranty. sounds to me like this dealership is looking to make some $$$$$$..!
  • They replaced the clutch assembly under warranty but he said it was "worse than before"..now states it is the belt. If anyone has information on the belt and this extended warranty it would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Where did you get a new transmission for $800? Mine is out of warranty and the IMA is going out also. I have a 2003 civic hybrid and I guess I have to count my blessings that this is the first major problem I've had but they're telling me that parts alone are close to $6,000 for the transmission and the IMA and in this economy all I can say is YIKES!
  • 5 speed will not shift in to reverse gears ok but shifter will not go into slot. every one tells me i need to replace the trans???????
  • my experience? NO ESPECIALLY IF YOU OWN A CIVIC HYBRYD :cry
  • Just got my car back today from dealer, new trans & flywheel, price $3492.02. In Jan 2010 I spent $1,164.75 to get the flywheel replaced for the 2nd time (flywheel/flexplate). This time I noticed fluid leaking when I was changing the motor oil. The car had started to make a whinning noise. Dealer said time for a new trans. I went to the Honda Referee last time. Honda paid 1/2. The dealer said they good faithed me around $1000 this time. I'm thinking I may go back to the ref again. Dealer replaced IMA at around 120,000 miles. Said the IMA was warranted for 150,000. My car has 140,000 miles on it now. Almost $2,700.00 for the tranny, and $575.19 for labor, $222.00 for tax.
  • I WOULD DISAGREE. MY O3 IS AT 200,000 MILES AND I CAN TELL YOU EVERY 60,000 TO 70,000 MILES THE TRANSMISSION GOES OUT AND HAS HAD TO BE REPLACED. HONDAS CVT TRANSMISSION IS GARBAGE.