Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• I wouldn't buy it for three reasons. 1. the flywheel on the early HCH models tends to strip where the tranny input shaft splines into it. 2. the replacement trannys are no better than the originals. 3. the IMA battery pack (that runs the hybrid electric motor) has a limited lifespan, just like all batteries do, and at 8 years old, it can't have much time left. Unless all three have been replaced and the car is priced $1000 under blue book value, I wouldn't go near it. Even the newer HCH models (2006 and up) have transmission problems... and they cost BIG bucks if you have to buy one.
  • I replaced a flywheel on a 2004 HCH about 9 months ago, it is still doing fine. In my personal car, 2008 HCH, the transmission is working well with the new bearing. My gas mileage has gone from 42mpg hwy to a little over 46 hwy, which is the same as it was when new. I have put about 6,000 miles on it since I repaired it back in November. The original bearing started making noise at 65,000 miles so I won't know for sure if the new bearing is a good replacement until I put at least 60,000 MORE miles on the car. The new bearing has to outlast the original bearing to be considered as a proper replacement. Go to http://hchdoctorstransmissionpage.yolasite.com to see how I fixed that transmission myself for around $150.
  • rikfrerikfre Posts: 57
    DON'T BUY IT...!!
  • yupcarsyupcars Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

Sorry to post such a popular and repeated problem, but I have been surfing these forums for the past 2 hours and am just looking for a specific answer to my case. So I am hoping that any forum veteran or knowledgeable person may inform me. I wanted to get some opinions before I went into a repair shop and have them rob me blind. From what I gathered on this forum, my wallet and I are thoroughly frightened.

I have a 2003 HCH with about 80,000 miles on it.
    About a month ago I noticed slipping when I would accelerate every time. It would rev and vibrate in place for a couple of seconds before jerking, kind of like a boom/burst, into acceleration. In this last week the slipping has actually decreased to almost never. It only slips when accelerating from a complete stop up a hill or from coasting to up a hill. Even though there is less slipping, my car has begun to shake more than usual when stopped. After accelerating, the car seems normal, but tends to mildly shake and struggle while stopped. Does this mean the accelerator is perhaps starting to catch again or is it about to breakdown completely? What could be the cause for the mild, but noticeable shake my car does while stopped? Is this a repair that I should have checked immediately?

I, too, have also had the bucking/jerking problem when taking my foot off of the gas pedal to coast. After the recall, I was fixed for oh, 2 months, then started up again but with less intensity. I called the dealer and they said there was nothing I could do unless I wanted to pay to have it replace again. It has had this problem for years now, because I just do not have the money to pay for another service. Does this problem normally intensify as the years go on? Is the root of this bucking problem causing irreparable damage to my car or is it reasonable to leave it as is and let people think that I just like to stomp on the brakes intermittently? :P

Thank you!
    get rid of the car......!
  • tedd50tedd50 Posts: 7
    Go back to your honda dealer and ask them for the Honda Referee's phone number and email address. Tell them you are going to go over their head and onto the next level. You paid for a repair that should of been free and now they want to stick it to you again. Tell them "No Way"! tedd50
  • croniercronier Posts: 1
    I agree. Just had my Civic Coupe 2006 at local dealer. Has 43,800 km.
    Needs front strut and rear shocks. Best is I reported a problem before, but was told it is 'something in the trunk rolling around'.
    Maybe Honda needs a wake-up like Toyota.
  • jawilsonjawilson Posts: 20
    edited March 2011
    Why does Consumer Reports and Honda ignore the faulty transmission problem? I suppose that all of the messages on this board are insufficient to be statistically significant, but there must be a lot more! I got rid of mine, but I miss the 37 mpg average over 6 years...
    a classic example of how Honda dealerships misinform and abuse their customers. unfortunately, the majority of Honda owners don"t know how they are being abused. check out their facebook page, it's all sugar and spice and everything nice. all problems are swept under the rug and ignored. I know one thing for sure. I am never purchasing another Honda product ever. Even if they put out a 100mpg (or 100mpc) vehicle. They are a fraud. At least Toyota stands up to their mistakes and take care of their customers. Honda does not treasure their customers. :lemon:
    Honda has been manufacturing defective transmissions since 1996. The problem is big. I know a transmission shop that makes a nice living from the defective transmissions. and, the dealership (Honda) fix is just as bad as the original. Consumer reports does not want to lose a customer is the only reason I can think of for the wink and nod....or there must be $omething else involved.
    I have written to the President of Honda and have been ignored or given the corporate shuffle.
    Honda does not treasure their customers. :lemon:
    Honda has been manufacturing defective transmissions since 1996. The problem is big. I know a transmission shop that makes a nice living from the defective transmissions. and, the dealership (Honda) fix is just as bad as the original. Consumer reports does not want to lose a customer is the only reason I can think of for the wink and nod....or there must be $omething else involved.
    I have written to the President of Honda and have been ignored or given the corporate shuffle.
    Honda does not treasure their customers. :lemon:
  • nypeachnypeach Posts: 11
    Best day of my life! I just traded in my 2004 civic hybrid for a new car and I could not be happier. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER own another Honda. Not ever. They know there is something wrong with the transmission in the hybrid, they know it is defective. THey must have the best lobbyists in the world to stave off a recall of the transmissions. But I don't give a hooey anymore because I am out of the Honda-owning business and I will never darken their doorway again. And I made sure to tell all of my friends about my experience with Honda. A word of advice: Get rid of your civic hybrid.
    good for you. Honda is a horrible company that does not treasure their customers. Their dealerships turn the factory defects into big bucks while abusing and deceiving their clients. :lemon:
  • kapopokikapopoki Posts: 1
    Well, after years of transmission problems and doing what the dealer recommended (which never fixed the problem), my CVT finally died :( Of course, all the band-aid solutions never fixed the problem and now I am out of warranty! American Honda won't help me fix the problem, and they know there is an inheriant problems with the transmission. I will not buy a Honda again after this bad experience.. I'm just not sure what to do.. The cost of a transmission is almost the value of the car.
  • Hi can you describe the problem you are having with your transmission? I've worked on several HCH's... I won't say that the CVT is a good tranny, but they aren't very complicated and fixing one is almost always cheaper than buying a rebuilt one.
  • goinnutsgoinnuts Posts: 3
    After reading about tran problems I am reconsidering the purchase of a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid from a friend who said it 'growls'. I was going to test it this weekend and thought I would look up problems with trans. It has 120,000 mi. and she said she just put 3500 in car but was told tran could go out today, next week or next year. I haven't had a good feeling about purchasing this car since it has been for sale. Her 23 yr. old daughter has been driving this car for a couple of years and just got a new car 3 mo. ago. Do I need to drive it after reading posts here? Maybe I should listen to what I am feeling, (maybe bad karma car)! I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra now and know that car inside and out. I have had Toyota's and love them too, just never had a Honda. Any feedback would help me make my decision.
  • nypeachnypeach Posts: 11
    run, don't walk, away from this car. If you want to preserve your friendship, do not buy this car. It is a LEMON. the transmission will go, that is for sure. Buy anything BUT a honda civic hybrid.
  • tedd50tedd50 Posts: 7
    A message to goingnuts, Believe the other posts, I spent close to two thousand on my Honda, the dealer said he would split the $4000.oo in costs. twenty thousand miles later it cost me $4000, and the dealer just took all my money. If you want to spent another $4000, go ahead and buy the car.
  • goinnutsgoinnuts Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I am running away as fast as I can. Sounds like a money pit to me. Thanks, everyone!