Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

1181920212224»

Comments

• peggy1058peggy1058 Posts: 4
    I replaced my o2 censor on my 03 Honda civic hybrid a couple of months ago and now I'm having transmission problems and being told the shudder can't be fixed and I need to new transmission. I have under 100,000 miles on my car!!!
  • rossfreerossfree Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    I had the same problem on my 2006 Civic Hybrid CVT (transmission). Every time I accelerate from a stop, the transmission would "rumble" or "shutter" as though it were slipping (and grabbing). It would last maybe one or two seconds and then it was fine, until the next time I accelerated from a stop.

I scanned the web for solutions and kept hearing about changing the transmission fluid. So I did. I purchased $50 of transmission fluid from Honda and the shutter went away! Gone! BAZINGA!

It has been about two years and the shutter is back. I haven't gone to get any more fluid yet but I will. I'm pretty confident it will correct the shutter problem again.

Try changing the transmission fluid before you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to let them "fix" it. I can surely live with $50 a year in fluid costs.

Best of luck!

Ross
  • stan29stan29 Posts: 13
    Peggy, if you have read any of the last 400 or so messages, we are all in the same boat. This model Honda has been recalled in Japan, but our government has allowed them to slide in the US. Honda wants $3500 parts and labor to replace a transmission ( CVT). I replaced one at 60K, another at 90K and have needed another for the last 50,000 miles (currently at 190 K. I refuse to pay them that. You might try local transmission repair shops. Perhaps they can do better for you such as fixing first gear if that is your problem as it is mine. Honda did not fix this problem from 2003 model through 2005. Not until 2006 did they resolve the issue. Clearly a defect. There is a class action lawsuit for a trivial issue of erroneous mpg estimates in their advertising. I'm still getting 40-50 mpg. Why can't some one do something about our serious problem with the transmissions? Anyone know a good lawyer???
  • wds13196wds13196 Posts: 8
    If your wanting to keep the car look into Honda tsb 149 and 150. You will need to replace both the starter clutch and the valve body, after that change the cvt fluid when you change the oil. A lawsuit forced Honda to up the warranty on the tranny to 7 year 100k, your outside of that and they are not likely to help, but I never hurts to ask.
  • peggy1058peggy1058 Posts: 4
    Thank you very much for the information and for your response. Who would you suggest I go to at Honda for getting any potential help with this problem. Do you know what the cost of these repairs you suggest would be? Also, you don't mention doing anything to the actual transmission? I took it into the dealership yesterday to have the transmission fluid changed and, after explaining the problem, they told me it could make the problem worse if I changed the fluid? So I didn't. Any information is helpful. Thanks!
  • I'm so glad I found your post in response to mine! Actually I WAS TOLD BY HONDA DEALERSHIP that changing my transmission fluid "could actually make it worse"!!! No kidding! I think I'm going back tomorrow and having the fluid changed and see what happens and then think about a new car! Thanks for the tip and why would they advise me the way they did??? The symptoms my car is having are identical to what you experienced. Thanks again.
  • My beloved 2005 civic hybrid started having the 'jutter' problems about a year ago - at about 120,000 miles. My dealer 'burnished' the flywheel or clutch or something and it was good for another 8 months. Started again and I had it 're-burnished'. That lasted for about 3 months and now at 143,000 miles, it is making a whining noise with acceleration. Sounds like a tranny to me... I had it diagnosed at the dealer and they told me I need a new transmission. They quoted me $4800. Yikes! The same dealer did replace the IMA batteries at 105,000 miles under extended class action warranty so I thought I would be good for at least 200,000. I found another dealer who said he would do it for $4400. I shopped around, found a Honda certified transmission guy in Mission Viejo (SoCalAutomotive.net) who would do it for $3300. Since I love my car so much, and I think I have at least $50,000 more miles (and I work at home and don't drive that much), I shelled out for it. Got my car back today and it purrs like a kitten. 45+ miles to the gallon for over 8 years. It looks brand new still to me... got the leather seats at purchase... had the car pool stickers in Calif for over 6 years... dream come true. Love this car and now plan to drive it for 5 more years, at least!