Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hi. No, I didn't replace the gasket, and when I put the cleaned EGR valve back on there didn't seem to be any problem with the gasket. Of course, if you wind up replacing the EGR entirely (if the clean-out doesn't fix the bucking problem), it's probably a good idea to put on a new gasket as well.
  • My Civic Hybrid transmisison "issue" on my 2003 auto, is being corrected now - the Honda service manager said it is covered by a Honda extended warranty issued on all 2003 (perhaps more model years) Civic Hybrids at no cost to the owner.
  • bbb99bbb99 Posts: 55
    Could we get some more info on this? Are you saying if I have any problems with my tranny in my 03 HCH I will be covered?
  • Hi. I have an automatic 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. About a week ago my 'Brake System' light came on and about a day after that when I turned on the car, my gearshift locked up. It was absolutely stuck - it wouldn't budge and the button on the shifter wouldn't give an inch. It took a couple of minutes of turning the car off and on before it worked. Since then, it's hit or miss...sometimes I can get out of park immediately, sometimes it's the same two minute struggle to get it into gear.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a problem like this? I can't get to the dealer until the weekend at the earliest. Is this some sort of defensive mechanism that's coming on because there's something seriously wrong with my brakes? (I got had the brakes checked when I got my oil changed a month ago and the mechanic said there was nothing wrong).
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I don't think you problem is transmission-related, per se. Likely a problem with the shift-lock mechanism?
  • Hi all!
    Just got rid of a huge gas guzzler chevy truck and purchased a 2004 AT HCH w/ 77K miles on it. Love the car and ESPECIALLY the MPG!
    I 've only had it a month, and been reading the threads about the CVTs. Every now and then, my green drive indicator dot flashes momentarily, then returns to a steady state. I'm thinking of changing the CVT fluid myself (I'm fairly mechanical)and seeing if that solves the problem, before going any further w/ the burnishing technique the dealer uses.
    I haven't been to the dealer yet, but before I go was curious about some questions.

What is the powertrain warranty on the HCH?
    Are there any service bulletin related to this year or CVT in general?
    Are there any recommended extended service warranties (from you folks)to pursue?
    Any other issues (I've also seen the threads on the EGR valve) I need to be aware of ?
    BTW, love the forum, lots of GREAT information!
  • Can someone explain further the shuttering noise mentioned in this post? I own a 2003 HCH now for approx 6 months. Over the past 30 days I am hearing a terrible noise upon acceleration. I don't have any slipping or bucking, just the terrible noise on acceleration. Also it takes a second or two to engage from park to drive or reverse. Is this the CVT problem that has been mentioned so often. I have approx 70k miles. Not sure if Honda is backing this problem but I hope they don't give me problems due to me not being the original owner. I'm in PHX if anyone has any feedback of good dealers to work with.
  • It sounds to me like you have the CVT belt slippage problem that you will see mentioned about 118 times on this web string. Honda has issued an extended warrantee to 100,000 miles. Just go to any Honda dealer for the service. The first time around you'll likely get the "burnish" treatment. I'm currently 6,000 miles past that treatment with only an occasional slip at higher speeds characterized by a brief "buck"...then nothing...and not really reproducible. Anyway that noise your hearing "sounds" to me like the classic problem. Good luck!
  • Have a 2004 Civic Hybrid with 137k miles on it. Fortunate enough that I was able to befriend someone from a Hona Dealership to be able to give me some information regarding this so called transmission problem. Unfortunately, when I went through Honda warranty I was unable to get assistance because I'm 37k miles over their limit, but I thought maybe I can help others who are experiencing problems to get theirs taken cared of. Hence, make Honda pay for subpar qualities that they now employ... WARNING!!! If considering a Hybrid, you might as well buy a Prius... I know I should have...

Honda came out with the following information below... years after they might have known of the problem which may have caused a lot of people a lot of money and frustration.
    Cars Covered:
    01-05 Civic GX with CVT - All
    01-05 Civic HX with CVT - All
    03-05 Civic Hybrid with CVT - All
    01-05 Insight with CVT - All

Background:
    "On affected vehicles, a momentary judder may be felt after accelerating from a stop, but only up to about 15 mph. The most likely cause of the judder is a worn start clutch in the CVT (continuously variable transmission). To increase customer confidence, American Honda is extending the warranty for this potential problem to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This extended warranty covers only CVT start clutch judder below 15 mph and CVT drive belt slippage (see Service Bulletin 07-050, Warranty Extension: CVT Drive Belt Slippage). Any other customer complaints with the CVT are covered by the normal 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle warranty.

This waranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss, or any that has been issued a salvage, branded, or similar title under any state's law."

"Out of Warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
    In short, if you're having this problem, get it to the dealership asap. You don't want to go out of this warranty. If you do, it'll cost you a lot of money and time. The labor alone on changing the CVT starter clutch was quoted to be about $800.00 if you were going to pay out of pocket, and the CVT starter clutch kit is only available through their Controlled Parts Ordering System where you can only guess how much it it will cost you...

I hope that this information might be helpful to someone. Let us know how your experience went.
  • Any chance you can post the details of the 07-050 Service Bulletin?
    Would really be helpful. I'm sure Honda will not even send the notice to those of us who are over 100K miles. Appreciate any further details. Like to be as well prepared as possible when seeking goodwill consideration.
  • Unfortunately, I don't have the exact details on the 07-050 Service Bulletin.

However, after talking to Honda Warranty, they had stated that if you were experiencing this particular problem and that you're pretty close to 100k mile mark even if over, they might reconsider your car for goodwill consideration.

If it's really out of warranty, a Goodwill Warranty maybe extended through your Honda Service department with the approval of a District Parts and Service Manager. They may not cover the whole deal but it helps a whole lot when they can purchase the part under "warranty" price and work something out for the labor cost as well.
  • I have a new 07 Civic Hybrid (I'm told it is 08 spec) that has shown some of the bucking that is reported elsewhere in this forum.

Yesterday things got "interesting". As I entered a toll tunnel during peak-hour the car would not change out of the lowest "gear" (I know it's a CVT transmission, but gear will have to do). I managed to gear out of the tunnel by travelling at 45km/h with the engine screaming at 5,500rpm. At a set of lights at the other end of the tunnel I attempted to take off only to find that the transmission was now stuck in the highest gear. This meant that I crawled away from the lights at about 2km/h with the engine at idle speed. I found a parking spot and called the dealer who sent a truck to collect it.

Today I called the dealer who tells me that they can't find anything wrong with it and that there are no known problems like this. They said they will reset the ECU and I should pick it up later today.

Has anyone had similar problems? If so what was done to fix it?

Thanks

Ian
  • bbb99bbb99 Posts: 55
    So, I had my EGR valve replaced by honda on my 03 HCH about a year ago. Can I get reimbursed? I had the shudder up to 15 mph too!
  • From what is states on the Bulletin, you can contact Honda Warranty to get some sort of a reimbursement if they approve it and if it's related to this particular service warranty.
  • I am also wondering what was done to fix this issue. Last night my 03 civic hybrid did a similar thing - I was accelerating from a stop and a certain point my rpms jumped between 5-6k. I was able to pull off into a shopping center and shut off the car. I let it sit and then started it up again and drove around the parking lot and it seemed ok so drove it home (which wasn't too far away and the dealership was closed by that time) and didn't have it happen again.
    I took it to the dealership this morning, they told me they can't find anything wrong with it but they did notice that they should replace my start clutch judder and showed me the same service bulletin as posted on another post. So I'm still driving around with the problems and I have to wait until the dealership gets the parts so the judder can be fixed next week. The guy told me that if the computer doesn't register an error and/or they can't replicate the issue they can't do much about it other than give it back to me and see if it happens again (which means if it happens again it may be a bigger problem).

I'm still disappointed that I took my car in in Sept for the bucking issue - they couldn't find anything wrong yet they had this bulletin so it could've been fixed earlier. At least its still falls under the warranty.
  • In response to what you had written: My car never had the problem of having the 5-6k rpm while accelerating. What I had was a judder upon acceleration which was felt through the drive train. When I took my car in to get serviced, the dealership found that they didn't need to replace the starter clutch because they followed the routine as indicated by the service bulletin to resurface the burnishings. After they did that, it eliminated the judder so they didn't need to do anything with the starter clutch. However, I was advised to keep watch since it may reoccur. The service on my car was a done a few weeks ago and now having a slight judder upon accelaration. Slight enough that a person unfamiliar with the problem would not notice.
  • joanyque; I started this thread back in 2006 after a harrowing experience with a '03 transmission (44,000 miles) that failed while driving. Glad that it has been a "vehicle" for others to vent on the transmission problems they have had with the Honda Civic Hybrid 03 and other models. With all the problems recorded it would seem like it is time for Honda to issue a recall at least of the 03 transmissions before there is a fatality recorded. As a follow up for my situation they have just agreed to reimburse me for 1/2 of the transmission cost (not for labor and it was for a refurbished one at that). Given other responses I am not sure I should settle for 1/2. Also, it is interesting that they said the reimbursement was for my past loyalty to Honda and not due to a faulty transmission! I have appreciated reading all the other comments also.
  • I spoke with American Honda today about my car's repeated problems (same issues covered in this forum) and they informed me that an extended warranty has been issued for 03 HCH covering the CVT problems up to 7 years/100K Mi. They noted it only covers certain issues (unspecified over the phone), but I have an appointment with my dealer (Clinton Honda, NJ) and will report about the results.

BTW I'm at 5 years, 77K miles and struggling to get up hills. Bucking, shaking, etc. all make my driving experience very unconformable.
  • Hello all:

Great forum and information.

My 2004 Civic Hybrid is in for service as I type. This will be the thrid time for this shuddering issue. First time was back in October, and they did the burnishing thing, and then the problem came back, so I brough it back in December, and they told me they could not find the problem. It is my daughters car, so I traded with her for the past month to see for myself, and the problem happens quit often, and more so when the car goes into sleep mode approaching a stop.

Anyway, armed with all this data from the forum, I will be certain to hold the dealers feet to the issue. I also took it to a differnt Honda dealer this time, because I think the former dealer got kind of tired of trying to figure it out. I am amazed as well that the Honda dealer I went to seemed pretty unaware of the extent and commonness of this problem.

Seems to me that Honda has an issue of a design flaw that they are just muddling through with until they can produce a better transmission for future models. They seem a bit lost as to how to really fix it, and I question whether new transmissions really mean much in this case, just my opinion.

I will also echo the 35 to 42 MPH, because that is all we really get. As far as I know a regular Civic will probably give you 35+ if you're careful, so what is this with the sticker at 47/48. I never saw that on a tankful.
  • kemtidkemtid Posts: 6
    Hi Folks,

My Hybrid says its time for a transmission fluid change. I called the Local Honda dealer for their price $89.95, which includes just draining out the old and putting in 3 new quarts of CVT Fluid. Or I could Buy 3 qts from Them at $15.95 Per QT! With my Car Buyer Discount ( 10% off List Price). I also asked about some Honda Antifreeze as I have a Odyssey that I maintain and they wanted $15.12/gal. I just Settled for 2 Drain Plug Washers for $1.74 Each. And Walked Out! What Nerve these People Have! Anyway, I found a Online Dealer through the pages here. Try:

www.bernardiparts.com

The CVT Fluid was $6.77/qt (and I got 6 qts just in case I do the double draining)
    Antifreeze $9.99/gal
    Honda Brake Fluid $3.58
    Shipping was $12..77
    total: $66.99

Still Better than $89.95!

Damn Car Dealers :mad:

Kevin in CT

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid
    2003 Honda Odyssey
    2003 Honda Civic Hybrid SOLD in 2006 for $16K with 50K miles