Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 4x4 Questions

Comments

• kegabearkegabear Posts: 5
    it kicked into 4 hi..i have unplugged the solenoid and will take it out for a test once i have replaced the parts...tough to tell which one malfunctioned so i guess to be safe i'll replace them all..i know its all in sync but dam..should be some kinda failsafe speed so it doesnt kick in above like 50-60 mph
    thanks for your help!
  • I have an 03 Silverado Z71 ext. cab. and just recently the 4wd system has been acting up...

I have the AutoTrac system and when I go to turn the truck on, sometimes it says it is in 4wd, auto or neutral. It then tells me to service 4wd, no other lights are on and I'm not turning on anything...

Most the time it is normal and in 2wd when I turn it on.

Mechanically the sytem works like normal when I want to go 4wd I just push the button as normal and it works...
  • Mine is 2004, but does the same thing. Have had it fixed twice under warranty (now out of warranty)and happening again. There is a Tech service bulletin on this, your mechanic friend should be able to pull it up on his computer
  • I noticed today that my transmission was in 4H as I was driving down the freeway. Not sure how it got there and not sure how many miles I drove it this way. Is this an issue with this knob? Further, have I damaged the vehicle?
  • geno57geno57 Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 gmc 1500 4x4 it makes a whining noise at any speed it gets louder at highway speeds and the truck has 214,000 miles
  • geno57

You've probably got a bad bearing somewhere but without more info. it is impossible to diagnose. Could be wheel bearing, transmission, transfer case, rear diff. Does it vary with vehicle speed or engine speed? Example: If it's a power steering pump it will make the noise under the hood even though the vehicle isn't moving. Rev the engine with the hood up and listen. If there is no noise it is somewhere in the drive train. You could put all 4 corners up on jack stands, have someone put the truck in Drive, and listen to each wheel bearing as the wheels turn, and crawl around underneath and see where the noise is coming from - transmission, transfer case, etc. Be careful with that, make sure the truck is secure before doing anything like that, and don't get any loose clothing near any spinning items in the drive train. Even if you find the location of the noise it might not be something you can repair yourself unless you are very sophisticated, in which case you probably already know what I've just told you. Good luck.

1offroader
  • grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140
    2004 Sierra auto. manual 4x4 shift on the hump.
    I have been told,and the manual says that i can "shift on the fly" from 2 wd to 4wheel high at any speed below something like 45 miles per hour,and back. When i try to shift from 2 wheel to 4 wheel at say 25 mph ,its like shifting a standard tranny without the clutch.
    I guess i'm expecting that the S.O.F. to be smooth. Truck has done this since new, especially when cold. Manual says you can shift while truck is in motion.
    Thoughts from 4x4'rs appreciated.
  • djm10djm10 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 2500 crew cab duramax 4x4, my father in law has the same truck and my brother in law has a 2001 2500 crew cab 4x4 with the 8.1l in it and we all have had problems with front wheel hub assemblies going out. both me and my father in law have replaced both sides twice in 46K miles on our trucks and the othe truck one set. All the trucke have 4" Rancho lifts and 305-70-16 tires of different brands.The bearing are National brand that we've been using(National beening a repitable company). Has any body had the same problems or can you refer me to another site to discuss this, Thanks.
  • Any thoughts on what will happen to the new boxed frames that cannot drain well or be readily flushed out, after several years on the heavily salted roads of the Northeast?
  • I Changed the Actuator but the 4X4 Wont Luck In. Someone told me that it has another switch but I cant find it Please Help.
  • I have a 1999 GMC 2500 just had the wheeling bearings replaced by the dealer at 90,000 apx miles. Cost $1000

Also sector shaft bearing in the transfer case replaced again by dealer $ 610. The sector shaft connects the transfer case motor.

Personally my opinion, with the thousands of dollars I've spent on 4wd repair and the additional cost to the truck purchase for auto 4wd.

GM should go back to manual shift, they cannot seem to get it right.
  • my 1999 gmc 2500 has a transfer case motor that shifts the 4wd as well as the actuator on the front axle.

it could be the actuator motor on the transfer case that is your problem or it could be my most recent problem the sector shaft bearing in the transfer case.
  • Thank you For Your Info I Will Look At Some To Look For This Parts
  • Hello everyone,
    I am new to the board, and have looked for a similar problem as mine, but can not find one.
    I have a 2005 Z 71, with push button, 4WD, and the "auto" mode. I drive in 2wd, 30 minutes, 75mph, each way to work. Tranny works fine (with chevy's normal rough shifting) The other day I noticed the red light next to "neutral" was on instead of the amber light next to 2 Hi. The truck was running fine, and when I pushed the 2wd button, amber flashed for a few seconds, and went off. I pulled over, shut off the motor, restarted, and it apperantly reset. I thought life was good. Now I have noticed the red light on three more times, and it doesn't reset by simply restarting. It is very random when it is on, or off.

Any simmilar stories or advice?
  • I have a 4wd 1999 Gmc sierra 1500 and for some reason there are no push buttons in the dash. Does anyone know where i can buy any?
  • good thing i wasnt waiting on some help from you people never mind,i will figure it out on my own
  • My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on ! My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on !My 2002 Z71 4x4 service light is on !My 4x4 buttons do not work, and the 4x4 service light is on. I press the 4x4 buttons on the dash, and the 4x4 does not engage. Also my ABS light is on. It happened when the towed my vehicle. I am trying to work it out with the towing company.
  • I recently purchased an 04 GMC Sierra 2500 that was rolled over, after replacing the roof and other body damage (no damage to the front, rear or under carriage) I tried to engage the 4 wheel drive, the blinking lights tells me that it is engaged in 4 wheel drive. I hear it engaging in the transfer case, but the front axles do not engage. I purchased an actuator and installed it. It did not make any difference. On the highway it runs perfectly and quietly. Can you offer any suggestions on this matter?
  • The transfer case actuator that engages the 4wd is working? You replaced the actuator on the front differental housing?
    There are (2) actuators!

The blinking light should go from blinking to solid, I assume that is what is happening?

Did you reset the computer defalt after installing the new acturator? If not try that!
    (3) quick on and off turns of the ignition switch, then start it.
  • You Say Thair Is (2) Actuators. Where AreThay Located? I Only Found 1
  • I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 ext. cab with 36500 miles and after adding on to my 7 inch lift with a 3 inch body lift and new Radflo shocks all the way around, I started getting phantom warning lights lighting up like a Christmas tree. My abs, brake, security system lights go off randomly and my radio shuts off and turns back on. I also get the service 4 wheel drive and service brake system intermittently as well.

Besides the 4wd Service light, has anyone experienced this and have a suggested fix? I've tried driving with an onboard computer to pull any DTC's but no I have had no luck, it says everything is working as expected and there is nothing to clear. I even tried unhooking the battery overnight hoping a truck ferry would come by and make all my troubles go away :P

As for the 4wd / AutoTrac I pulled the switch from the dash and did not see any cracks in the solder and hooked it up to a multimeter and all is good. Would it still be a good idea to buy the new switch? I hear the transfer case motor click but it does not engage and stays on 2wd. I am able to get it to go into auto and 4wd at times so I'm leaning towards the transfer case motor. Any other suggestions? I tried hitting it lightly with a hammer as possibly the motor could have been ceased. When it's in 4wd or auto it performs normally. I was going to go buy a new motor and replace it myself but if there are any other suggestions, i'd like to save myself the 533 bux and time doing it. GM keeps telling me it's a known issue and it's either the switch or the motor and quoted around 1500.00 for all the work and testing. WTF! And i'm now over 36000 miles and out of warranty. :mad:

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!
  • One is located on the front differental housing, this is the easy one to replace. The second one is located the transfer case, (Transfer Case Encoder Motor) this one you must drop the front drive shaft to replace.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Auto-Parts-Direct-To-You/GMC/Sierra%201500%2c25- 00%2c3500/
  • One is located on the front differental housing, this is the easy one to replace. The second one is located the transfer case, (Transfer Case Encoder Motor) this one you must drop the front drive shaft to replace.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Auto-Parts-Direct-To-You/GMC/Sierra%201500%2c25- - 00%2c3500/
  • i have a 2001 1500hd and my 4x4 doesn't work i checked my hub actuator and it works (also bought a new one) and when i put it in 4x4 low the transfer case works and puts it into 2 low but the front wheels aren't grabbing. any ideas? thanks :confuse:
  • Thank You That Relly Helps So I Won't Spend So Much Mony Looking For Bad Parts
  • I just got my truck out of the shop at Chevy and after 2 days of looking at it including the switch and transfer case motor, they found that the main ground for my truck had a bad connection and was loose. They cleaned the corrosion around the ground and tightened it and all my problems were solved. I was almost to the point of getting a new transfer case motor and switch after the recommendation from Chevy, but since I had other intermittent phantom lights also going off, they called in the electrical technician to take a look. They found 44 DTC's that stated "unable to contact..." and that's how they traced the ground. Once they fixed the ground issues, my 4wheel drive and auto trac engage within 2 seconds and doesn't switch from 2wd to 4wd and vise versa.

I was also over my miles and now out of warranty by 1200 miles (37,200) and was expecting to pay the 97.00/hr rate, but my service advisor talked to his manager and they covered it under warranty to troubleshoot and fix the root cause. GO LEE JOHNSON CHEVROLET, KIRKLAND WASHINGTON!!
  • I also have the problem of my dash warning lights going on randomly, not sure what the reason.
    The dealer told me it was most likely a bad connector in the instrument panel cluster or bad cluster its self. Not much help, sorry!

Note - the last part I had replaced the (encoder motor) on the transfer case. I was told the transfer case was cracked near the selector shaft bearing. The bearing corroded causing the encoder motor to burn up.
  • I would check the main ground to see if has any corrosion or is loose. I had 44 DTC's that showed which is nearly all my modules showing bad, but they were all phantom, including the service 4wd and service brakes, etc. The ground wire was cleaned of the corrosion and tightened. I don't know how it got loose, I suspect that it was due to the lift kit and then additional body lift, but unsure since they didn't touch that at all.

Here's my recent post on my fix:
    I just got my truck out of the shop at Chevy and after 2 days of looking at it including the switch and transfer case motor, they found that the main ground for my truck had a bad connection and was loose. They cleaned the corrosion around the ground and tightened it and all my problems were solved. I was almost to the point of getting a new transfer case motor and switch after the recommendation from Chevy, but since I had other intermittent phantom lights also going off, they called in the electrical technician to take a look. They found 44 DTC's that stated "unable to contact..." and that's how they traced the ground. Once they fixed the ground issues, my 4wheel drive and auto trac engage within 2 seconds and doesn't switch from 2wd to 4wd and vise versa.

I was also over my miles and now out of warranty by 1200 miles (37,200) and was expecting to pay the 97.00/hr rate, but my service advisor talked to his manager and they covered it under warranty to troubleshoot and fix the root cause. GO LEE JOHNSON CHEVROLET, KIRKLAND WASHINGTON!!