Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 4x4 Questions

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Vince, be sure to give them props in the Dealer Ratings and Reviews section here at Edmunds!

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a Chevy 2500 4x4 with push button 4x4 and Auto 4x4. The Truck shifts into 4x4 HI, Lo and Auto 4x4 fine. However 5-10 seconds later the 4x4 service light comes on. Also I cannot shift it out of 4x4 mode - pressing the 2w button has no effect regardless of if I am in Drive, Park or Neutral. However, If I turn off the truck and then turn it back on I can press the 2w button and it will go back into 2w mode just fine. This problem happens every time I try to go into any of the three 4w modes. The repeatability of it sounds like I'm doing something wrong. I should add that the truck has a 6" lift kit and 365/65R16 tires. It also has 74K miles.

I also have another problem with hard "clunk" shifting when the transmission is upshifting. It downshifts smooth. This only happens after the truck has run for 15 - 20 minutes. After turning off the truck for 10 minutes or so, like when getting gas, it will shift smooth as silk. Any ideas. Thanks for any help.
  • Thanks kcram! I just submitted my review.
  • My guess the Transfer Case Encoder Motor is failing, sounds simular to the steps I recall to the failure of my 4wd.

The reason for the failure of the encoder motor on my 4wd was due to a bearing freezing on the sector shaft, this shaft connects to the encoder motor. The transfer case was cracked allowing water/salt to corrode the sector shaft bearing resulting in the encoder motor failure.

The transfer case crack... I don't think it was a crack from impact. I think it was a bad casting from the factory because of the location of the crack. JB weld in the crack fixed the problem along with a new sector shaft bearing and encoder motor.

link for encoder motor for your truck
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Auto-Parts-Direct-To-You/Items/1420002-gmc%20c%- 20series?

dealer cost to fix this apx. $1200.00
  • Bruce - Great information !! - Thanks very much. Do you need to pull the tranny to replace the transfer case encoder motor ? Thanks again for your information - Sal
  • i have a 2003 sierra my prob is my 4hi and 4lo dont engage but my auto 4 does work. when puttin into 4 lo it does gear down but front wheels do not engage could this be the encoder motor on the transfer case. any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I can hear it is tryin to engage when i push either the 4 hi or 4lo buttons but like i said the front wheels dont engage
  • Bruce - Here's an update. Turned out the speed sensor on the front shaft was disconnected. We hooked it back up and all is well. Thanks again for your ideas.
  • My 4 wheel drive went out this past week without any warning.
    I backed up to turn around and when I put it back into drive it made a grinding noise and the front wheels quit pulling.
    I tried several times and it would never engage again just the grinding, like gears not fully meshed.
    When I push the button it feels and acts like it engages 4hi and/or 4lo.
    I've read most of the posts on here and most just say theirs just quit working and it's the actuator motor.
    Is it possible that it is only partially engaging?
    Could it be the autolocking hubs?
    I haven't had time to check if the axles or drive line are turning, dark to work dark when I get home.
    I just need some advice for when I start on it this weekend.
    My truck has 172,000 on it and I've never had any other problems except fuel pump (twice).
    Any help in the right direction would be a greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    osweeks
  • thanks for the update!
  • for $80 apx the dealer should be able to tell you what the problem is from there you could fix it or have them do it.

Common 4wd problems

Speed sensor bad ( this is a recall on some trucks check with your dealer) - hard shifting, cluncking noise when shifting

Bad dash selector switch (bad solider or connector) - not lights lite on the selector switch.

Font axle actuator - No front wheel drive

Transfer case encoder motor - will not shift out of or go into 4hi or 4 low

my guess speed sensor or encoder motor
  • hey guys i got a 1999 1500,i started to drive the truck in 4x4 and the first 15 minutes i drove the car in 4x4 it was fine then there was clunk started in the front,i slowed down to about 5 mph and the clunk stoped.when driving in 2wd its fine but now im worried cause its snow season and i need 4wd.also it started when i made a turn if it makes a difference.
  • I found out what the grinding noise is. The splines in the front (4wd) diveshaft, where the 2 halves join, are slipping. I went to a couple of parts stores and they had never heard of that happening before. The shaft is $204 dollar with exchange, not that bad but, before I change it has anyone else heard of this happening? I would hate to change it if something else was the original problem and would just ruin another drivehaft. Any advise would be a big help.

Thanks,
    osweeks
  • Greetings Everyone! I am new to the group and looking for a little info regarding a recent problem with my truck. I have a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with 195K. Recently while troubleshooting a drivetrain vibration I have found that the front driveshaft is not disengaging. The electronic 4WD works correctly and the front wheels disengage when switching to 2WD but the front driveshaft stays engaged and turning. Any suggestions of where or what to possibly look at as the culprit?
  • I have been having a problem with my 2001 GMC Sierra C3 for about 6 months now and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get it fixed. At low speed while making sharp turns I have vigorous shaking in what seems like the front. This truck is AWD all the time instead of push button 4WD. I initially thought it was a problem with my AWD, but a guy told me yesterday that it may have something to do with my transfercase. He suggested I drain it and put more fluid in. If the problem is not resolved after that I am to go take it in and have it reprogramed. Finally if this does not work I am to have some serious maintainence done. I am interested to see if any of you truck owners can point me in the right direction. I have had numerous work done over the last including a left ball joint and bearing and a UV joint replacement. I am hoping for a simple fix, but nothing seems to be simple or inexpensive with this truck. Please Help
  • Recently took my 04 Silverado ext cab 1500 to the snow and heard this growling noise in the front end when turning. Also smelled a burnt rubber smell after I stopped. After going back to 2 Hi no problems. It is a manual 4WD transfer case switch.

Any thoughts
  • I ve seen numerous driveshafts strip the splines...usually due to lack of lubrication. I use to service loggers trucks in Northern B.C
  • I have a 2000 gmc 1500 4x4. I took it to the snow this last weekend. I noticed when i got back it was making a noise. The only time it does it is when im backing up. I thought it might still be in 4 wheel drive but the front tires dont pull. I took out the front drive line but still makes the noise. It also feels like it dosnt have as much hores power. I dont have a hole lot of money to fix it. Is there some one who can help.
  • I have a 2000 gmc 1500 4x4. I took it to the snow this last weekend. I noticed when i got back it was making a noise. The only time it does it is when im backing up. I thought it might still be in 4 wheel drive but the front tires dont pull. I took out the front drive line but still makes the noise. It also feels like it dosnt have as much horse power. I dont have a hole lot of money to fix it. Is there some one who can help.
  • It is possible your parking brake is locked on ?