Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 vs. Nissan Murano

Comments

• lilarrylilarry Posts: 13
    I had my eye on the Murano for a while. I test drove it and liked the performance very much - including the CVT. But the CX-7 has been intriguing me. So I went to the New York Auto Show Sunday to compare the two (and a few other CUVs). I went back and forth from the CX-7 to the Murano (not easy since the CX-7 was upstairs and the Muranos downstairs). Here’s what I found:

Seating position and driver comfort: CX-7 hands down. Perfect! I just can’t get completely comfortable in the Murano’s seat.

Dash: CX-7 wins again. It’s perfectly laid out and definitely cool. The Murano dash pod looks like an out-of-place plastic toy

Looks: The Murano is a great looking vehicle, but I like the CX-7 better. And they don’t really look all that much alike.

Cargo Space: The Murano wins all the way. Don’t buy a CX-7 if you plan on hauling much with the rear seats up - or even down.

Rear Seating: Murano wins. CX-7 rear seating is sparse by comparison. The Murano’s rear seats even recline!

Quality/Feel – Externally they seem about equal. Inside, The CX-7 feels solid and of high quality in the driver and front passenger areas. Rear seat and cargo areas seem cheap and flimsy. The Murano seems the reverse: Cargo and rear seating high quality, driver and front passenger areas cheap and flimsy – especially the dash and center console storage area. Go figure!

I have to say, after the auto show I am definitely less interested in the Murano and more interested in the CX-7. Of course, a test drive will still be required.
  • ctxctx Posts: 50
    I'm with you. I'm a long time Mazda fan but went with Murano due to a. time on market, b. cargo space, c. awesome to drive and d. awesome discounts.

Love my new Platinum Touring pkg. For the short term, I suspect I paid slightly less than MSRP on a similiarly equipt CX-7.. but who cares? I love my new car.

p.s. I traded from a Miata. Go figure :)
  • lilarrylilarry Posts: 13
    Forgot a few of things:

Memory Power Driver's Seat: Murano has it, CX-7 doesn't.

Power Passenger Seat: Murano has it, CX-7 doesn't.

Dual Climate Control: Murano has it, CX-7 doesn't.

Roof Rack: Murano has it, CX-7 doesn't.

Towing Capacity: Murano tows 3500lbs - enough for a 19 foot boat with capacity to spare. CX-7 tows 2000lbs - enough for a jet ski or maybe two.

Premium Bose Stereo Systems: Both the CX-7 and Murano have premium sound from Bose. But the Murano's subwoofer is attached to the spare tire and must be removed to get to the spare ... and it sounds like its in a garbage can. I can't believe that was the best Nissan/Bose could do! They should be ashamed of that one. I didn't get to hear the CX-7 stereo but, looking it over it is certainly designed better, with 9 speakers including dual subwoofers in the doors and plenty of power. (I can tell you that the basic stock stereo in the Mazda 3 blows the doors off the Murano's Bose premium)

Sirius or XM: CX-7-Sirius only. Murano gives you your choice of either. Neither gives you HD radio (which would be my choice).

Smart Key - Murano's is more like the usual key fob we are used to. CX-7 is more like a fat credit card - fits better in a shirt pocket.

Hmmm - The Murano may be starting to look better again - just a little though..
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Roof Rack: Murano has it, CX-7 doesn't.

You can get the following as an accessories from Mazda for the CX-7:

Bike carrier, roof rack mounted.
    Cargo box, roof mounted
    Ski/snowboard rack, roof mounted.
    Roof luggage basket
  • One feature that my wife loved about our 2006 MO is the adjustable pedals, in which I don't know of any other import SUV that has it.
  • disladisla Posts: 55
    My answer to the above comparison:
    I disagree that Murano's dashboard layout and front seat position lose to Mazda. First of all, Murano uses much better materials, such as real aluminum and chrome on door handles and shifter. In comparison, Mazda's interior is made completely out of VERY CHEAP hard plastic. Furthermore, everyone seems to have forgotten about great Murano's graphic interface on the STANDARD 7in-LCD, that, by the way, also offers a rear view camera as a part of its Touring Package. Mazda doesn't have any of it available. I love Murano's graphics, when using 6-in-dash mp3 changer, as well as settings menu that lets you adjust pretty much all of the computer-controlled options.
    I recently leased my second Murano, first being a 2003 one, as I saw no alternative to it in this class and price range.
    and yeah, Mazda has a MUCH smaller interior AND cargo room!
  • ctxctx Posts: 50
    While I am with you (love the Murano)would like to point out that Standard LCD/back-up cam comes with every model of Murano (not just with Touring pkg). Also CX-7 does offer LCD but back-up cam only with the Technology package which is a 4K adder.
  • syadastisyadasti Posts: 24
    But the CX7 is cheaper when similarly equipped, handles/brakes better (read: blows the Murano away in slalom and 60-0 braking numbers), better ergonomics, and IMHO nicer looking interior and exterior.

From the Edmunds.com performance test database:

Mazda CX-7
    60-0 braking: 112.9 ft !!
    Slalom: 64.3 mph !
    0-60 acc 7.7 s
    quarter 15.9 s

Nissan Murano
    60-0 Braking 123.6 ft
    Slalom 60.7 mph
    0-60 acc 8.2 s
    quarter 16.2 s

No contest, Murano has minivan performance compared to a CX-7 ;)
    well, it's much smaller and lighter, too.
  • rennie4rennie4 Posts: 52
    0-60 mph 7.4s
    0-100 mph 21.8s
    1/4 Mile 15.7 s @ 88 mph
    Top Speed 116 mph
    Gas Mileage 20 MPG City / 25 MPG Highway

The performance of the mazda are not gonna sway me away from the murano. The muranos numbers are not that far behind for me to stray away from a better all around vehicle.
    I totally agree. If you were looking for a vehicle based purely on its performance data, you wouldn't be looking into a crossover segment. Utility and comfort matter a lot!
    Why do you need a crossover with such a small cargo(compare ~59c.ft for Mazda vs. ~84 for Murano) as well as very low back seat
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Well I guess Mazda should cancel the CX-7 since the experts have spoken. Of course there is no need to actually drive the CX-7 to make a legit comparison.
    Oh, please, why be sarcastic? We are not disputing the existence of CX-7, just comparing it to another vehicle.
    CX-7 would definitely appeal to people that need a smaller SUV with a good performance and don't necessarily need a big cargo room or a comfortable back seat.
  • unixxusunixxus Posts: 97
    "CX-7 would definitely appeal to people that need a smaller SUV with a good performance and don't necessarily need a big cargo room or a comfortable back seat."

Since I doubt you have sat in the back seat of the Cx-7 for any length of time, how did you come to the conclusion that it is uncomfortable? I would also not classify the cargo room of the Murano as 'big'. If cargo room is such a priority for me, The Murano will not be on my list.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    It easy to be sarcastic when people are making such direct comparisons without driving the vehicle. Without a test drive the comparisons don't really mean much..After 20+ years in the car biz I have seen alot people do endless statistical comparisons that end up meaning nothing after one 15 minute test drive.
    You shouldn't have doubts, that was the first vehicle I actually thoroughly inspected at the NY Autoshow, as I was genuinely interested in comparing it to the Murano (my lease on 2003 Murano was about to expire). You can guess that I leased a 2006 Murano after being able to compare the two. I do regret that I wasn't able to drive CX-7, but again, cosidering ALL of the factors, I went for the Murano. Moreover, CX-7 is a brand new model with yet unknown reliability compared to Murano. I also wanted the features that Murano offers and that would only be available as a part of CX-7 Technology package(with Nav System that I didn't need): MP3-capable changer, intelligent key security system, rear view camera. Oops, sorry, the first one isn't even available on CX-7, not sure about the intelligent key.
    You should have mentioned earlier that you have been more than "20+ years in the car biz". Why aren't you also saying that you are simply trying to sell this car?? That actually disqualifies you as an unbiased consumer, you are just a sponsor.
  • unixxusunixxus Posts: 97
    You should have mentioned earlier that you have been more than "20+ years in the car biz". Why aren't you also saying that you are simply trying to sell this car?? That actually disqualifies you as an unbiased consumer, you are just a sponsor.

I guess by that same token, you are also disqualified as an unbiased consumer since you own a Murano. Seems like you are trying to justify your purchase by highlighting your perceived shortcomings of the Mazda Cx-7.
    man, you are really funny :)
    Of course I am a consumer, the one who makes the choice.
    unlike me, you don't really choose what to sell if you work for a certain dealership. Whatever you blame me for, I just expressed my unbiased opinion, everyone is entitled to one. I didn't have to purchase the same car again, why would I even look at the CX-7 then? Well, i don't really want to make it a personal discussion, let me add that an upcoming CX-9 looks MUCH better, inside and out, it's much closer to the Murano from a size and features stand point, and would probably be priced even higher. Maybe I'd get myself one after my current lease is up?
    Good Luck with selling Mazda, but don't publsih any "consumer" reviews on cars, the ones you are selling or competing ones. :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Of course I am a consumer, the one who makes the choice.
    unlike me, you don't really choose what to sell if you work for a certain dealership

That would hold true only if you were to walk into a dealership looking for a job, not caring about the product. However, if he chose to sell Mazda, because he likes the product, that is totally different. It's just like buying one, and being a customer.

upcoming CX-9 looks MUCH better, inside and out, it's much closer to the Murano from a size and features stand poin

CX-9 is much bigger. More along the lines of the Honda Pilot. The Murano is rather small as far as SUV's go. So is the CX-7. If you were looking for cargo room, neither would be on my list. I would opt for a 4-Runner, Explorer, Pilot, CX-9.

On another note. I sell Mazda's, and I am a Mazda owner. So, do I have the right to give a "customer" review? :P :confuse: