Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Well, our CX-7's were supposed to be released from port on May 19th. They are still there. No word yet on when they will release them.
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Hi Aviboy,

My dealer also indicated the same May 19th date as released from port. There must be an issue holding up their release. Mazda I am sure does not want to miss the
    Memorial Day sales opportunity. I e-mailed Mazda yesterday
    but they were vague with only a comment of May week 5.
    Hope they come in the next few weeks as we already sold our H Accord. :confuse:
    I just hope they get here soon. It would not be good for Mazda to wait too long, because there is a lot of buzz out there about this vehicle, and you do not want it to wear off. Everyone want's it. You don't want to give potential customers a chance to get sold on another brand because they just can't wait anymore. We are in the prime selling season right now. People do not like to wait.
    Local Los Angeles dealer called today and said they got their first CX-7 in a lunch today, with three more on next truck. Going for a test drive tomorrow. Will post review after drive. :)
    I just saw that a couple of our CX-7's were released from the port on the 25th. We should be receiving them any day now!!
  • I just got in our first CX-7 yesterday afternoon...INCREDIBLE MACHINE!!!

ZOOM ZOOM!!!
    Got a call on Friday 5/26 that local dealer had received their first CX-7. Wife and I went out yesterday for a test drive. Their unit was a GT FWD with Moonroof/Bose package in Silver Metallic, with the sand leather and GT seats. Dealer was Norco Mazda in So Calif. First off the car really looks great in person every time I see one.
    Rear seat legroom was much better that I expected, I'm 6'2". Seat materials and comfort were first rate but I'm not a big fan of the accent stripe. Door and dash materials had a nice upscale appearance, but the plastics were on the hard side. Rear cup holders are in the fold down center seat armrest. Rear seats are real easy to fold and the storage space is more than enough for us weather the seats are up or down.

On the road is where this vehicle shines. Ride is firm but not jarring. The transmission shifts smoothly, and with six speeds you always feel that it finds the right gear for the job. Did not play with the manual shift mode on this test. There is a noticeable growl from the engine under hard acceleration, but at anything below half throttle the engine is smooth and quiet. Brakes, as previously reviewed are first rate with smooth short stops. Road noise on the freeway was low (Goodyears)and it looks like they had added extra insulation in the wheel wells. Visability is excellent all around, but it is tough to gauge where the front bumper is.

Dealer said that they should be receiving 3 more later in the afternoon. They were willing to sell for sticker on this car which I thought was ok for it being one of the only cars delivered in the area. Looking forward to the arrival of our CX-7 which we pre ordered, and is due in next week. :)
    Just got back for picking up our CX-7. Dealer recieved them late friday 5/26 but did not have a PDI crew working on the Holiday weekend. Purchased Grand Touring FWD with Moonroof/Bose. Had pre-ordered the car back in October
    and it had 4/06 build date with a vin# of 4500. Ours came with Goodyears so we did not have to ask for any changes. Even though we were their 1st CX-7 sold at the dealer we got a discount off MSRP due to our order being placed over 6 months ago. Too late today for pics. Got to go Zoom Zoom :)
    Congrads on your new CX-7! Let us know how you like it!
  • surge1surge1 Posts: 8
    so what are the actual prices paid? im especially interested in the lease prices.
  • turks406turks406 Posts: 1
    I just got a quote of $465 (NY) on a grand touring awd with tech package. Their asking for $5212.00 down payment that includes 1st month, sec., tax and dest. fee. Way out of control!!!!! Looking to get quotes from other dealerships.
    I also am a returning lease customer (tribute) preapproved.
  • cx7byercx7byer Posts: 9
    Hi
    I just saw my Mazda dealer and he said it could take up to four months to order a new CX-7. I was amazed. Hopefully, I can find one in the showroom which is the model I want (touring model in black cherry with tech package) :)
    Hopefully, I can find one in the showroom which is the model I want (touring model in black cherry with tech package)

You might have better luck finding a CX-7 in the Grand Touring Model for only $800 more. You get the GT seats, Xenon headlights, chrome door handles, fog lamps, auto on and off headlights, exterior thermometer, leather wrapped steering wheel with piano-black accents, with a few other features.

To be honest, I would pay the $800 to have the car now, and not wait 4 months. That is only $13 extra dollars a month minus interest on a 60 mo finance.
  • rinarmrinarm Posts: 10
    Your Mazda representative is probably correct if you were to place an all new order. I ordered a 2003 Mazda6 and it took about 110 days and it was manufactured in the US. However, based upon a side by side online CX-7 orders review at my Dealership last Thursday, here's how an existing vehicle order may be changed and possibly speed up the delivery process.
    If the car is in production (past the scheduled production date), obviously there can be no changes other than what the Dealer can install. If the car is scheduled but not in production, the color may be changed but equipment (model, accessories) cannot be changed. If the vehicle has been ordered, but not yet scheduled for production, almost everything on the order can be changed. So, your Dealer Rep may not know how to or want to change an order which may reduce the delivery time. My Dealer sales representative is also the New Car Manager and thereby has direct access to the orders database.
    The Dealership obtained 3 (2 GT AWD, and 1 GT FWD) CX-7s last Wednesday. Both of the AWDs have been sold (one of them to myself). During the online orders review, it appeared that the Dealership has numerous CX-7s on order which would seem appropriate for the pipeline. I would assume that your Dealer must have some future orders that may be subject to the changes I've outlined. I would also completely agree with aviboy97, the GT is worth it. I belive you'll find a better selection with the GT. Good luck.
  • Yeah baby! A GT AWD with Tech package sits beautifully in my driveway. True Silver Metallic. I'll try to prepare a complete review of the Nav system in the next few days as I learn it a bit more. I had arguably the best Nav in my former Acura TL 04 so the bar is high for me.
  • cx7byercx7byer Posts: 9
    Hello,
    Thank you for your advice... the Cx-7's in my area will be arriving on the eleventh so I will definitely check out the GT models, that will probably be my choice when I buy in July.
    Have a great week!
    I hope you find the CX-7 you are looking for. Good luck!
  • jbuswelljbuswell Posts: 16
    Quick Glance:

- Visually Stunning
    - Great Interior
    - Good overall acceleration / performance for an SUV
    - Con: Requires 91 octane gas!!
    - Con: AWD has poor gas milage (city: ~12, highway ~14, way off the advertised!
    - Con: Rear bumper isn't very strong
    - Con: Some dealers won't budge from MSRP (some over)

Advice: WAIT! Dealers will be overstocked soon. Dealer admitted close to 30 people test drove the CX-7 in 4 days, and nobody wanted to buy it. Why? 91 octane requirement was a big big problem for a lot of people with the gas prices, especially when the dealer won't budge from MSRP.

I got the opportunity to test drive the CX-7 yesterday. I didn't pre-order because I didn't want to sacrifice my 2003 Mazda 6s, if the CX-7 performance wasn't good. I own another SUV with a 3.4l V6, and it can accelerate pretty well, so I was hoping the CX-7's 2.3l turbo would be half-way decent.

The CX-7 is a visually nice car, its not as tall as I expected and the front is at a much steeper angle than it looks in the photos. The interior style is clean, there is a good command of the road, and the view from the drivers seat is pretty decent.

Performance wise its good. It accelerates well from a stop. It seems to struggle a bit when accelerating (foot down) once in motion in 2nd / 3rd gear. Its extremely quiet. Sales guy tried to say it was as good accelerating as the 6s, 6i yes, 6s, no way. Would I sacrifice the 6s performance for the bigger vehicle more family functional vehicle, maybe. I'll have to see if the lighter FWD Sport gets better gas milage.

Considering the gas milage issues, I would definately wait. I called around a couple of dealers in the state to see if anyone had the FWD model, and I'm going to test drive one later today.

Before the test drive the dealer's sales guy was like:

- Nobody has these
    - We won't budge from MSRP
    - 6-8 week minimum on orders
    - Everyone is coming to look at this
    - Everyone wants the AWD sport model (which is why the one they have isn't sold)
    - Gas milage on FWD and AWD is the same

Now the gas milage thing seemed off to me. I bought the 2WD model of my SUV with traction control in 2001 because the gas milage was 4-6 miles off on the 4WD model. This seems on par with lots of other car manufacturers. So I was interested in finding out why the AWD model had the same gas milage.

Answer: IT DOESN'T!

If you are driving it downhill with your foot off the gas, then maybe. But in a realistic drive around town, the CX-7 AWD got about 10 - 12 MPG. Due to some construction, one way streets etc, and the sales guy trying to make the sale, we ended up on about an hour long test drive.

91 octane is a requirement, at around $3.00 a gallon (was up as high as $3.25 around here a few weeks ago), that can get expensive fast. Compared to the SUV I have now, its pretty much double the gas costs.

Something to keep in mind, and a good way to get the dealer down on the price.

After the test drive, I was in a much better position. The dealer didn't evn try to sell me the AWD model, they started to talk ordering the FWD model and offering $600 over invoice, big change from the pre-test drive. Gas milage is the big issue here.

Seems to me there are a few too many hidden issues with the CX-7, its early days yet. So things could get a lot worse. When I was calling around dealerships, I found one that had the CX-7 marked as used. Apparantly it was a pre-order AWD Touring model that someone had for 3 days, and then returned it, because of the poor gas mileage performance.

Not a great start!!
  • rinarmrinarm Posts: 10
    I took delivery of my GT AWD last Thursday. Although, the CX was delivered with a full tank, I wasn't sure the odometer had been reset, so, I refueled and reset the odometer. Just completed a fill up with trip odometer showing 257.4 miles which was 90% highway with speeds from 55 mph to 80 mph. I got 23.64 mpg. Looks to me like a great start. BTW, I paid less than MSRP since I was a returning customer. My dealer got two GT AWDs and one GT FWD. Both AWDs have been sold.
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    Hi:
    The CX-7 (GT AWD) is on my list along with Infiniti FX35 AWD, and Infiniti G35AWD sedan (nixed Odyssey & Murano). I'm shopping these cars for all around safety, acceleration, handling, braking but not neccessarily in that order. I have a short term need (for a year and a half) to seat a small adult (mother-in-law) in the rear w/my two kids (age 15mos and 5yrs) for weekend drives.

Fuel economy was not high on my list because safety & handling is so important to me b/c my family is a far more precious resource than petroleum products. That notwithstanding, I find it hard to believe you got 12-14 mpg with 90% hwy driving (I'm not saying you didn't). Did you floor it from stop sign to stop sign and/or floor it at every red to green light transition???

I know a car's fuel efficiency is not optimal before the engine is broken in, but your mpg was atrocious - if you measured it correctly. Another poster got over 23 mpg on his first tank. Hopefully others will post their numbers & we'll get a better idea.

I agree w/you on holding off on a purchase at anywhere near MSRP. Unless you have an immediate need and no option to wait as supply catches up to demand (and prices approach $1000 above invoice or less), money is too precious to overpay. Mazda has no cachet, the warranty has been downgraded to 3yrs from 4yrs, reliability is unknown, and it hasn't been crash-tested yet.

The CX-7 is somewhat of a bread-and-butter commodity car like the 6 and 3, not some limited edition high performance vehicle like the Mazdaspeed 6, which isn't doing well by the way, and need I say that Mazda resale value is not particularly good? I could go on and on as to why this is not the car to buy at MSRP, but if the fuel economy is that bad, then add that to the list. Be patient everyone and the prices will drop for us all - sooner rather than later.

Regards,
    Deanie
    Deanie,

I think you are confusing the two posts. The second posted said he was doing 90% highway, and got 23 mpg. When I test drove the Grand Touring model on Friday, it was mostly in and around town, in the height of rush hour. It didn't perform well.

I did get a voicemail from the dealer yesterday (Saturday) saying that when I test drove the car, they had filled it with 87 octane gas and not 91 octane, and this was the reason for the poor mpg.

Like I said I went to test drive a FWD model at a different dealership. The big difference here is that this dealership is a Mazda "presidential" awarded dealership. I got a price about $300 over invoice, they held the vehicle for the day and gave me top dollar for my 6s. I went in around 4.30pm, and was out with the vehicle around 6pm. They had set the price up for me for the day before I even left my house.

Considering the price difference of almost $10k between the FWD Sport and the AWD Grand Touring I test drove on Friday, I must admit, I'd be hard pressed to justify the price difference. The FWD Sport handles extremely well, got about 26 mpg on my way home (180 mi drive), and it was raining heavily the entire time. Having driven both, the AWD seems a little heavier and a little slower to accelerate than the FWD. The AWD model feels like your in more control. The FWD Sport seems to have a little more of a mind of its own. A couple of times in the rain from a stop, I had it lunge to the right unexpectedly around 20 - 30 mpg.

I've very happy with the FWD Sport, the only thing I miss is the ambient temp sensor, but ist definately not worth the difference between the FWD Sport and the Grand Touring!! :) The climate controls on the FWD Sport don't seem to suffer the horrible "fog ups" that the 6s has.
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    Hi Jbuswell:
    Thanks for clearing that up. I almost tossed the CX-7 as an option (almost) when under the imperession it was getting mpg in the low teens in mostly hwy driving.

Today I drove the CX-7 GT w/tech pkg (wife insists on rear view camera) for the second time. The main test was the wife (petite) and two kids (15 mos & 5 yrs) in safety seats in the rear, and it was a tight squeeze - okay for 30 minutes or less, but not long trips. That alone might be a dealbreaker, but the dynamics are great. Secure, firm handling suspension (Very safe), but it's not as quiet (road & engine noise) as I'd like in a $30,0000+ car.

I obsess when it comes time to but a car because such times are so infrequent. Can't decide yet.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    I throw my impressions out there for what its worth on this new vehicle.

Just a bit of a background on my situation...

I have a wife and two small children (7 & 2 yrs old) and looking for a family carrier....wife would be primary driver.....

I test drove two CX-7's the other day....first one was an an AWD Grand Touring model....the other was a FWD Sport model.....

Both drove about the same.....one just had more bells and whistles than the other.....

They both drove fairly nice, slight underpowered in my opinion, espeically off the line.....but handling was crisp and clean.

Nice interior, nice leather, nice stereo, roomy....not bad.

Here is the deal breaker for me.....the A/C is just unacceptable, period! I live in Central Florida....it was about mid-day 2pm, 95 degress, sticky, normal Florida weather.....anyway, the salesman started the car and let it run for about 3 minutes, A/C set at 60 degress....the fan was blowing hard, and on re-circ.....
    When we got in to take it for a spin I expected the air to be blowing frosty air....I did not expect the entire car to be cold, but at least the air coming from the vents should have been blowing frosty air by now....but no go on that! Did not say anything to the salesman, we left for the test drive.....a good 15 mintues later after we got back to the dealership I put my hand right up against the vents to feel how cold the air was, and it was luke cool at best....now remember, the A/C had been set at 60 degrees and still blowing full blast the entire test drive.....still nothing, no cold air.....
    To be fair, I said lets check another one to see if it does the same thing.....maybe the one we drove the first time had an issue......well we did the exact same thing in the second one (sport model) as we did in the first one....A/C was set the exact same, test drive was the exact same route.....but the results were the same! And here in FLorida, A/C is everthing! May not be as big an issue up in the northern states, but I know it can get quite warm up there in the summer time as well.....
    Mazda has been having A/C issues in its car for a while now....like in the Mazda3....since 2004 they have had this issue.....have read numerous complaints about this....I just thought that coming out with a brand new model they would have solved this issue.....it's obvious they have not! So the CX-7 is now off my list.....buyers be ware!
    Just my .02 of course....
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    the A/C is just unacceptable, period

I live in the DC area and just bought an AWD GT last week. It's not Florida, but the summers have many days where the temp is in the 90s and muggy (DC is essentially a filled in swamp, after all). With some of the worst rush hour traffic in the country, AC is going to be important for me.

On the way home, I'll try to remember to see how cold the air blowing out is, and set the AC to manual with a low temp, and see if that changes it.

BTW, Deanie, I've enjoyed reading your posts, not because you're the biggest CX-7 fan out there, but because you're honest and open minded.

Anyway, for those that are in the DC area, it looks like most of our dealerships got about 3 CX-7s in 2 weeks ago, with additional vehicles trickling in since then.

I purchased at Whitten Brothers in Richmond VA, and when I picked mine up, I was surpised to learn they had around 10 when my area dealers only had 3. I think they must have a history of higher volume to have such a better selection.
    Compared to the SUV I have now, its pretty much double the gas costs.

Double the gas cost??? What do you drive now? I highly doubt you get over 20mpg in an SUV unless you have a dinky old RAV4 or a CR-V. Also, are you paying a $1.50 for gas???

- Con: Rear bumper isn't very strong

It is plastic! So is most of very car made!. Also, there are NO crash test ratings out on it yet. I would think your assumption is a bit premature, don't you think?

But in a realistic drive around town, the CX-7 AWD got about 10 - 12 MPG.

If you do not own one, how did you come to this? 10-12 mpg is way off all other reports I have heard.
  • kaalimakaalima Posts: 2
    I got my cx-7 t. a week ago and I live south Florida, so about the AC issue I have to say that the ac of my Mazda is working without any problems, so I don't know what kind of testing you did but this is not a issue for me ! Or maybe you didn’t have the money for a cx7 so didn’t like it! Anyway cx7 is very good product zoom-zoom guys
    Deanie,

Current tank of gas (18.4 gallons) lasted 290 miles, the bulk was a trip from Cincinnati to Athens, Ohio, mostly highway some 55 mph winding roads down route 50. Thats about 16 mpg on average. I'm going to fill it up with premium 91 octane BP tomorrow, and I'll let you know how that tank goes. Its very easy to depress the accelerator on the CX-7 and end up at 60 mph in a few seconds (eg. not flooring it), I'll try to drive it a little more conservatively and see how that helps the mpg.

In terms of safety the thing is awesome, I took it for a short run down State Route 550 and 690 here in Athens, road veers back and forth, and plenty of hills that change direction just after the peak. I was able to take the turns on that road at 60 mph without any problems, one I probably shouldn't have but the Dynamic Stability Control kicked in and kept me on the road :)

The CX-7 is definately more spacious and cooler than the Mazda 6s. However, there is absolutely no room in the back seats with one infant and one toddler car seat back there. I don't know how petite your wife is, but our 11 year old nephew is about the only one who can sit back there comfortably between the two car seats.

Having said that, our daughter's toddler car seat fits much better in those rear seats than it ever did in the 6s. She looks far more comfortable in terms of the angle the seats at than she ever did in the 6s. One other thing, I'm glad the front head rests pop out, my daughter likes to be able to see out the windshield when nobody is in the front passenger seat, which she can't do with the head rests in place.

I only paid around $23,200 for the FWD Sport, to be honest with you, having driven both the FWD Sport and the AWD Grand Touring, I just don't see the justification in the price difference unless you've got money to waste. I thought I'd miss the fancy climate controls that are in the 6s, and the Grand Touring but not in the Sport. The front windshield defroster was always a PITA on the 6s anyway, and it never worked right on a cold foggy morning. I was happy to see that the manual climate controls work very very very well. The only downside to the FWD Sport is that I didn't get the Cargo Tray, which I've now got on order. After three shopping trips around town with it, the groceries just go everywhere regardless of how careful you take the turns.

One thing to keep in mind with the rear view camera, its part of the GPS package right? Check with your insurance company, make sure they don't charge or plan to charge higher premiums for cars with navigation systems. I was talking to my insurance agent, and she told me that something like 8 out of 10 owners of GPS enabled cars don't set the trip BEFORE they leave, and end up getting into the habit of trying to set the trip while driving, which sooner or later results in some kind of accident as a result. So they are looking to charge a premium for cars with GPS enabled features, and since most cars they are in the $30k or higher range, people will pay it.

Hope that helps.

btw. one real issue with the car is the speedometer. After driving it for a few days, didn't really notice in while test driving, its difficult to hit 5 mph increments and know that you're not doing 58 or 59 instead of 55. I guess its partly due to the fact you barely have to touch the accelerator and you go faster :)
    aviboy97,

Yes pretty much double the gas costs. My other SUV is a 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT, people poke fun at the exterior from time to time but I think it looks way better than your generic RAV4 or CRV. The interior on it is awesome, its a very useful vehicle, and gets awesome gas mileage. It averages about 26 mpg, considering its a 3.4l V6, and about the same size as the CX-7. It can also seat an adult between the two car seats in the back.

The only downside to the Aztek, is that GM didn't do a great job with the powertrain. I've gone through three GM transmissions at this point, after the last one broke just outside their warranty, I had it completely rebuilt from high-performance after market parts. That not only improved the performance and power, but I seem to be getting on average about 28 mpg out of the thing. I know this because both the in-dash computer and the old fashion way come out with the same numbers. I've got almost 80,000 miles on the Aztek, and its always given between 24 and 28 mpg since the first day I bought it.

I also stopped taking it to the GM dealer, and since then, no mechanical problems at all. Strange ? :)

In terms of the bumper. My wife backed the Aztek into the garage wall at our old house, big hole in the wall, but I just had to dust off the Aztek's rear bumper. She also backed it into a concrete wall at the same house, and it just had a minor scratch on the plastic bumper. My guess, the CX-7 would probably need a repair in the same situation.

I actually DO own one now, the FWD version, last tank got 15 mpg. I got the 10-12 mpg figure from the Grand Touring Model I test drove. The dealer said they filled the tank with 5 miles on the odometer, and it had been test driven close to 120 miles. I test drove it for about an hour with the sales guy. Which added about 30 miles to it, and the tank was below 1/2. To be fair to the dealer, they went out and tested the car pretty heavily after I pointed out the gas mileage issues. They got back to me the other day and said they weren't sure if they put 91 octane in it or not, and that might be part of the problem.

They're not the first dealer to say that either. There is no indication on the car, gas tank etc, that you should use premium fuel. The only two mentions are in the "getting started" booklet attached to the ignition, and the owners manual. With the high gas prices, I'd imagine most dealers would probably just dump 87 octane into them if they are unaware of the 91 octane requirement.

One thing I noticed that was interesting, I've gone to 4 dealers here in Ohio looking at these before I bought one down in Cincinnati. The first two dealers I went to had the AWD model window sticker showing 19 / 23 as the gas mileage. However, the last two dealers I went two, the exact same model vehicles with the same options had 18 / 21 as the gas mileage on the window sticker. My FWD Sport has 19 / 24 on it, the same as the 6s.

I'll keep you posted on how the mpg works out over time. Probably not too fair to judge it within the first 600 miles anyway as the engine is being broken in.
    Underpowered off the line? Must have been something wrong with it. My CX-7 is doing 60 mph within a couple of seconds once I get out my driveway, I'd go as far as saying after driving it for a few days, from a stop, the thing accelerates better than the 6s. Good chance the dealer stuffed sub-91 octane fuel in it.

While the weather here in Ohio isn't quite Florida, it was 90 here the other day and fairly humid. The car was cold with the a/c on, and the fan set on 4 within a minute or two. The air was definately blowing freezing cold off the bat.

It sounds like you test drove the Grand Touring with the fancy climate control. I had the same fancy climate control in my 6s, and the a/c works fine in it. However, your complaint caught my attention because my mother in law complained about the a/c not working right in my 6s when she borrowed it, and my wife's aunt who borrowed it for a week complained of the same thing. They set the temp to 60, but never turned on the a/c, or in my wife's aunts case, she turned on the a/c but had the blower on low, so it took forever to cool the car down.

You probably should have mentioned it to the sales rep, they would have shown you how to set it correctly. Having driven the Grand Touring, I know the a/c works very very well. So I'd chalk it up to either user error or a faulty vehicle.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    didn't have the money? Are you kidding? What does that have to do with it? I currently drive a Lexus ES350 and am looking for an SUV for my wife and kids.....and by the way....does buying a CX-7 make you a rich person?
    I don't know about you, but shelling out $30K on a vehicle is somewhat of a big issue with me.....when I want to buy....I compare.....it has nothing to do with cost! If you read some of the other posts it seems I am not the only one that has issues with it. My co-worker drives a mazda3 5 door and he loves it, but, he says his A/C stinks!
    I have been in his car allot, great car, lousy A/C.
    So think what you will.....that's your right.....and I was just throwing my .02 anyway.....by the way, do you wonder why Mazda has lowered it's warranty period? Hmmmmmmm....