Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• Actually I'm still trying to decide on color. I heard something interesting from a dealer today. He said there might be a harder time matching the "limited production" colors if something had to be replaced. He was talking about the Jade and Red colors.

Someone else pointed out that the Majestic blue really shows dirt easily. For that matter I guess that is true with any of the dark colors such as black, blue and dark gray. Of course on the other extreme the white color will have a similar problem, leaving silver, light gray and taupe as the only "dirt friendly" colors.

I'm interested in a 3.5 SL which seems to be in the minority already. Seems that my best chances to get a car without ordering it from the factory is to go with Radiant Silver. Am I going color blind?
  • On the Altima with navigation and 6-cd changer there is a small compartment just in front of the shift lever and below the 6-cd changer. I opened it and saw a small velvet depression for holding something but I have no idea what. To the right of the depression is a power socket. I have a Creative Zen MP3 player but it's too large to fit in the space. :(

Even if something could fit the door rotates so far that anything in that depression would be leaning nearly horizontal towards the shift lever.

The owners manual doesn't say what the compartment is for. The salesman I asked had no idea. It isn't for coins since there are coin holders in the center console. Anyone know the purpose of this mystery holder?
  • Had no idea the red was considered a "limited production" color--what a novel idea and how typical for today. Makes me even gladder that I chose it--I operate from the cheerful and optimistic assumption that nothing's going to happen to cause something to be replaced. Good luck on your choices, 'tho. Like I said in an earlier post, the blond interior is much nicer looking, especially with the wood-grained binnacle cover vs. the black metal mesh one--I don't worry about dirt, either--anything that is used is going to eventually show some wear.
  • This may seem a superficial item to consider when buying a car, but it's a real pet-peeve with me. In the late 70's, with all the other down-grading extant in the auto industry, the factory AC systems began to be designed with a sensor to cycle the AC clutch on and off, as opposed to the earlier use of expansion valves that let the compressor run all the time the unit was on, resulting in a continuous supply of dehumidified air. The newer methods resulted in what I called "muggy lapses" when the compressor clicked off, and annoying variations in engine speed. I always tho't it ironic that at the center of the most expensive climate control systems beat the heart of a '59 Frigiking hangdown unit--this situation existed until recently. I was gratified to find out only a few months before I traded in my '04 VW NB TDI that it employed a variable displacement compressor which ran all the time once the system was turned on. As much as I admired the new Nissans with their CVT transmission, it was critical that they not have the cycling clutch system. I had driven a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 several weeks ago and it had the dreaded cycling compressor--on/off,on/off,on/off,click,click,click--on an 80 degree day--so it was marked off. I don't know about the 2006's, but I was gratified when I took a test drive in my first '07 3.5 that its compressor ran all the time--delivering an unbroken stream of dehumidified air. Apparently several other brands are going to this deisgn, too. I don't know if it's strictly a variable displacement compressor, or the use of an expansion valve in the system, but at least it beats the earlier types used from about 1978 'till recently.
  • If the AC compressor runs all the time would this negatively affect gas mileage?
  • I meant only when the AC system is turned on, or is in the "Defrost" mode--otherwise, the clutch is not engaged. I understand, tho', that some makes have a compressor that has no clutch, when the motor is running so is the compressor--I think this is the true variable displacement type--the stroke has been shortened by a sensor via computer feed-back to the extent that the compressing effort is virtually zero. Seems like it's still going to put unnecessary wear on the unit--we've come full circle to the very first factory units of '53-'54 which had no clutch.
  • It appears that Nissan may have been the first to use this system: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4894999-claims.html. I do know the Nissan compressor has a clutch, it does not run all the time the engine is running. (For whatever reason, the darned article doesn't show up after posting, but did so on Preview. It's accessible via Google: variable displacement compressor Nissan.)
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I wouldn't believe any words coming from a salesperson's mouth.

Sonoma Sunset (aka the RED) is not a limited production color. Sonoma Sunset has been avaiable on the Altima model since MY 2003 (in which it replaced the Noveau Ruby from MY 2002)

That color, has been one of the longest running Altima colors in the Altima's 3rd and now 4th Generation history. The ONLY color that has been around longer than Sonoma Sunset is Super Black, which was available on the Altima since MY2002.Salespeople will say anything to make a sell. L :)

Now, Jade I am not so sure about, but if it's anything like last generation's "Mystic Emerald" Which was also a bright emerald-y looking green color, it's not limited Production either.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    After reading many of the posts about Nissan's lack of colors, I have to agree. Nissan is supposed to be the "Bold" Japanese company amongst Toyota and Nissan, but yet it seems that this generation of vehicles are too evolutionary and too soft this time around. I would like to see a deep Burgandy for the Altima (or a color similar to what's being shown on the Rogue SUV) and I'd also like to see some type of deep greeen as well. Even bring back something similar to MY2002-03 "Seascape" would be nice on this current Gen IMO.

Interior fabrics for the car are bland as well. The Aura offers a "Morocco" leather and I think Nissan should consider this type of leather as well. THe "Morocco" is neither flashy nor funky, but does look quite classy on certain colors of the Aura (White, dark blue and black in particular)

Hopefully Nissan will drop some of the gray colors (Precision Gray, Dark Slate and Radiant Silver) and offer something more provocative in the next couple of model years.

The car already looks too mainstream now as is...boring colors and too small wheel choices (those 17s on the SE look like 16s) would help the styling. I get the feelin this next generation Accord is going to be "Sportier" than the Altima is...if so, Nissan is in serious trouble.
  • Appears Nissan was one of the first to use this device. By golly I got that sucker to work this time--I'd included the "." after the address was the problem:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4894999-claims.html
  • I, too, was somewhat skeptical about "Carcinoma" Sunset being a limited production color--I've seen too many of that hue in the past.
  • lili1lili1 Posts: 44
    I happen to have an old G3/'03 Altima brochure & looked at it yesterday. Vow, they had many exciting & wilder colors then, too many but it is exciting & not peacock. This round, they only offer G38, Audi, BMW, type plain colors. That is way too far a swing in the opposite direction. Something in between in terms of enough conservative colors and enough choices of exciting colors/shift is what I wish to see. If some self-acclaimed genius or consulting firm sells the idea that offering upscale brand's colors will crank up the upscale perception of the Altima & resale value, I think they have lost the business and market instinct to position this car a little. In combo with the body design, performance, it has no distinctive character any more; therefore no image any more. I can't define this car any more. It is now, not a 'better value Audi', not a 'better VW', not something with more distinctive character by itself to be convert customer of Camry or Accord. If they think the model loyal customer will go for a more mature looking Altima,don;'t forget, some do not want to grow up that way or else we will go to the Maxima. It is also not distinctively sportier in look & then supported by performance, therefore it is not preceived as sportier. It has no mean look to it in any way,a nd how can you have any touch of sportier perception. It is just not much of anything at the end. It is just like the KFC's whatever bowl they call it. Toss in a bunch of uncomplimenting things and offer as a creative product!!! It is just not exciting!!!
  • I'm happy to report that I'm a new owner of a Sedona Red 2007 Altima 3.5 SL with tech. I sure do love my gadgets. :)

I got a DVD with the car giving a tour of it's features and I noticed something odd. They showed the control panel with switches for turn off traction control and VDC. My car only has the VDC switch. Reading the Nissan site they say that traction control is standard with all 6 cylinder Altimas, which mine is. So, what happened to my switch?
  • I posted the question on the FreshAlloy Forum as well and got an answer to my TCS switch question. The VDC and TCS systems are closely related so there is only one switch to turn off both systems. VDC includes TCS so you'll only get a "VDC Off" switch. If you don't have VDC then you'll have a "TDC Off" switch.

Since the DVD shows both switches I gather this is a recent change to the car.
  • alex34alex34 Posts: 8
    thanks for the answer, i had posted the question earlier and could not find an answer anywhere.

how come some dealers give out DVD's with the cars? i never got one.
  • I got a nice zippered binder for the manuals as well as full paper copies of the current navigation, owners, warranty and service manuals. The DVD didn't have anything particularly special and was just a run through how the various features on the car worked.

As for why you didn't get one, I really don't know. I bought an SL but a SE with leather and nav should actually be a bit more expensive. Perhaps they got tired of me pestering them with questions. ;)
  • I really like the interior and exterior of the 07's, very nice car.
  • I'm enjoying the car as well although I'm still trying to find a comfortable position for the driver seat on long drives. It feels like the lumbar support is too low. Instead of applying pressure to the small of my back it is positioned at my tailbone.
  • I have noticed that the DVD is in the glove compartment on my 3.5 SE--I just assumed they were put in from the factory, sort of a supplement to the 9,377 page owner's manual. Maybe someone had sticky fingers...
  • Now that you mention it, I think my DVD was in the glove box as well. If you didn't get it, no big loss. A ten minute tour from the salesman will do the same thing pretty much.
  • phx08phx08 Posts: 8
    I'm interested in the 2007 Altima 2.5 S what kind of pricing do you guys think that i can get on the car?
  • Can anyone that has purchased a 3.5 SE or SL share their experiences inside the cabin? I'm curious to know how contained road and engine noise is. Today I drove a 3.5SL Maxima and found the cabin to be very peaceful and quiet. I than drove a 3.5SE Altima and was a bit disappointed in the cabin noise. Do SL's have more sound insulation, or maybe the Maxima's do.

I would appreciate any and all input, as I have decided to buy one or the other - but would rather spend less and get the Altima ;)
  • lili1lili1 Posts: 44
    I look at it from two different perspective after road testing and have yet own one.

1)Hearing the engine noise. You are not into 2.5. The 2.5 is really bad from the noiseness of the engine itself on even moderate acceleration and then the firwall area insulation. The 3.5 is much quieter on moderate acceleration due to its power but the firewall I will say beign the same in all models SE, SL, still make it a little nosier.

2)The cabin's own insulation from the wind noise, road noise from starting from the anything associated with the 4 tires and its suspension, exhaust, etc. After teh car is born, the remidy is added insulation materials. I had the previous generation Altima before and its cushioning and insulation being minimal as a start did not help. This 07 does not appear to have invest much more money in that and it is a little noisy compare to the Maxima or Avalon or even the Camry.

I don't know what is the dBa comparison BUT nothing mean more than actually driving to compare them all. Besides, it is not only the loadness but also the quality of the noise. Noise that you don't like makes you feel uncomfy even if not that loud!!! So, I will say, trust your ears.

You drove the 3.5SE Altima. You may also have been influened by the added road/bump noise from the harsh/sportier suspension (shock and bigger anti-roll bars) on the SE as well as the bigger diameter wheel w/ teh higher aspect ratio tire therefore much less cushy. I found the SE indeed noisier and somehow a mismatch if I give it leather interior.

With this kind of brand new platform not evolved from an existing one, it is still raw and unrefined because money is eaten up by doing all sorts of new things. I don't feel they will have spend what they should in the noise area. It is obvious. Audi is an Audi. Infinite is an Infinite. This is merely an American design Lego from computers and not w/ a lot of the fine touch of art of engineering.
  • Having had a new '02 Altima in the family, I loved the way it drove & still do. I actually like the overly induced torque steer. However, the car is a pile of junk. The latest issue being; the car now shuts off for no apparent reason and for no apparent cause (at least no one can can figure out why) needless to say it can't be driven long distances anymore. I never believed that old notion that you should never buy a car the first year it is released but now I do. From what I understand, only the 02-04 ones suffer from serious quality problems. I have friends with the 05/06s and they swear by the Altima's reliability. (Give it time?)

NOW ON TO THE 2007... I fell in love with the '07 and wanted one but was uneasy about how high the CVT reved all the time (it always seemed to hover around 6k rpm during normal acceleration). Tell me this, is it bad in the longrun for an engine to rev this high all the time?

I figured since the engines were all essentially carryovers, that the problems we had with our '02 would have been worked out.

However, I have noticed a quite a lot of 07s being towed into dealerships. I saw somone at my carwash with an '07 and asked how she liked it. 'Love it' she said, but, the electrical system failed on her once and the car would not start (the car was less than 500 miles old)she said the dealer kept it over-night and the next day it started like nothing happened, and they never figured out what had occured. Looks like a whole NEW set of problems.
  • "NOW ON TO THE 2007... I fell in love with the '07 and wanted one but was uneasy about how high the CVT reved all the time (it always seemed to hover around 6k rpm during normal acceleration). Tell me this, is it bad in the longrun for an engine to rev this high all the time?"

This would be in a 2.5, right? I have an '07 3.5 SE and it sometimes gets close to 4,000 RPM, but never over. On a 2.5, it would probably have to rev higher because of less torque--2.5 is only 150 cubic inches--that's only 10 more than the 1960 Falcon's smaller engine. It's not the fact of its being a CVT--it's just the transmission doing its job--a four- or five-speed would be down-shifting all the time to accommodate the lesser availability of torque. I'm amazed at the performance that today is gotten out of what 35-40 years ago would be considered tiny engines. The smallest standard engine in full-size cars was usually at least 4.0 litres--of course I'm aware of all the advancements in engine design over the years making this possible, but it is still interesting.
  • "Can anyone that has purchased a 3.5 SE or SL share their experiences inside the cabin? I'm curious to know how contained road and engine noise is. Today I drove a 3.5SL Maxima and found the cabin to be very peaceful and quiet."

Actually, if a person from 300 years ago was placed in one of these cars, they'd think they'd gone straight to Heaven without having to pass "GO". ;) I've found mine wonderful, but I'm easy to please--I do notice one little thing that is really not a bother--when the AC is "On" and I'm sitting at a light, I can actually hear the compressor compressing. What is especially nice about it is that it compresses ALL THE TIME and is not sitting there going on/off/on/off/on/off/click/click/click/click like the majority of other cars sitting in traffic that suffer from what has been a commonplace in automotive air-conditioning systems over the past 25 years--the horrible cycling compressor, which, even in the most sophisticated systems harks back to nothing less than the heart of a 1959 Frigiking under-the-dash unit. And all the new cars do not share this feature (a variable displacement compressor)--several weeks before purchasing the Altima, I drove an '07 Mazadaspeed 3 and it was blatant in its manifestation of cycling--"muggy lapses" and all.

"I than drove a 3.5SE Altima and was a bit disappointed in the cabin noise."

This is what I call "progress-induced disappointment". Our cars have achieved such a wonderful level of refinement that even the slightest intrusion of noise causes annoyance. Imagine the thrill experienced by a 40-50 year old person in 1955, fully familiar with the antiquated jalopies of 1946, or even 1952, getting to experience their new Oldsmobile Super 88 replete with high-compression V-8, Hydra-Matic, power steering, power brakes, air-conditioning, power windows, et al. Everything over the past 50 years has really just been a variation on the same themes. They're the ones who had the most fun.
  • "This would be in a 2.5, right? I have an '07 3.5 SE and it sometimes gets close to 4,000 RPM, but never over. On a 2.5, it would probably have to rev higher because of less torque--2.5 is only 150 cubic inches--that's only 10 more than the 1960 Falcon's smaller engine."

I have a 2.5 and I've never seen it rev just over 4000 - and that was accelerating a cold car in cold weather (not sure if that makes any difference).
  • ggs2ggs2 Posts: 18
    i purchased a 2007 altima se 3.5 two weeks ago and have not noticed cabin noise being a problem. there have been a couple of things that need to be addressed like the center console that will not latch. i'm still trying to get used to having more interior space than i'm accustomed to. i usually like the cockpit feel which this car does not have. my biggest complaint with the car is probably with the leather seats which seem a little too firm and could also use more bolster support on the sides. this car is plenty powerful though and i hope it will have typical nissan reliability. i now have about 850 miles on the car and no problems other than console
  • "I have a 2.5 and I've never seen it rev just over 4000 - and that was accelerating a cold car in cold weather (not sure if that makes any difference)."

6,000 RPM did seem high, even for a 2.5. The first CVT I ever drove was a Saturn about three years ago and it would rev to 6,000 RPM if floored, but then it's only 2.2 litres.
  • Thanks for the reply. I realize the noise issue may seem trivial, but I drive 1500 miles a week for work, and my car has unfortunately become an office. With the huge amount of miles I put on the car I cannot justify spending in the Infiniti/Lexus/BMW range. Nissan sedans are my favorite, though the Avalon is making me look even harder.
    Thanks again...