Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• It seems like it was just a week ago the first spy photo's hit the web and now it's already on their website. I think it looks sharp, I hope it's trunk is bigger than the G35's and it's nice that it's a front driver for those of us in the snow belt. I think it looks sportier than the Accord Coupe.
  • Anybody test drove new altima with 6 sp. manual trany?
    Give us your impression. Is it smooth? Is the clutch progressive? Are engine rpms hanging when going from one gear to another like in most cars today? What rpms engine shows at 100 km/h
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Took a short test drive of 4 cyl with CVT. I think I liked the CVT, but did not really drive enough to be sure. The CVT was really the only reason I decided to drive one. I don't really care for the styling or the pricing of the Altima. I've driven mostly manuals for last 20 years, but planning to go with an automatic this time, this was the reason for being interested in the CVT.

I did not like the seat, it seemed too flat, low (even with height adjusted to maximum), and a bit hard.

On a side note...I find the creation of a mythical base model by Nissan to be kind of obnoxious. It is apparently only available without A/C, only in manual transmission, only in black and only by special order. Why even bother...of course, I know it is so that they can advertise base price of about $2000 below the real base price.
  • viv3viv3 Posts: 2
    hello, need some advise
    looking to purchase a new 07 altima, which I love what is best the bottom line price to expect from a dealer? I also have a friends and family nissan discount. What is that worth? Comparing the altima to the Acura tsx. Much smaller card but the resale value is a lot higher. Any thoughts
    Thanks viv3
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace! Check out the posts here: Altima Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. That's a great place to find out what people think about pricing.
  • I've been looking to buy an moderately priced front drive 4 door sedan, manual transmission, that can get out of it's own way when I step on the gas. Camry SE would be great but no MT. When the 2007 Altima was announced with 270 HP I thought this was the one. At only 3200 lbs, it should easily outperform the Camry or Maxima and be right up there with the G35. But some road tests, most notably the one I just saw on MotorWeek, have been very disappointing. Motorweek reported 15.6 second 1/4 mile (with the CVT). I would have expected around 14 seconds with that power/weight ratio.

Some questions:

1 - Anyone seen more promising tests?

2 - Does the CVT suck up that much power?

3 - Does anyone know the similarities/differences between the 3.5 in the Altima and the one in the G35? Where does the extra 36HP in the G come from?
  • What sort of experience do 2007 Altima 3.5 owners have with different grades of fuel? I've read that premium is "recommended" but is it required? I would imagine that the car's computer would compensate for standard grade fuel but how much does that affect performance? For regular communting I'd hope to use 87 grade fuel since it's much less expensive but I wouldn't want to damage the engine or have :lemon: performance. Can owners of this car give me some real world feedback on this issue? Thanks! ^_^
  • lili1lili1 Posts: 44
    Read 787, 788, 789 msg under the altima buying experience group.

I only tested the 3.5 w/ 6 speed.

It is smooth and is quite easy if that is what you are after. CLutch pedal is extremely light and progressive enough although it is not proportionally gradual as you will wish. Harder to kill the engine by mistake in your pedal skill. Engine hangs long. It is basically not like a manual sporty vehicle of yester year but rather clutch as if you are switching off the hp, flip a gear, let out the pedal reasonable well, you do great & not effort, too easy.

None of the sport car feel and forget about heel and toe stuff. At least I don't the pedals positioned or angled right for that kind of driving.

There is a roadtest 2 on the 2007 ALtima done by Road & Track or someone on the 3/5SE manual. that will have the max speed and max rpm to figure that out. MY guess for this kind of power, it will be 2500 rpm or a little less = very quiet.

Now, I did not try a 2.5 manual. If it is 2.5, I will think the noise level will be annoying at all speed when you are trying to take off a little faster. It will be quiet when cruising.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    as a owner of a 05 Altima 3.5 I can tell you that there is a different between putting Premium ver Regular unleaded. Put the car runs just fine on Regular unleaded.

Tony
  • Thanks for the reply, Tony. Can you give me any additional information on the "difference" that you observe when using 91 fuel instead of 87? Is it just that the car is a little bit peppier or is it such a big difference that you always buy 91 octane fuel?

Have you tried using the mid-grades of 89?

Thanks for your insights.
  • I'm a bit mystified at the lack of colors for the Altima. Granted they have 9 external colors but the vast majority are some minor variation of black, white or gray. Black colors (Dark Slate, Majestic Blue, Super Black) White (Winter Frost, Radiant Silver) Gray (Precision Grey, Pebble Beach) The only colors they have with any chroma are Metallic Jade and Sonoma Sunset. I like these two colors but I can't find examples of these cars in the Chicago area. Is Nissan trying to appeal to the color blind market?
    :confuse:
  • No the sad thing is that people buy these colors. Nissan is known for keeping around what works, or sells, best for them. The majority of people in the North buy black and the majority of people in the south buy white. Thus they make lighter or darker variations of these colors. Don't blame the manufacturer, blame the consumer. They just use what works and sells. It sucks I know. I like different colors on my vehicles too.
  • So we're the only two people in North America with taste in colors, eh? ;) Fortunately I just got an e-mail from a nearby dealership that an Altima in Jade is there so I can see the color in-person. I find the color looks much different when actually seen on the car.

One of my reasons for wanting a car of a different color is so I can pick it out in a parking lot. My current car is a variation in taupe and it is nearly impossible to tell it from the sea of other cars of nearly the same color.
  • Have you seen the sonoma red, I think the 07 Altima looks absolutely gorgeous in that color!
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    well first off the VQ35 engine is one sweet engine. Difference really responsness of the engine and the eagerness to rev faster. Either way, the poor souls in the BMW 328 and some in the 330i well be very suprised.

No haven't tried Mid Grade yet.

I have used Av-gas 110 (avation grade) and let me tell you, the engine loved it, but its very pricey and just wanted to try it once.

Tony
  • I haven't seen one yet but I just got an e-mail from a local dealer that has one. I'll probably take a look at it soon.

I did look at the Jade color during lunch. While it was nice it did give me the feeling of a greenish taupe. If I want a car that stands out in a parking lot I don't think this is the color to pick. Then again dark red isn't exactly a rare color either. At least it isn't a shade of gray!
  • And I normally hate red cars, But with Altima's iconic tail lights this red is very sharp, and sophisticated. And so far I have only seen one.
  • lili1lili1 Posts: 44
    I will join to make it three of us. I have managed to hunt down find one with Jade near where I am to look at, also the sunset and the peeble beach. I totally agree. The Altima lacks a couple of more refreshing colors for those with a different touch. The Jade is close to that of the pre-07 green but a touch more pastel or the same, may be. However, here is my take on it. The type of green (mica or something) on the 06/07 Avalon really make it the best looking rarer color but it does not do the trick on the Altima. It is OK, not offending but I did not want to embrace the car. That one has the steel wheel plastic hub cap but fundamentally, the body shape and that Jade does not do the trick. The Sunset was too conservative not unlike what was on a '80 Malibu or something and I rather have a real metallic maroon. The peeble beach was just like or close to the modest tone on the '06 whatever they call it. I rather have a old champagne back or the Huyndai champaign or light gold whatever they call it. On top of that, you compromise on this color, you further compromise on the leather color. Some can't have black for an European or sports car touch, and if you do, it will not give you the wood finish cosmetics, while the other will give you only the black only leather and not cream. The while is not pearly or at least no like an Avalon. Drive me nuts. I am almost driven to not consider the car. Gut feel, this 07 Altima does not appear to have a single visionary designer on the body line and interior and it looks like a [non-permissible content removed] put together by a basket of inputs from a bunch of 'marketing folks'.
  • I had a chance to look at the Sonoma Sunset Red last night. It's a decent color although it didn't seem to be metallic so the color appeared to be duller than I hoped. I saw it after sunset so I'm sure it will look different in the daylight.

One big surprise was the Majestic Blue. On the web site I thought that color was very dark and near black. It's a very metallic blue that actually shows quite nicely! Now if I can only see it on a clean car in the daylight.

Now my dilemma is to choose red vs blue. I do like how the red is accented by the taillights but I'm not fond of the non-metalic paint and the fondness that cops have to ticketing speeding red cars. The blue is a nice color is less contrasty with the sun roof giving the car smoother lines. From the front of the car I prefer blue. From the back I prefer red. Help!

Anyone have an idea of which color is more popular? My goal is to have the less popular color. I'm thinking it may be blue.
  • Well first of all, the way a car drives is not shown by the color of the exterior. So judging a car or making bad comments about one because of the colors is not fair. Second car manufacturers do things a certain way to make things less expensive and obtainable for guest. I have meet some the people who work with nissan on this vehicle and they are very proud and excited about this new car. A lot of thought and consideration of what previous Altima owners concerns went into the making of this vehicle and from a consumers point of view, I would want my manufacture to listen to me. I believe you may have been missed informed about this new altima, or you just haven't be shown or thought enough about it.