Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• "When passing, why not just shift it into 5th and accelerate? - if you're in manual shift mode already."

Because in Manual mode it still remains in what feels like a locked up condition in all the gears--whereas "D" allows the engine to rev up to a higher RPM, kind of like the old switch-pitch converters in the 50's and 60's Buicks. I'm finally getting more used to Manual mode and really like it--am using it much more around town.
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Posts: 43
    If you couldn't get comfortable on the test drive, why did you buy the car?

I have the leather package and find the seats supremely comfortable. I just logged Toronto to Vermont return road trip where I was the sole driver with less fatigue than I would haev magined possible.

Jaeger
  • That's the problem, it was comfortable on the test drive, but has become increasingly uncomfortable the more I drive it.
  • The window sticker on my new 2.5 S with SL and Technology package lists the "Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror" and "Compass" separately. When you look for the compass in the owners manual it guides you to the review mirror. Since my rearview mirror does not have the compass I brought it back to the dealer with the window sticker and owners manual and asked them for it. The salesman brought me to the parts department and the parts department manager said they would order it for me (about 268 bux) because it should of been included and it is included under the warranty.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    The salesman brought me to the parts department and the parts department manager said they would order it for me (about 268 bux) because it should of been included and it is included under the warranty.

That is bad business on that dealership. I would ask to talk to General Sales Manager or the General Manager of the store. If they are a reputable place they would correct the problem with no charge to you. When you think about it $268 and the hour it takes to install is no reason to loose future business from you or anyone you would potetially refer. As youy say it is on the window sticker which means you paid for it.

After looking at your post again I realize you have the tech package. On your navigation screen their is a compass.
    So now that I think about it again. The window sticker has to state " Auto- Dimming Mirror with Compass " in order for you to qualify for that accesory. :confuse:
  • Hello, im new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Connection package. The car runs fine, but the only thing i'm worried about is every morning or basically anytime I start the car up after 5,6+ hours, I hear a loud metallic rattling sound in the front engine. It only lasts for a few seconds and slowly gets louder and then vanishes. The car runs great, and the sound doesn't come back until the next morning. I called the service dept and they said i'd have to leave it overnight, the guy suggested over the phone it might be the oil which has pooled up at the bottom of the reservoir moving thru the engine? I really don't know, does anyone have any ideas on what this may be?
  • bv050506bv050506 Posts: 97
    This is an interesting topic. My avalon ahd incredible seats, then I went to a Camry and they were very uncomfortable. When I bought my '07 Altima with power seats and lumbar support I was and remain very happy. I'm a large guy 5'10" and about 225lbs. I'm blessed with a 26 inch inseam so obviously my legs are not long. The seat hits me perfectly at the knees and I get a lot of support. Anytime I want more back support I just increase the lumbar support. I can remember when I bought the car thinking longer legged people may have difficulty where the seats end and not having enough leg support. Perhaps there is a seat cushion you can get to enjoy the ride more. Best of luck.
  • I also have the 2.5SL with Convenience package. My car does the same thing. It's been doing it about every four days since I bought it back in May. I've taken it in twice now, and they don't know what is making that noise, nor have they been able to repeat that noise at the dealership. (Nor has anyone else complained of similar issues). They suggested I leave it overnight and for an entire day, so they can start it up every couple of hours. This way, the engine stays "cold" (no one drives it), and if they don't hear it when they start it up, they'll turn it off and try again a bit later. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I think this recommendation is valid. I just need to get around to making another appt. Also, I was able to find a Nissan Tech bulletin on this (or similar) issue, but it only applies to specific engine models. Mine was not one of them. Of course.
  • "They suggested I leave it overnight and for an entire day, so they can start it up every couple of hours. This way, the engine stays "cold" (no one drives it), and if they don't hear it when they start it up, they'll turn it off and try again a bit later."

I think this is counterproductive--starting it every two or three hours isn't going to prove anything. It's when the engine sits overnight--and that is usually 7-8 hours--the oil completely drains away from the bearings. When the engine is started up after this length of time is when you hear the very brief, but not good for the engine, sound. This is one of my pet-peeves about computerized engine controls. When I first start my 3.5 SE after sitting overnight, the computer instantly rips the RPM up to nearly 2,000 RPM before letting it gradually slow down to around 1,200. I've never heard bearing noise, but I know this kind of RPM on a stone-cold engine can't be good. All the surfaces are dry initially and the engine should be allowed to start at an RPM under 1,000 RPM, or at least no higher, for the first 30 or so seconds. I never start my carburetor-equipped cars with that much force but let them find the lowest RPM at which they'll run 'till at least some warmth gets into the system. I've got a little '90 Festiva with 182,000 miles on it that I use as a dinghy and on really cold mornings, it's RPM hits 2,500 and stays there for nearly a minute--I'd hate to see what's in its oil pan...
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    You don't by chance live in california do you?
  • It seems like the issue is a combination of the firmness of the seat and the pedal position - it seems like the brake pedal is too far up toward the seat from the gas pedal. The position for operating the accelerator is not comfortable for operating the brake. I have found a position that is bearable, but I still get out with a sore leg.
  • I believe I shifted at or almost 6000 rpm. I don't know anything about racing or rpms so I guess I didn't push it very much if the redline is where you need to push past.

Concerning the trunk button located at the trunk itself. I think it is the car doors being open that seems to prevent the trunk swith from working, not the engine itself being on. I wonder why that is.
  • I drive about 3000 miles a month (2.5 S) and I have had the sore leg syndrome too. I'm going to have to get something for the seat, LOL, with all the driving I do.
  • "I believe I shifted at or almost 6000 rpm. I don't know anything about racing or rpms so I guess I didn't push it very much if the redline is where you need to push past."

I don't know what the torque peak on this engine is, but I know it's below 6,000 RPM, so revving above that is useless--you certainly don't want to go above, or even in, redline! That's why it's REDLINE!
  • carnut21carnut21 Posts: 38
    This sounds like a heat shield somewhere on the engine. I had a Toyota Corolla that done the same sound and it was a round heat shield on the back of the engine. You might have the dealer check to see if the Altima has one.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996

Concerning the trunk button located at the trunk itself. I think it is the car doors being open that seems to prevent the trunk swith from working, not the engine itself being on. I wonder why that is. >I believe I shifted at or almost 6000 rpm. I don't know anything about racing or rpms so I guess I didn't push it very much if the redline is where you need to push past.

sounds like you were driving a manual tranny....

On the trunk... If the car is in gear the trunk won't open

If you drop the remote in the trunk with doors open the trunk won't automatically open, if the doors are locked and you drop the remote in the trunk will pop open
  • bv050506bv050506 Posts: 97
    March 28 for me and 9,000 miles on it. Very pleased and get lots of looks and positive omments.
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    well, i don't have a problem trusting message boards as far as i read more than one. plus in my experience if something gets repeated independently more than certain number of times it just may be true.
    anyhow, in my case I clearly saw the variation of the quality among different cars. that combined with the obvious problems on the brand new tester didn't look right to me.
    anyway, i got me an Accord instead.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    --you certainly don't want to go above, or even in, redline! That's why it's REDLINE!

unless you reprogram the ECM, you won't be able to. there's a rev limiter that will prevent you from reaching the redline.
  • As I have been driving my car, it seems that the issue would be solved if only the seat would go back a couple of inches more. Does anyone know if this is a possible alteration, perhaps with a custom interior shop or something like that?