Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Rough Idle/Vibration Problems

Comments

• Just had the same thing happen today with my wife and son in the truck 2006 Crew cab F250 diesel. Scared the crap out of me. I still had steering control sort of with violent shaking of steering wheel slowed down to about 50 and almost got rear ended by a semi. It seems to me after reading this post Ford must know there is a problem and should have a recall. Its not like a faulty turn signal or something. Paid too much for something like this happen. Anyone know anything new?
    Thanks
  • hey brother i don't know if this will help you or not, but finally ford fixed mine least i think , it has not happened yet. it appears that my emerengcy brake has been self engaging. which makes all the sense to me . i have had used my emergency brake earlier before each occurance when i pulled might boat. unhooking and hooking up ect. they replace on both rear brake assemblys including emergency brake everything on the back now is new. i have a 05 ford fx4 , hope this helps you................... :lemon: :surprise: :lemon:
  • Thanks man I will tell my dealer your fix for sure. I rarely use my emergeny brake though. I have been thinking about it and there is one place on the interstate that if I hit over certain speed it does it every time good thing is its a straigt strech and seems to be just a second or two and stops. Today was around a long curve and it didnt stop till I slowed down it was like going over speed bumps every 2 feet at 75 and trying to hold the turn. Ive had ford trucks for many years and stood by them my buddys have gone to chevy and even toyota. I love the truck but its making me think.
    Thanks again.
  • hey no problem let me know im curious. i know when i would have the problem, felt like a blown tire, drive shaft or something of that nature. it was so bad the windshield wipers were bouncing pretty hard against the windsheild. im just glad i was still under warranty. good luck

martin
  • i have a 05 fx4 same problem after several visits to a dealer with no luck . took it to another dealer. they found my emergency brake was self engaging. they replaced everything on the rear brake system. felt like a blown tire or driveshaft. radical good luck
  • have your dealer look at the emergency brake system. mine was self engaging at speeds of 45-50 mph. so far so good,
  • jrj2jrj2 Posts: 1
    I've been reading through the discussions on vibration because my Ford F250 has a similar problem. I think it may be different than those discussed because this vibration is not continuous and it is not a violent vibration. It comes and goes at random times, usually starting or stopping after I hit a bump in the road. I've taken the truck to a Ford dealership for a diagnostic, but they said everything was normal (since that diagnostic, the seals had to be replaced because they were leaking and the alternator went out). I also took it to a Firestone center and they also said that everything was normal. The vibration is increasing, but it is still not continuous. Does anyone know what this could be??? I think we would do better to just drive this truck off a cliff after all that has been replaced since it was purchased, but since I'm an optomist, I guess I'll try to fix one last thing! Oh, the truck has around 125,000 miles if that helps.
  • 2000 F-150 4.6 V-8 120,000 miles. New brakes/rotors,ball joints,tires,u-joints,shocks,IAC valve,o2 sensors, spark plugs, all filters,rear seals, serpentine belt,fluids great,motor mounts good and tight, fuel system cleaned professionally, NO trouble codes on my scanner,runs great EXCEPT for the vibration at idle and driving. My side mirrors shake noticeably because of it. Took it back to Belle Tire to check balance and they SAID they were fine. Could it be the timing is off ? I did a vaccum check and it was GREAT. I take care of my truck and am used to being able to figure things out. I'm stuck on this one. Any ideas before I buy a timing light ? Thanks.
  • I am having a vibration issue also. ( see post # 91 ) I THINK my motor mounts are tight, but I could only reach 2 of the bolts. Maybe the rubber is cracked. It happens. Anyway, it may be your motor mounts causing the vibration, but how do you test those things to know for sure ? Good luck and let me (us) know if you find the cause.
  • my 1999 with a 5.4 runs good but will not idle, everything is factory on this truck and problem just started.please help,thanks
  • The main exhaust pipe (there are two) probably pulled away from the exhaust manifold pipe. There are typically two bolts holding them together and they rust over time. I pulled mine back together once as it was really loud. Everything was so rusted that instead of redoing the bolts, I used a clamp to tighten it up.

W.r.t. the vibration, once the exhaust manifold separates, the O2 sensor will read high O2 in the exhaust stream (is the check engine light on) and the computer will adjust your truck to run richer. This will affect the way your truck runs.

I have been having problems with misfiring on my 1997 F150 and I believe that because of what I described above, the richer fuel mixer causes the engine to run hotter leading to other problems with plugs, spark plug wires, and/or coils (the coil over plugs have a wire inside the boot, that is the spark plug wire).

Take it to Auto Zone and they will diagnose with their reader for free.
  • Skip buying a timing light, your vehicle is computer controled. The timing is decided by the PCM and is changed depending on various imputs from sensors.

Since you have this vibration at idle and driving, I would not suspect anything in the suspension, tires out of round, shocks, ect. Before I give a recomendations as to what to check for. Explain when this vibration first started, it may be related to a brand of spark plug that was installed on your tune up. Food for thought, Fords do not like champion spark plugs.

To test your motor mounts, one meathod is to have an assistant put the vehicle in drive with the brake on hard and give the engine throttle without killing it. You should view the engine twist or flex sideways no more than 2 inches. One inch is about normal.
  • Did you check the coils for cracks. Apparently all fords with coil-on-plug are notorious for cracking the coil cases as they age. It is recommended to replace all of the coils over 100K. I found that my E-350 began to vibrate mildly as if it had a bad driveshaft u-joint. The day after I drove in a snowstorm the vehicle began to run rougher, and sounded similar to a lawnmower while throwing no check engine light and no DTC's. The sound indicated to me to check for ignition issues. I began pulling coils and found several of the cases were cracked- I replaced the cracked ones and replaced the plugs and boots on the others. Problem solved. I should not thet there are some very good prices on ebay for the coils- about 1/5th the price of parts stores. Hope this helps.
  • rene007rene007 Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 F-150 with a V6 4.2 and it is throwing whiteish smoke from the tailpipe and it has a somewhat rough idle. I checked the compression and the vaccum and they are fine. I pressure checked the cooling system for a possible blown head gasket and no leaks. I checked for codes and there aren't any and the fuel trim and oxygen sensors seem to be working properly. There are no misfires detected by the PCM and the fuel inector pulsewidth seems fine. The next thing that I could think of is a bad PCM. I don't condemn it just yet since they are very expensive so I was wondering if anybody out there can give me a tips or a heads on this problem. I'd appreciate it a lot.
  • petera58petera58 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. It was fuel injectors ! Believe it or not !

All of the vibration issues on these engines seems to mimic suspension
    or tires, but its not.

peterandrulis@dejazzd.com
  • tdmadmactdmadmac Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 F150 5.4 triton V8 w/ 46800 mi. My cousin has a 2006 5.4 F150 with 51,000 miles, My business rep has a 2007 5.4 super crew with 54,000 miles. all 3 and more I have easily tested have the same engine shake vibration at 1300 to 1800 rpm when revving in park or neutral. The vibration is very obvious and specific in all vehicles. it is harder to detect when driving but feels like a tire out of balance at any speed when 1300 to mainly 1800 rpms is on the tach. In 0verdrive at 70mph,1800 rpm . Off overdrive at 50mph prox , same rpm etc. Different gears will easily feel the shaking and the wipers will shake at that rpm range!! :confuse:
    This is a progressive problem that has now been examined by 2 dealers in Central California. Just today, my dealer Service manager agreed that this is egregious and very obviously an unusual engine vibration at those rpms. He discussed this with a Ford engineer with a new 5.4 and though not as bad, the problem is noticeable. At 50,000 miles it is VERY noticeable when the engine is cold!!!!! When warm it is still obvious!!
    I am asking anyone to check their 2005 to 2007, 5.4 triton engines by revving up the motor to tach read 1300 to 1800 rpms and , especially cold, feel the engine vibration shaking. I think it is a 3 valve cam problem. We need more input to push Ford to qualify and resolve this huge problem!!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    my '04 F150 with 38,000 miles is experiencing the third set of warpped rotors.

the first two were replaced under warranty and now I'm out of waranty so they say I'm out of luck. I rarely tow a 1,200 lbs trailer and drive the truck with ease to save on gas - i've also had the truck regularly maintained, yet I'm now looking at another brake job.

It's one thing to have to pay this out of pocket, but anyone who wants to buy my truck, if they look at my service records, are going to wonder what the hell is wrong with my truck. :lemon:

This along with a complete transmission failure 6 days and 26,000 miles past the factory warranty.

When I'm done with this truck - I'm done with Ford. Ford dealerships these days are so desperate for income they don't think about a long term relationship with the owner - it's all about getting money now to stay afloat.
  • warpped rotors is a common issue with certain Ford trucks. This is how you solve it. Use only high quality rotors, NAPA or OEM not the cheepies from China or Autozone. Next. When the wheels are put on, only snug the lug nuts on. Then lower the vehicle so the weight of the vehicle is on the wheels. Then use a torque wrench and torque the lug nuts to specs. Then drive at least 1/2 mile and re check the torque on each lug nut.

The problem is un even and excessive torque due to the weight of the vehicle, and cheep rotors. Torque is effected by the weight of the vehicle. Do not over torque. Good luck.
  • thanks for the tip mickeymouse.

is it safe to assume that Ford used OEM or NAPA rotors when replacing my worn out warped ones?

When I have the current one's replaced, I'm going to ask for the old parts to see what was put on. If it's some cheap Chinese part they put on then I'm going give someone at Ford a piece of my mind. :mad:
  • Aren't 90% of all replacement parts now made in China, including Motorcraft?