Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Rough Idle/Vibration Problems

Comments

• eldenejeldenej Posts: 7
    My new 2010 F-150 (now with 1400 miles driven) has had from day 1 a very noticable vibration and audible rumble (especially when the truck is cold) at engine speeds between 1220-1400 rpm. Though evident in all gears, this is most obvious in 1st and 2nd. The dealer's service department recognized the problem, but after their failure to find a cause, they declared it "normal." I asked that Ford's area tech rep take a look at it. He, too, acknowledged that "something is going on" but after failing to figure out just what, he, too, declared it"within acceptable limits." So what now? I have a truck I resent driving. Does this touch a responsive chord?
  • hotrodeshotrodes Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Well I have searched for clues as to what could be causing the rough idle, from vaccum leaks, to dirty injectors, nothing solved the issue. Short of replacing the entire ignition part by part, I feel as though I am resigned to living with it or sell the car.

I know Ford sells hundred's of thousands of vehicles with these engines, maybe we are just the unlucky few, or the only people who notice it and expect more from Ford, hence why Frod does nothing about it.
  • I have a 2005 Ford Expedition 5.4 3V with the same horrible vibration. I have a normal idle of around 500-600 and the truck vibrates badly at a stop while in drive. It is amazing that no one knows an answer to this problem. I took it into Ford and they wanted over 900.00 for new Motor Mounts....I naturally declined and inspected them when I got home, they looked brand new(no cracks, stretch marks or other odd wear). This truck has 82K on it, it has never towed anything and has had all maintenance done at Ford, including all oil changes with the Ford MC Oil Filter and Ford MC 5W-20 Semi Synthetic Oil. I am also beginning to experience Diesel Sound Tick(included is a weird clanking noise at about 900 RPM [this is only at 850-950 not before or after]). This really blows Ford could give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about customer care...this is probably the 7th Ford Vehicle I owned Myself and Wife Combined...I wrote a letter and they said Thanks and they cannot help? I wasn't asking for anything free, but if they issue a TSB regarding early make 05 5.4 need the upgraded lash adjusters, then you might think they would do something since the truck falls into that .....I am stuck , but also fed up with the Vibration and don't want to pass this problem onto an innocent person either, I'm just like anyone else, 2 kids with one on the way with zero budget, trying to get around in a truck that's built ford tough, which I cannot afford to fix. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this???? Please message, PM or email y9our issues because I am going to write Ford again including letters from here.
  • Try the cam-phase adjusters.
    There is a TSB on this to replace with new ones TSB 06 19 08".
    Search truck sounds like a diesel. Dose the truck sound like diesel after it warms up?
  • enphluenceenphluence Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    It is beginning to sound a bit like a diesel, but that is not really my concern it is a very strange rattle like sound at 550-650 RPM. Ford said its low oil pressure and the motor needs to be replaced....?? They also said prior that the motor mounts were shot, so don't really know what to say to that.

The car has 82K and the plugs have never been changed, but everyone says not necessary.
    here are links to 2 videos I have of the car 1 is at normal idle and the other is when you stay at 550 RPM(the rattling/knocking noise)
    At Idle
    Knocking Noise 550RPM
  • bartb65bartb65 Posts: 1
    Stock tires finally wore out but ride had been smooth as silk. Bought 4 new Michelins and sometime afterward, noticed moderate to severe vibration starting about 65mph which mostly (not entirely) goes away at 80mph or so. My mechanic for 20-years has tried everything and is as stymied and frustrated as me. He has rotated, balanced, shaved (rounded), aligned, etc., to no avail. He's also checked everything else he thinks it could be. He and I finally decided to replace these tires with 4 brand new ones (also Michelin). It is less now but the vibration is still there at the same speeds. It comes and goes. It seems worse on curves. I guess I could try a Ford dealer but know that they'll recommend a ton of very expensive things and likely won't fix the problem. Anyone else have or had this problem and fixed it? I am at wits end. Thank you in advance.
  • silentflysilentfly Posts: 1
    Mine has this problem also, It has always had a loud vibration in certain rpm ranges on acceleration That has seemed to get worse Easing up on throttle makes it go away, very annoying, but on this last trip it has developed this bad shaking vibration when a load is put on the motor starting uphill. I was not towing anything but had around 700 pounds of gear in the bed I thought it was rumble strips when it first started happening. scared the crap out of me. My truck is a 2005 supercrew 4x4 with only 37000 miles. The F*^%$#@ing truck has been babied. I have never even had it in four wheel drive other than to make sure it worked. How many of us are there with this problem ?
  • noro1noro1 Posts: 1
    I have been reading about people having problems with vibration around the 1200 - 1800 RPM range & the feeling is like driving on the rumble strips on the side of the road. I have this problem too. I have a custom modified 1975 Chrysler / mitubishi LA Lancer that i have rebuild with all ford running gear. 302 Windsor 347 stroker, C4 - C10 stage 2 trans Ford 9" diff with Detroit Trutrac Centre.
    At first i thought that maybe the exhaust was touching the undercarriage somewhere. but it's not.

The vibration is only there while driving, so i tested it out by putting the trans in neutral when the vibration starts at the 1200 RPM range & the vibration stopped.
    Now this is making me think it is the drive shaft that is out of balance.

So I am going to get the drive shaft balanced & I will post the results here.

I am pretty sure that this is the problem. because if it wasn't a problem with balance, the vibration would be there all the time. the vibration is only there between 1200 - 1800 RPM & then its fine one I get through that rev range. so I tend to go through that rev range as fasts as I can because I cant stand the vibration & the fact that everyone takes notice of my car, it a bit embarrassing. thats my excuse for putting my foot down in second gear anyway : )
  • hey I have a 99 f150 with a 5.4 . when I bought the truck it had that same knocking noise. and it turned out to be the passenger side exhaust manifold had rotted out. I have herd that ford has a problem with them for quite some time. it sure didnt sound like an exhaust manifold to me but it was. I was just glad it wasnt the engine. hope you figure it out.
    unfortunatly, I also have idle problems with my truck and cannot figure it out. I see alot of people have this problem.
  • mcnga100mcnga100 Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem ( new Michelin tires also). If you find an answer, please let me know. I have vibration between 45-50 and again at 60.
  • mood99mood99 Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 F150 FX4 with same issue. Did you ever discover the root of your issue?
  • I have a 2005 Lariat. Just bought it about a month ago and have been doing maintenance on the weekends and working on a rough idle problem. Finally solved it.

Things I did:
    1) Replaced the spark plugs with Champion 7989. They don't break in the engine.
    2) Gapped the plugs to .45 which is a little lower than recommended.
    3) Replaced all the ignition coils (got 8 of them for about $120 on ebay)
    4) Changed Fuel Filter
    5) Used mass amounts of injector cleaner.

Despite all of this, it made very little difference.

6) Replaced the battery (believe it or not, this helped a lot. Bad batteries cause sensor problems due to low voltage)
    7) Cleaned the throttle body, PCV valve and Mass Airflow Sensor.
    This made the largest diffence...issue fixed.

Lesson learned, carbon and gunk builds up in these engines really, really bad. You won't believe the difference 1 hour of time, $2 dollar gasket and $3 bottle of carb cleaner makes. Should do it ever 30K-40K miles or so.

I have also heard changing the motor mounts helps but haven't had to do that.

Good luck,

James
  • I have a 2005 Lariat. Just bought it about a month ago and have been doing maintenance on the weekends and working on a rough idle problem. Finally solved it.

Things I did:
    1) Replaced the spark plugs with Champion 7989. They don't break in the engine.
    2) Gapped the plugs to .45 which is a little lower than recommended.
    3) Replaced all the ignition coils (got 8 of them for about $120 on ebay)
    4) Changed Fuel Filter
    5) Used mass amounts of injector cleaner.

Despite all of this, it made very little difference.

6) Replaced the battery (believe it or not, this helped a lot. Bad batteries cause sensor problems due to low voltage)
    7) Cleaned the throttle body, PCV valve and Mass Airflow Sensor.
    This made the largest diffence...issue fixed.

Lesson learned, carbon and gunk builds up in these engines really, really bad. You won't believe the difference 1 hour of time, $2 dollar gasket and $3 bottle of carb cleaner makes. Should do it ever 30K-40K miles or so.

I have also heard changing the motor mounts helps but haven't had to do that.

Good luck,

James
  • i was looking at your post and my truck doing the same thing yours is it is a 2004 cab and half lariat did you ever find any thing out any help would be great thanks kenny
  • 1st, vibration 12-1300 rpm to approximately 1800 rpm not in gear. My 2004 4.6 had the same problem. I now own a 2006 with a 5.4, still same problem. Unfortunately it appears to be a Triton engine concern, not limited to one version or the other. It does not bother me too much in gear and on the road. Is probably a design issue/vibration and most likely not repairable. All engines vibrate, some are designed to limit vibration in operation range. Many foreign manufactures use balance shafts to reduce or eliminate vibrations. American manufacturing does not and normally balance shafts. On a
    V6 or V8, it is normally not a concern as the engine is balanced either internally or externally/ Not sure what Ford engineers did, but the Triton does vibrate as stated in many concerns listed here.

2nd, road vibration in 2004-? I had my 2004 in the shop for a intermittent vibration numerous times and the dealer I bought the truck from in TX could not fix it. Vibration on uphill climbs and light loading. In 05/06?, I happened to be headed to IL for holiday and stopped by the dealer in my hometown. 30 minutes later, never had the road vibration again. Dealer successfully balanced all tires ON the truck. Appears the 04 F150 extended cab maybe others are/is more sensitive to tire vibrations and amplifies the problem. Find a good tire or Ford dealer to balance the tires on the vehicle.

3rd, Engine miss at idle or on acceleration, I agree, have the plugs coils and wires checked and perform all routine maintenance. Remember the fuel filter, too many times it is left unattended too long and takes out fuel pumps or injectors. Run an approved injector cleaner through your tank once in a while, check manufactures recommendation. But using a good fuel that has cleaners to begin with is best in my opinion. If your favorite gas station does not post or brag about cleaners, they most likely do not have the best fuel in town. Use quality and manufacturer approved fuels.

Hope this helps someone!
  • americanbredamericanbred Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Ford has that mentality about this on "The number one selling truck in the world." You would think they will have gotten their game together by now.

I would suggest using all available communication. Tweeting usually works! Facebook should get their attention. Remember, Facebook has the worlds attention. By putting a post on it will definitely get their attention. Facebook has over 5,000,000 people listening.

The truck looks good, the heart of the beast has a problem. There are only four parts they have to research: Engine (with over 5k miles); torque converter; transmission; drive-shaft. Each of the parts should be assessed separately. Then as a whole.

They should value their customer base, if they want us to remain loyal.
  • I will try this on my '95. The rotor on the front passenger side goes out at about 1,500 miles.

My Benz is having the same problem. I will start torquing only after the car is on all four wheels. It makes sense.
  • So i just bought a 1990 Ford F150 that had a few issues. 1st issue. Truck sometimes has a flux in idle but works itself out after a few min. CEL is on but nothing seems to be really wrong with it. ANY IDEAS. i would scan it but its not free here...Someone said to replace the TPS. Not sure if i should......2nd issue this thing shifts fine if you ease into the throttle. but if you stomp on it.... the tranny sound like it slamming into the motor..????? any help is helpfull.
  • stevec28stevec28 Posts: 1
    I had the same issues as stated, our truck is an '08 /5.4L with 99,800 miles. I replaced the spark plugs, serpentine belt, Oil with Valvoline 5w20 synthentic along with z-max and prolong additives ( I do this every oil change). Then I removed and cleaned the throttle body thoroughly. After re assembly and rerun, the vibration and rattle disappeared after 50 miles or so. However, I cannot get the truck to idle below ~ 1200 RPM = to 45 MPH unless it downshifts to first gear which will then allow an idle of 700 ~ 750 rpm. Using too much brake to slow down. Anyone else have this problem? I have removed battery power to enable the PCM to 'relearn' the idle speed / fuel curve but so far no different result. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket programmer for this application? (Note I have a '98 with a 4.6L with 298,000 miles and never had any of these problems)
  • Hi, I was wondering, since the warranty company actually paid for your repair, may I ask which warranty company you have? Thank you