Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2002 Buick Rendezvous Class Action?

Comments

• 2002nightmare2002nightmare Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Hi
    My radio locks up all the time too. I have not yet a problem with the windows though. I just usually pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes and then put it back in and it seems to fix the problem. Try it with the windows too.My car gives me every code when I get in and start is up. I was told it is the sending unit. I have no AC, the lifters tick badly, the radio problem, the sending unit giving me every code imaginable, the anti lock brake light never goes off. ENDLESS problems. What a lemon :lemon:
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    For the radio locked and windows not working, do you have a sunroof? On my pontiac version and that and all kinds of messages indicating problem. In reality the sunroof ;leaked and moisture snuck its way around to somewhere it shouldn't have. Took the cover off the fuse box (both sides) and drove with heater on (towards floor) for for about 100 miles before I shut it off and problem was gone and hasn't returned. Glad I didn't waste money replacing BCM.
  • If there is one, please add me also. Everything in the RDV just started acting super possessed. I don't know what to do.!!!!! AAAHHH!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hello Sickntired2,
    Can you please tell me what problems you are experiencing with your vehicle? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed? How long have the concerns been present? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Mariah, where were you when I had severe problems with that Buick Rendevous from when I purchased it in 2004 till 9/5/2010 when I finally traded it in for a Japanese car.
    You have my name on record as calling GM several times for help.
    I am still paying on my credit card for the dealer repair on my head gaskets that cost $2700,
    The AC went in 2004, ($2000) then both power windows, then the tie rods, then all kinds of other problems, then the head gaskets blew up probably from the Dex-Cool, then the AWD and the Power Lock brakes light went on and they said the sensors were bad, for $700 apiece (I passed), the the PCC solenoid for $495 I fixed, then the TCC solenoid and the Torque converter stuck open and it shifted with a slam.
    I am over $10,000 in repairs on that vehicle, and you wonder why I traded it in for a Japanese car made in Japan.
    Glenn Buick in Lexington, KY made lots of money off me, but you will not make any more off me or anyone I know, as my friends and family know what problems I had with the RDV and would never buy one.
    Besides that car was made in Mexico, I should have known you would not make a car in America, no wonder you needed a bail out of my tax dollars. Not that I had anything left after all those repairs.
    You can pass that all on to your CEO, tell him his car sucks. :mad:
  • We bought ours used with 55,000 miles and we still love it. We love the features and the comfortable ride on long trips. We are still, however, dealing with issues. We occasionally experience the dreaded 'Security' which flashes when you hit a bump (once in awhile). When this happens, the dash warning lights flash randomly. Sometimes this is all that happens, other times once you turn off the vehicle, the radio will become locked, can't use power windows, no heat or air conditioning, door locks don't function, basically nothing works except the headlights and turn signals. I have to pull the cable off the battery for a few seconds to reset (the BCM?). I expect to have to replace that BCM someday... We had a coolant leak that turned out to be the intake gasket and had that replaced. I saw the stories about air conditioning condenser failure, so I removed the one screw that is missing on the new condenser they put on when the old one breaks, hoping it will prevent it from failing. So far so good on that. I had to replace the rear differential fluid because of the squeaky noise it made when backing up. I had to replace the front left wheel bearing and, after a recall was announced, I was reimbursed my parts costs from Buick (they would not reimburse my labor which I reported at about $60). Now we have this clunking, lumbering sound coming from the right rear of vehicle. No one can seem to find it. I've had the spare tire off and had several different places inspect it. I even replaced both rear 'knuckle' assemblies which cost $440 for parts and still had the clunking. I am now sure it is the strut. I finally realized this after driving on a real bad road. The right rear strut couldn't keep up with the bumps and was just 'hammering' itself down the road. That is why I stumbled upon this site, looking for rear struts. We now have 85,000 miles on it. All that in 30,000 miles and still dealing with issues. We decided to keep it because we like it, we have invested some time/money into it and hopefully the major issues are over, and I know other vehicles will have their own issues too. My brother-in-law had a transmission go out in their RDV :( , then they sold it. It had a hitch on the back when they bought it. We won't be putting one on ours...
  • juliaomjuliaom Posts: 29
    edited September 2010
    Rendezvoodoo is so true. I had so much money in mine at the $10,000 mark I thought I would keep it too, but then the AWD went out, the Power Lock Breaks, then The Torque converter stuck on on, then both the solenoids (?), and it was slamming into gear at 21, 30, and 41 miles an hour. I thought then I would have to pay for a new trans, so I cut my losses and dumped the GM disaster.
    Love my new Nissan Murano, pearl white, leather seats, a 2007, made in Japan by Japanese.
    Not like the Buick Rendezvoodoo, which I found after I bought it was made in Mexico probably by underpaid Mexicans with no health care benefits, while the fat cats in Michigan or wherever took their outrageous bonus' and drove the company into the ground.
    Even making the car cheaper for them in Mexico did not reduce our price, only added to their bottom line and reduced mine to pennies.
    Now my tax dollars are bailing those jerks out, they should have let them fold, they are not producing jobs anyway, just whinning about no money.
    Guess the Mariah from GM Customer service that answered someone on this board is scared to show her hand, as I have had no response.
    If I were you at 85,000 miles, you better dump that disaster, as the head gaskets are probably leaking and are ready to explode about 93,000 miles.
    That was $2700 that I am still paying on.
    Trust me, this car will not get better, it will only get worse, and even as comfortable as they are on the inside, it will explode.
    If you value your retirement, you better trade it in for a foreign car.
    To Mariah and GM, no one in my earshot will ever buy a Buick ever again. ;)
  • Hi Mariah
    I wrote GM customer service several times about the extensive problems I have with my Rendezvous and never have received any type of response. The entire sending unit in my car is fried!!!!! It gives me every code all the time (low oil pressure, low oil engine level, service traction system, service Anti lock brake, etc. etc. etc.) I took my car in two times before the warranty wore out for these same issues and of course the dealership could never duplicate the problem. Low and behold as soon as the warranty ran out I was told " Your whole sending unit is bad and it is $1800 to fix" - WHAT????. Also the air conditioning stopped working right after the warranty ran out. AND the worst problem of all. I CANNOT drive this car in the winter, it is a serious life risk. The back of the car sways all over the place. I have had several repairs made to the back suspension including replacing the springs and the spindles. No one can diagnose the problem. I have spent thousand of dollars on this issue alone and to no avail. I am terrified to put my family in this vehicle in the winters. This is the WORST car I have ever owned. :lemon:
    Just my thoughts
    Thank you
    Hello 2002nightmare,
    I apologize that nobody got back with when you wrote us. To clarify are you current concerns the sending unit is bad, the back suspension, and the air conditioner? Or have any of these been fixed? Also, can you please e-mail me your VIN and current mileage? Thank you,
  • Mariah, I have a 2002 Buick Rendevouz with VIN number of 3Z5DA03E82536011. My heater no longer is working and I have taken it to get checked out at numerous dealers and no one seems to know what is wrong. Please Help!!!!
    Hello Melly3080,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on with your heater? How long has the concern been present? Can you please resend your VIN via e-mail it didn't go through you maybe missing a number? You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • phlupphlup Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum, and I too wish I hadn't bought a used 2002 Rendezvous. Goes down the road pretty well with 105K miles, BUT required a complete rebuild of tranny & xfr case around 75K; fuel gauge inop for last 10K or so (solvent additives haven't fixed it); just learned (a) we've probably been driving it since purchase @ 45K with broken rear coils, and (b) in effect, we've also been without a spare tire for much of that time, inasmuch as (1) it's flat, and (2) it cannot be accessed -- or even inflated -- without using a cutting torch or a die grinder.
    The forum's ostensibly about a class-action suit, but the only one I've found (Dex-Cool, or some such) appears to have wrapped up its claims two years ago. Can someone save me from reading 226 posts and tell me if there's a suit presently accepting claims? Thanks.
  • I solved the rear clunking problem by replacing the rear shocks. The CXL has coils springs with external gas shocks in the rear. I grabbed the 'bad' one and shook it a little, heard a slight rattle-it was shot. Once I removed it, it would not return to fully extended position on its own. I don't know why the two places I took it to could not figure this out.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Can someone save me from reading 226 posts and tell me if there's a suit presently accepting claims?

Try the "Search this discussion" feature at the top of this page. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • All I can say is ##!*#!! car! Can some one please, please, let me know if there is a law suit. Add me to it, to many things to list all. I'm a single Mom, with two kids,can't afford this. Will be calling CJOH TV and MarketPlace if nothing is going to be done!!!
  • I purchased a used 2002 Buick Rendezvous in April of 2004 from a GM dealership (above). It is an AWD V6 CXL SUV. My car manual specifically states not to use anything other than DexCool antifreeze. I was afraid to use anything else because I thought using the \"wrong\" antifreeze might damage my engine. ??!! I never received any notice from GM or the Dealership or Dexcool regarding the problems on this vehicle and DexCool. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL AND ALL CAR OWNERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED AS SOON AS THEY REALIZED THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH IT! Even after the lawsuit I did not get notified in any way, and the dealership never told me to stop using DexCool, so I have been continuing to experience engine problems!
    Damage Resulting = I bought the Rendezvous on April 3, 2004. It had 37,591 miles on it. I paid just under $20,000 for it. On 12/8/05 I did a transmission flush. Four months later, on March 9, 2006, the car was found to have the intake manifold gaskets leaking oil and coolant, and the front timing cover seal was leaking. It also needed front and rear brakes. At that time they told me the coolant was leaking all over everything and was getting into the transmission (and the brakes, too, I think.) Had to have another transmission flush done and I think coolant flush done - cost was $222. I had 3 estimates done for the rest of the work and they ranged from $3,300, to 1700 to $1,380. it cost me $89 and $73 for two of the estimates. Had work done at 4th shop on 4/20/06, cost me $730. On August 22, 2007, I had to have the intake gasket done again as well as a coolant flush; cost me $492. On August 11, 2009 I had to have the oil pressure switch replaced as it was leaking
    plus other work; total was $257. I was told about a year ago that the intake gasket was leaking oil and coolant again and had to be replaced again. The car did not pass inspection in June of 2010; one of the problems is transmission is slipping. Is that a result of the Dexcool coolant contaminating the tranny? I have thrown good money after bad into this car, and now the value of it is almost nothing. I can\'t afford to have it fixed again and I can\'t afford to buy another car. I can\'t sell it in this condition either (needs steering rack again, air compressor and rear air shocks in addition to the intake gasket.) I have also had problems with wheel hubs, bearings, harness, & wheel speed sensor. Engine is throwing lots of codes now. Air compressor is unique to the 02 & is $600 alone for the part. (BTW those of you with loud grinding noise problems if you have automatic load leveling it's probably your air compressor going.)

The interior & body are great, love the ride and the features. I just can't believe what a lemon this car's engine is, and I can't believe this car has dropped so far in value! Has anyone had any success with flushing their radiator, replacing the coolant with something other than Dexcool, replacing their gasket, and then been fine?

Love to hear success stories about how folks fixed their RDV problems & how they made headway with GM.

Thanks.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    3 sets of intake manifold gaskets? That sounds really unusual to me. GM had a new replacement gasket available in 03' and I haven't heard of any problems with the new part from anyone (doesn't mean it hasn't happened though). I also don't know how coolant manages to get into transmission from a leaky intake gasket. Some have switched from dexcool to regular green stuff, just should be very careful to fluch ALL the dexcool out first (I hear they don't play well together).
  • Yes, my driver side window fell into the door & I had to have it fixed. I'm concerned about your issues with acceleration, tho. It makes me wonder if you have a transmission slipping problem. You might try having them replace the solenoid & see if that helps.
  • Yeah. 3 intake gaskets. Huh. Fight to get GM to cover it, or offload a vehicle I still owe on and hope I don't inherit someone else's lemon? I'm having a hard time with this decision. I have loved this car. I just can't keep throwing money away on it.
  • I have had all the problems mentioned in post with my 2002 Buick Rendevous. If there is a class action please post information. I purchased mine in 2005 and started having problems in 2006 and it got worse as the years went on. It is in the shop now because the body modual system needs to be replaced. It has been a nightmare with this vehicle. Please post on FB and here if there is a class action as I do not want to miss out.