Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2002 Buick Rendezvous Class Action?

Comments

• marzalzmarzalz Posts: 2
    It seems that many 2002 Buick Rendezvous owners are having the same similiar problems that we are currently and have been having. I love my car but I have to say the way it was built is a headache. Not all are made of money and can easily just go out to buy another vehicle to replace this terrible made automobile. Yes, indeed a regret to buy this kind of SUV but why bother when whats done is already done. Can't try to sell it or trade it when knowing the problems that are occuring because of the guilt you would feel. It will then be someone else's problem that can lead to a lawsuit or even worst accident. Dealerships can't fix intermittent problems, GM company will not make any recalls, so what can we possibly do? Well we've reported a safety issue to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in March of 2006 but so far no word. Here are the problems we have been and currently have: :mad:

1. Internal and External lights all shut off even when car is running (SAFETY ISSUE!!!) We've had incidents while driving on highway during night hours and all lights just shut off causing complete darkness long up to a minute. Happens anytime of the day! BCM was replaced but it did not fix anything. Started just couple of months after we bought it brand new and til this day it still occurs.

2. Security mode turns on, if thats what you call it. This is where Service Engine indicator comes on, locks up radio, stops clock, doors lock up, and AC stops working. Basically everything locks up.

3. Starting car is hard to start as if it will stall. Beginning Aug. 5th 2006 the car won't start at all and is stuck in my garage. July 31st was last driven and it took couple of starts to get the car to start adn it drove fine and no problems starting until August 5th when it just shut down.

As far as reporting it to National Highway, I guess there are just couple of people that has this kind of issue so, maybe that is the reason why no recalls have been made nor feedback on these complaints. Judging from this forum it looks like there are many more complaints on this forum than the National Highway complaints, why so? You want a recall, you want your problems solve, you want to spend less, you want to enjoy your car, REPORT THE COMPLAINT!

Issues involving safety issues should definitely be reported!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

So, we are left with a faulty car in hopes that GM will make these recalls and we are left with us pulling out our hairs for the expenses we have to make to get this vehicle fix. Why not do something about it? Make a complaint (already did), lawsuit (can't afford a lawyer), and an easy way to get back at the GM...Spread the word and do not buy there cars. Maybe it will make GM realize that you can't just sell something and leave your customers in the dark. Is GM that heartless? :confuse:
  • I am very helpless......I drove my 2002 RNDVZ for year and half without A/C because i can't afford to put new condensor & labor to fix it. finally i had to replace it last month in july 2006. I can't afford Dealer mechanic because they were very expensive so had to go thru local mechanic. Just fixed the condensor last month and week later, A/C compressor started making lots of noise and head gasket licking ....dealer quoted me $2350.00 for parts and labor to fix it. I can't belive it...I just had to put brand new condensor and now compressor and head gasket......I don't have that much $$$$$$$ to fix it. I am stuck and helpless. i have only one car and that i can't repair because of big expense to fix it...i am not rich ....but i don't have other option besides to fix it otherwise how i go anywhere without car...but i am helpless becasue i don't have money....Very helpless :cry:

I am very confused
  • I have this same problem. Can anyone tell me about how much the wiring will cost to get fixed? I dont want to get ripped off by a dealer or mechanic.
  • My sympathies- we have the same problem. We still owe $'s on the car- we have no A/C, we have the continued starting problem (the one that GM denies),and I'm worried about the head gasket & computer. :lemon:
  • Fortunately, mine was done under warrantee. I'll tell you the extended warrantee paid off with this car. I just traded it in because they refused to do anything about my continued problems with the ABS engaging. One mechanic told me it was the computer, another told me the testing was inconclusive. They didn't want to but a $2,000 part in!!!
  • What is the name of the dealership and city or telephone number. My car has just started doing the same thing and I would like for my dealer to talk to the your shop to see what they have done to fix it.
  • To all RDV owners,

Sorry to hear all the problems that you guys had. I was in the same boat. However, now I can say that is all in the past now. I just traded-in my 2002 RDV today, and I definitely did not purchase another GM vehicle. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Lucky you! I still owe money on mine so I'm stuck for awhile. It would be great if we could forward all these posts to GM- don 't you think? :lemon:
  • Over 2 years ago we dumped our lemon 2002 CXL RDV at a big loss!No dealer wanted to give us anything in trade for a 2 yr old 35,000 mile RDV.We finally got a new 04 Toyota Highlander Limited that has been great so far.
  • I decided my next car will not be GM either after spending thousands of dollar on my 2002 RDVZ... Can't even trade-in because Dealer want it very cheap (even GM dealer know about its reputation)...so stay away from Buick/Gm. Go for toyota or Honda.
  • Both myself and my wife have been life long GM Car owners. We believed in supporting our labor and being patriotic to products made in our own country. After owning 2002 Buick Rendezvous with horrible problems and how GM has been non responsive in even acknowledging these problems, we have decided to dump GM for life and never ever buy any of their products. We are seriously looking at either a Toyota Highlander or a Honda Pilot as our next vehicle. We are trying to trade in our 2002 Rendezvous, and its value is so little we would be pretty much giving it away. Considering all the repairs we had to do, this has been the most expensive car to own and operate (in fear) in our 50+ year lives.

Bad (not good) bye GM, wishing you the fastest demise from existance so that you can not inflict the pain you have inflicted on us to any more loyal and honest customers.
  • I bought my 02 Rendezvous in Dec 05 and I just replaced the BCM, cost me $500. I also called Buick @ 800-521-7300 and they told me they have never heard of this issue before. All of the lights would go out, including brake light & headlights. Scared the dickens out of me, first time it happened was at night. I almost wrecked the thing, and I have been an only GM buyer for 12 years since I started driving. Needless to say I will buy a Honda, they at least own up to there mistakes, most of the time. PLEASE PLEASE call buick if you have not all ready done so. Also please write GM a letter @ P.O. Box 33170 Detroit, MI 48232-5170. Make sure you send so that it can be traced, otherwise they will say they never received. Please join me in bringing the rest of the public up to speed, before one more person is affected. I went ahead and paid for the repairs even though I could have traded the POS in, but I am a person who will not do that to someone else.. for those of you who did SHAME ON YOU!!!
    I have started to smell AntiFreeze and I bet I am about to have alot more problems.
  • Oh, you won't believe the problems that are about to start for you. We bought our 2002 in Jan/06, with 124000KMS. on it. We fell in love with the styling & the handling etc. I so wish that we had researched on this site before we bought. The dealer said "Don't worry- I'll look after you- just bring it to me if any issues". What a joke that was. As soon as we left with it, he didn't want to know us anymore. The problems started immediately.( Of course we bought an extended warranty- but it's a powertrain warranty which doesn't cover the issues we have had.- This warranty cost us $1500.)The 1st & biggest problem has been the starting issue- it seems when running errands etc., if the car is started several times in a short period, it just stops starting- almost like it needs a rest. If you wait an hour- it starts again. This ususally happens when I have a busy day & can't afford to be stranded. It's gotten so bad that now when I know I have several stops, I leave it running. That's great for the gas mileage & I can see the temp.guage climb!!!There were several diagnosis- fuel pump, connector under the front seat, spark plugs etc. We thought we had it solved with the spark plugs. GM denied any knowledge of these starting ptoblems, yet reading this site it seems there are thousands of us with the same issue. Our A/C has never worked- again it seems that it was a problem with the 2002 that was rectified in later years but again GM says they never heard of it. Why would they fix something they never heard of???? The car is beautiful when it runs & if GM stood behind their product I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but when they call me a liar....well that's it for GM products in this house. Sorry to go on for so long---------- :lemon:
  • jk27jk27 Posts: 244
    Just a reply to your "post of impending doom" ... not all 2002 Rendezvous are lemons, evil or unreliable. And there is certainly no guarantee that the previous poster will experience ANY of the problems you have (A/C, starter). I've owned a 2002 RDV for 4.5 years. It's always been reliable and I have not experienced any of the starting problems you have. I've had a few problems (as I have had with ALL cars I have ever owned). Most were repaired under warranty. Some were not, but buying a new car does not guarantee no maintenance or repairs.

BTW, if your AC has never worked, why haven't you filed a lemon-law claim or filed a claim with the BBB Autoline? That would be unacceptable to me, and I find it hard to believe that your dealer wouldn't fix it.

Just keep in mind that no car manufacturer will pay for ALL repairs for as long as you own the car. 2002's are now almost 5 years old -- well out of warranty for most vehicles (except for Hyundai and Kia).

Would I buy another GM/RDV? Without hesitation, although I will probably move into a minivan next for cargo capacity reasons.
  • I am hoping my problems do not get any worse, I did go over the weekend and look into buying "THE CRAVE" the new Honda CRV. I am totally in love with it.

Anyways I have contacted someone in regards to my issues with my Buick, regarding a class action here is a link for anyone interested in checking it out. classcouncil.com
    I wish everyone the best of luck.
  • Agreed. We own a 2002 Rendezvous that currently has 48,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever done to it (other than routine maintenance) is change the blower motor resistor pack, which I did myself. Its unfortunate that people who have good experiences with a product don't post more often. It probably gives an unfair representation of overall product quality.

My wife was recently in an accident in our Rendezvous. She lost control on a snowy Chicago area tollway. Her injuries were minor (bruised shoulder), but the RDV sustained $9300 in damage, primarily to the front-end. The insurance company did not total it, as the repairs were still under 80% of its value. So I find it hard to believe the $2000 trade-in claims. After almost a month, we finally got it back. So far so good. It drives just as well as it did before. The big lesson here is that the RDV did its job of protecting the occupants at the expense of the vehicle. My 2 year old son was in the car too (2nd row), and he sustained no injuries.

As far as the intake manifold, I also have a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville that I bought used in 2003 with 53,000 miles. I know the dealer changed the upper intake manifold before I took delivery. Its 2007 and I'm just shy of 100,000 miles and it continues to be a very reliable car for me. I drove my 1991 Bonneville to 186,000 miles.

Cars are complicated machines. And no matter what company you buy from, the potential for a lemon is always there. Foreign car makers are not exempt. My siblings have horror stories about Toyota and Mazda. So I can honestly say I will seriously consider another GM vehicle.
  • nbw0305nbw0305 Posts: 7
    Trust me your problems will get worse and you will get NO satisfaction from Buick or GM. I finally gave up and bought a Nissan....if I were you I'd go for the HONDA!!!
  • Well let me just start by saying, I have not had any more problems to speak of yet. However I don't believe for a minute that I won't. My class action is going nowhere as no one else has contacted them. As far as RDV getting a bad rap well all of us have alot more miles. So I hope that yours does good, I want to believe the GM has gotten at least a couple of them right. I also own a GM Truck we bought it brand new and not one problem. Everyone I know has had problems with these things. I wish everyone the best!!
  • tigfittigfit Posts: 7
    Well my Buick 2002 Rendezvous started having the same electrical problems as others! 80,000 miles on it! I will be driving down the road at night and if headlights are on auto all of a sudden everything goes black. Door Locks go up and down at same time ABS lights up for a second some time panic horn starts ,air conditioning shuts down and battery light goes on then off. First started about 6 months ago when the air would not work but I did not know it was same problem. Took it to Dealer and they grounded positive cable on the battery for only $86.00. They told me it probable is computer it may happen again or may not!
    Well I can see I am going to be in for some problems! If I find a cure I will get back to you all!

To Bad its such a nice vehicle!
  • I can tell you what is wrong... you have to replace the Body Control Module (the computer). There is no other fix, and trust me it may go away for a few days, but it comes back. I think I paid $600 total to have it done, but my husband is a certified mechanic and got me a good deal!!