Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids the Real Payback

1151617181921»

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "It's more than likely this new engine was of a more advanced design as well."

Oh yes, they added VVT to the new 2.5L engine. But my point is still valid - smaller is not always better. I don't know what would have happened if they could have put VVT on the current 2.4L, but engines tend to move on once they get past a certain design point, and the 2.5L is the new engine for the Escape.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Someone mentioned that the average new car is weighing about 3,000 pounds and I think this is completely out of line. A 2 door sports car like the Ford Mustang should weigh well under 2,000 pounds, not almost 35000!

One of the biggest hurdles to getting better fuel economy is how much weight has been added to vehicles over the last 10 to 15 years. Most of this weight is added structure for better crash test performance as well as the weight of more options and equipment.

I think the auto industry needs to spend some time using more modern materials like ultra high strength steel and even some exotic materials.

Ford is only just starting to do this, the 2008 Focus drops 100 pounds vs the 2007 through strategically placed pieces of ultra high strength steel. This isn't so much new technology as a willingness to spend the engineering resources to make the effort work.

Mark
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Nothing like an argument with a COMPLETE STRANGER to start your day !!

I was leaving the QT this morning with my newspapers, and a 60-something lady two cars over who was walking toward the store paused and said,

She: "Is that your hybrid?"

Me: "Yes"

She: "What kind of mileage are you getting?"

Me: "About 35"

She: "I'm getting 35 in my little Chevy (she points at her Cobalt LT hatchback) and I paid $8,000 for it. You got screwed."

And she started walking toward the store again.

Now, having owned hybrids for more than 4 years, I am pretty much accustomed to people asking me about hybrids and being "positive" about it and complimenting it, or whatever. But I have to admit: This is the FIRST time someone has come at me with a negative. I was a little taken aback.

She kept walking and saying something else with her finger in the air, something about "General Motors" or something.

Me: "No, you got screwed. I've got a big, nice car and all you have is a crappy little Chevy."

In afterthought, I came up with some GOOD comebacks, but at the time, she was practically in the store and I was needing to leave.

I could have said:

"My car is Bigger. Nicer. Faster. Quieter. Holds it's resale value better. Pollutes less. Is far far nicer looking. Has a better stereo. Has a better climate system. Has a bigger trunk. Will spend far less time in the shop than a Cobalt. You get what you pay for and my car IS three times better than your car in almost every way."

I could have said:

"So if I buy a Vespa for $4,000 and get 70 miles per gallon does that mean every owner of a Cobalt got screwed?"

Very odd to start the day with an argument with a stranger.
This discussion has been closed.