Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Gasoline Engine Problems

Comments

• We have 1994 chev 1500 truck was doing the same type of thing - would start to cough and sputter and seem as though it was going to quit running but never actually did. We would have to slow down considerably and found that if we shut it off and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes it would be fine for a while and then it would start again. We went through all sorts of things like map sensor, o2 sensor etc - someone suggested that the distributor is a problem on these vehicles, had it changed and the problem is solved at last.
  • We were driving and all of a sudden we heard thisloud bang and all the alert lights went on. We pulled over & turned the engine off, but it would not restart and all of the gages went dead. We towed it home & it did not have any power and the window, which is electric, would no longer go up or down. What would have snapped to cause so many issues to occur at once?
  • Hi I have a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 new body with a 5.3.I was told that 99 only will fit my truck,dose any one know if any other gmc year will fit?or chevy.
    I really need the help,the dealer's here in Vermont are no help.
    Thanks
    George :sick:
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What is it that you're trying to fit?
  • I'm sorry it need a new motor and every one's saying 99 only will fit,
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    The manual shows that either a 1999 or a 2000 should work for your truck.
  • my brothers 91 siverado 2500 with a v8 and auto. trans. tachs out after warming up. the truck starts off slow and slowly picks up speed. it slowly shifts after the rpms have been high for a while. the tranny fluid is full.
  • i have a chevy silverado 1500 5.3 and the waterpump went out. replace it and now when i drive a constant speed then let off the gas when i give it gas again it stutters realy bad. when the waterpump went out it did overheat. any advise?
  • This truck, 07 gmc 2500 hd 6.0 litre gas.. has a throttle/run problem at cold start take offs, when I hit the gas, it just falls on it's face and I have to let completely off the throttle and just ease back into it untill it's rollin pretty good.. when operating temp comes up it's all ok. Anybody know about or had this same problem? Thanks for any help
  • This is getting to be a common problem with the 5.3L and 6.0L GM engines. went to Auto Zone to check my engine light, they said MAF sensor. replaced it, but no change. Auto Zone agreed to let return the MAF sensor (very nice folks down there) and was on my way to the dealer. Dealer ran diagnostics check, and found intake gasket to be leaking. ~$350 to replace on 5.3L. Don't waste your money trying a bunch of parts, go right to a Chevy dealer's service department to fix it right the first time.
  • If chevy has a Mass Air Flow sensor, unplug the wires to it, then unplug the vaccum
    hose and put your finger over the end of it,have someone start the engine, if it runs
    smooth, replace the Mass Air Flow sensor !

Ford has the same problem !
  • Two things, one, could be a collasped lifter, or rockers need adjusted !
    If this does not help, replace lifters that are tapping ! Make sure it is not a
    spark knock, caused by off timing or you are using low octane gas, when your
    not suppose to !
  • the low idle was a common problem on these engines. Actually, the real problem is that the accelerator is sticking (although this is not as evident as the low idle; this is why you feel the surge, instead of a smooth acceleration. The low idle is a by-product of this problem). The problem is due to hydrocarbon (sludge) buildup inside the throttle body, and possibly the air flow sensor. He cleaned both (I assume with something like common carb cleaner?).
  • the low idle was a common problem on these engines. Actually, the real problem is that the accelerator is sticking (although this is not as evident as the low idle; this is why you feel the surge, instead of a smooth acceleration. The low idle is a by-product of this problem). The problem is due to hydrocarbon (sludge) buildup inside the throttle body, and possibly the air flow sensor. He cleaned both (I assume with something like common carb cleaner?).
  • Check your manual, but You are right, I think 8' degress BTDC, not completly sure about that one. I do know the low idle was a common problem on these engines. Actually, the real problem is that the accelerator is sticking (although this is not as evident as the low idle; this is why you feel the surge, instead of a smooth acceleration. The low idle is a by-product of this problem). The problem is due to hydrocarbon (sludge) buildup inside the throttle body, and possibly the air flow sensor. He cleaned both (I assume with something like common carb cleaner?).
  • Could be the engine temperature sensor! It was failing so it was telling the throttle positioning sensor that the motor was cold so it kept dumping allot if fuel. So when the gas was pushed it flooded it and it would die!
  • dentekdentek Posts: 1
    did you ever solve your problem i have the same problem
  • will fire sometimes. will run and then stop i have change the coil and it will run for a while and stop like something is getting hot i have change fuel pump, distributor cap n rotor ,spark plug n wires.coil n pick up coil n ignition control module still run n sptop