Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Gasoline Engine Problems

18910111214»

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I have seen this posted elsewhere and one of the issue wsas a bad "ground" from the body of the vehcile to the frame. It seems on some years and models the ground becomes loose somehow.
  • Thank you chuck1. I will have that checked out.
  • oldguy50oldguy50 Posts: 1
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE I had a minor accident... all other electronics work in dash except the fuel gauge and truck will not start...is there a reset process I could try? For instance an emergency shut down....thanks for your help
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Look in your owners manual. The fuel pump is programed to shut down if the shock from the accident is severe enough. There is a way to reset it, check your manual.
  • I've been having a stall no start problem last month , I knew my fuel pump was going due to the high noise so I replaced it with a 60$ pump/unit i found online. I had to wire it directly because it was a direct fit electrically .Everything went smooth until I drove the truck a week later on a cold snowy day. Truck stalled 30 seconds into it running and would not start , I , in the snow started to look for answers . I checked for spark ,which was good and I heard the fuel pump running as I turned the key , also heard the click on the relay in the fuse box. I was stumped and wondered WTF .I had this truck for 15 yrs. So I tried to get the fuel pressure gage screwed on but the snow was blowing and I couldn't screw on the connecter correctly . I poured some gas into the carb and turned the key , I wanted to see if it would at least fired a few cylinders to check crank sensor or distributor components . Well the engine didn't only fire a few cylinder but started right up . It ran perfectly smooth without a miss.....Now I was Pissed because I didn't trust it at all to get me anywhere.
    I started to ask questions and look for info on the Net of similar issues. So this is what I did. 1 . got the truck into my garage , removed the air cleaner , installed the pressure gage correctly , tested the pump ( 59 lbs and 62 lbs when fuel regulator kicked in on acceleration.
    I pulled the truck outside with the fuel gage left on and waited for a cold day to come. 3 days later as I started the truck and started to move it , it stalled and wouldn't start . I checked the fuel gauge pressure and it read 40lbs, I thought great my fuel pump is a cheap one that don't like cold weather ..lol but before I blamed it on the pump I remember a old time mechanic tell me to test the grounds, so I got out the jumper cables and clamped on end to the lift lug on the motor and the other to the frame ,tested the pressure with the key turned and got 59lbs reading , started the truck which ran great until I removed the clamp , which came with a spark , and noticing the pressure gauge go down slowly to 40 as it stalled quickly . I now have a direction which I found the ribbon ground behind the motor crumbling to dust . I knew the other ground to the battery to alternator bracket was secure and also the ground to the inside fender wall . I replaced the ribbon ground with a heavy braided wire and my truck runs better then ever before . I wouldn't believe that many grounds would make the difference . Also I know of the distributor cap has to be replaced every yr before winter or it misses on damp cold days until it is warmed up. I've been doing this for past 8 yrs .
18910111214»